SEOAL losing yet another school!

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Re: SEOAL losing yet another school!

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Not to say Ironton would do the same thing, but I find it odd that Zanesville announced they were leaving the SEOAL after this 2008-2009 season. Then their AD schedules Chillicothe, Logan, Gallipolis, and I think Marietta and Jackson for the 2009 football season :?: :roll:

Thus, leaving the SEOAL playing yet, another non-round robin schedule again in the 2009 season. The round robin schedule does not begin until the 2010 season, right? I find that too funny. If you want out of the league then why play 5 football games with it's member teams after you exit it? I know Chillicothe has a little past with Zanesville from the old C.O.L. but why waste another game with them when we could of played Marietta in an SEOAL League contest. Instead, we don't and are playing 4 non league games next year. One being, with Zanesville at home. A team who left because of travel and gate draw? :roll:

Ironton, if your arguement was travel and gate draw, the same thing Zanesville said, then, a few games back on one of these threads, one major Zville Poster noted, it was really because of the non-competition that Zanesville was leaving the SEOAL for? Yeah right :!: :lol: :lol:

That is why Zanesville was 1-2 against Chillicothe, 0-3 against Logan, 1-1 against Ironton.

Ironton, my point is, has the Ironton AD already inserted the 2010 schedule for Ironton? The schedules are usually put in 2-3 years out. Right? I can see Chillicothe playing a series once in a great while with Ironton. It usually is a great football game. And I can see Ironton keeping their rival Portsmouth on their schedule. Even keeping Gallipolis too. And maybe Jackson, that is, if they will play the Fighting Tigers after they depart the SEOAL.

But look at those teams mentioned. If Ironton plays all of them on a steady basis, that means they will be playing against their former SEOAL South-Division teams. And their argument about travel and gate draw will look weak, just as Zanesvilles argument did for leaving after this season. Especially wanting to play N-Y which is about the same travel as Logan. Another counter issue.

If your playing the same teams from the league you just left, then where is the evidence for the reasons stated for departing the SEOAL?

Just curious?

I wish Ironton the best.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I believe the SEOAL will survive as long as long time members jackson, Gallia and Logan stay together.
I think if the SEOAL would be willing to seperate into two full divisions, there would have been a chance for Ironton to stay. the bottom line for Ironton is the travel to Marietta, Warren, Logan and Zanesville in all sports. Even if it is limited to once a season, it was too much. A conference of Jackson, Gallia, Portsmouth and Chillicothe would have been a success.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

BuckeyeCAV wrote:Not to say Ironton would do the same thing, but I find it odd that Zanesville announced they were leaving the SEOAL after this 2008-2009 season. Then their AD schedules Chillicothe, Logan, Gallipolis, and I think Marietta and Jackson for the 2009 football season :?: :roll:

Thus, leaving the SEOAL playing yet, another non-round robin schedule again in the 2009 season. The round robin schedule does not begin until the 2010 season, right? I find that too funny. If you want out of the league then why play 5 football games with it's member teams after you exit it? I know Chillicothe has a little past with Zanesville from the old C.O.L. but why waste another game with them when we could of played Marietta in an SEOAL League contest. Instead, we don't and are playing 4 non league games next year. One being, with Zanesville at home. A team who left because of travel and gate draw? :roll:

Ironton, if your arguement was travel and gate draw, the same thing Zanesville said, then, a few games back on one of these threads, one major Zville Poster noted, it was really because of the non-competition that Zanesville was leaving the SEOAL for? Yeah right :!: :lol: :lol:

That is why Zanesville was 1-2 against Chillicothe, 0-3 against Logan, 1-1 against Ironton.

Ironton, my point is, has the Ironton AD already inserted the 2010 schedule for Ironton? The schedules are usually put in 2-3 years out. Right? I can see Chillicothe playing a series once in a great while with Ironton. It usually is a great football game. And I can see Ironton keeping their rival Portsmouth on their schedule. Even keeping Gallipolis too. And maybe Jackson, that is, if they will play the Fighting Tigers after they depart the SEOAL.

