Derek Roback Offers

vladimir
S

Re: Derek Roback Offers

Post by vladimir »

^ Wasn't Roback just a soph when you played against him?

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Vladimir wrote:^ Wasn't Roback just a soph when you played against him?

Yes but you cant tell me his teams worst year on the field turned him into a D-1 athlete...he was already a good player then but I dont think he improved drastically

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Riepo Man,
Derek went from WR his soph year to QB this past season.
He excelled at WR his soph. year with a great senior class.
The "team" around him last season was nowhere near what they were the year before. Had the Tigers had the same players they did when he was a sophomore and he was the QB, most of his critics on this site would be singing a different tune. I witnessed live, and watched many times on film, what he did in week 1 against a pretty good Piketon squad. He was running for his life in that game (as he did most games), and was able to pull off the victory with a 90 yard punt return in the waning moments. After that game most opp. came in with the plan of not letting Roback beat them.
I thought he did very well considering he made the switch from WR to QB and didn't have much of a line in front of him.
He did pretty well at DB as well. Oh yeah, he punted, and kicked the PAT's.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

The Riepo Man wrote:
Vladimir wrote:^ Wasn't Roback just a soph when you played against him?

Yes but you cant tell me his teams worst year on the field turned him into a D-1 athlete...he was already a good player then but I dont think he improved drastically

I 've seen kids that couldn't tie their shoes as Sophs and turn into studs their Sr. year. Even the fact he was a leading WR as a Soph speak volumes about the kid as most don't even start and are lucky if they make the special teams squad their Soph year.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:Riepo Man,
Derek went from WR his soph year to QB this past season.
He excelled at WR his soph. year with a great senior class.
The "team" around him last season was nowhere near what they were the year before. Had the Tigers had the same players they did when he was a sophomore and he was the QB, most of his critics on this site would be singing a different tune. I witnessed live, and watched many times on film, what he did in week 1 against a pretty good Piketon squad. He was running for his life in that game (as he did most games), and was able to pull off the victory with a 90 yard punt return in the waning moments. After that game most opp. came in with the plan of not letting Roback beat them.
I thought he did very well considering he made the switch from WR to QB and didn't have much of a line in front of him.
He did pretty well at DB as well. Oh yeah, he punted, and kicked the PAT's.

Yeah, I have already stated that Roback will do perfectly fine at a D-1 school based off his work ethics and talent but IMO he should stick to WR unless he goes to an option oriented offense

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

OK Reipo man if ND,WV or a Big Ten School offers him a Scholarship to play QB we will let them know that YOU think he would much better at WR. SHEESH!!!!!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Okay Bobby Knight, Im not the only one who said they believe he would make a better WR than QB...opinions are opinions. SHEESH!!!!!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I think the opinions of Div 1 football coaches carry a little more weight than the folks that are making those statements on this site. He very well may play another position at the next level but he has the tools to play QB as well. We have had a few pretty good QBs in my 25 years at Waverly so I probably have a little better idea about that than you do. It is fine to share ones opinion but sometimes you must defer to those with a little better body of knowledge.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is. There is a kid "Roback" with D1 potential. There are also others that have been named on here that probably have D1 potential. Why can't folks from this area be happy about that and wish these young men the best. All people from this area want to do is hope everyone fails, it is mind boggling.

No wonder coaches don't want to recruit this area. We are ridiculous!

How about supporting the kids from southern ohio instead of trying to tear them down because of jealousy.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

hbk123 wrote:Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is. There is a kid "Roback" with D1 potential. There are also others that have been named on here that probably have D1 potential. Why can't folks from this area be happy about that and wish these young men the best. All people from this area want to do is hope everyone fails, it is mind boggling.

How about supporting the kids from southern ohio instead of trying to tear them down because of jealousy.

I havent seen anyone hoping he fails

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Riepo Man said:
opinions are opinions. SHEESH!!!!!

Opinions are like something else, everybody has one.
Yours just stinks, Riepo Man.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:Riepo Man said:
opinions are opinions. SHEESH!!!!!

Opinions are like something else, everybody has one.
Yours just stinks, Riepo Man.

My feelings are hurt :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll:

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

They all stink! :razz:

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

when aj cousins was going into his sr yr of hs, bill dennis was busy and i was talking to an osu scout while they waited for bill..
osu was there to see jimmy skinner
i asked why they really hadnt taken looks at aj as he was a STUD

the guy told me that he doesnt take 5'11 or 6'0 lineman...

you have to fit the bill of having the size and the speed.. they think they are good enough to coach the other things..
it appears roback has those things you cant coach. ie speed and height..

with his athleticism, he will be heavily recruited whether waverly wins or not

luvthegame
Riding the Bench

Post by luvthegame »

hbk123 wrote:Does anyone else see how ridiculous this is. There is a kid "Roback" with D1 potential. There are also others that have been named on here that probably have D1 potential. Why can't folks from this area be happy about that and wish these young men the best. All people from this area want to do is hope everyone fails, it is mind boggling.

Great Post!! Agree 100%!!!!! I am proud of any young man from any school that can continue there education through recieving a scholarship, especially at a D-1 level. I say "good luck Derek, you can do it."

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

wrestlefan1 wrote:you have to fit the bill of having the size and the speed.. they think they are good enough to coach the other things..
it appears roback has those things you cant coach. ie speed and height..

with his athleticism, he will be heavily recruited whether waverly wins or not

Thank you. Bleeding Red made it clear to me in a PM that Roback would get recruited more if Waverly went 8-2 rather than 5-5. Yeah, I'm sure not having those 3 extra wins would cause a recruiter to pass on a kid. Get real.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

I think Derek can play alot of places with his athletic ability, probably at bigger schools if he goes away from QB. That being said I do think he would be more heavily recruited if he was leading them deep into the playoffs and winning conference championships, this would add to another intangible that you can't coach, finding a way to win no matter what. Not saying that this would cause someone to turn him down, but it couldn't hurt his chances that's for sure. I think he will do fine at the next level, and I'd say waverly will be better and he will showcase his talents alot more this coming season.

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

yea, i think it would help if he is the qb of a 12-1 type of team,
but they wont back off if they only win a few games

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

This is stupid. Roback has a D1 offer. Therefore, he is a D1 player. He sure seemed to have the size, quickness and speed the is required when I saw him. I doubt he is a QB, particularly higher up the food chain than Ohio.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

IRONFALCON wrote:I think Derek can play alot of places with his athletic ability, probably at bigger schools if he goes away from QB. That being said I do think he would be more heavily recruited if he was leading them deep into the playoffs and winning conference championships, this would add to another intangible that you can't coach, finding a way to win no matter what. Not saying that this would cause someone to turn him down, but it couldn't hurt his chances that's for sure. I think he will do fine at the next level, and I'd say waverly will be better and he will showcase his talents alot more this coming season.

I think he proved that vs. Piketon

Return to “Football”