SEOAL losing yet another school!

mister b
SEOP

Re: SEOAL losing yet another school!

Post by mister b »

Football pays the bills?

While football generates more money than the other sports, basketball comes much closer to being self-supporting.

Hardly any school in southeastern Ohio or across the state, has a football program that supports itself, let alone pays for the other programs. Ask your AD's.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Chillicothe Basketball if I would say, it's a program that pays for itself, or almost pays for itself. As for Football, we don't have a bad following. We were full at Portsmouth, for the Gallipolis game, for the Jackson game and several at Big Walnut and the Zanesville games. Warren had a full crowd, Ironton was missing some that night. Sheridan was raining and Logan was raining. We had more at Jackson by the end of the 2nd quarter than all their fans. So it's not been bad for the Football Team support either.

I would say, at least enough to pay most of the Football Programs bills.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

C-ya, bye-bye. :lol:

Army
S

Post by Army »

GalliaGrad78 wrote:C-ya, bye-bye. :lol:

I agree with that :!: :lol: :lol:

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I just wish they would have tried it out for 5 years, then go from there.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

The Wizard wrote:Zanesville's AD is the boys bball coach. He was always against Zanesville being in the league, talked to him myself. He is only concerned about bball and being able to schedule who he wants. If SEOAL teams are willing to help him by playing them in football then shame on them. If they want out get out.

You're just as clueless as BuckeyeCav.

He was not the only one who was resistant to joining the SEOAL, as well as those who want out. But everyone outside of ZHS wants to hang this on him. He is NOT only concerned about basketball. He is concerned about the entire athletics program at ZHS.

But you Chilli Wackos can just keep perpetuating these little stories like you know everything.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

BuckeyeCAV ...

I wish I had your extreme knowledge of all things Zanesville. You and your ilk are so clueless it's shameful. Stick to your arcane little corner of the universe and pipe down.

We're out because of the very reasons we've stated -- travel and gate receipts. "Competitiveness" has never been the issue. You note -- incessantly -- we are 1-2 vs. Chilli in football in three years. Not like it's been dominant. Check the scores.

As for why we're playing some of the SEOAL schools again next year -- INCLUDING Chillicothe -- remains the fact that at least one and maybe two posters postulated. With most contracts running in two-year cycles, and the fact we only opted out a year ago, reconstructing a football schedule on short notice is not very viable. Yes, all those SEOAL schools could have told us to take a hike, and frankly, that would have been understandable. But -- unlike people like you -- there are some PROFESSIONALS out there who also realize something: If they bail on us, then they have to also find a school to replace us on the their schedules (let's remember that next season would have been the second year of the second two-year scheduling cycle). Where do late-season opponents such as Gallia Academy and Jackson (for example) suddenly find new opponents in Weeks 9 and 10? C'mon genius, I'm sure you have an easy answer for that one.

As it is, we are going BACK to Logan this year (with a guarantee from LHS). That is going to be used as guarantees in return for other teams coming to Zanesville. One school -- Warren Local -- opted to turn that down to return to ZHS next year in Week 5. That leaves us -- and them -- still looking for an opponent. In the end, it's quite possible that neither will find a suitable opponent, and then would end up playing each other anyway.

But, you see, in your borderline mystical ways, you can not comprehend exactly how running an athletic department truly works. Oh, yeah, that's right -- all our AD cares about is basketball! I so forgot. But then again, he was also the force who drove the reconstruction program of Sulsberger Stadium, the one with the new FOOTBALL FIELD and the new TRACK.

Honestly, if all he cared about was basketball, would he have bothered?

Bottom line is you know nothing about Zanesville's motives other than what you dream up in that fertile little mind of yours. Keep on keeping on, my friend. Just about every time you post, that Size 10 gets a little deeper into your gullet.

Oh, and why was it y'all left the OCC?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Zanesville's AD is the boys bball coach. He was always against Zanesville being in the league, talked to him myself. He is only concerned about bball and being able to schedule who he wants. If SEOAL teams are willing to help him by playing them in football then shame on them. If they want out get out.

He was not the only one who was resistant to joining the SEOAL, as well as those who want out. But everyone outside of ZHS wants to hang this on him. He is NOT only concerned about basketball. He is concerned about the entire athletics program at ZHS.