But look at those teams mentioned. If Ironton plays all of them on a steady basis, that means they will be playing against their former SEOAL South-Division teams. And their argument about travel and gate draw will look weak, just as Zanesvilles argument did for leaving after this season. Especially wanting to play N-Y which is about the same travel as Logan. Another counter issue.

If your playing the same teams from the league you just left, then where is the evidence for the reasons stated for departing the SEOAL?

Just curious?

I wish Ironton the best.

I agree with your overall thought process here but do you think it is just because those games, since they were already planned were easier to plug in immediately to fill the gaps? They will probably go away in the following years as their AD starts prospecting. I think there may be interest on both sides for Logan and Zanesville to continue their series.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

85inside wrote:I believe the SEOAL will survive as long as long time members jackson, Gallia and Logan stay together.
I think if the SEOAL would be willing to seperate into two full divisions, there would have been a chance for Ironton to stay. the bottom line for Ironton is the travel to Marietta, Warren, Logan and Zanesville in all sports. Even if it is limited to once a season, it was too much. A conference of Jackson, Gallia, Portsmouth and Chillicothe would have been a success.

I agree with that. When they put this together, I don't know why they did not attempt to at least try something like that, maybe Athens and Zanesville would still be in the league too.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The SEOAL will continue but just not sure of the form that it will take. We could also see consolidations of current leagues. As for Zanesville getting out of the SEOAL and then scheduling the teams in it for football just a thought. I think the toughest schedule to complete is a football schedule and you can afford to travel for a football game because you are only going normally 5 varsity trips a year and they are Friday or Saturday night. The problem comes when you are talking all the other sports and travel cost and time. It is easier to pick up contest in all other sports than it is in football. The main reason is that you only have one game a week where as in basketball you could see as many as 3 games in a week. Spring sports could see as many 7 games a week. By far the toughest sport to schedule is football.

The economic side of it also comes into play because you do have to pay the bills. If you talk to people from the schools that left the SEOAL one of the first things they mention is that some schools do not travel well at all. I have listened to people from Athens saying that it was not because of being competitive because they had not been competitive for years. It was about the money and travel times. Ironton people were saying the same thing about the gates. One thing that sticks out in my mind was how some of the SEOAL schools traveled during basketball season when I was around River Valley. Heck the visitors sometimes brought less people than the old SVAC schools did when they went on the road.

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

The SEOAL is a storied league. It would be sad to see it die. I think it would be neat to see the TVC join as a whole and then expand to some schools that re currently independent in our corner of the state. You could go to divisional play only and make it BIG like the OVAC is in the Martins Ferry area.

You could take the TVC Ohio and the current remaining members and make two good divisions. You could take the TVC Hocking and add South Gallia and have another good setup. I also think River Valley and Fort Frye should jump in. How about this:

Red Division
Marietta
GAHS
Jackson
Chillicothe
Portsmouth

White Division
Athens
Meigs
Vinton Co
Nelsonville
Warren Local

Silver Division
Fort Frye
Alexander
Federal Hocking
Belpre
River Valley

Gold Division
Eastern
Southern
South Gallia
Waterford
Miller
Trimble

I know its a stretch but I think this would work.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

It would have been neat if the SEOAL would have done this:

North Division: Logan, Zanesville, Warren and Marietta.
South Division:Ironton, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Jackson, and Gallia Academy

First, I would have had the 4 north division teams work together to invite a 5th team into their side of the league. that would complete 5 teams each.

I would then do the following:
In football:

You play all of your division teams every year. and you play 2 games against the other divison every year. basically the same formula you have now. League teams could also feel free to schedule the other members of the league in non conference games if they wished. That way, if Logan and Gallia or Logan and Jackson have a long rivalry, they could schedule non league games against each other, in years where the schedule did not have them compete in league.

