Northwest switching from SOC 2 to SOC 1?

Portsmouth98
All State

Re: Northwest switching from SOC 2 to SOC 1?

Post by Portsmouth98 »

There is no reason this should bother anyone in the S.O.C. It means more points and prestige for the SOC 2 schools without NW on the schedule. For the SOC 1 schools they will provide balanced competition, they are bigger, but it will beat a long bus drive to at least Athens county to find the next pocket of small d5/d6 schools.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

To the person that said that west should be able to move because they stink in basketball right now,well, the west's girls team was the worst in this region not too long ago.And now they are on the road to respectability.Did you hear the west girls say they needed to move to the soc 1? No.So the west boys need to take the some route.Get better..As for NW,they will always stink in football and maybe there is no getting better.They will be more competitive in d1 but still most likely will never dominate.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Tobias wrote:Since you feel that way about it...as a West fan, maybe you could ask your Superintendent to stop the inflow of athletes from Northwest to West via open enrollment...

:mrgreen:
I absolutely do. Their aren't enough kids that come to West to make that much of a difference.

Selfishly, I'm glad to see them gone and hope their gone for good. I hate playing them. What I'm saying is for the SOC to vote yes to let a team with 187 boys on the last count, to play in a 6 team conference where 3 of the school have less than 75 kids is rediculous.
Slim Jim wrote:To the person that said that west should be able to move because they stink in basketball right now,well, the west's girls team was the worst in this region not too long ago.And now they are on the road to respectability.Did you hear the west girls say they needed to move to the soc 1? No.So the west boys need to take the some route.Get better..As for NW,they will always stink in football and maybe there is no getting better.They will be more competitive in d1 but still most likely will never dominate.
The SOC II is a really good basketball conference with alot of postseason success. West has been bad at basketball. We have got better, but irregardless, we don't go crying to switch leagues just because we're loosing

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

I could see all soc2 teams dropping them from schedule

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

I believe it is interesting that this was approved 13-3. I would think this means the 5 SOC1 schools voted on this 2-3. Does anyone else find this is a little unfair to East, Green, Symmes Valley, and Notre Dame? The fact that Western or South Webster or Clay etc.... has a vote on this is a little strange----but it is the way the SOC does business.

The SOC is a very weird league though as member schools are in the big school (can we call it that now?) division for some sports and in the small school division for others.......... I am not sure another league in the state of Ohio does business in this fashion.

The 16 team SOC is very strong in basketball, baseball, volleyball and softball with all of their members participating in 2 very competitive 8 team leagues. Football doesn't have that advantage and I guess can make up its own rules.

I believe this will be fine until Northwest wins the SOC1 in football and then it will be hard to accept for the other teams in SOC1 who truly voted it down but were outvoted by the 5 big school teams who wanted to get rid of Northwest and the 5 non football schools who voted because the by-laws said they could!

Think about it for a second-----what other league in Ohio would add a team to a 5 team league that voted 2 to 3 not in favor? Only the SOC!

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

svbt1112 wrote:I believe it is interesting that this was approved 13-3. I would think this means the 5 SOC1 schools voted on this 2-3. Does anyone else find this is a little unfair to East, Green, Symmes Valley, and Notre Dame? The fact that Western or South Webster or Clay etc.... has a vote on this is a little strange----but it is the way the SOC does business.

The SOC is a very weird league though as member schools are in the big school (can we call it that now?) division for some sports and in the small school division for others.......... I am not sure another league in the state of Ohio does business in this fashion.

The 16 team SOC is very strong in basketball, baseball, volleyball and softball with all of their members participating in 2 very competitive 8 team leagues. Football doesn't have that advantage and I guess can make up its own rules.

I believe this will be fine until Northwest wins the SOC1 in football and then it will be hard to accept for the other teams in SOC1 who truly voted it down but were outvoted by the 5 big school teams who wanted to get rid of Northwest and the 5 non football schools who voted because the by-laws said they could!

Think about it for a second-----what other league in Ohio would add a team to a 5 team league that voted 2 to 3 not in favor? Only the SOC!

You'd probably be suprised.
Last edited by Winchell on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

Northwest will only become worse. I seriously doubt that they will ever win the small division of the SOC.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

yeah i dont see northwest winning the division still. they can not beat east or symmes valley and i doubt they beat notre dame. northwest sucks because they put no money into the middle school teams. the first bit of actual coaching these kids get is when they get into high school. i have seen several of the middle schools games in the past and it was awful.

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

Maybe Northwest should try this out for a couple years, See how things go. If its not heading in the right direction, they might want to consider disbanning the Football program and put all their resources into Basketball, Baseball and Soccer. If I was at Northwest I would be getting tired of being the doormat to all of the area Schools in the SOC 1 & 2 conferences. They seem to excell in these sports just not football......... :roll:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Tobias wrote:siderman, the Pendletons lived in the NW district...

