wheelersburg 2008

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I have seen many times where a kid matures a lot faster than the kids he is competing against at the 5-8 grade range. The kid is dominant at that age but when all the other kids catch up physically in highschool the kid doesn't turn out to be the dominant athlete he was when he was younger. It's not always about how good an athlete you are either. You can be a good athlete but if your heart isn't in it or you are getting out worked by other kids that negates the advantage the kid has physically. You really hit the jackpot as a coach and community in this area when you have a kid with DIV1 size and athletic ability, the work ethic and the killer instinct. In bball the burg has been very lucky to have a few of those type kids over the years. In fball they have one come along every 5 yrs maybe. Those type kids are special and can take over ball games.

whspirate
Waterboy

Post by whspirate »

fbnut wrote:I have seen many times where a kid matures a lot faster than the kids he is competing against at the 5-8 grade range. The kid is dominant at that age but when all the other kids catch up physically in highschool the kid doesn't turn out to be the dominant athlete he was when he was younger. It's not always about how good an athlete you are either. You can be a good athlete but if your heart isn't in it or you are getting out worked by other kids that negates the advantage the kid has physically. You really hit the jackpot as a coach and community in this area when you have a kid with DIV1 size and athletic ability, the work ethic and the killer instinct. In bball the burg has been very lucky to have a few of those type kids over the years. In fball they have one come along every 5 yrs maybe. Those type kids are special and can take over ball games.

I agree with this statement. It is very typical that a kid is held back and excels at a young age. Once others mature they pass them physically. Nothing is a guarantee, but most of the time it gives the person an advantage. That advantage is not always what they expect. It becomes a problem of high expectations. Parents and community members have a perception of those kids at an early age that does not transfer when they get into high school. Along with that perception they are clueless when it comes to other talents outside the area. They are also clueless when it comes to playing at the next level. You see it all the time where parents and kids think they can earn a Div I scholarship based on their respected area. For example, if there are 85 scholarships available at 200 Div I schools for football..... how many of those scholarships are available in a given year per school? Try 10-15 maybe!!! Multiply that by 200 schools and you have 2000-3000 scholarships available for many, many kids across the world. I know these numbers are not exact. I know that the figures are much less. However, parents and kids are clueless about these facts.

There are many ways to earn a scholarship athletically. The problem is that kids are not willing to do most of them. They all expect to be treated like a blue chip athlete and that is never the case. Especially in southern Ohio.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Also add that some of the dominant older players in Jr. High are not kept grounded and usually do not think they have to work to further their skills. This is where the younger kids that are hungry work harder and eventually catch and/or pass them.

Back to Burg football. Good news from the weight room attendance. Sounds like several incoming seniors are back out this year and at weights. I have heard that Brogden, Max Spradlin, and Aaron Salyers all have been attending football weights and rumors are that Dustin Robertson may play this year. A couple have not played since they were freshman. Not sure if they can develop into key starters by sitting out a year or two. It is hard enough holding a starting spot playing all 4 years at Burg. In any case, it will add to the OL size with Brogden at 6' 230+ and Robertson at 6'4" 250+.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I'll add that whspirate is totally right. It is amazing how many parents are clueless about what it takes to get a D I scholarship, and particularly, the mold required as to size, speed and ability. The truth as I see it is if you are a D I player 98% of the time the college recruiters will find you.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

One thing about holding a kid back a is how it affects summer baseball if he plays... I am thinking that since I matured later and hung out with the classes below me that I might consider holding my kids back a year, but I don't want them to not be able to play baseball with the kids they take classes with... If I could wait until Jr. High I would consider waiting... the only other option is to plan to have my kids born in August afte the cutoff/deadline... anyone know when the age cutoff is for baseball? Aug. 1st?

Return to “Football”