Basketball:

You play every team in your division twice and you play one team from the other division twice. That's it

Volleyball:

You play every team on your side of the conference two times and every team on the other side once. The trick here is that you schedule tri or quad matches on some saturdays. For instance. Ironton, Portsmouth, Warren and Marietta could play a quad match in one location in one saturday. You only travel to one location to play both of the other division schools. that could rotate every year. In one year, Ironton would not have to travel to Warren or Marietta at all. The other three years, they would only have to make one trip a year, to play two matches. You could also play tri matches in division, so each school could get two for one games.

Softball and baseball:

You play every team in your division 3 times and the other division one time. Could you play 5 inning double headers once the time changed? Could ironton and Portsmouth play (2) 5 inning double headers and cut a trip out? Could you play a couple saturday games like is mentioned above for Volleyball? Ironton, Portsmouth, Logan and Zanesville could all play a double header at say Logan on a saturday?

I think you could have a one day track meet

I think you are catching my drift. I think there is a way to make it work.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

mtswngrvsg wrote:The SEOAL will continue but just not sure of the form that it will take. We could also see consolidations of current leagues. As for Zanesville getting out of the SEOAL and then scheduling the teams in it for football just a thought. I think the toughest schedule to complete is a football schedule and you can afford to travel for a football game because you are only going normally 5 varsity trips a year and they are Friday or Saturday night. The problem comes when you are talking all the other sports and travel cost and time. It is easier to pick up contest in all other sports than it is in football. The main reason is that you only have one game a week where as in basketball you could see as many as 3 games in a week. Spring sports could see as many 7 games a week. By far the toughest sport to schedule is football.

The economic side of it also comes into play because you do have to pay the bills. If you talk to people from the schools that left the SEOAL one of the first things they mention is that some schools do not travel well at all. I have listened to people from Athens saying that it was not because of being competitive because they had not been competitive for years. It was about the money and travel times. Ironton people were saying the same thing about the gates. One thing that sticks out in my mind was how some of the SEOAL schools traveled during basketball season when I was around River Valley. Heck the visitors sometimes brought less people than the old SVAC schools did when they went on the road.

I understand the travel in all other sports. But if you are leaving a league, then why play 5-6 games with it's former members, even in football. Thus ruining another SEOAL Schedule to play for an out right round robin CHAMPIONSHIP. Chillicothe played one more SEOAL game than Logan this season. Next year we play 4 non league games instead of playing 7 outright SEOAL games. We are playing Zanesville in a non league game at home. I am sorry, but if I was the SEOAL AD's, I wouldn't appease Zanesville. I would have had to tell them, you left the SEOAL, find some one else to play. Sorry. But instead, we caved as usual and Chillicothe is playing them again instead of Marietta a SEOAL member.

I understand the travel for all other sports, but remember, Football for the most part pays the bills for all other sports with most schools in the SEOAL. If you can prove me wrong, please PM me and tell me how baseball, softball, track, boys tennis pays more than football. Likewise, with winter sports concerning basketball, wrestling and swimming. I see the SEOAL at a point where many schools in the league are going to talk and take a serious look at what the future of the league is and what's best for their individual schools. Your consolidation of leagues sounds good, but no one wants to in SE-Ohio. I don't see Waverly wanting to come back to the SEOAL or voting for it's best SOC II teams to align with the SEOAL either. Likewise, the TVC-Ohio, with former SEOAL members Nelsonville-York, Wellston, Meigs and Athens wanting to realign with the SEOAL in some fashion. Also with River Valley from the OVC and some of it's prominant members wanting to align with the SEOAL.

I think the best move for the SEOAL is to talk and state who really wants to leave next and be honest about it. I believe that Logan is ready for prime time in football and should really seriously consider to leave the SEOAL for the OCC or some kind of configuration in the North, with Lancaster, Newark, Zanesville, Groveport, Pickerington North, Pickerington Central and Westland. Or go independent. Playing the likes of a Desales or Hillard Davidson on a regular basis will only improve Logan.

