Shane Wolford resigns as Jackson head coach

Da Bears
Freshman Team

Re: Shane Wolford resigns as Jackson head coach

Post by Da Bears »

I guess "stinko" is directing his comments towards me ironman'02. I made a comment earlier and am an "outsider" to Jackson football. I could care less what "stinko" or any other Jackson fan says. I am entitled to my opinion on here and I will make it. Oh, I do want you to know . . . I coached high school football in Illinois for 14 years so I know the time coaches put in. I am just saying that if Jackson was 7-3 this past year this would not be happening. What you and the rest of the Jackson posters don't understand is this . . . as you and others have said, Coach Wolford has an undying love for Jackson football. He is in my opinion, leaving because of all the bullcrap he and his family have had to put up with from the Jackson fans. You have so unreal expectations from your team. Coach Wolford is tired of getting yelled at from the stands, and his wife in those stands hearing all kinds of bull from some idiots that wouldn't know an Iso play from a Power Offtackle play. Get real about your team . . . the Jackson job for the next 3 years or so is a career ending job. You don't have the athletes to compete against the teams you play. Check out your basketball team last year and this year . . . they might win 2 games! I feel sorry for Coach . . . he loves Jackson football but . . .

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

I can't blame Shane for making the choice to leave the sidelines. You only get one go-round with your family and that's what is really important in life. He can always go back and coach later if he wants. He's a young man with a bright future, whatever career path he chooses. Coaching makes you old in a hurry and fans are fickle. I consider this a wise decision on his part. Good luck, Shane!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ironman02 and JohnKnight.....Thank you for the kind words on the article.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Da Bears wrote:I guess "stinko" is directing his comments towards me ironman'02. I made a comment earlier and am an "outsider" to Jackson football. I could care less what "stinko" or any other Jackson fan says. I am entitled to my opinion on here and I will make it. Oh, I do want you to know . . . I coached high school football in Illinois for 14 years so I know the time coaches put in. I am just saying that if Jackson was 7-3 this past year this would not be happening. What you and the rest of the Jackson posters don't understand is this . . . as you and others have said, Coach Wolford has an undying love for Jackson football. He is in my opinion, leaving because of all the bullcrap he and his family have had to put up with from the Jackson fans. You have so unreal expectations from your team. Coach Wolford is tired of getting yelled at from the stands, and his wife in those stands hearing all kinds of bull from some idiots that wouldn't know an Iso play from a Power Offtackle play. Get real about your team . . . the Jackson job for the next 3 years or so is a career ending job. You don't have the athletes to compete against the teams you play. Check out your basketball team last year and this year . . . they might win 2 games! I feel sorry for Coach . . . he loves Jackson football but . . .

You're entitled to your opinion. Maybe you're right...maybe not. However, if Shane publicly states that he's leaving to spend more time with his family, then that's how he wants to leave it and that's fine with me.

I don't think that the Jackson job should be qualified as a "career ending job". Sure, the talent level has taken a downturn from what it was in the 90s, but it will eventually be on the upswing as well. If you get the right guy in at Jackson and allow him to build a program, and be patient while he's doing so, then things could definitely work out. Expectations recently have been unrealistic, but winning breeds winning...and it spoils fans.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

ironman02 wrote:
Da Bears wrote:I guess "stinko" is directing his comments towards me ironman'02. I made a comment earlier and am an "outsider" to Jackson football. I could care less what "stinko" or any other Jackson fan says. I am entitled to my opinion on here and I will make it. Oh, I do want you to know . . . I coached high school football in Illinois for 14 years so I know the time coaches put in. I am just saying that if Jackson was 7-3 this past year this would not be happening. What you and the rest of the Jackson posters don't understand is this . . . as you and others have said, Coach Wolford has an undying love for Jackson football. He is in my opinion, leaving because of all the bullcrap he and his family have had to put up with from the Jackson fans. You have so unreal expectations from your team. Coach Wolford is tired of getting yelled at from the stands, and his wife in those stands hearing all kinds of bull from some idiots that wouldn't know an Iso play from a Power Offtackle play. Get real about your team . . . the Jackson job for the next 3 years or so is a career ending job. You don't have the athletes to compete against the teams you play. Check out your basketball team last year and this year . . . they might win 2 games! I feel sorry for Coach . . . he loves Jackson football but . . .

You're entitled to your opinion. Maybe you're right...maybe not. However, if Shane publicly states that he's leaving to spend more time with his family, then that's how he wants to leave it and that's fine with me.

I don't think that the Jackson job should be qualified as a "career ending job". Sure, the talent level has taken a downturn from what it was in the 90s, but it will eventually be on the upswing as well. If you get the right guy in at Jackson and allow him to build a program, and be patient while he's doing so, then things could definitely work out. Expectations recently have been unrealistic, but winning breeds winning...and it spoils fans.

