2009 Logan Chieftains

loganlocos
SEOP

2009 Logan Chieftains

Post by loganlocos »

Here's a little from the Louisville Thread:

Logan grad wrote:I think before people start claiming a state title in Logan next year they need to look at a few things. First, Logan has never made it out of the regional and Reg 7 is loaded year in a year out. Second, look at what Logan is losing in 2009. They have some holes to fill for sure. This is a great program and they always have great classes. I am hoping Locos can provide some info as to who will be stepping up into the positions left by graduation. The Chiefs have one of the finest QBS in the state coming back, but who will run the ball? Who will replace several key players like Neff and Huntsy? Or Morgan? Can the OL and DL fill their holes as well?

LOGAN DEFENSE
DE - 11 - Jon Neff - 6'3 - 225lbs - SR
DT - 31 - Stephen Miller - 6'0 - 220lbs - SR
NG - 22 - Seth Sigler - 5'11 - 170lbs - SR
DT - 51 - Cary MacLaughlin - 5'10 - 200lbs - SR
LB - 15 - Clay Morgan - 5'10 - 180lbs - SR
LB - 23 - Zach Adams - 6'3 - 205lbs - SR
CB - 01 - Jaush Huntsberger - 5'10 - 140lbs - SR

Coming back in 2009
FS - 07 - Patrick Angle - 6'1 - 195lbs - JR
DE - 12 - Ralph Robinson - 6'0 - 200lbs - JR
CB - 10 - Mason Mays - 5'11 - 175lbs - JR
LB - 33 - Michael Snider - 6'0 - 200lbs - JR
DE - 08 - Ryan Sigler - 6'3 - 180lbs - JR
DB - 16 - Jordan Rutter - 5'11 - 165lbs - JR
DB - 28 - Zach McDaniel - 5'11 - 165lbs - JR

LOGAN OFFENSE

RB - 15 - Clay Morgan - 5'10 - 180lbs - SR
WR - 01 - Jaush Huntsberger - 5'10 - 140lbs - SR
RT - 72 - Derek Shirey - 5'11 - 235lbs - SR
OT - 54 - David Schneider - 6'1 - 270lbs - SR
RG - 51 - Cary MacLaughlin - 5'10 - 200lbs - SR
LT - 71 - Weston Andy - 6'2 - 260lbs - SR
TE/WR - 11 - Jon Neff - 6'3 - 225lbs - SR
WR - 22 - Seth Sigler - 5'11 - 170lbs - SR

Coming Back in 2009
C - 59 - Bobby Russell - 6'2 - 250lbs - JR
LG - 74 - Jeff Murphy - 5'11 - 210lbs - JR
OT - 70 - Tim King - 6'1 - 215lbs - Soph
QB - 07 - Patrick Angle - 6'1 - 195lbs - JR
WR - 28 - Zach McDaniel - 5'11 - 165lbs - JR
WR - 16 - Jordan Rutter - 5'11 - 165lbs - JR
WR - 10 - Mason Mays - 5'11 - 175lbs - JR

LoganLocos wrote:Chiefs will re-load IMO and could be even better in '09, especially offensively. People have to remember that this was the first year in the spread for the purple team. That means the coaches and players not only had to implement the system and execute, but they had to learn how to manage a game with offense.

Defensively? The 2008 team has set the bar EXTREMELY high. No team scored more than twice all season the team allowed only 103 points in 12 games (that includes late scores against the 2nd and 3rd teams!).

Jon Neff is irreplaceable IMO, and I doubt we can find someone as versatile/productive as Seth Sigler. Adams and Morgan were outstanding LB as well as MAC and Miller at tackles. Huntsy was a great mind to have in the secondary.

But Logan will be strong again in '09 if the kids WANT it bad enough to do things right between now and August 28, 2009.

Logan grad wrote:Locos, who will be the guys to step in on the OL? Also, who do you see runing the ball? I love the word "re-load"! I think with Mays and Angle, the passing game is set up for a great jumping off point and the Rutter kid can be a solid 2nd WR with McDaniel. I assume Robinson will play TE, so that leaves a few holes with the OL and RBs.

LoganLocos wrote:
Logan grad wrote:Locos, who will be the guys to step in on the OL? Also, who do you see runing the ball? I love the word "re-load"! I think with Mays and Angle, the passing game is set up for a great jumping off point and the Rutter kid can be a solid 2nd WR with McDaniel. I assume Robinson will play TE, so that leaves a few holes with the OL and RBs.

