History of South Webster Football

drrabbit
All State

History of South Webster Football

Post by drrabbit »

I was looking up something else today but came across articles about a South Webster football team.

In September 1930, South Webster High School started football. They played one game and lost to South Portsmouth, 14-2. Within 2 weeks, and without playing a second game, they discontinued the football team because the basketball coach called early practice (in September). He wanted his boys to be in midseason form by the start of the season which was at the beginning of November at that time.

I just thought that I would share.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Re: History of South Webster Football

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Are there currently any plans for South Webster to try and start varsity football anytime in the future?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

They started pee-wee up a few years ago....then this year they dropped it again and sold all the stuff to Minford....I told everyone it would not last out there and was told I was wrong. I dont look for them to get football back for a while again if ever

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I am totally surprised that South Webster has not committed to having a football program out there.

By the way, where was South Portsmouth High School at? Is that in Kentucky? I believe if so, that is where the Harvest Christian Academy Christian School is now. Over the past few years, that small Christian School has fielded some really decent teams in basketball.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The last I heard (from one of the teachers here at BHCC who was trying to get FB started at Webster) was that the district didn't believe that it would be prudent to dump all the money into a start-up for football at this time.

hardhitter 11 `
Waterboy

Post by hardhitter 11 ` »

drrabbit wrote:I was looking up something else today but came across articles about a South Webster football team.

In September 1930, South Webster High School started football. They played one game and lost to South Portsmouth, 14-2. Within 2 weeks, and without playing a second game, they discontinued the football team because the basketball coach called early practice (in September). He wanted his boys to be in midseason form by the start of the season which was at the beginning of November at that time.

I just thought that I would share.

I know of some basketball coaches at area schools, well two, that would love to do this at their schools now if they could.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Back in those days, it was legal though. As was spring football practice. Most football teams waited until September to start practice with the games starting two weeks later. Basketball was king in those days.

1930, the Portsmouth Spartans joined the NFL and was the only Ohio Football team in the National league that year. With the new 'Universal' stadium opening in Portsmouth, the schools in the area had an interest in starting football teams. The county superintendent did not want them to do so since he was also president of the Scioto County Basketball League. In fact he had been instrumental in starting it in 1914. I suspect he had some influence at South Webster and the politics of what happened. He was not nearly as successful in stopping Wheelersburg though but did not hesitate to voice his disapproval.

Return to “Football”