All it takes is 2 smaller DIV teams to defeat them in the regular season in the SEOAL and their playoff hopes could be doomed. Not saying Logan go, but I think they are ready for the next level up. Everybody thinks Chillicothe is still a large DI school. We are not, we are a DIII school probably headed for DIV status within the next few years. Even though Chilicothe is the County Seat and the major hub for the County not everybody that lives in Chillicothe attends the City schools. The City also is in Unioto's and Southeastern Ross' School District and on the line of Huntington-Ross' school district. The city residents are mostly an elderly retired population and that continues to dwindle.

If the SEOAL would lose lets say Logan after Ironton, I think the SEOAL could stay together with a:

Chillicothe
Jackson
Portsmouth
Gallipolis
Warren
Marietta

There would be more parity and more opportunities for league titles between the schools in football. I don't think the other teams would complain about the trip to Marietta or Warren if that was the make-up of the SEOAL above.

But if the league was to lose Marietta and Warren after Ironton leaves next, I don't think it will last that long, no matter how many say Logan, Jackson and Gallipolis forever. No matter what. No matter how many say Chillicothe and Portsmouth loves the SEOAL. Eventually, the Portsmouth folks would grumble about being the small fish in a big pond. Chillicothe would complain about the 6 non league games they would have to schedule with many having to be Far North or Far West due to no one wanting to play them in SE-Ohio within the other leagues down here. I think we will possibly see one or two more depart soon, then lets see what the other schools do.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

heck why doesnt everyone go independent :mrgreen:

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

jiveturkey wrote:The SEOAL is a storied league. It would be sad to see it die. I think it would be neat to see the TVC join as a whole and then expand to some schools that re currently independent in our corner of the state. You could go to divisional play only and make it BIG like the OVAC is in the Martins Ferry area.

You could take the TVC Ohio and the current remaining members and make two good divisions. You could take the TVC Hocking and add South Gallia and have another good setup. I also think River Valley and Fort Frye should jump in. How about this:

Red Division
Marietta
GAHS
Jackson
Chillicothe
Portsmouth

White Division
Athens
Meigs
Vinton Co
Nelsonville
Warren Local

Silver Division
Fort Frye
Alexander
Federal Hocking
Belpre
River Valley

Gold Division
Eastern
Southern
South Gallia
Waterford
Miller
Trimble

I know its a stretch but I think this would work.

????????????

Your leaving Wellston out of your new league from the TVC-Ohio, who defeats Alexander, VC, Meigs and Belpre on a regular basis within the TVC-Ohio? Only this year and last year did Meigs defeat Wellston. Before that, Wellston had Meigs number for something like 10-8 straight seasons. Likewise with Belpre too. Alexander has only defeated Wellston what 2 times? Last year and in 1985? Wellston still has Vinton County's number in wins verses losses in the TVC-Ohio. Wellston defeated Athens at Athens in their first season in the TVC-Ohio. Only Nelsonville-York has Wellston's number.

I think the SEOAL can survive, but what the make-up of the league will consist of remains a mystery, especially now that Ironton is the third team to be leaving in the third staright year after the expansion of 2006. If not, so be it. The schools will make it through the process.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Two sports pay the bills-football and boys basketball with football having to be the biggest money maker. I am sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Schools will try to stay closer to home in the so called minor sports. Plus a larger school is more likely to be able to get a smaller school to play them in any other sports outside of football. Some schools will simply just play the closest schools when it comes to spring sports because of travel and starting times.

As for 91blue14-there are advantages to being an independent such as different schedules for different sports. There are only two independent schools in Southeastern Ohio right now: Ironton St. Joe and South Gallia.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Two sports pay the bills-football and boys basketball with football having to be the biggest money maker. I am sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Schools will try to stay closer to home in the so called minor sports. Plus a larger school is more likely to be able to get a smaller school to play them in any other sports outside of football. Some schools will simply just play the closest schools when it comes to spring sports because of travel and starting times.

As for 91blue14-there are advantages to being an independent such as different schedules for different sports. There are only two independent schools in Southeastern Ohio right now: Ironton St. Joe and South Gallia.

No problem. If the SEOAL loses many more members and it looks as if the league might fold, many of us at Chillicothe would like to re-think our position and possibly seek the independent route. A position that was talked about seriously before the SCOL quest and SEOAL offer came prior to leaving the OCC.