LG -

Looking at just the returning varsity players, we really only have 2 holes to fill (RG, MacLaughlin and RT Shirey), as Tim King started 8 games at LT while Weston started the last 4 games there.

So I see King and Murphy back on the left side, Russell at center, and a combination of Kevin Smith, Jesse Arnold, and Brock Thompson on the left side.

McDaniel will get the first look at TB IMO, he did a great job when asked to do it this year and Cavinee showed good toughness as well. Don't forget about Mason Mays who has the ability as well.

Mays, Rutter, McDaniel, Ryan Sigler, Jordan Jurgensmier, and Korey Swaim form a great nucleus of receivers.

Defensively, I look for R. Sigler to fill in Neff's end spot and TJ McCray and Arnold and Smith to battle for the other tackle spots. McDaniel or Caleb Valkinburg could be the noseguard.

Mays and Cavinee could be the linebackers replacing Adams/Morgan, with McDaniel, Rutter, Swaim, and Jurgensmier fighting for time in the secondary.

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: 2009 Logan Chieftains

Post by loganlocos »

Here's an early look at the starting line-up looking JUST at sophomores and juniors from this year's team:

2009 OFFENSE

QB - Patrick Angle - 6'1 - 195lbs - SR
TB - Zach McDaniel - 5'11 - 165lbs - SR
WR - Mason Mays - 5'11 - 175lbs - SR
WR - Jordan Rutter - 5'11 - 165lbs - SR
WR - Ryan Sigler - 6'3 - 180lbs - SR
WR - Korey Swaim - 5'9 - 160lbs - SR
OT - Brock Thompson - 6'1 - 220lbs - SR
OG - Kyle Andy - 5'11 - 190lbs - SR
C - Bobby Russell - 6'2 - 250lbs - SR
OG - Jeff Murphy - 5'11 - 210lbs - SR
OT - Tim King - 6'1 - 215lbs - JR
Other Offensive Players:
TE - Ralph Robinson - 6'0 - 200lbs - SR
WR - Brandon Graham - 6'0 - 165lbs - JR
WR - Jordan Jurgensmier - 5'11 - 140lbs - JR
RB - Dylan Cavinee - 5'11 - 160lbs - JR
FB - Michael Snider - 6'0 - 200lbs - SR
OG - Kevin Smith - 6'1 - 215lbs - SR
OT - Jesse Arnold - 6'3 - 240lbs - JR
OG/C - T.J. McCray - 5'11 - 255lbs - SR

2009 DEFENSE

DE - Ryan Sigler - 6'3 - 180lbs - SR
DT - T.J. McCray - 5'11 - 255lbs - SR
NG - Caleb Valkinburg - 5'11 - 165lbs - SR
or...
NG - Zach McDaniel - 5'11 - 165lbs - SR
DT - Jesse Arnold - 6'3 - 240lbs - JR
DE - Ralph Robinson - 6'0 - 200lbs - SR
LB - Dylan Cavinee - 5'11 - 160lbs - JR
LB - Michael Snider - 6'0 - 200lbs - SR
LB - Mason Mays - 5'11 - 175lbs - SR
CB - Jordan Rutter - 5'11 -165lbs - SR
CB - Zach McDaniel - 5'11 -165lbs - SR
or...
CB - Jordan Jurgensmier - 5'11 - 140lbs - JR
FS - Patrick Angle - 6'1 - 195lbs - SR
Other Defensive Players:
DB - Korey Swaim - 5'9 - 160lbs - SR
DL - Kevin Smith - 6'1 - 215lbs - SR
DT - Jake Pogemoeller - 6'3 - 235lbs - SR

What do the rest of the Chieftain fans think?

GreasyRidgeGuru
Waterboy

Post by GreasyRidgeGuru »

The Cheifs will once again win the SEOAL.Man this is boring.I wish Chilly or someone would step up and make the same commitment this program has.At least give you guys some competition.I was at the Louisville game and your team impressed me.First time Ive ever seen them play.Well, I seen them play when the Conrad boys played, but on tape. The one boy played at my alma mater, Glenville State.I followed him down here.I live close to Glenville(Clarksburg)I wish we'd get some more of your kids.
You guys are to be commended on your pride and backing of your team.Ya just dont see that too often these days
GOOD LUCK.
PS--when the Louisville fans had the "you wear purple" chant going, I really wanted to start one on the Logan side"you wear baby blue" I mean come on, isn't baby blue a pastel color. lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The line up looks like a winner