I know that. Everybody knows that. But Garrett wasn't going to let his kids rot out there in a terrible program. He didn't need open enrollment to move them. He would've built a house on the Westside to get them out of there.

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

Tobias wrote:
siderman wrote:
Tobias wrote:siderman, the Pendletons lived in the NW district...

I know that. Everybody knows that. But Garrett wasn't going to let his kids rot out there in a terrible program. He didn't need open enrollment to move them. He would've built a house on the Westside to get them out of there.
...and Northwest will not be good at football when good players go to Valley and West to play...

...just a point...
Tobias, I see your point. Now name me any players that have transfered to WEST or VALLEY in the last.......let's say 5 years to play football that has made an impact to those schools and has been detrimental to Northwest's football program that has kept them from winning the SOC 2 or let alone finishing .500 season? :122248

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Pretty sure if the Pendeltons had gone to NW they would have made a HUGE impact on the won loss record.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Luke Brown, the senior at NW this year would've been a star at other SOC II school. He was good, but 1 or 2 good athletes on a JV team talent wise doesn't make a football team.

His brother graduated in 08 or 09 and was a stud also. But it was the same scenerio.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

siderman wrote:Luke Brown, the senior at NW this year would've been a star at other SOC II school. He was good, but 1 or 2 good athletes on a JV team talent wise doesn't make a football team.

His brother graduated in 08 or 09 and was a stud also. But it was the same scenerio.
I completely agree with this. Luke could have been have as good of stats anyone in long time if he were on West, Valley, or Minford. Even though, I think Northwest would be better if everyone stayed, but the program is bad, not the players

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Siderman,
I have been a part of Northwest both as an athlete,coach and teacher!! I'm here to tell you that I don't care what the numbers say, Northwest needs to be and are now a part of the SOC 1. This should of happened a long time ago. Will this guarantee that Northwest will win the SOC 1??? No, but it will give them a chance to be competitive. Their record in the SOC since the 80's is awful, but should they be bullied for 30 more years in the game of football?? No, they shouldn't!!! They now have a chance to get more numbers out and maybe, just maybe improve the whole SOC!!Years ago when I attended there as an athlete, there was ALOT of talent walking the halls. Yes, if some of us would have played football the results might have been different, but we will never know. There are not those type of athletes in the halls now. I can tell you, that the athletes that are there now are playing football!!!! Yes, it is sad but this has been needed to be done for years!!
By the way, was WEST one of the votes that didn't want them to leave?? Shame on that vote if you were!! I understand that it is great to beat Northwest 50-0 or 50-6, but if that was one of your kids how would you feel??? I think I already know that answer!!!!!
I also believe that portsmouth should be added to the SOC 2-how does west vote on that??? Most of the SOC 2 schools play them already-this will only help the hole region in voting for playoffs!!! Shame on all of you who can't see through allowing kids to have some success!! Northwest has been bullied forever by SOC 2 schools and thank GOD there are some people out there who have finally voted to let them (maybe) have some success!!! Hopefully, Portsmouth is next!!!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Who is to blame for the lack of success in all sports??? Let me give you my observation of what I have witnessed since the 80"s. You can't blame this on any single thing. 1) Blame the Biddy Ball programs-Qualified coaches?? Coaches who have never played?? Is it all about winning or learning?? 2) Blame the players-How hard do they work in the offseason? Do most/all lift weights all summer?? Do most/all attend camps?? Do they have 7-7?? 3) Blame the parents- Do most/all make their kids get better, by attending workouts, camps, etc...?? Most/all scream,blame the coaches?? Most/all think they know more than the coaches?? 4) Blame the School Board/Administration- For not leaving a coach in place for more than a few years!!! You, were part of hiring them!!! Do you all back your coaches??? No!!!!! 5) Economically-pretty poor school district, kids struggle getting back and forth to workouts, practices, etc... 6) Blame most/all of the head coaches- Do you have any say in how the biddy ball programs, jr. high programs are ran??? Do you show up and work with the (biddy)young, not just your team???
As you can see, there are so many reasons why Northwest not only struggles in football but other sports programs also!!! I just want to see all the programs succeed and for this to happen ALL the above have to take some blame and change what has been done for years!!!!!!

