All Conference

Re: Ironton Fighting Tiger Football 2009

Post by sider »

Is Burchfield going to be back?

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

I was told the other day that an eighth grader (freshman to be) has a good shot at some playing time in the backfield this coming year..heard he has break away speed....anyone know anything about this kid?

I-Town Baller
Waterboy

Post by I-Town Baller »

Tigers90. There will be no Freshman playin in the backfield for Ironton's varsity team. If you are a Freshman you play Freshman and maybe JV. The only underclassmen that would have a shot at being in the varsity backfield is Tyler Hager,WayneEvans,Mike Lawless,Codey Jones. Those guys are all sophmores and will maybe play special teams but our varsity team has to many athletes in front of the underclassmen

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

i remember 1 freshman who finally crept into the starting lineup.........

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Sounds like Dion Brown is the freshman-to-be discussed previously. He is an exceptional athlete but I would be surprised to see any freshman get significant varsity playing time.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

tl895 wrote:i remember 1 freshman who finally crept into the starting lineup.........

Was his initials J.J. as in Jermon Jackson. :122245

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

did arden start or play some as a freshman?

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

chris wright...walt delong and jermon jackson for sure

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

reason I was asking...one of the coaches told me that they didn't have anyone with break away speed coming back this year and that if he really worked during the off season that he actually stood a chance at some playing time...

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

TIGERS90 wrote:reason I was asking...one of the coaches told me that they didn't have anyone with break away speed coming back this year and that if he really worked during the off season that he actually stood a chance at some playing time...

The Tigers are going to be loaded in the backfield next year.

tigermama
Varsity

Post by tigermama »

They are going to be something else this year. They will have a strong line and backfield. They should be very impressive. : :aaaaa59 :aaaaa59

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Tigers 90 I agree I town has no one with breakaway speed that was also their problem this year in the backfield nobody had breakaway speed.

BUCK I
Freshman Team

Post by BUCK I »

Josh Sans also played varsity as a freshman

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

great call Buck I. Josh has to be one of the greatest all around athletes to ever play sports for the Fighting Tigers. 12 letters earned. WOW! That is amazing in a system where you can count on one hand how many freshman have lettered in football the past 35 years.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

What I seen was a group of backs that needed to have more size to them to run the Ironton style of football. Also Ironton needs to add some more shot gun type offense in there offensive plans in the future if they plan on making it to the state. 11 out of the 12 teams this year that were in the state finals did not take a snap under center.

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

I think if they can run the option to perfection...with the backs that ironton has...behind one of the strongest front lines that ironton will have seen in many years...Ironton should have a good shot at going real far for a long time to come...I can't wait to see what the next two years are going to be like...but just think....the eighth grade team is going to be ready to rock by the time this group is gone...Ironton football is back..I hope we keep logan on the schedule after this year...it's only going to keep getting better for the tigers for a long time to come..not only are the kids talent levels up...but the attitude is back to where it should have been all along...

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

[quote="TIGERS90"]I think if they can run the option to perfection...with the backs that ironton has...behind one of the strongest front lines that ironton will have seen in many years...Ironton should have a good shot at going real far for a long time to come...I can't wait to see what the next two years are going to be like...but just think....the eighth grade team is going to be ready to rock by the time this group is gone...Ironton football is back..I hope we keep logan on the schedule after this year...it's only going to keep getting better for the tigers for a long time to come..not only are the kids talent levels up...but the attitude is back to where it should have been all along...[/quote

I love your optimism but Ironton has not even played a game yet.

I think the line will be one of the biggest in a while but they are not very strong. Running the option only works if you have a QB that can run and I don’t see that in the QB’s that are at Ironton presently. They need to get into a different style of offense because 8 or 9 in the box with one on one coverage has killed Ironton for the last ten years. I am afraid to say this may not change until there some changes in the Coaching Staff.

Good Luck,

Tigers!

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

OSU 77 wrote:
TIGERS90 wrote:I think if they can run the option to perfection...with the backs that ironton has...behind one of the strongest front lines that ironton will have seen in many years...Ironton should have a good shot at going real far for a long time to come...I can't wait to see what the next two years are going to be like...but just think....the eighth grade team is going to be ready to rock by the time this group is gone...Ironton football is back..I hope we keep logan on the schedule after this year...it's only going to keep getting better for the tigers for a long time to come..not only are the kids talent levels up...but the attitude is back to where it should have been all along...[/quote

I love your optimism but Ironton has not even played a game yet.

I think the line will be one of the biggest in a while but they are not very strong. Running the option only works if you have a QB that can run and I don’t see that in the QB’s that are at Ironton presently. They need to get into a different style of offense because 8 or 9 in the box with one on one coverage has killed Ironton for the last ten years. I am afraid to say this may not change until there some changes in the Coaching Staff.

Good Luck,

Tigers!

I agree 100%

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I think we are in pretty good shape as far as the Quarterback goes.
Ethan Preston has a pretty good arm and can deffinetly run the ball, he made some good runs last year when he was in. Tommy Waginger has a great arm and can run if he has to.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

bucking red wrote:Tigers 90 I agree I town has no one with breakaway speed that was also their problem this year in the backfield nobody had breakaway speed.

Courtney Lewis is a pretty fast back and I look for him to have a good season next year.

Return to “Football”