Week 10: Nelsonville-York (9-0) at Athens (9-0)

Simple poll: Who wins the game?

Total votes: 0

Power 105
All Conference

Re: Week 10: Nelsonville-York (9-0) at Athens (9-0)

Post by Power 105 »

Reminder that this game is the Athens County Game of the Week on Power 105 and 970 WATH. Coverage begins at 6:06 til 7 on 970 WATH with the Sports Fan presented by J&K Contracting where we will talk to both coaches and preview the big matchup.

7:15 pregame starts on Power 105 and 970 WATH and kickoff is 7:30. Rob Schreier and Jake Corrigan will have the call.

You can listen online at athensi.com, just scroll down the right side and find WXTQ FM or WATH AM.

Lard76
Waterboy

Post by Lard76 »

93Bulldog wrote:Wow ... 33 votes for NY to win ... Only 13 say Athens ... Interesting.

I liked the article in todays Messenger about the NY/Alex game:

Jacob Coon quote: "Its been the greatest year. I was a Bulldog growing up. Guess what? They're going to have something coming to them. We'll be ready for it."

Anyone think Coach Boston will make Coon run any laps this week for providing buletin board material for Athens? Well, that is of course after he gets his breath back from running a fumble recovery 30 yards for a touchdown Friday ... :mrgreen:

The lady who called into 107.7 last night called it 'poetry in motion' ... lol ... I seen it on T.V. today - Uh, it looked more like 'a whale out of water.'

(And yea, the post is to add a little humor to the topic - absolutly no pun intented.)
Coon is a killer whale with a huge hunger for Bulldog

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I doubt if either team will need to get up any higher for this game. I bet NY's pep assembly Friday will be rockin.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ok, after reading the first two pages of this post and all the talk that goes on throughout the year I now know why the TVC can't win playoff games. There is so much emphasis, overhyping and exaggeration put on the TVC games during the year that come playoff time there is a letdown come week 11. If some of these teams would get that excited about the playoffs then they might go more than one round. Save some of that energy for week 11 and beyond or do as Ironton and Amanda-Clearcreek have done over the years, keep an even keel throughout the year (not too high, not too low) and treat each game the same regardless of the opponent. If you keep too many eggs in one basket they will break. JMO

bucks_09
Freshman Team

Post by bucks_09 »

93Bulldog wrote:3 observations from the 'cheap seats'.

1) The offensive output by both teams versus TVC-Ohio opponents: Nelsonville-York 1,477 yards ... Athens 1,474 yards ... That's crazy how equal that is.
2) The defensive versus TVC-Ohio opponents: Nelsonville-York has given up 674 yards ... Athens 604 yards.
3) Nathan Dean has rushed for 1,574 yards on the season; Nathan Dean has passed for 1,571 yards ... When is the last time a NY team has been so balanced - that is impressive.

FOR COMPLETE GAME BREAKDOWN: http://trivalleyconference.com/AAA.html
How in the hell do you have Nathan Dean down rushing for 1,574 yards. I think you might mean Dustin Young.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog wrote:3 observations from the 'cheap seats'.

1) The offensive output by both teams versus TVC-Ohio opponents: Nelsonville-York 1,477 yards ... Athens 1,474 yards ... That's crazy how equal that is.
2) The defensive versus TVC-Ohio opponents: Nelsonville-York has given up 674 yards ... Athens 604 yards.
3) Dustin Young has rushed for 1,574 yards on the season; Nathan Dean has passed for 1,571 yards ... When is the last time a NY team has been so balanced - that is impressive.

FOR COMPLETE GAME BREAKDOWN: http://trivalleyconference.com/AAA.html

Relax - it was typo.

IVE ADDED TO THE PREVIEW PAGE ... http://trivalleyconference.com/AAA.html

Ive also updated the home page for this weeks games.

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

Does anyone have the stats for the whole season thus far not just against tvc opponents..? for offense and defense both teams... jw? I know these teams are pretty equal but i would give the NY defense a slight edge... both have more then a couple weapons on offense it could be a high scoring game or a defensive low scoring game.. it could come down to who made the least mistakes and or had less penalties. Both teams will have to use passing game and i give Dean the edge he will be the deference maker for NY imo...

NY 34

Athens 27

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

buckeyeguy wrote:Does anyone have the stats for the whole season thus far not just against tvc opponents..? for offense and defense both teams... jw? I know these teams are pretty equal but i would give the NY defense a slight edge... both have more then a couple weapons on offense it could be a high scoring game or a defensive low scoring game.. it could come down to who made the least mistakes and or had less penalties. Both teams will have to use passing game and i give Dean the edge he will be the deference maker for NY imo...

NY 34

Athens 27
I will have individual season stats for NY and Athens here in a little while ... I could try to whip up some team stats for both teams for the season - but it might take me a day or so buckeyeguy.

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

Thank you 93, I just wanted to compare both teams on certian areas through the whole 9 weeks kinda see who could have an edge in certian places not that it will matter in this game, everything is out the window its gonna be a great one..

