Southeastern Ohio Football, CHANGE,CHANGE,CHANGE

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Southeastern Ohio Football, CHANGE,CHANGE,CHANGE

Post by Carl Spackler »

After watching West go down last night and hearing about Ironton and Burg going down this weekend also, Maybe they should adapt the Obama plan of change. It is time to get away from the run 1st Robust T or power I .If a team can put 9 in the box they WILL stop the run. You can't run off tackle if the other teams smaller, faster linebackers and D lineman are in the gaps before your bigger, slower linemen are even out of there stance.

Also you can't sit in a cover 2 soft zone against 4 wide recievers. You have to change and play tight man to man on the recievers.It is hard to defend the spread and other passing games when you don't see them until the playoffs.

You can win the SOC with the old stuff, but you won't win the region and go to the finals very often with it. I am not saying that the game has passed our great coaches like Bob Lutz by, but we need to adapt, or be content with beating each other in Sept. and Oct. and getting ready for Basketball in November.

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Southeastern Ohio Football, CHANGE,CHANGE,CHANGE

Post by Westfan »

Carl Spackler wrote:After watching West go down last night and hearing about Ironton and Burg going down this weekend also, Maybe they should adapt the Obama plan of change. It is time to get away from the run 1st Robust T or power I . It is hard to defend the spread and other passing games when you don't see them until the playoffs. You can't run off tackle if the other teams smaller, faster linebackers and D lineman are in the gaps before your bigger, slower linemen are even out of there stance.

Also you can't sit in a cover 2 soft zone against 4 wide recievers. You have to change and play tight man to man on the recievers.

Tell that to Jim Tressel. What about USC? Do they run the spread? No, and they hand pick their recruits from out West. Your right 3 backs and 2 tights may be a thing of the past, but the sets West was running last night were not that. West was not healthy or close to 100% and thats why they weren't working besides their D being very good. I would like to see West pass more, like slants and such. Quick stuff. You don't though have to go exclusively to the spread. I hate the spread. It will run its course then their will be something else.

bluetraveler
Riding the Bench

Post by bluetraveler »

Is this the same Jim Tressel whose teams have been blown out by quicker more pass oriented teams from the SEC twice,the one who wins in a more power run Big Ten then lost in what amounts to playoff(at least what serves as playoff in NCAA)?USC runs the ball well,but did not have two Heisman quarterbacks because they ran the ball.
New Lex used Cannon much as Florida uses Tebow and we know the outcome of that vs Ironton power running game on Friday.
While gahs4ever as a point on how well you run what it is you run,if two seperate style teams do what it is they do equally well,then the System with the better merit wins.
No team in SEO can afford to run the same system year in and year out without changing something do to limited amount of players to chose from each year,some years will require more running,some will require greater use of skill positions such as wide outs.In this area good running backs are more frequent,good q-backs much rarer.Is this the result of systems and development of the players available?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Thought from an outsider looking in.

I agree it's time for change, for some major change , for others let's call it some tweaking.

Unless just making the playoffs is enough then the facts back up that change and or tweaking is needed.

I also think it's time to start playing schools in your own back yard who run the same play book that you all see week in and week out.

Just my thoughts on this. :122245

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Carl, you obviously weren't at the Burg game. LU was a run-first, ask questions later team. Yeah, they threw some passes and completed a few, but there was no college-style spread-option attack. They had one pretty good back who could make a few people miss in space and also put his head down and get tough yards and in the end, he was the difference.
From what I heard about West's game, Ready's line was massive and they beat the Siders UP FRONT.
Ironton has been suspect against the pass all year - no surprises there.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

fuzzhead wrote:Carl, you obviously weren't at the Burg game. LU was a run-first, ask questions later team. Yeah, they threw some passes and completed a few, but there was no college-style spread-option attack. They had one pretty good back who could make a few people miss in space and also put his head down and get tough yards and in the end, he was the difference.
From what I heard about West's game, Ready's line was massive and they beat the Siders UP FRONT.
Ironton has been suspect against the pass all year - no surprises there.

Fuzz:

You are correct, I was not at the Burg game. I think some are missing my point though. My thought is that teams from outside the area finding out that they are playing Ironton, West or Burg know about 99% of the time they they just have to stop the run by putting 9 in the box. I watched New Lex this season and I bet there biggest D-Linemen was no bigger than 215. And they bring the farm at you. If you can't keep them honest with the pass you are done.

On defense if you don't see the pass all year and then come out in a soft cover 2 those teams will slant and out you to death.

I watch alot of football around the Columbus and Dayton area and not one team that I have seen run the old full house or power with double tights on offense or the 5-2 or 4-4 on defense.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I'll dog the 4-4 and the 5-2 every time it's mentioned. I'm not a big fan of it at all. Like you, I believe that you've got to pass - most of the time, you aren't going to be able to live between the tackles the whole game. If you've read enough of my posts on here, you know exactly how I feel about THAT type of play-calling.
At the same time, I'm not one of the "new age" football fans who think the spread is the savior of the world - I realize that everyone has a different philosophy and at the end of the day, you're only as good as your talent permits you to be with the style you choose.
I've seen teams run no more than 5 different plays all game and win just because they're good up front and the defense just can't stop them even when they know what's coming.
The biggest problem I have with this area is scheduling - no exposure to anything much different - just the same ol' same ol' - anything that gets you by/in the playoffs.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

In my opinion I believe the spread would work better in southern ohio because let's face it we're smaller than most other ohio schools...and I know this doesn't amount to much but last year all northwest ran was a spread offense and though the athletes and the mindset were not there to win games or even be in games they were able to move the ball last year really well at times!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wheelersburg kept trying to run between the tackles last night against LU and it just wasn't there. They hit a few for 6 to 10 yards, but for the most part it was 2 yards or less or a loss almost every play. But yet, no adjustments made in the second half and after recovering the opening 2nd half kickoff on an onsides kick they went right back to the fullback dives on the first two plays, then were forced to pass and turned in over on downs. In my mind that was a big turning point in the game and gave LU the momentum it needed to go on for the win.