N4da'score
Freshman Team

Post by N4da'score »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:Who is to blame for the lack of success in all sports??? Let me give you my observation of what I have witnessed since the 80"s. You can't blame this on any single thing. 1) Blame the Biddy Ball programs-Qualified coaches?? Coaches who have never played?? Is it all about winning or learning?? 2) Blame the players-How hard do they work in the offseason? Do most/all lift weights all summer?? Do most/all attend camps?? Do they have 7-7?? 3) Blame the parents- Do most/all make their kids get better, by attending workouts, camps, etc...?? Most/all scream,blame the coaches?? Most/all think they know more than the coaches?? 4) Blame the School Board/Administration- For not leaving a coach in place for more than a few years!!! You, were part of hiring them!!! Do you all back your coaches??? No!!!!! 5) Economically-pretty poor school district, kids struggle getting back and forth to workouts, practices, etc... 6) Blame most/all of the head coaches- Do you have any say in how the biddy ball programs, jr. high programs are ran??? Do you show up and work with the (biddy)young, not just your team???
As you can see, there are so many reasons why Northwest not only struggles in football but other sports programs also!!! I just want to see all the programs succeed and for this to happen ALL the above have to take some blame and change what has been done for years!!!!!!
AMEN.AMEN.AMEN :aaaaa19 :aaaaa19 :aaaaa19

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:Siderman,
I have been a part of Northwest both as an athlete,coach and teacher!! I'm here to tell you that I don't care what the numbers say, Northwest needs to be and are now a part of the SOC 1. This should of happened a long time ago. Will this guarantee that Northwest will win the SOC 1??? No, but it will give them a chance to be competitive. Their record in the SOC since the 80's is awful, but should they be bullied for 30 more years in the game of football?? No, they shouldn't!!! They now have a chance to get more numbers out and maybe, just maybe improve the whole SOC!!Years ago when I attended there as an athlete, there was ALOT of talent walking the halls. Yes, if some of us would have played football the results might have been different, but we will never know. There are not those type of athletes in the halls now. I can tell you, that the athletes that are there now are playing football!!!! Yes, it is sad but this has been needed to be done for years!!
By the way, was WEST one of the votes that didn't want them to leave?? Shame on that vote if you were!! I understand that it is great to beat Northwest 50-0 or 50-6, but if that was one of your kids how would you feel??? I think I already know that answer!!!!!
I also believe that portsmouth should be added to the SOC 2-how does west vote on that??? Most of the SOC 2 schools play them already-this will only help the hole region in voting for playoffs!!! Shame on all of you who can't see through allowing kids to have some success!! Northwest has been bullied forever by SOC 2 schools and thank GOD there are some people out there who have finally voted to let them (maybe) have some success!!! Hopefully, Portsmouth is next!!!!
Well I give you one thing, you have passion. But you don't get anything that I was saying.

NW is terrible. We seem to agree on that.

West doesn't want to play NW. Most years we are in playoff contention, and they kill us in second level points.

Contrary to some people's belief. Large numbers of kids aren't coming to West to play football. A few do as a few have went to NW for basketball over the years.

I don't know who the 3 no votes were. But based on the these points I highly doubt it was West or any of the other SOC II schools for that matter. It probably was the 3 really small schools in the SOC I that are now going to play in a league with 2 schools much much bigger.

You say NW has been bullied all these years? How is that Notre Dame, Green, or East's problem? NW had and always have had options. They chose to stay in the league. They could've went independent, to the OVC, or another conference. But moving them to a league to play teams with a fourth of the enrollment is a JOKE. NW being bad at football isn't their problem. And using the small SOC I as a training ground to rejuvinate their program at their expense is wrong.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

philbilly wrote:Northwest will only become worse. I seriously doubt that they will ever win the small division of the SOC.
izladoom wrote:yeah i dont see northwest winning the division still. they can not beat east or symmes valley and i doubt they beat notre dame. northwest sucks because they put no money into the middle school teams. the first bit of actual coaching these kids get is when they get into high school. i have seen several of the middle schools games in the past and it was awful.
Honestly, I think they will win it and eventually be at the top every year. If you notice, Soc 1 dominance really goes in cycles more drastically than other schools in this area because they are so small. In the early 2000's Valley and S. Valley was strong, Oak Hill was good, East was mediocre and Notre Dame and Green were bad, then in the middle of the decade East and ND cycled up, Green had a few decent years and S.Valley, Oak Hill and Valley cycled down (even though they left the league). The past few years Oak Hill was great (other than this year), S.Valley was good, Notre Dame was mediocre, East was down (except for this year), and Green has been bad...

Although, Northwest's record against Soc 1 teams isn't spectacular I think they will start winning around 5 games a season and this will increase interest in the program which eventually could lead to Northwest establishing dominance and giving the Soc II another try...

28Buck
Freshman Team

Post by 28Buck »

I recently heard from a very reliable source that according to the boys enrollment statistics that Valley was going to return to SOC I and Oak Hill move up. But Northwest volunteered to move down instead of Valley if Valley voted them to move. This all according to the SOC constituiton.... Minford has agreed to a 2 year deal with Northwest to play them in week 4 in 2014. Only because Minford will have to find 5 games instead of 6. Which is quite hard to manage.

Return to “Football”