The Official "Who's Next at Jackson Thread"

buckeyes3645
Waterboy

Re: The Official "Who's Next at Jackson Thread"

Post by buckeyes3645 »

I have coached at three programs where it was said that those teams couldn't compete at a high level. All three of those schools have made the playoffs consistently in the last few years and one won a state title. It takes hard work, dedication, and a belief in the program. It's great that Jackson beat Ironton, but they should. Ironton is D5 and jackson is D2. Jackson's program should be second to none in Southeast Ohio.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Why should Jackson be 2nd to none?

Ironton is D4.

I'm not sure Jackson and it's athletic gifts from the Welsh and Irish are tops in the area of southern Ohio.

Every year Jackson has a boatload of 5'10 180 avg speed guys with avg or slightly better than average athltec skills.....we'll mix in a FEW bigger kids and on an occasion have a big and strong AND athletic kid (ssemingly 1 about every 3 years).....that seems to be the norm of late the years of 7-3 and worse it is even more so it seems.

I think of our finest teams and we have 2 of our fastest players ever with the ball, one of our best skilled/moxy all-around athletes at QB, 2 gigantic and tough defensive players that were as strong as any players we've had and of course the biggest and most ATHLETIC line ever with 2 D1 players mixed in with 2 other very skilled lineman.....mixed in with our typical 5'10 180 players with heart.

I' m not trying to make some lame excuse....but you can only improve so much.

There are hundreds of other intangibles and many of which can be worked on.....but in many cases the our best teams have always been the most genetically gifted.

Jackson has been and likely always will be a football town...but we would probably be more of a baseball town with what we typically have to work with.

If we bring in a coach that plays "Jackson football".....I believe we'll win about 4 games.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

buckeyes3645 wrote:I have coached at three programs where it was said that those teams couldn't compete at a high level. All three of those schools have made the playoffs consistently in the last few years and one won a state title. It takes hard work, dedication, and a belief in the program. It's great that Jackson beat Ironton, but they should. Ironton is D5 and jackson is D2. Jackson's program should be second to none in Southeast Ohio.

First of all, Ironton is D4. But I can't believe that someone who has apparently had a good bit of coaching experience would say that a D2 should always beat a D5. School size is obviously a factor or else there would be no divisions, but the overall program is what matters. For example, schools like Ironton and Wheelersburg have been D4 or D5 for years, but they have consistenly beaten bigger opponents because of the strength of their program. School size, contrary to what many people believe, is not the only factor in a football game. I would think that someone who has coached in places where the program has been doubted might be aware of that.

I agree that Jackson should be one of the best programs in SE Ohio. In fact, they have been over the last 15 years or so. They have been consistent winners for an extended period of time, but absolutely every school goes through some type of "down" period, if that's what you want to call it. Working hard and believing in the program is what makes those down years rare, relying on the overall strength of the program to withstand the test of time. Jackson will be fine.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

buckeyes3645 wrote:You have to develop talent not just wait for it. Some years you will have lesser talent, but that is where coaching, conditioning, and hard work comes in. If you are one of those people that just give up if you don't have the most "talent" then you have no idea what it takes to build a football program.

You also need to build a program where you you can field a complete freshmen, JV, and Varsity squad. There is no reason that a school like Jackson, with the tradition and facilities, should not have 75+ players in their program in grades 9-12. Also, Jackson is in a tough league, but it is nowhere near as tough as many others that D2 programs throughout the state play in. There is no reason that Jackson shouldn't be at the top of the SEOAL. I think that is why somebody new needs to be brought in, somebody that won't use excuses like "the talent level is down". Great coaches build programs and teams, they don't wait around for great players to appear.

Have a victim mentality; become a victim. Have a champion mentality; become a champion.

Buckeyes3645 - I couldn't agree with you more. You hit this nail right on the head. People should quit looking for excuses. ALL great coaches build programs and teams, they don't wait around for great players to appear.

JacksonI
Freshman Team

Post by JacksonI »

Does anyone have any recent ideas of who it may be?

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Is there a chance of this Beckman guy still getting it?

LetItRide
Freshman Team

Post by LetItRide »

I hope it is Coach Phillips. Jackson deserves a good coach like him.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

LetItRide wrote:I hope it is Coach Phillips. Jackson deserves a good coach like him.

Has he applied for the job?

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Don't know if he has applied either. It is killing me not knowing who has actually applied. It also is killing me not knowing the timeline for which they want to hire. All well patience is a virtue!

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

ocho stinko,

I'm the same way. Patience is one area in which I'm severely lacking. Wish I had an idea about what is going on as well.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

There must be someone who knows something out there. I guess we will have to do a better job investigating. John Gruden and Mike Shanahan needs a job. :lol: :lol:

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

They will get a Quality guy Im sure. I think by taking their time is wise,make sure you get the coach you want and get him in there by spring.

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

As the long as the assistants are running the weight room, Jackson can take more time to find the right guy they want for the job. I was told by a gentlemen I work with that is from Jackson that they received 20 applications for the HC job. That in itself would take time to go through, if what I was told is true.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

18 was the exact number...for those who are curious about exact numbers.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:18 was the exact number...for those who are curious about exact numbers.

Thanks for letting us know.

Has the interviewing process already begun?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Yes it has.

buckeyes3645
Waterboy

Post by buckeyes3645 »

Anybody know who has been selected for interviews?

redcoat
Riding the Bench

Post by redcoat »

Shawn Buescher was offered the job and turned it down because he wanted to teach advanced PE. The powers to be wouldn't create this position. Greg Phillips as of last week had not applied for the job. The lastest, is that a couple of boards members are conducting the interviews. Maybe we could talk them into dumping the Asst. Super job or some other position they don't need to create some cash flow and bring Buescher in. He is a good canidate and would fit in well for the Ironmen program.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Buescher would be my #1 choice as well.....but I wouldn't create a job for him.

Haven't they already cut from a full-time assistant super to a part time assistant super. I'm not aware at all of what the assistant super has to do, but I doubt that is the area that gets cut.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

your right the paper did say the asst super is working part time. I think the new super said it saved the school alot of money by doing this. I wouldn't create a job for a coach either. Especially if the school is in as bad financial shape as it is letting on. I would love to know how the process is going. However, if redcoat is accurate with his reporting why on earth would the board be conducting interviews? The super, ad, and principal should be doing that the school board should not be involved at all. Boards are to hire supers and treasurers, the rest of the hiring should be done by the super principal ad's etc.... if the board is involved we are in major trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just read the local papers.

Return to “Football”