Marietta early leader in All-Sports Trophy race

2old
All Conference

Re: Marietta early leader in All-Sports Trophy race

Post by 2old »

Glad to see the severe cases of "Chieftain Envy" made it through the off season. Some people just do not know when they have been dominated. Well maybe this will help you understand. I see even Athens finished ahead of Gallia in the all sports Trophy points. I would say on the river are where the valleys are and Logan is pretty much on top of the heap.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Gahs,

Glad to see you have not changed since I last posted.
A. YOU do have Chieftain Envy, you are in denial.
B. I see you continue to make excuses for Gallia high School. If it is not injuries it is something else. Bad call, wet ball you have a million of them.
C. I see you still resort to personal attacks. I have been posting for about 5 years and I find fans who have no team to speak highly of often result to persoanally belitteling other posters.

The really sad part is some guy who is a moderator and post all year. Football season is all I need. You apparently have a year round 16-17 year old problem.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

As usual, there appears to be some wishful thinking going on here. I gloat not on Logan winning the AST, although its quite an accomplishment considering it takes in all boys & girls teams across 16 sports , but note again that of the 6 top spots in the rankings, 5 are held by the North. Those are numbers that are not "lucky" , but reflect an overall sports program that the communities strive to compete well in.

Please review the immediate past years in the "new" SEOAL. It is similiar. For those who may have forgot, this was a prediction of mine several years ago when much bluster emanated from the South. I also told you not to judge the first year or two in the league, but look back after 5 years as a pattern would emerge. That pattern is well underway and will reflect poorly on several teams who are just starting to realize that they have bitten off more than they can chew. Cycles have NOTHING to do with it. It reflects the reality of better competition and some who have been "faking it" are now caught in their lie. Failure to address their schedules to push their athletes to strive for higher levels of success is well known here from previous discussions.

The 5 years isn't up yet, but I feel safe in saying that the split is only going to get deeper as old attitudes die hard in the South. Matters little. Most of the North teams will benefit from the new SEOAL. The South, however, will be faced with a new reality that few here have grasped yet.

Pity !! 8)

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

First off...I support a North Division school. I feel the AST is a joke. It rewards those with more opportunities, not the best competitors. The arrogance of some on here amazes me. We are talking about kids, yet some like to use others successes and failures for their own egos. Back in the day maybe these people were scoring points for their school, but now they are just living in the past.
Every school in the league succeeds in certain sports and and suffers in others. The biggest school in the league really struggles every year in one certain spring sport. How can this be if they are so superior to the other schools? It IS a cycle and they will once again field great teams in that sport again. Just like Warren will play good football again someday.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The mentality here is amazing and fitting as most view SEO as somewhat backward. Leagues all over the state compete for their AST. Colleges do as well. What next -- play sports , but not keep score ?? :lol:

Again, if the SEOAL ( all members) thought the AST wasn't needed, they would eliminate it democratically. But they award the trophy annually. And ALL of the North schools make an EFFORT to compete for it. And FIVE of the 6 TOP SPOTS are held by the North. That, in fact, isn't a cycle . Its known as SUPERIOR competition, by boys & girls, across 16 sports.

Unless you are arguing that DEMOGRAPHICS run in cycles !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Well put gahs4ever, some of us understand the big picture here.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Marietta had won four straight going into this year. The winter sports sort of set them back this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... no "pay to participate" here in Logan ... something I know AD Ron Janey never wants to do and is very proud to NOT have to have here in the land of the Purple ...

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I love listening to all this stuff. Logan has not won the AST for quite awhile. It seems as long as the AST resided in Washington County everyone is ok with that. And all this talk about size. Get over it. We are all brothers in the league. We are here by CHOICE. No one is MADE to join or stay in this league. So the mention of size sounds alot like the familiar Whine from so many posters.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

gahs4ever wrote:It isnt a coincidence that GAHS does not have both boys and girls tennis or boys and girls soccer either. There is obviously interest in both, and GAHS has a very good history in SEOAL tennis, even though our coed team competes in the boys league. Likewise soccer is something relatively new at GAHS, and our coed team competes in the boys league.

I'm pretty sure that neither girls tennis or girls soccer count in the AST b/c not enough teams compete. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive PHS, IHS, GAHS, Warren (tennis), and Jackson (tennis) do not offer them.

Soccer MIGHT have enough, but tennis does not have enough participating schools.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I was thinking all sports counted now.

If 10 teams and only 6 took part in tennis I thought it would go like this.

1st----6pts
2nd---5
3rd---4
4th---3
5th---2
6th---1

I know at one time you had to have a certain number for it to count,but once they went to 10 teams I thought they threw that out and went with the above.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

That was my understanding as well. Hence we waited for tennis to finish to make the final standings & award the final points.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I may be wrong but I don't think they ever finished the tennis.
I was thinking the points were divided.

Gallipolis and Zanesville both received 6.5 points

Portsmouth and Logan each earned 4.5

Ironton and Marietta 2.5 each

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Did someone say different?

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

All sports in which the SEOAL recognizes a champion are included in the point totals. And, yes, the boys tennis points were divided since they didn't finish due to that week-long period of rain.

I understand both sides of the AST debate. Personally, I'd like to see an AST system that's equitable, maybe dividing the final point totals by the number of sports teams a school actually fields, but like my good friend LoganLocos I also agree that every sport needs to be included.

Yes, I'm from a North Division school (gee, can you tell which one?), and my name and work is familiar all around the SEOAL because I'm both a fan AND supporter of the ENTIRE SEOAL and always will be, no matter what schools are in it.

To me, North-South is for scheduling purposes only to cut down on travel. It's a nine-team (soon to be eight when Zanesville leaves) league and I want to see ALL of its teams and athletes do well. We're not the mega-mart OCC with 32 schools, four separate champions and no league inter-action between the divisions.

The SEOAL beamed with pride when Chillicothe won the state basketball championship (and, yes, I think ANY school would trade a league title for a state championship!) and I'm rooting for each and every SEOAL athlete to win a medal at this weekend's state track meet. I'd love to see Warren and Gallipolis win state titles.

I'm proud to say I witnessed one of the best softball games I've ever seen when Gallipolis came to town for the DOC. The Blue Angels and Lady Chiefs played one great game, no matter which team you were rooting for. When it ended I was quite happy for the Lady Chiefs, obviously, but I was also very proud of the Blue Angels as well. They are well-coached and a classy group of young ladies.

And had the game result been switched, I would have been just as happy for the Blue Angels and just as proud of the Lady Chiefs. It was what SEOAL competition is all about, to coin the old cliche.

We all are attached to our schools and athletes and well we should be. But why can't we all just get along and be supportive of everyone in the league (other than, of course, when our teams play each other head-to-head)? We're all in this thing together!!!

Go Chillicothe... Gallipolis... Ironton... Jackson... Logan... Marietta... Portsmouth... Warren... Zanesville... GO SEOAL!!!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Great post! Keeps things in perspective.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

agree

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

good job logan
someone other than marietta gets it finally

noreply66