Siders 09

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Siders 09

Post by Black@Orange »

After a excellent season, and some excellent ones in the not to far past. I think we have a solid coaching staff put together. And i think we have some nice talent here,and some nice talent coming up. I think our fan support is growing more and more. Can we be a team that can compete year in and year out, for the SOC and the playoffs?

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Siders 09

Post by Westfan »

absolutely. West will be very good this year, especially toward the end of the season when some of the younger kids get a little varsity experience and get adjusted to the speed of the game. The year after, West will be a contender for the state. Very good talent in the lower grades and finally a coaching staff willing to put in the time and get the most out of the talent.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

It all depends on how bad they want it. Last years team realized what it took to win a Championship and go to the playoffs, and they did it. It will be harder to do this year with less seniors, but there will still be some leadership. This year, however will be a test. With West hopefully becoming reestablished like old times, Burg staying constient, Minford start to establish theirselves year in and year out, Waverly bringing good teams here recently, and a young Valley team who might suprise a few people, the Soc looks tougher than ever before.

WestSide Pride
Waterboy

Post by WestSide Pride »

What is the starting lineup looking like for next season.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

From what knowledge I have heres my best guess

Qb-Tanner Journey, Jr.
Rb- Mark Murphy (Tailback in I-form and pistol), Sr.
Fb- Trevon Pendleton (Fullback in twins, and T), Jr.
Rb- Alex Thompson, Sr.
Te- Keith Fisher (may play some Rb), Sr.
Te- Lee Compton (Will probably be used as fullback in I-form), Jr.
Lt-Conway Cooper, So.
Lg-Tyler Mcgraw, Sr.
C- Adam Newman, So.
Rg- Brandon Moore, Jr.
Rt- Josh Wilfong, Sr.
Wr-Kyle Auger, So
Wr-Kyle Locher, Jr.

Other Possible Starters: Brett Houseworth (T), Jerrod Bricker (Rb, Fb), Adam Bricker (Fb, Te), Cody Bricker (T)

De- Keith Fisher, Sr.
De- Mark Murphy, Sr.
Ng- Cole Coleman, Jr.
Dt- Shawn Caudill, Jr.
Dt- Andy Sparks, Jr.
Lb- Trevon Pendleton, Jr.
Lb- Lee Compton, Jr.
Cb- Tanner Journey, Jr.
Cb- Alex Thompson (may be free safety), Sr.
Fs- Kyle Locher, Jr.
Ss- Jerrod Bricker, Jr.

Other possible starters: Kyle Auger (Cb/S), Brandon Moore (Dt), Adam Bricker (S), Cody Bricker (Dt)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

sider wrote:From what knowledge I have heres my best guess

Qb-Tanner Journey, Jr.
Rb- Mark Murphy (Tailback in I-form and pistol), Sr.
Fb- Trevon Pendleton (Fullback in twins, and T), Jr.
Rb- Alex Thompson, Sr.
Te- Keith Fisher (may play some Rb), Sr.
Te- Lee Compton (Will probably be used as fullback in I-form), Jr.
Lt-Conway Cooper, So.
Lg-Tyler Mcgraw, Sr.
C- Adam Newman, So.
Rg- Brandon Moore, Jr.
Rt- Josh Wilfong, Sr.
Wr-Kyle Auger, So
Wr-Kyle Locher, Jr.

Other Possible Starters: Brett Houseworth (T), Jerrod Bricker (Rb, Fb), Adam Bricker (Fb, Te), Cody Bricker (T)

De- Keith Fisher, Sr.
De- Mark Murphy, Sr.
Ng- Cole Coleman, Jr.
Dt- Shawn Caudill, Jr.
Dt- Andy Sparks, Jr.
Lb- Trevon Pendleton, Jr.
Lb- Lee Compton, Jr.
Cb- Tanner Journey, Jr.
Cb- Alex Thompson (may be free safety), Sr.
Fs- Kyle Locher, Jr.
Ss- Jerrod Bricker, Jr.

Other possible starters: Kyle Auger (Cb/S), Brandon Moore (Dt), Adam Bricker (S), Cody Bricker (Dt)

Looks good. One kid I think you forgot is Levi Ratliff. I think he'll challenge for the QB job and will see time in the defensive backfield. He is a very talented player. Has all the tools to be a great qb.

Other kid soph to be with the skills to be great is Auger. Excellent quickness and speed. I really think he'll be playing alot of tailback. He'll play alot of DB also.

