Gallia County Traveling Midget Football Program Meeting

devilfan08
Freshman Team

Re: Gallia County Traveling Midget Football Program Meeting

Post by devilfan08 »

It will take away from the MFL!!! The numbers was alittle down this last season. The better players will leave.

RioProf
Riding the Bench

Post by RioProf »

20-25 players tops that it may take away. But there are so many boys that are interested in this that have been going to meigs, point, oak hill and fairland to play. As a high school coach and/or parent I would love to see this happen. It makes your better players play better competition and the players that need more work, it will give them an opportunity to play in the city league instead of always the best players. Just my opinion. I am only trying to make football in Gallia County better.

Blacksunshine
Riding the Bench

Post by Blacksunshine »

RioProf, You idea is good to an extent. I won't make to many comments on just how bad the MFL program has been in the past, it is improving. One question to you would be are there more than one division, a 3rd grader isn't playing against 6th, I assume. The problem with what we have in place is it's only for 5th and 6th. Once again we lag behind in the area of development, Meigs, Mason, and Lawerence counties start them out at a younger age. As noted, Gallia County has kids going and playing in these other programs and we do nothing to try and keep them here and develop a program, our partial solution is to let them practice as 4th graders but they can't play in the games. I like the idea of developing younger teams(3rd and 4th), I just am not a supporter of traveling to do so, no offense to what you are doing. We have the resources and the facilities to develop a 3rd and 4th grade program, good luck in your endeavor.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I dont see a problem with something like this, as long as the kids/parents understand travel demands and that the program is a teaching program. Kids in 2-6 grades need to learn how to block and tackle. Its not only about pitching the ball to the biggest or fastest guy and watch him run over or around people.

Ironton has (2) teams for 4-6 grade and (2) teams for 2-3 grades. They travel to as far as Oak Hill to play. Most games are local like Coal Grove, Rock Hill, Green, Symmes Valley.

I dont think it would be bad to see a traveling team of say 18 kids and then have another team that plays in the regular county league. It would be neat to see kids play against Russell, Ashland, Gallia, Burg, Portsmouth, etc.

Instruction is the key. If the little leagues can teach proper blocking and tackling skills, it goes a long way at helping the junior high and high school program.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

The teams are divided 3-4 and 5-6 graders, right?

Two different teams

RioProf
Riding the Bench

Post by RioProf »

Overall it is one team but broken down to a Varsity (5-6) and JV (3-4). Each will play games against their own ages.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

This is an interesting idea. Even though I won't have any kids involved in this program, I might just attend one of the meeting, just to see what its all about

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

I love the idea!!!

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

My son is signing up!!!!He played at Fairland last year and he will be going into 4th grade!!!!

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

futurebkstar wrote:My son is signing up!!!!He played at Fairland last year and he will be going into 4th grade!!!!

Hope he's faster than his dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :122245 :122245 :122245

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I would like him to take after his mom's side!!!!My wife is going to a baby shower today and hopefully the baby comes out stronger and better looking than his dad!!!

Return to “Football”