Will Logan no longer be the Chieftains?

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: Will Logan no longer be the Chieftains?

Post by WitnessProtection »

Purple Haze also brings up the issue of licensing rights with the Jimi Hendrix Experience. But I like it!!
How about Purple Rain?
Purple Storm ... Purple Streaks ... Purple Flashes ... Purple Pain ... Purple People-eaters ... Purple Princes (Princesses) of the Hocking ...

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I've got it, they shall be called the Logan.......

PURPLE NURPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :122246 :lol:

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

The very fuzzy navels?

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

based on the last few years

PURPLE REIGN

ole chief
Freshman Team

Post by ole chief »

I like the Grape Apes.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

You would think that about 400 years of mistreatment and promise-breaking would be enough to understand where Native Americans come from. Why would they want a bunch of white people parading around and using a term that represents their culture. If they say that the name offends them it should be changed.
The fact is, their are no teams called the "Whities" and if their were, would the team be made up of Native Americans? No, that wouldn't offend anybody!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

BlizzardMan wrote:You would think that about 400 years of mistreatment and promise-breaking would be enough to understand where Native Americans come from. Why would they want a bunch of white people parading around and using a term that represents their culture. If they say that the name offends them it should be changed.
The fact is, their are no teams called the "Whities" and if their were, would the team be made up of Native Americans? No, that wouldn't offend anybody!

Actually...a University of Northern Colorado intramural basketball team used the name "Fightin Whities" and they were all Native American...none of the "whities" they were trying to offend got offended

So by your logic the Ole Miss Rebels, whose mascot is a Confederate Soldier, should only be made up of southern white males who hate African-Americans?

I think the Army Black Knights should be forced to gain approval from the Queen of England, because without her they arent official "Knights", and black people for using a generic term for the color of their skin :roll:

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

The bottom line is it is offensive. Who are you and others like you to question why it does? If it is offensive, it should be change. And I did not display the logic for which you said. Try being in a Native Americans shoes, then you can have an opinion.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

BlizzardMan wrote:The bottom line is it is offensive. Who are you and others like you to question why it does? If it is offensive, it should be change. And I did not display the logic for which you said. Try being in a Native Americans shoes, then you can have an opinion.

Im part Native American...My entire mothers side is part native american strecthing back a long long ways.

You inferred that Native Americans do not want a bunch of white people using their name so then a team named the "Whities" should be made up of Native Americans to mirror our "offensive" monikers.

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

BlizzardMan wrote:The bottom line is it is offensive. Who are you and others like you to question why it does? If it is offensive, it should be change. And I did not display the logic for which you said. Try being in a Native Americans shoes, then you can have an opinion.

Blizzard as its been stated before by Loganlocos, "But the word "Chieftain" is pretty generic and pre-dates Native Americans. The word is used to refer to leaders in Europe, North and South America, Asia, and Africa."

Offensive? Do you know what it means to be offensive?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

My point is that maybe we should try to be more understanding to the feelings of the Native American community.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

If they were PURELY offended by the name then they would never be persuaded by money to allow the name to stay with the team/school. Basically it comes off as - "Yeah it offends us enough for us to take you to court but if you give us enough money it's okay"....Thats how it usually turns out and thats why I couldn't give a crap.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

They know it is a losing battle. You can pressure college teams enough but most high schoolo teams will not budge. I guess it was better to go with Chieftains (from lineage groups called "Chiefdoms") than to go with the Logan Clan (also a lineage group)!

WitnessProtection
All Conference

BlizzardMan wrote:If they say that the name offends them it should be changed.

Your sceen name offends me. Change it. Now!!! Or I will force you to via litigation.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Excuse me if I don't find that funny.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Who said I was trying to be funny?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Whatever, I am just voicing my opinion. I guess I am a Native American sympathizer.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Maybe snowmen are offended by the callsign Blizzardman, I don't know...

or maybe somebody whose parents died in massive snowstorm...

Why can't we all just get along?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I am ready to. I am sorry guys. I just liked the Logan Purple Nurples too much. My dreams are shattered if they do not change their name to that.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

I am of mixed racial heritage that includes ancestors from Central American Indian tribes. One important lesson my father taught me was not to use my racial background as a crutch or for leverage to get what I want.
Take a lesson from Seminole tribe, which is in partnership with Florida State University in regard to the school's use of the Seminole name, and has been involved in numerous entrepreneurial ventures during the past 50 years. The tribe hasn't sat around whining about the use of its name by some athletic team. It has, in fact, embraced the school's use of it.
Of course, in this age of PC, the Seminoles are probably labeled as sellouts for daring to step out and be creative instead of waiting for the government handout.

I really like Purple Reign, BTW.

Return to “Football”