Chillicothe has no problem usually scheduling local winter and spring sports. The football schedule might be a tad different though. But if we were to go the independent route due to the SEOAL possibly folding, I think we might get some offers in SE-Ohio and South Central Ohio, due to later games with other leagues.

Like the opportunity to play teams closer to Chilicothe possibly on a regular basis in football: The teams listed below are really close to Chillicothe. With old rivals Portsmouth and Zanesville kept on the schedule. Three close MSL-Buckeye and Three close SCOL schools. Add an independent Ironton and next door neigbor Waverly from the SOC II and you have a decent schedule.

Teays Valley-MSL-Buckeye
Circleville-MSL-Buckeye
Logan Elm-MSL-Buckeye
Greenfield McClain-SCOL
Waverly-SOC II
Ironton-Independent
Portsmouth-If the SEOAL folds?
Hillsboro-SCOL
Washington C.H.-SCOL
Zanesville-Independent
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I think we are now on the same page. Football is by far the hardest to schedule. Two schools that you mentioned at one time were on the Chillicothe schedule if my memory serves me right-say during the 70's

Circleville
Washington C.H.

The biggest problems scheduling football as an independent comes in the second half of the season when most schools are in league play! ;-)

Also Miami Trace was an independent for some time in the 90's

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I know. Usually the first 5 games should be easy to schedule, but the last 5 are the hardest.

Chillicothe had Circleville, Washington C.H., Miami-Trace and Greenfield McCalin on their schedules in the 1970's and 1980's.

Add a Hillsboro, Teays Valley or Logan Elm to that mix and there is the first 5.

The last 5 could be Portsmouth, who is always on our schedule, take a few years here and there if they would also revert back to being an independent, stating the SEOAL folds. They are Chilicothe's old rival.

Add Zanesville our old C.O.L. nemisis and SEOAL member until 2009, since they are going independent. Add Ironton who will be independent.

Maybe add a St. Charles Prep who we scrimmage every season and maybe a team like Western Brown or Richmond and we have a schedule.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

Its tough. . .with the socII being a very happy league. . that means ironton and pmouth have to push out to find games. . .
In the real world,
Ports
Ironton
Burg
waverly
chili
that would make a good league, maybe west. . . but they don't wanna leave the socII
Ironton and Pmouth will more than likely have to go independent, Ironton could join the OVC but thats a scetchy idea at first, that could only work if the OVC took RV down the road and dropped them off. . kinda mean, they need to be in a league. . in a world where Playoffs isn't a thought yet, the chance at a league championship is all they could hope for, OVC can't dump River Valley till they are on their feet
the only bad thing about ironton joining the ovc would be they only get 5 games nonleague, and all of those are the 1st 5. . . .could they get in all those great games we want to see?? Itown vs jackson vs pmouth vs burg vs ashland vs logan vs desales? vs chili? ect ect ect you catch my drift? the seoal simply offered some of those games
and I think socII should just add pmouth. . its a good fit, and only 1 team. . if they could take lucasville they could add pmouth, duh thats a no brainer, dumb not to do it
Ironton will join the OVC, but thats not for at least 10 -15 years i speculate

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I see Ironton staying independent for a long time. The SOC II nor will the OVC ever let them in. I can't see it. As for the SOC II, I can't see them inviting Portsmouth in either. Remember, Portsmouth tried twice to get into the SOC II. I hate to see Ironton leave the SEOAL. But I guess there were rumblings of disapproval from the get go once they re-entered the league by several of their faithful followers down on the river.

I think Logan really needs to look at moving out of the SEOAL by moving up to a larger league to help them in DII for the playoffs.

If they do, I think the SEOAL will survive. Thus, keeping Marietta and Warren on board instead of booting the league themselves in the near future.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

if this is true fine let em go that evens the league.this reminds me of the frontier league in baseball.everybody left except chillicothe they were the only true team that stayed all theese years.now,two schools have all ready bailed and a third is heading for the door.and i say fine leave i don,t want to hear any excuses about gas prices or traveling. a real school would gut it out and stay. good or bad.since we came to the seoal we are still here and not going anywhere.so i say fine go. hope the doorknob don,t hit ya on the way out.

