Freshman Team

Re: South Gallia 2009

Post by devilfan08 »

O yes they will :mrgreen:

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

you never stay the same. every day you get better or you get worse.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Getting the playing time that the young players at S.G. got this year means alot.Quite a few 9th and 10th graders seen some serious action,were even starters on both sides.Also keep in mind that these players will be working their tails off in the weightroom to get bigger,faster and stronger.S.G. also has three excellent coaches that I know of,not to say the rest of the staff isn't,just not familiar with the new asst.coaches.Combine all together and I see nothing but improvement.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I think basketball might hurt SG football because basketball and track both run off muscle.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Do the players not lift during track and basketball at S.G.?They do run off muscle but also build speed and agility.Which also doesn't hurt.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I cannot speak for the basketball team, but in track we lifted three times a week.

In track, we also did speed work, but nothing as great as a Florida State speed work out.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

If you know the FSU speed program,why not use it?Unless of course you win every meet.Anyway S.G. football will improve as long as the kids continue to work hard and listen to their coaches.

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

How do you run off muscle? I always thougth that speed training, the type that actually makes you faster, builds muscle. If you eat enough of the right foods I would think you would build muscle running. Unless you are running marathons or something. So the only way I can see basketball hurting football is if the coach wont let the players lift during the season, or if he talks them out of playing football at all. Both problems are prevelant at some area schools.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

BLITZBURG wrote:If you know the FSU speed program,why not use it?Unless of course you win every meet.Anyway S.G. football will improve as long as the kids continue to work hard and listen to their coaches.

You have to have a speed program that is appropriate for the athletes you have. The reason I would never use the Florida State speed program is because it is based on the fact that the students who go to Florida State are already top of the line (Division I) athletes who already have a solid basis. The athletes are already approaching their physical maturity and all run faster than a 5.0 forty. If they were slow Bowden wouldn't waste his time on them.

With high school athletes who run 6.0 forty times, I think it is much better to get these kids a basis to work with and do basic speed training. One must learn how to walk before learning how to run.

At a high school such as Colerain, (or any other with superior athletes), I would say that a workout similar to Florida State would be appropriate.

I wouldn't try to train a kid for a marathon if he couldn't complete an 800.

As for winning every meet, I don't believe anyone on here coulds win a track meet with what I had. The kids were great and worked hard, but I only had seven to work with.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The reason I would never use the Florida State speed program is because it is based on the fact that the students who go to Florida State are already top of the line (Division I) athletes who already have a solid basis. The athletes are already approaching their physical maturity and all run faster than a 5.0 forty. If they were slow Bowden wouldn't waste his time on them.

I have read articles by Jim Wendler (associated with Westside Barbell and Elite Fitness Systems) and by Greg Shepard (Bigger-Faster-Stronger) where they talked about the dangers of going over to the nearest college or the latest issue of Scholastic Coach and copying their training programs. They usually were referring to weight training, but I think that the same logic would apply to speed training, because you are still talking about training muscles to perform a task.

Finding the appropriate training protocols for kids who are so young and still undeveloped that they can barely be called athletes yet can be very tricky.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

boogerred wrote:
BLITZBURG wrote:If you know the FSU speed program,why not use it?Unless of course you win every meet.Anyway S.G. football will improve as long as the kids continue to work hard and listen to their coaches.

You have to have a speed program that is appropriate for the athletes you have. The reason I would never use the Florida State speed program is because it is based on the fact that the students who go to Florida State are already top of the line (Division I) athletes who already have a solid basis. The athletes are already approaching their physical maturity and all run faster than a 5.0 forty. If they were slow Bowden wouldn't waste his time on them.

With high school athletes who run 6.0 forty times, I think it is much better to get these kids a basis to work with and do basic speed training. One must learn how to walk before learning how to run.

At a high school such as Colerain, (or any other with superior athletes), I would say that a workout similar to Florida State would be appropriate.

I wouldn't try to train a kid for a marathon if he couldn't complete an 800.

As for winning every meet, I don't believe anyone on here coulds win a track meet with what I had. The kids were great and worked hard, but I only had seven to work with.

When I said I would never use their speed program, I obviously meant I would not use it at a small school with average athletes.

VernonHowell
Waterboy

Post by VernonHowell »

guyan gangsta wrote:The veer is a beautiful offense if ran properly. It is almost unstoppable but South Gallia dont have the talent to run it. From what I saw this past season they can only run 20 and 30 series plays.

Not talented enough to run the veer? Maybe they didn't execute well enough, but I doubt they were not talented enough.

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

If they were talented enough then they should be able to execute.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

It takes more of mind to execute the veer than it takes athleticism to run it.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

I cannot speak for the basketball team, but in track we lifted three times a week.

In track, we also did speed work, but nothing as great as a Florida State speed work out.

The basketball team is in the weight room with Coach Burleson 2 times a week.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

As they should be!

mercerville munster
Waterboy

Post by mercerville munster »

Being in the weight room doesnt make you better anymore than being in a garage makes you a car. What is going on in there that will actually help us win more than one game this year?

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

It could be the diference between finishing off a layup for an and one or missing the layup and having to settle for two free throws.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Being in the weight room doesnt make you better anymore than being in a garage makes you a car. What is going on in there that will actually help us win more than one game this year?

I dont really know what goes on in there. They are with Coach Burleson during that time period. I can guarantee that they are not just standing around in there doing nothing or he wouldnt have themin there at all. And they cant skip out on anything because I have personally seen Burleson come in basketball practice and punish two guys for skipping one thing in the workout.

They are getting the kind of workout they need. You cant go full out during basketball on the weights but Coach Burleson knows how to push to that certain limit.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

mercerville munster wrote:Being in the weight room doesnt make you better anymore than being in a garage makes you a car. What is going on in there that will actually help us win more than one game this year?

Being in the weightroom increases an athlete's chance at lifting. Certain if one is not in a weight room, he won't lift. It does matter what is going on in there, but lifting period is better than not lifting at all. ((Unless trying to do exercise without proper form or technique) and although I disagree with the coaches at South Gallia on many things, I KNOW that they would not let kids do anything to hurt themselves)

Return to “Football”