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens individual team stats are updated after week 9: http://trivalleyconference.com/Athens.html

Nelsonville-York team stats are updated after week 9: http://trivalleyconference.com/Nelsonville-York.html

BUCKEYEGUY - Here is what I have for season stats (Now, they are probably a little off - they didn't come from coaches, but newspapers and such)

OFFENSE:
Athens: 3,320 total yards and 324 points scored. (369 yds per game: 36 pts per game)
NY: 3,622 total yards and 405 points scored. (402 yds per game: 45 pts per game)

DEFENSE:
Athens: 1,612 total yards allowed and 96 pts allowed. (179 yds per game: 10.6 pts per game)
NY: 1,750 total yds allowed and 51 pts allowed. (194 yds per game: 5.7 pts per game)

* The reason I don't like the seasonal stat comparison is because the difference in opponents is just to wide spread. Athens faced a QB down at Warren (leffingwell) who threw the ball 36 times and racked up over 200 yards through the air. Warren ended up with 322 yards of total offense, which is far and away the best any team was able to do against Athens. In week 1, Athens barely beat a pretty good Gallia Academy team (6-3 overall); while Nelsonville-York ran up a ton of yards and points versus Trimble. I know the 'Cats are a pretty good [D6] team, but in no know way do I think they are as good as Gallia Academy. All the other match-ups are kind of similar; but it only takes one or two games to completely mess up any stat comparison.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

As even as even can be. NY's Defense has not allowed more than 14 points in a game this year. I think Athens could be the first, or it could be a very low scoring game. We will have to see.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

According to Eitel both NY and Athens are in the playoffs. Congrats to both teams. That is one less pressure for them. Now home field game is the only thing left playoff wise to play for.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

93Bulldog wrote:Athens individual team stats are updated after week 9: http://trivalleyconference.com/Athens.html

Nelsonville-York team stats are updated after week 9: http://trivalleyconference.com/Nelsonville-York.html

BUCKEYEGUY - Here is what I have for season stats (Now, they are probably a little off - they didn't come from coaches, but newspapers and such)

OFFENSE:
Athens: 3,320 total yards and 324 points scored. (369 yds per game: 36 pts per game)
NY: 3,622 total yards and 405 points scored. (402 yds per game: 45 pts per game)

DEFENSE:
Athens: 1,612 total yards allowed and 96 pts allowed. (179 yds per game: 10.6 pts per game)
NY: 1,750 total yds allowed and 51 pts allowed. (194 yds per game: 5.7 pts per game)

* The reason I don't like the seasonal stat comparison is because the difference in opponents is just to wide spread. Athens faced a QB down at Warren (leffingwell) who threw the ball 36 times and racked up over 200 yards through the air. Warren ended up with 322 yards of total offense, which is far and away the best any team was able to do against Athens. In week 1, Athens barely beat a pretty good Gallia Academy team (6-3 overall); while Nelsonville-York ran up a ton of yards and points versus Trimble. I know the 'Cats are a pretty good [D6] team, but in no know way do I think they are as good as Gallia Academy. All the other match-ups are kind of similar; but it only takes one or two games to completely mess up any stat comparison.

Wonder how much of these stats came against the 2nd teams.
Won't be seeing much of the 2nds during this game.

How many players on both teams go both ways?
With the scores from these two teams it would seem the 2nd team would have had a lot of playing time.

zipper1
Freshman Team

Post by zipper1 »

I HOPE NY PUTS IT TO ATHENS SO BAD THAT ALL OF GRIDIRONS COVERAGE IS ON NY THEY DESERVE THE COVERAGE IT SI TIME FOR THE DOGS AND NY TO PUT IT OUT ON THE FIELD .HOPE THEY DONT HAVE THE SAME REFS THAT WAS IN WELLSTON IF THEY DO I FEEL SORRY FOR THEM.HELMENT HITS AND BELOW THE KNEES HITS THATS WHAT ATHENS GOOD FOR NY BETTER TEAM

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Exactly noreply66. NY always kept their 1st string in a lot longer than Athens. It is too hard to compare yardage in that sense. Athens could have scored many more points had they left Skinner, Sharp, Russell, Stanley, etc in a lot longer like NY did with their starters.

No matter what the circumstances this will be a great game. I give Athens the edge due to it being at Athens.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

good luck to both. going to be a hard hitting showdown. lets go green!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I don't think either team played the starters much in the second half of any games with the exception of Athens being forced to in close games with Gallia and Warren on the road.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I'm not making excuses for a scenereo where Athens loses but the Bulldogs like many other teams this time of year are far from healthy. Athens has many key players banged up, Josh Skinner, Chris Russell, and Seth Stalder all missed last weeks game due to various injuries and DeVon Sharp has been battling a nagging groin injury for a few weeks now (it was clearly evident at Wellston on the slick field) and hasn't been nearly as quick with the first step. Are there any health problems at N-Y?
Last edited by A-Town Big Dog on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I know NY played them in the Meigs game and into the 4th Quarter in the Newark Catholic and Ready games, minus that, they have not.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

93Bulldog wrote:Athens individual team stats are updated after week 9: http://trivalleyconference.com/Athens.html

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

I understand Trimble may not be gallia but with your analogy wouldn't it be fair to say that that good Warren team played a team NY beat (by a bigger spread than Trimble) in Logan to double overtime?
Last edited by buckfan84 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”