Minford 2009

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Re: Minford 2009

Post by footballfan49 »

I agree wih sider. The Wing T has served Minford well. I'd also think more spread and more spread read option might be coming.

Dr Lou
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr Lou »

I believe and look for Minford to play more of a consistent spread attack next season. The ball should be thrown no less than 25-30 times a game next season. Add draws and reads with slone, williams, mccormick and the other backs.. and wow. Stefan Price will continue to make plays at TE and McKnight will continue to be Cory McKnight with his big plays.

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

That`s the first I`ve heard of a change in the O !

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

same here

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Just because you have speed and skill does not mean you can run the spread or only the spread. Unless Minford improves big time up front physically, Oesch will get killed like Meyers from Portsmouth did this year. The wing T is a good offense and fits their personel.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Dr Lou wrote:I believe and look for Minford to play more of a consistent spread attack next season. The ball should be thrown no less than 25-30 times a game next season. Add draws and reads with slone, williams, mccormick and the other backs.. and wow. Stefan Price will continue to make plays at TE and McKnight will continue to be Cory McKnight with his big plays.

I think they should throw a little more as well, but 25-30 is a little much for any high school, espicially in a run dominated league like the Soc. Not saying it wouldn't work its just that passing is a risk, makes the game longer, and keeps the defense on the field. Besides most of their success came from a good waggle pass, they burnt West with it a couple times. Any one know how Minford's lifting is going?

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

sider wrote:I think they should throw a little more as well, but 25-30 is a little much for any high school, espicially in a run dominated league like the Soc. Not saying it wouldn't work its just that passing is a risk, makes the game longer, and keeps the defense on the field. Besides most of their success came from a good waggle pass, they burnt West with it a couple times. Any one know how Minford's lifting is going?

Three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of those are bad. Minford will have the same basic offensive players back so it really would not make sense to scrap what works. Especially considering the majority of the offensive starters were sophomores and juniors this year. Next year they will have 8 seniors and more than likely 3 juniors starting. That will be a huge advantage for Minford. They will have several backs that can run the ball and the Wing-T suits the backs they have returning. The passing game would have been better this year had the open receivers been thrown to instead of going deep so often. Several times passes were thrown into double coverage when the tight end and running backs were wide open. It is better to pick up 10-12 yards than try to go long and throw a pick or an incomplete pass. I think the West and Wheelersburg games both showed the routes to the backs and tight end were open as Slone, Bryan, and Price had some nice receptions and those particular routes are very hard to defend. Especially out of a Wing-T formation.

As for the lifting, I believe they are starting back December 1st though I am sure several are working out on their own right now.

shoelace
JV Team

Post by shoelace »

Will they be D5 again?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The spread wont happen.

I personally would like to see the wing T stay in place, but I would like to see Minford use the quickness and hands in the backfield more with screens, passes to the flats, etc.

The quick hitting 5-10 yard passes were open all year and Oesch is more than capable of hitting 50-60% of them to open up the running game.

I dont remember seeing one screen of flat pass to a running back this year, and they all had good hands and good speed and quickness. Hopefully we will see it next year.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

the buzz around minford is they are tinkering with the idea of run&shoot offense and the flyin falcon with slone at QB with oesch moving all over the field..like the rest of the country wanted "change" thats what we are going to get out in muletown next year. :122249 :lol: 8) :122246 :mrgreen:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

big-train wrote:the buzz around minford is they are tinkering with the idea of run&shoot offense and the flyin falcon with slone at QB with oesch moving all over the field..like the rest of the country wanted "change" thats what we are going to get out in muletown next year. :122249 :lol: 8) :122246 :mrgreen:

Oesch wont be coming out from under center and Sloan will stay behind him!

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I think Big Train is pulling our leg.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

flyin falcon,single wing you guys know its the new buzz in the football world.........why not :lol: :lol:

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Big Train, where did the Steeler helmet go?

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

11-10.........need I say anymore :oops: :oops: :lol:

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

winning record :razz: no need to say anymore

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Oesch at QB would be a great fit for a spread offense, if the oline can pass protect. If not, its bad. Slone can play any position. Spread wouldnt hurt him at all. Oesch can throw the ball very well and if he has the line and receivers that can catch the ball even if thrown badly, that would be a good fit and throw many SOC2 teams in a quandry. Good line, players that can catch a bad ball, thats when you go to a spread. If not, stay with what you do best.

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

Minford ran the spread frequently this year. They don't have to install anything, They have already got it.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I could see the Falcons maybe using a few more spread sets, but I doubt they go to an all out spread. I'd say slone will stay at rb, and oesch at qb. I highly doubt slone goes to qb though, there's a reason he was moved to rb and it obviously worked well. I think the wing-t is a good fit for Minford, but some new twists on it would help too. I just hope that the guys put the work in the off-season and completely sell out for Minford Football, we are building a good program in Minford and I only look for it to get better.

big-train
Freshman Team

Post by big-train »

oh I see that lil bow-wow has came out of hibernation
bottom line is your boys will be lucky to make post season and if they do it will be another 1st round exit :lol: :lol:

the "flyin falcon"offense,lookout southern ohio! :lol:

Return to “Football”