I disagree with that statement at the time. I have to agree with Da Bears. I also agree that anybody is entitled to their opinion. :-D

Look at SEOAL Football against Jackson since the 2006 expansion:

Gallipolis is 2-1
Ironton is 3-0
Portsmouth is 2-1
Chillicothe is 2-1
The Plains Athens is 0-2...now a member of the TVC-Ohio
Marietta is 0-3
Vincent Warren is 0-3
Logan is 1-0
Zanesville is 1-0

Jackson is 9-11 in football verses the other SEOAL Schools. :-D

I won't even get into basketball.

Good Luck!
Last edited by BuckeyeCAV on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

BuckeyeCav,

I still see DaBears' post from earlier. If one was deleted, I never saw it. Of course you would imply that I asked someone to delete it even though I've never done that before.

Also, it's fine for you to have that opinion. I just know that I have seen bad football teams at Jackson and I have seen good ones. Every school goes through ups and downs at some point. Just because Jackson has struggled recently doesn't mean they will forever.
Last edited by ironman02 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Hopefully, they will replace the head coach at JHS with one that motivates the team. Good luck to the out going coach. I believe what Da Bears said, they put to much expectations on him in a SEOAL that was just to over powering for the Ironmen. And will be for the next 3-5 years or more to come. No matter how you slice it. He did not impress me, but like I said, he stuck it out.

Good Luck on your search for a new coach.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I agree with you. I don't know if DaBears is correct or not because I don't know exactly what Shane is thinking, but expectations were too high. When you have a team that isn't as talented overall as what you have had in the past and you're playing in a tougher league, things are gonna be difficult. Coach Wolford didn't have the success that he had hoped for, but hopefully the next coach will get things moving in the direction that the Jackson football program is accustomed to, even with the tough competition. It might take a while, but I'm confident that it will happen. I would say that expecatations will remain the same though, be it right or wrong. If you learn to accept anything less than what you want, you're likely not going to get it.

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Ironman02,
I think Pete Woods would be a good hire. Good coach that was a part of some good teams at Jackson. He's been a Philo for quite a while now. The MVL is so tough to win, look at what Sheridan did to Chillicothe last year. (By the way, I would like an enrollment figure on Sheridan. I know Chillicothe and Sheridan are both D-III schools, but which school has the most boys to choose from? I would love to know if those machine-like Cavaliers lost to a school that has less boys then they do. Maybe Army can help me.)

But anyway, the SEOAL is tough, but not like the MVL is. Maybe coach Woods would want another challenge after being at Philo for a few years. It would be interesting if he did.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Do-Your-Job,

I haven't talked to Pete for quite a while. Don't know if he would be interested in coming back. Things have been tough for him at Philo, but he has made some improvements there. It just so happens that Sheridan, New Lex, and Tri-Valley have all been outstanding recently and the MVL has been pretty tough from top to bottom. I know that living in Philo allows Coach Woods to be much closer to his family, so it might be hard for him to make the move back to this area. I sure would like to see it though. You'll never meet a nicer guy than Pete Woods and he happens to be a great football coach as well.

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

So, I heard Wolford resigned and there was a thread somewhere on SEOPS about it but I can't find it anywhere!!! :lol: ;-) :122246

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Mark Fenick would make a nice football coach in Jackson, a Jackson boy as well.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

What about Kenny Valentine? Another JHS Standout Class of 73'?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I hate to give any ideas to Jackson,but Sean Arno would be a great fit for the Ironmen.He has proven himself at Alexander . I think he would take the Ironmen to a new level.JMO :idea:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

boilermaker,

A friend of mine mentioned Arno as well. I think that might be an interesting idea.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Arno would not be a good fit for Jackson. Jackson is a win now kind of place and coach Arno is a win in a few years kind of coach.

I do think it is a shame that Wolford is leaving. I thought he was a good coach.
Good luck finding a new head coach though. :122245

bkt
Waterboy

Post by bkt »

Jackson has plenty of talent we just don't use it. It is pretty sad we only had two boys make all seoal when the other teams in the seoal had a minimum of four. Lucas Lindamood received honorable mention and should have made seoal easy if wolford would have used him. He didn't use half the talent he had.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

His playcalling was also questionable.

kuruguru
Waterboy

Post by kuruguru »

Looks like coach Wolford has been thrown to the wolves by some of you grahzny Chellovecks.
A real horrorshow, cally lot of droogies you are.
No sane moodge would take that Jackson job for any amount of cutter!

The_Mole
Waterboy

Post by The_Mole »

To the poster that said "he is a man of his word" or another that said "he is a class act" I can only say you have never coached with him or played for him! Coaches and players left the program because of his demeaner. It was not the wins and losses that brought this ending. It was how he played the game.

Return to “Football”