BEST SOC1 RB'S PAST 20 YEARS?

battlecats
JV Team

Re: BEST SOC1 RB'S PAST 20 YEARS?

Post by battlecats »

Wasnt D. Hamilton from East like the fastest guy ever from around here? State champ in the 100?

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

battlecats wrote:Wasnt D. Hamilton from East like the fastest guy ever from around here? State champ in the 100?

I believe the fastest he ran was a 9.9 100 yards. Tim Love (also from East) ran a 10.7 100 meters during an invitational meet at Minford in either 83 or 84. I think that was considered wind-aided, but Tim routinely ran 10.9-11.1 100 meters. Unless my memory has faded, Hamilton and Love have the record at East.

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

It's cool to see and actually remember some of the guys that played back in my day. Bowman was outstanding and could have played for anyone. ND also had some other good backs then [i think Nichols and maybe Kayser]. They put it on us[GREEN] pretty good.That being said,Joe Gibson was one of the toughest backs I ever saw.He had two games that year[East and Kyger Creek]where he had over 40 carries.He was fast and a natural runner who could run up the gut or bust it outside.Sweet Pea mentioned his O- line.I may have forgotten some but I think it was Phil Bailey,Donny Voiers,Tony Moore,Mark Reynolds, Mark Artis, and the Gills boys at end. :!:

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Carpenter had over 2,000 yards his sophomore year.

Bleachrbum
Freshman Team

Post by Bleachrbum »

Which Carpenter ?

GreasyRidgeGuru
Waterboy

Post by GreasyRidgeGuru »

NICKNEVADA wrote:Based strictly on stats, what was A.Henderson's stats from East? 2G? But competition was low.

I liked that kid. I saw him play my buddy Yogi's team(MAtewan) on film.It was like 64-62 or something.East had Arthur Henderson and Matewan had McCoy. DOnt know if he was the best, but man he was a good one.havent seen too many Scioto county teams play His brother or relative, the year before was a stud too.He playedat when east came to Matewan and he impressed me a lot. The refs sure didnt like him though>that happens every now and then down here, seeing that Yogi is related to most of the refs he hires.lol Symmes Valley had a good back too when they played Matewan a few years back.maybe the Carpenter kid????

SvFootball 07-2011
Waterboy

Post by SvFootball 07-2011 »

Derek Carpenter...

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Judging from the ones I've seen Arthur Henderson from east was very good, I remember his senior year it was always week to week between him and Jerrod Pendleton to see who would have the lead in yards and rushing td's in the area. Another good one that year was Mark Castro from green. Not saying he was one of the best ever, but he helped lead green to a 6-4 record and their first winning season in a long while

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

sider wrote:Judging from the ones I've seen Arthur Henderson from east was very good, I remember his senior year it was always week to week between him and Jerrod Pendleton to see who would have the lead in yards and rushing td's in the area. Another good one that year was Mark Castro from green. Not saying he was one of the best ever, but he helped lead green to a 6-4 record and their first winning season in a long while

mark just flat out abused people

football/fan
Waterboy

Post by football/fan »

i would have 2 say ryan bradford from east... hes only a sophmore.. hes gonna be fun to watch these next 2 years.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Yeah I think Castron started his Junior and Senior year at fullback, I remember seeing he was supposed to move to guard that year, good thing he didn't

bolyard63
Waterboy

Post by bolyard63 »

SvFootball 07-2011 wrote:Derek Carpenter...

i played bitty league with derek but i played jh at south gallia and then i came back to sv and i played 2 years i believe with derek and if you got him in the backfield with any body like holland burcham or owens i can vouch for carpenter being the best running back in the soc i have seen him play some football but he wasnt the fastest kid on the field but he was the quickest and he wasnt the strongest neither but he could hit hard and he had some very nice footwork

Cosmo__Kramer
Waterboy

Post by Cosmo__Kramer »

Tom Bowman has my vote. He was a beast for ND.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Before the SOC 1 and SOC 2 split.

Early 80's Bowman for sure 1982 Grad I believe.
Early 70's Gardner and Hamilton.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

Hamilton played at East but, in that time Portsmouth City Schools had a rule that if you were pregnant or had a girl pregnant you could not play sports! Then he went to West and played ball!

Arthur Henderson... one of the most explosive and elusive backs I have ever seen run with the ball! As long as it was not raining! Because of his shifty moves; when it rained it was a problem for him!

I would have to say the best backfield to ever come out of East is: David Bradford & Guy Dempsey hands down! Both backs rushed for over 1,000 yards and both carried fakes out and block for each other like nobody else!

Best back to ever come out of East: Morris (Mow Mow) Gullion!

Greatest East team in any era: Gullion team

Greatest East football class: Class of 2009; 3 SOC I Championships; 2 State Teams; Several SOC All Stars; All District All Stars and All State All Stars.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

Gullion
Bowman
Parkes

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Mike Harden- Oak Hill

OldBlue
Freshman Team

Post by OldBlue »

Ryan Eggar from Valley

Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

I played on the same team as Rob and Shane at Green back in the day. Both were very giid running backs. I remember playing Newark Catholic in the playofs with Rob Kely (Ohio State, drafted in Rd 2 by New Orleans). Kelly was a beast.

Infortuantely, we lost to the Green Wave. NC was defeated in the next round by eventual champion St. Henry with QB Bob Hoying (Ohio St. and drafted by Philadelphia) and C Jeff Hartings (Penn St. went on to win the Superbowl with the Steelers in 2005.)

re
Waterboy

Post by re »

1981 -- ND- T. BOWMAN VERY BIG HARD RUNNER
GREEN- J. GIBSON VERY HARD RUNNER GREAT GUY VERY GOOD SPORT
VALLEY- R. CORIELL VERY VERY FAST IF HE GOT A STEP HE WAS GONE

Return to “Football”