Army
S

Post by Army »

I hate to see the Ironton Fighting Tigers go. I wonder who might be next to exit the SEOAL :?: :-D

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Zanesville's AD is the boys bball coach. He was always against Zanesville being in the league, talked to him myself. He is only concerned about bball and being able to schedule who he wants. If SEOAL teams are willing to help him by playing them in football then shame on them. If they want out get out.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

The Wizard wrote:Zanesville's AD is the boys bball coach. He was always against Zanesville being in the league, talked to him myself. He is only concerned about bball and being able to schedule who he wants. If SEOAL teams are willing to help him by playing them in football then shame on them. If they want out get out.

The Wizard,

Put very well! Don't let the door hit them on the way out, I say. I assume the three charter members felt that same way, when the all of a sudden the announcement came with Athens exiting for the TVC right after the SEOAL expansion was preparing to begin during the 2006 season. One only has to look at Logans newspaper during that time, and read Mr. Dunns comments about Athens leaving. Many on here said they never really trusted Zanesville to stay in the SEOAL. Why let them in then? So what, if they were trying to be in a league! Especially, if they are not truly committed to it, what's the use to let a team in that is going to dart right back out a few years later without establishing ties to the league.

What I think really went on, was, that both Zanesville and Ironton thought they were going to join the SEOAL and run over everybody. Something they both found out that wasn't going to take place, real quick.

Many on here, I believe, think the CAVS had the same attitude when they joined the SEOAL, but, it's just the total opposite. Chillicothe already knew the competition within the SEOAL League. The CAVS were already playing the likes of Portsmouth an expansion member with SEOAL Charter members, Logan and Gallipolis too. They knew just what the stakes were and that it wasn't going to be easy, but much more an even competitive field for our kids to play against, than staying in confines of the OCC, where our kids were out matched, outplayed, and beat down on a yearly basis by much larger schools in Columbus. Who knows, now that both teams that are leaving will be independent, i.e., Zanesville in 2009 and Ironton in 2010, maybe they can schedule each other in football. You think? Then lets hear the gate draw and travel complaint from both schools. I think Ironton will find out real soon that all those Kentucky Teams they used to play will not be so adventurious to replay Ironton again. So Ironton for Football, will have to drive North or into West Virginia. I believe they are making a big mistake in the long run for leaving the SEOAL. But that is my opinion.

A close friend of mine who is heavily involved with SEOAL Sports stated, that when Ironton said yes in 2004 to re-join the SEOAL in 2006 for a third time, that they stated to him and a few others, they would try it out for 2 years. To these certain folks who had that knowledge within the league conections and did not ask questions just amazes me. I wonder what they felt like after being told Ironton might leave again, if they don't like it, like trying it out and depart quickly if they don't? My friend was told that from several Ironton folks within their football program 4 years ago? Two years? Well at least they made it three, I'll give the Fighting Tigers that. My friend was almost correct, especially when Ironton announced last year they were leaving, prematurely. As soon as Ironton stated that vote from last year, he said, I told you so to several of us behind the scenes. Once it became offical this year, he said, the same thing that many stated about Zanesville and Ironton in 2004. They were joining the SEOAL in the thinking that both their schools was going to rule the league. When they found out the opposite, especially Ironton, with their ruling reign tradition of the 70's and 80's era of the SEOAL, they decided to boot, just as fast as they entered the SEOAL. I believe the same goes for Zanesville. Once they found out they would not rule this league in football, they decided to leave. My question is, why even join the SEOAL then?