But you Chilli Wackos can just keep perpetuating these little stories like you know everything.

Zanes-Vegas,

Boy, how a year changes things. Oh, it seems just like yesterday some Zanesville faithful was blasting Ironton's premature call to leave last season. Then Zanesville made the move. Not only did someone know Zanesville's intent to boot, but who know's, there may be a PM or two out there from a prominate Zville Poster stating the very same thing that The Wizard stated on here, and they just may have it saved somewhere. Who knows?

We at Chillicothe could care less if you left the SEOAL or not. What many faithful Cavalier Fans who actually support and help out the program here is upset about, is, the CAVS keeping you all on the schedule, when we had a week four team close by, that was interested in playing us. But someone evidently caved and gave into playing Zanesville in week 4 in a non-league game.

Zanes-Vegas wrote:BuckeyeCAV ...

I wish I had your extreme knowledge of all things Zanesville. You and your ilk are so clueless it's shameful. Stick to your arcane little corner of the universe and pipe down.

We're out because of the very reasons we've stated -- travel and gate receipts. "Competitiveness" has never been the issue. You note -- incessantly -- we are 1-2 vs. Chilli in football in three years. Not like it's been dominant. Check the scores.

As for why we're playing some of the SEOAL schools again next year -- INCLUDING Chillicothe -- remains the fact that at least one and maybe two posters postulated. With most contracts running in two-year cycles, and the fact we only opted out a year ago, reconstructing a football schedule on short notice is not very viable. Yes, all those SEOAL schools could have told us to take a hike, and frankly, that would have been understandable. But -- unlike people like you -- there are some PROFESSIONALS out there who also realize something: If they bail on us, then they have to also find a school to replace us on the their schedules (let's remember that next season would have been the second year of the second two-year scheduling cycle). Where do late-season opponents such as Gallia Academy and Jackson (for example) suddenly find new opponents in Weeks 9 and 10? C'mon genius, I'm sure you have an easy answer for that one.

As it is, we are going BACK to Logan this year (with a guarantee from LHS). That is going to be used as guarantees in return for other teams coming to Zanesville. One school -- Warren Local -- opted to turn that down to return to ZHS next year in Week 5. That leaves us -- and them -- still looking for an opponent. In the end, it's quite possible that neither will find a suitable opponent, and then would end up playing each other anyway.

But, you see, in your borderline mystical ways, you can not comprehend exactly how running an athletic department truly works. Oh, yeah, that's right -- all our AD cares about is basketball! I so forgot. But then again, he was also the force who drove the reconstruction program of Sulsberger Stadium, the one with the new FOOTBALL FIELD and the new TRACK.

Honestly, if all he cared about was basketball, would he have bothered?

Bottom line is you know nothing about Zanesville's motives other than what you dream up in that fertile little mind of yours. Keep on keeping on, my friend. Just about every time you post, that Size 10 gets a little deeper into your gullet.

Oh, and why was it y'all left the OCC?

Zanes-Vegas,

At least we stayed in the OCC from 1976-2006. Unlike joining the SEOAL in 2006 and leaving in 2009. All we say at Chillicothe is, your folks didn't even show at some of the SEOAL meetings. Right there should of been a clue to the rest of the TEAMS who are faithful to the SEOAL. As far as we are concerned here in Chillicothe, the travel part was just a bluff. We travel just as far. But hey, that's one less trip we have to take North bound. I, as many others feel here, don't let the door hit you all on the way out as you depart our SEOAL at the end of this school year. Hopefully, more than just our CAVS will give your Blue Devils a good old SEOAL sendoff by defeating them this season in basketball.

gahs4ever wrote:Z-V

When you talk to one of those Chilli posters you are talking to both of them. They are SEOPs version of Jekyll and Hyde and often they talk back and forth to each other. Consider the source.

Gahs4ever,

I don't know what you are blubbering about, I would hope you are more focused on your team, who knows, they may give Chillicothe a game next season in football, you think?

By the way, I find it so funny......after Ironton announced there departure in 2010, that many came to the guy in blue on here. Like FIDO and others. Looks like that guys predictions in blue are coming true, slowly but surely. Looks like your outlook on certain teams leaving as sudden as they are departing were totally incorrect, and the guy in blue was correct. Seems FIDO stood up and let them have it, especially when the guy in blue was hammered by certain folks for stating the departures of teams in the possible future, which I might add, those teams are leaving.

