Week 5 Wheelersburg 45 Rock Hill 0

drrabbit
All State

Re: Week 5 Wheelersburg 45 Rock Hill 0

Post by drrabbit »

Rock Hill supposely was formed in 1949 from three school districts with a fourth joining them in 1965. The Rock Hill Senior High School was located in Pedro. Wheelersburg played the old Pedro high school in 1939 when Wheelersburg was part of the OVC (a founding member in fact)--Pedro won a close game. But in 1950, Wheelersburg also had 'Pedro' listed on their schedule and lost 34-13. That game should have been with the school that we today call Rock Hill but the Daily Times was probably still calling it by the town. Wheelersburg also lost to 'Pedro' in 1951 but I don't have a score for that game yet. It is the only game report I am missing from 1951 still but I will find it.

The person who put together the list in the Wheelersburg program may or may not have counted any or all of the above listed losses since they were referred to by a different name in the local paper. It would depend on the person's sources, their local knowledge of Rock Hill district and their astuteness.

In the early '80s, I recall the two teams played and several times Rock Hill had some good squads. In the 90's I seem to recall a high scoring game where the last team with a the ball won with about 80-100 points combined scored. I had to work that night and did not attend the game but it was the opening game of the season as I believe.

I don't have the research done from 1952 to 1964. From 1965-2000, I have to rely on memory. Give me a couple of years and I will have the rest looked up for you. Goodness knows the book about 1930-39 seasons is now about 200 pages with about 50 more to add.

Return to “Football”