Carl Spackler
Riding the Bench

Post by Carl Spackler »

I am not saying you need to run the spread, but you can't be so predictable that the other teams knows you won't pass until it's 3rd and 7. Alot of these teams are know putting there basketball team at end and linebacker and play on the edge and in the gaps. The answer to that is to spread them out so that you can run and pass. IT IS NOT TO GO ROBUST WITH 2 TIGHTS AND RUN THE 6 HOLE.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Well before we go throwing West under the bus here!In their defense they did have a key guy out and their core group of good players are 10 th graders! I have a feeling we will see more of them! ;-)

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SOUTHERN OHIO FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

it just needs to learn how to defend the spread.
once that happens OOOOOEEEEEEEE look out!!!!!

I mean where else in the state can they say three teams within 30 miles went to the second round of the playoffs. and started in there region 1,2 ,3.
lets consolidate and make a D1 powerhouse.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I watched the Glenville St. Iggy game and you know how Iggy won. They ran the ball down Glenvilles throat. They might have ran a pro I instead of a T, but they ran basically what you would see from the three teams you mentioned. Teams that win consistantly and go far in the playoffs run the ball. Whether it be the option or T or whatever they run the ball. Playoff games comes down to execution and heart. The team that wants it and plays with the least amount of mistakes wins the game.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

well your right in a way, but the spread killed all three of these teams this week.
if you know how to run it you know how to defend it. try something new!

it might just work ;-)

moty
Riding the Bench

Post by moty »

tigercannon71 wrote:I watched the Glenville St. Iggy game and you know how Iggy won. They ran the ball down Glenvilles throat. They might have ran a pro I instead of a T, but they ran basically what you would see from the three teams you mentioned. Teams that win consistantly and go far in the playoffs run the ball. Whether it be the option or T or whatever they run the ball. Playoff games comes down to execution and heart. The team that wants it and plays with the least amount of mistakes wins the game.

I agree with what you said, You have to run the football to win consistantly. As far as the 4-4 defense goes that is a very good defense if you have great D lineman to run it. This weekend didnt go the way any of us wanted it to but it wasnt because of what we ran it was how we executed it.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

lostcause wrote:well your right in a way, but the spread killed all three of these teams this week.

it might just work ;-)

LU did not run the spread, so you are wrong about that.

bigdaddyblitz
Riding the Bench

Post by bigdaddyblitz »

lostcause wrote:THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SOUTHERN OHIO FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

it just needs to learn how to defend the spread.
once that happens OOOOOEEEEEEEE look out!!!!!

I mean where else in the state can they say three teams within 30 miles went to the second round of the playoffs. and started in there region 1,2 ,3.
lets consolidate and make a D1 powerhouse.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you're trying to say, but I can name an area in the state that had more than that within 30 miles. LIberty Union, West Jeff, Logan Elm(all MSL teams), Sheridan, and oh yeah, Pickerington Central. PC, LU and Sheridan are all right off St rte 256. I see your point though.

bigdaddyblitz
Riding the Bench

Post by bigdaddyblitz »

lostcause wrote:well your right in a way, but the spread killed all three of these teams this week.

it might just work ;-)

Liberty Union runs Unbalanced or Power I most of the time.They even have a position named WIngback, along w/ the TB and FB. Yeah, they get in the gun at times, but its not spread football.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

LU was nothing close to being a spread team. They were all run. burg lined up in run formation, against 10 in the box and it was the PASS that got them their yards. If Burg was anything like last year, passing would have decimated LU. But thats not what Burg did this year and when we knew we could beat them with a pass, we didnt have a passing game. b shank tried, and was succesful early, but he cant throw the ball well enuff with 10 in the box breathing down his neck and rolling to the wrong side. We didnt even TRY to get Shank to fade the ball to Stegman every play. Stegman was the man all night, we just didnt use him. LU NEVER doubled him or even tried.

LU didnt have a real good passing attack either so they just ran the big man behind a great line and beat burg by running.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Teams in southeastern ohio need to get out of "we run the ______". The great teams anywhere run what their personel permits them. For lets say.....Jackson, the spread is not for them. For Athens the power I is not for them. You run what you have. For years and years no matter who was on the field for Logan we ran the I formation every single year. One of the best football players we ever had was a receiver and he played under our old offensive coordinator (until his Sr. year) and he simply did not get enough touches his Sophomore and Junior year and indeed should have but becuase we ran the I formation we were a running team. The big difference in Logan is that the new offensive coordinator knows that and we now run predominantly the spread becuase of our personel. In a few years when Pat Angle, Mason Mays etc. graduate you may see us go back to running formations for lack thereof.

Return to “Football”