WestSide Pride
Waterboy

Post by WestSide Pride »

I was thinking Locher was a QB or is he a WR.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

He was a Quarterback when he was a freshman, but from where he didn't play last year Tanner Journey got all of the reps that would have been Lochers. Now, I don't know but the next most logical condition for him to play would be a Receiver on offense.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Competition everywhere has to be a good thing. I think that 2 runningbacks are set with Murphy and Pendleton. With Thompson, J Bricker, and Auger getting the rest of the carries. But you will also have Fisher, A Bricker, and Summers pushing for some time. There is some really nice speed (J Bricker, Auger, and Summers). And some nice power (Fisher and ABricker) Thompson with both.
The line will be Wilfong,Mcgraw, and Moore. Along with sophmores Neman and C Cooper. You will have pressure from Coleman,Houseworth, and Sparks. With the other sophmores Cooper and C Bricker, I see nice rotations keeping everybody fresh. Especially on defense.
I see a threeway competition at QB, proably Journeys to lose. Nice runner,ran the JV really well with not much QB experience. Locher might have hurt hisself by not playing a year. But he is really athletic. Ratliff has a nice arm, makes good decisions, but is young. Should be interesting. 2 stud backs should help whoever wins. Don't forget about Compton at TE or FB.
On defense Pendleton and Compton at LB. Murphy at DE then competition everywhere. Auger will handle the kicking , needs to be more consistant. Don't know about punting. Alot have players will have to prove thereselves on special teams.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

Whats the schedule like for the Siders in '09?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've not heard of any schedule changes. Should be Fairland, South Point, Chesapeake, Waverly, and Minford at home. Portsmouth, Rock Hill, Northwest, Valley, and Burg on the road.

I forgot about Summers. I really like how he runs low to the ground. Good vision, very shifty, and has excellent speed. That Soph class to be may be the winningest class ever to go through West. Their off to a good start. I really like their combo of skill players and linemen. The one thing that they have alot of is speed. This years Seniors were talented and alot was always expected of them, but in my opinion the ceiling talent wise as a whole is higher for this group.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Can West compete year in and year out?Absolutely,look for the kids to just keep improving under the current coaching staff.Coach T. will have kids coming out of the wood works to play for him.I had no doubt last season that West would compete,only going to get better.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

West will be just as good if not better than last year...hope I can say the same about my Pirates...only time will tell.

Does anybody know if any of Wests seniors last year are going anywhere to play/

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Siderman, I agree that the sophmore class could be special. But they have a long to go. We've had some really good classes come thru.The difference could be the line. Newman, J Cooper,Bricker,C Cooper. If they stick together, and keep hitting the weights, they could be really special. The runningbacks and the quarterbacks, will get all the credit, if they win. But I know these backs, know who to give credit to, and that will only make them that much better.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

The Riepo Man wrote:West will be just as good if not better than last year...hope I can say the same about my Pirates...only time will tell.

Does anybody know if any of Wests seniors last year are going anywhere to play/

Word on the street is Dale Swords, Alfie Bricker, Scotty Sparks, Matt Lester, Travis Perry, and Travis Journey has had a few colleges visit them at school.

I know for a fact Marshall visited Sparks

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Dale Swords went to Urbana Saturday, and going to make a few more visits before he
decides where he wants to go. He is also going to Pikeville in KY on the 31st of this
month. Marshall and WVU want a highlight tape of him this week that he will be sending
out tomorrow.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

good luck to all those boys.

I'm not sure where Dale will end up, but I think some schools may be making a mistake not giving him a look. I think he could be a heck of a college strong safety. One thing's for sure, whoever it is won't get a harder worker or a better young man.

Sider mentioned Alfie. He is just a pure athlete. He could play any of the 3 sports and excell. One of my friends is a big baseball fan. He really thinks Alfie could possibly be a major league pitcher.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Bricker is the best overall athlete at West and maybe he county. When your the Basketball player, Baseball player, and Football player (arguably) at your school, thats saying something. His best sport however probably is baseball. He would have a better record in high school if it wasn't for poor run support, and failure to keep a coach. He has a live arm and with improved mechanics he could possibly hit low 90's. But, back to football. A person that might suprise some people next year that hasn't been mentioned is Shawn Caudill. He has nonstop motor and a lot of quickness. He is similar to Weber, Evans, and Alley was this year.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

siderman wrote:good luck to all those boys.

I'm not sure where Dale will end up, but I think some schools may be making a mistake not giving him a look. I think he could be a heck of a college strong safety. One thing's for sure, whoever it is won't get a harder worker or a better young man.

Sider mentioned Alfie. He is just a pure athlete. He could play any of the 3 sports and excell. One of my friends is a big baseball fan. He really thinks Alfie could possibly be a major league pitcher.

Yes, Alfie is a heck of a pitcher. His mechanics are just off. Has he ever thought about taking lessons with Coach Martin from Minford? Jordan Russel knows how well Coach Martin can help. Although he is good I dont think he is Major league material. Very rarely do you have that kind of talent come through. Those guys are on a complete different level. But I do however think that he can play at a good college and with a little work D-1 college or a MAC school, such as Kent State. Best of luck to the seniors of 2009

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

anyone who's tall, left handed, and can/could hit the low 90s is a prospect. Those guys are at a premium.

Return to “Football”