In the long run, I believe Chillicothe and Portsmouth was the only two SEOAL Teams that should have been invited. They have been very faithful to the SEOAL, making all the LEAGUE Meetings and making serious input towards the leagues surviability for the future. Back during the playoff threads, one of Zanesville's posters even had the gaul to come on here and state that the real reason was not travel or gate draw for football, but that the SEOAL wasn't competitive enough for the Blue Devils. What a pompus attitude to have. I guess that is why Logan was 3-0, Chillicothe was 2-1 and Ironton was 1-1 against the Zanesville Blue Devils in SEOAL play. I wish Chillicothe would have told them sorry for next year and tried to get someone else in week 4, instead of scheduling Zanesville after they announced they were leaving the SEOAL at the end of the 2008-2009 season. Once Chillicothe left the C.O.L. at the end of the 1976 football season and joining the OCC, they quit playing Zanesville. And...., they began playing Zanesville starting with the 1940 season. But they never looked back after 1976, until the two met up again in the SEOAL starting with the 2006 football season. Chillicothe had played Zanesville a few times in B-Ball after leaving the C.O.L. but hadn't in football until the SEOAL expansion. I think Chillicothe should had said no, even if we had to play a West Virginia Team that has an open date in week 4, like Herbert Hoover HS that is a AAA High School, who needs 2 games for 2009 and 2010. Play dates open are Weeks 4, 8, and 11. Contact Steve Stoffel at 965-3394 ext. 113. Herbert Hoover is in Clendenin, WV a town in Kanawha County, West Virginia along the Elk River near Charleston, WV. Or, play a Kentucky AAA High School in week 4.

I think the SEOAL should have told Zanesvile (Sorry Charlie), the same goes for Ironton after next years season. Athens has kept Gallipolis on their schedule after their exit for the TVC-Ohio. But I see the Bulldogs doing the same thing Meigs did after they left the SEOAL for the TVC. After still getting defeated in non-league play against the Blue Devils for years after the Meigs Maurauders left the SEAOL at the conclusion of the 1982-1983 season and started to play in the TVC beginning with the 1983-1984 season;..... they kept playing Gallipolis in non-league play, until someone at Meigs finally recognized they could not defeat Gallipolis; and that it might be better to schedule an OVC team in there place. In which, Meigs did just that, and never looked back. And probably couldn't of been happier for doing so. I see Athens dropping Gallipolis just like Meigs did, a few years back and replacing them with a smaller team eventually too.

I know the excuses, many SEOAL teams will say, we had them on the schedule why drop them now, and scamble to try and get someone else. Those SEOAL Schools have known since last year to look for someone else to reschedule Zanesville with. I think Logan, Gallipolis and Jackson are playing them too. Not sure about Marietta or Warren? I think they took the easy route and caved in. I can see Logan continuing the series against the Blue Devils,.....they have a history of playing against Zanesville as of late, prior to Zanesville joining the SEOAL in 2006. I am waiting to see how many will keep Ironton on their schedule in 2010 too. I understand fully why Portsmouth is keeping the Fighting Tigers on their schedule. That is one of their main rival games with the teams on the Ohio River. But lets see how many other SEOAL Schools will continue to play Ironton after the Fighting Tigers complaint was, travel and gate draw for the reason they were departing the SEOAL for a third time. I can see Gallipolis keeping them on their schedule as well. And a slight maybe, doubtful though, for Jackson keeping them on for a series or two, once in a great while. But I bet Ironton will drop Chillicothe and Logan off their teams schedule in playing their former SEOAL League Teams in a heartbeat, especially, after they depart in 2010. Let's wait and see.

I like the inital response Wizard stated, GET OUT! I would say don't let the door hit them on the way out, especially with all their excuses. As it was for Athens, Zanesville and now Ironton.

Now many are waiting to see who will be the next to leave the SEOAL, speculating that it might be Marietta and Warren making the announcement that they will leaving too! Thus, leaving the SEOAL with five teams left in it. If that takes place, and those 5 teams stay, I assume they will make a go of it and bond together to form an excellent SEOAL League. The $1000 dollar question is, if the SEOAL reduces to a 5 team league, i.e., Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Jackson, Gallipolis and Logan, will they all stay together and make it actually work?

Only time will tell.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Return to “Football”