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Next years team is loaded with one of the finest Senior Classes in School history. This team is alot deeper than I expected. It would be great to see them get out of the Region and head to Canton.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

we all know whats coming up with next years class. but, the big question is whats coming after that??? there is going to be a lot of shoes to fill.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I agree next year will be special again. I've watched these kids (well most of them) play football since third grade as Tomahawks. But it seems so early to talk about next year when this year is still so fresh in the memories. What a special season. It seems like we were just seeing them in scrimmages and now the season is in the books. OK, next year-let's not get too carried away yet. There are a lot of shoes to fill. Also, as we learned earlier in this last season, injuries can jump up and bite the team. What needs to happen right now is for the juniors to mature and assert leadership with their teamates and underclassmen. Once the move is made to the new school, get in the weightroom and get serious. Next year might be the best shot Logan has for awhile to make some real noise. Let's go guys. We'll be there behind you all the way next August!

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

I really believe that Logans program is to the point that every single year we can win league but in a bad year we just dont win all of our non conference games and potentially make playoffs. The freshman football team was terrible at best this year but have alot of potential on the team. I believe once Amyx gets ahold of them he will make football players out of them but they have a whole hell of a lot of getting better to do if they would like to be post season contenders. If not, then they will indeed be league champs and be made fun of for making the playoffs and being one and done.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The freshman team showed in the last three games what sort of team it was.The game that were lost were only by 6,8,10 points at times. Getting with upper classmen, and coaches will have this team make up those points with no problem.When they are seniors the talent coming in behind them will show no drop in league play.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

LETS HOPE

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

thats a nice group of upperclassmen :mrgreen:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Logan is Logan they are going to win 9 or 10 games and then give a team or two fits in the playoffs.

As fun as it was causing so many Logan fans blood pressure go off of the charts I wanted to post something good, on a good team.

I really hope they, Logan can stay D-2 because (yes I am going to say it)they have a much better shot a state title in D-2 then they do D-1. Numbers are the main reason I dare say that.

Good luck in 09.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Here is Logan's 2009 schedule:

Aug. 28 - AT Lancaster
Sept. 4 - VS Pickerington North
Sept. 11 - AT Hamilton Twp.
Sept. 18 - AT Gallia Academy
Sept. 25 - AT Ironton *
Oct. 2 - VS Zanesville
Oct. 9 - VS Marietta *
Oct. 16 - AT Warren *
Oct. 23 - VS Jackson *
Oct. 30 - VS Chillicothe *

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

hamilton built a nice school. did pickerington north play pickerington central :?:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Yes and North played with them for 3qs

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Just read Craig Dunn's season ending Logan-by-the-numbers. I'd like to add one number. 0-apparently the number of OFFENSIVE linemen who contributed squat to the season. Thanks Craig!

walker
Waterboy

Post by walker »

dazed&confused wrote:Just read Craig Dunn's season ending Logan-by-the-numbers. I'd like to add one number. 0-apparently the number of OFFENSIVE linemen who contributed squat to the season. Thanks Craig!

Don't know why anyone wants to be an OFFENSIVE lineman. Seems they get little or no recognition for a lot of work.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

walker wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:Just read Craig Dunn's season ending Logan-by-the-numbers. I'd like to add one number. 0-apparently the number of OFFENSIVE linemen who contributed squat to the season. Thanks Craig!

Don't know why anyone wants to be an OFFENSIVE lineman. Seems they get little or no recognition for a lot of work.

Its not new news. You have to be as dominant as Lancasters line before you get recognized. MAYBE If our guys benched 350 lbs and squatted 600...THEN they'd get some recognition 8)

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

grizzlynatural wrote:
walker wrote:

Its not new news. You have to be as dominant as Lancasters line before you get recognized. MAYBE If our guys benched 350 lbs and squatted 600...THEN they'd get some recognition 8)

Yeah, they did so good against Logan's line this year. 20-3 the last two years without good line play? C'mon!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

You know, sports writers and linemen have a lot in common. They do the dirty work without a lot of recognition.

Logan is one of the best covered team in Ohio I'm willing to bet. Who else has daily newspaper without other schools in the area to take away from coverage?

Just 3 years ago Craig wrote multiple articles on the dominance of a senior offensive line from the 2006 season.

It seems that as a sports writer, you only get noticed when you make mistakes, just like linemen.

Return to “Football”