I wonder if anymore will depart? If they do, what does that state for the future of the SEOAL, and more importantly your infinate wisdom on our SEOAL?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess, many will state.........on that note, consider the source, he's not an expert as many think.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:

Well Vegas I stood on the court right beside him in the first two years of the SEOAL and all he did was complain about being in the league. Do you wish to argue with me on this??
Now as I see it once he takes over he doesn't even give the 2 year notice required he just says we are out period, yet for all the travel reasons etc he schedules all these SEOAL teams in all the other sports but Boys Bball. I might be clueless but it doesn't take much for the rest of us who do not have those blue glasses on to see the big picture.
For travel the OVAC based out of Wheeling is 73 miles (mapquest) with Logan 42 miles, Marietta 71 miles. So these other sports that Zanesville is concerned about how far and who will you play? It was already announced they wanted a division or league in the OVAC with a few teams, Marietta being one and PBurg South being one. Not sure what that buys unless you think that other sports could then be competitive.

CHFan
Waterboy

Post by CHFan »

I heard from a Z-ville native that they are looking to join the MVL along with some other schools from the Z-ville area. The MVL would then have 2 divisions.....Big schools and Small schools. Anybody else heard that?

When it comes to Basketball and Z-ville, that coach is playing for a State title each and every year. So I can understand why he didn't schedule certain SEOAL teams. He wants to play the traditionally strong basketball programs to test and prepare his team.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

CHFan
I hadn't heard that about the MVL but I know of two schools close to me that were approached about joining the OVAC and then a sub league in that league with Zanesville.

When was the last state title for the boys bball program. I looked back to 1999 and didn't see them in the final four. How much help has it been??

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

i-town leaving the league isn't suprising. they suprised me when they re-joined the seoal. i had heard lutz wanted no part of it and now that hes back..... will your gone. i fully believe since they have not been able to run rough shot over everybody in the league and the poor turn out at home and away game have just fueled the fire to leave the league again! i hate to see them go, i have looked forward to the i-town week now for 3 years. fight with all of there dribble about the past, the 70's, 2 state tittles, etc...... it was fun!

here is 1 excuess that just kills me..
fuel prices and the long drives the games.
if drive all over seo for friday games for 7 league games. how is it going to be cheaper to drive to 10 games in seo, wv, and kentucky for 10 weeks? then if you make the playoffs then.... come on.. thats a sad excuess!

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

The Wizard wrote:
Zanes-Vegas wrote:

Well Vegas I stood on the court right beside him in the first two years of the SEOAL and all he did was complain about being in the league. Do you wish to argue with me on this??
Now as I see it once he takes over he doesn't even give the 2 year notice required he just says we are out period, yet for all the travel reasons etc he schedules all these SEOAL teams in all the other sports but Boys Bball. I might be clueless but it doesn't take much for the rest of us who do not have those blue glasses on to see the big picture.
For travel the OVAC based out of Wheeling is 73 miles (mapquest) with Logan 42 miles, Marietta 71 miles. So these other sports that Zanesville is concerned about how far and who will you play? It was already announced they wanted a division or league in the OVAC with a few teams, Marietta being one and PBurg South being one. Not sure what that buys unless you think that other sports could then be competitive.

The Wizard,

Well put! A little birdie just PM'd me and showed me some interesting PM's from last year, stating the very same thing you just posted. And you wouldn't believe who posted those PM's from Zville stating what you already have said on here. It would make your jaw drop and eyes roll. I really liked the part about the one year notice to, instead of the two year notice that is required. I especially liked the part about the football schedule continuing to play all the SEOAL Teams. But the basketball team isn't. Then there is the part about missing the inital SEOAL meetings right after joining the league, that should have woke up someone. Likewise, not re-scheduling the basketball game with Chillicothe at Chilliy in the 2006-2007 season. They just acted like it did not matter. That in many eyes within the SEOAL just about said the true committment Zville had in this league, after new management took over. The blue glasses part was cool to. I had to laugh at that one.

All back and forth aside. I wish both Zanesville and Ironton had stayed in the SEOAL. They are both two (caliber teams). I believe if the SEOAL would have been more active in recruiting, after Athens made their notice of leaving in 2006, they might of been able to pull a team out of the MVL or maybe the MSL to make 10 teams again. But with that said it's to late now. You are right about the travel too. Look at Chillicothe's travel to Marietta. We are not complaining. A Marietta poster earlier on here stated, that he was close to the Tiger Program and that Marietta looked at the OVAC but wasn't to go back there. He stated they left in 1978 and really don't want no part of it again. Now is that the Gospel? Who knows?

As for Marietta possibly leaving with Warren next, who knows. But if they do, the SEOAL will be down to 5 teams. I believe the SEOAL could make it, but it will take some serious bonding to keep it alive. If it looks like the SEOAL starts to crumble, I can see Chillicothe showing up at SCOL meetings with a proposal to join that league. A league that is very close to our Chillicothe Cavaliers......with Greenfield McClain 16 miles away, Hillsboro 38 miles away, Washington C.H. 29 miles away, Miami-Trace 34 miles away, London 47 miles away, Madison Plains 55 miles away and Clinton-Massie 60 miles away. No matter what the resident expert states from Gallipolis on here about other SEOAL Teams leaving. I would imagine the guy who writes in blue from Chillicothe must be laughing at all his wrong predictions by now concerning the possible implode of the SEOAL. The guy from Gallipolis has been proven wrong on here a few times now about the SEOAL losing teams. I remember a few post back FIDO stepping in and blasting a few about talking of taking a post down unless they had proof about Ironton leaving. FIDO was furious about the way that poster was treated for stating the facts on here. The annoucement came from an Ironton poster from our understanding within the program, who actually works in the I-Town system and who was at the board meeting that night when Ironton voted to leave in 2010.

Then there is your case. Like you are not telling it the way it was stated to you. I guess, one must have to be a resident expert on everybody elses programs too, before a person can be able to state what they have discussed or been part of, concerning knowledge about there own sports program.

Way to respond!

Good Luck to whatever route Zville goes.
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

The Wizard wrote:CHFan
I hadn't heard that about the MVL but I know of two schools close to me that were approached about joining the OVAC and then a sub league in that league with Zanesville.

When was the last state title for the boys bball program. I looked back to 1999 and didn't see them in the final four. How much help has it been??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great Point :!:

We also heard at Chillicothe that Marietta isn't going to bite on that OVAC possibility. But who knows in these times? We know Parkersburg-South already has re-joined the OVAC.

1987chieftains wrote:i-town leaving the league isn't suprising. they suprised me when they re-joined the seoal. i had heard lutz wanted no part of it and now that hes back..... will your gone. i fully believe since they have not been able to run rough shot over everybody in the league and the poor turn out at home and away game have just fueled the fire to leave the league again! i hate to see them go, i have looked forward to the i-town week now for 3 years. fight with all of there dribble about the past, the 70's, 2 state tittles, etc...... it was fun!

here is 1 excuess that just kills me..
fuel prices and the long drives the games.
if drive all over seo for friday games for 7 league games. how is it going to be cheaper to drive to 10 games in seo, wv, and kentucky for 10 weeks? then if you make the playoffs then.... come on.. thats a sad excuess!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great Point :!:

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Loss of revenue forces Ironton to leave SEOAL

By Jim Walker | The Tribune

Originally published 09:03 a.m., November 28, 2008
Updated 09:03 a.m., November 28, 2008

IRONTON — A third return to the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League lasted about as long as a talk show hosted by Chevy Chase.

Ironton High School left the SEOAL for the second time in 1985, then returned in 2006. But spiraling costs, shrinking revenue, and extensive travel due to new members even farther away than the last stint in the league led the Ironton City School Board of Education to vote at its last regular meeting to once again leave the league.

Ironton board member Bob Vaughn made a proposal to leave the league last year, but other board members didn’t think it was necessary. When the financial numbers continued to shrink drastically, the board finally decided to rescind its decision to join the league.

The three previous season prior to joining the league the average revenue per season was approximately $170,000.

Ironton athletic director Mark Vass said the move was strictly a financial decision.

“The competition was good. We liked the competition. It was all about finances. We lost $70,000 a year in gate receipts,” said Vass.

“If we had continued, we would have put ourselves in financial jeopardy. It’s nice to be in a league for scheduling, and the schools were great to work with. They were very professional in our dealings, but you just have to look at the numbers.”

Vass repeatedly informed the board of the financial troubles that were incurred due to the membership in the league. During the past two years he probed other avenues including reviving the Ohio-Kentucky Athletic League.

“When you’re in a league, you look for three things: competition, travel, and financial gain. Two of them were not in our favor,” said Vass.

“You don’t want to wait too long to make changes. We had to do something. That was the bottom line.”

As for now, Ironton will play one more season in the league and then return to independent status.

“We hope to continue playing the normal teams like Portsmouth, Gallipolis and Jackson, and maybe someone else as long as it’s financially beneficial. We’re not going to play in non-revenue sports,” said Vass.

Next season, teams will have to play the North Division schools on a home-and-home series meaning more long trips for basketball and spring sports.

“We’re helping the other sports so those teams don’t have to travel so far and get back late on school nights,” said Vass.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:Loss of revenue forces Ironton to leave SEOAL

IRONTON — A third return to the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League lasted about as long as a talk show hosted by Chevy Chase.

Ironton High School left the SEOAL for the second time in 1985, then returned in 2006. But spiraling costs, shrinking revenue, and extensive travel due to new members even farther away than the last stint in the league led the Ironton City School Board of Education to vote at its last regular meeting to once again leave the league.

Ironton board member Bob Vaughn made a proposal to leave the league last year, but other board members didn’t think it was necessary. When the financial numbers continued to shrink drastically, the board finally decided to rescind its decision to join the league.

The three previous season prior to joining the league the average revenue per season was approximately $170,000.

Ironton athletic director Mark Vass said the move was strictly a financial decision.

“The competition was good. We liked the competition. It was all about finances. We lost $70,000 a year in gate receipts,” said Vass.

“If we had continued, we would have put ourselves in financial jeopardy. It’s nice to be in a league for scheduling, and the schools were great to work with. They were very professional in our dealings, but you just have to look at the numbers.”

Vass repeatedly informed the board of the financial troubles that were incurred due to the membership in the league. During the past two years he probed other avenues including reviving the Ohio-Kentucky Athletic League.

“When you’re in a league, you look for three things: competition, travel, and financial gain. Two of them were not in our favor,” said Vass.

“You don’t want to wait too long to make changes. We had to do something. That was the bottom line.”

As for now, Ironton will play one more season in the league and then return to independent status.

“We hope to continue playing the normal teams like Portsmouth, Gallipolis and Jackson, and maybe someone else as long as it’s financially beneficial. We’re not going to play in non-revenue sports,” said Vass.

Next season, teams will have to play the North Division schools on a home-and-home series meaning more long trips for basketball and spring sports.

“We’re helping the other sports so those teams don’t have to travel so far and get back late on school nights,” said Vass.

but, that still doesn't explain how going independent is going to be cheap and make more $$$ for the school.
doesn't i-town do any fundraisers??

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Hopefully we will be able to pick up some closer teams that will actually bring bigger crowds to the games unlike some of the SEOAL teams we've played at home the last couple years.

We should have a better crowds at home next year in football with the following teams playing at the Tank (Notice 3 of those teams are non League games):

Wheelersburg
Russell
Logan
Portsmouth
Nellsonville-York

As far as other sports I don't know what kind of turn outs we will have.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

1987chieftains wrote:
OHbuckeye1 wrote:Loss of revenue forces Ironton to leave SEOAL

but, that still doesn't explain how going independent is going to be cheap and make more $$$ for the school.
doesn't i-town do any fundraisers??

I would have loved to seen a plan about leaving the SEOAL and why!!!!

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

To my knowledge Ironton doesn't fund-raise.
They do fall back on the Tiger Clan quite often,we do fund-raisse.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the tigers should divorce the seoal if they are not happy in it. noone should stay in a situation and not be happy. good luck wherever you land. but stay away from trying to schedule some seoal schools since you are not pleased. seoal schools shouldnt schedule them either just let them go and dont look back.

this is not a slam. this is just how i feel :!: :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”