SOC2 2009

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Re: SOC2 2009

Post by G&B from huddle »

wobycat,
In most cases I would agree that kids that play both ways could get worn down, but if it is a close game I think the kids' adrenaline will kick in and carry them.
Back in 2007 Waverly played Pickerington North who had nobody play on both sides of the ball and Waverly was able to drive down the field late to win I think the final was like 21-16.
If its close I think the adrenaline will kick in and take over.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

most kids for West play both ways. Ironton is only team locally who plays the same physical style. At any time last year did West look like the tired team to me, even in the playoff loss. The only downside may be that we had 2 or 3 key guys with injuries that probably cost West the regional championship. If teams have good offseason workouts, you should be ok.

Now if your play a spread team like Kenton when West played them, that the skill players only play 1 way, that is a major advantage.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

The more kids you have only going one way the better, especially early in the yr when temps can still be pretty warm and also late in the yr after a long season. Irontons kids have really struggled with the heat in week 1 the last several yrs. Adrenaline usually wear's off after the first few series even in the biggest games. Late in the yr if the kid across from you has played half the snaps you have on the yr, your opponent will have a little more late in the game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

more numbers gives a more competitive practice, which makes you better. Playing one way would allow you to focus more on details. A dedicated offense and defense would probably allow you to have a more advanced gameplan because of the increased practice time. Would also allow you time between series for adjustments. First string offense could practice against first string defense.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Burg has a good group of seniors and juniors, they will probably use one or two sophmores. The line should be more improved but will be small, as in height. This is a talented team, the big factor will be the desire to win", that might be their missing link.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

I have to go with Wheelersburg in this league. But I do agree that Minford, West, Waverly, and Valley could all be contenders.

OST
Freshman Team

Post by OST »

IMHO I think Minford and Burg will battle it out just like they did last year but this year it will be for the SOC title. As i read in one of the early post I saw that someone posted that Minford folds everytime they step on the same feild as the Burg? You cant be serious? Minford gave Burg all they wanted and more in both games last year and it could of easily went the other way and every single person that watched that game couldn't of told you different. I went to Minford my last two years of high school an never were we ever taught to fold and honestly I can name only one game in the past two years we did fold and that was waverly 2007. If you want to see "folding against the burg" maybe check out valleys drought of not even scoring nor showing up. That's folding and I'm not bashing anyone from Valley i went there i know how things were but after they went into O.T with The Burg back when Bullock played for valley they just sort of lost alot and last year they did come out an smack burg right in the mouth but you never see people putting them down like people do with Minford. The most used quote on here from alot of posters is "Ah its another one of those years in Muletown/Minford. The boys come out doing good til they hit the W's then they slowly watch there season go down the drain" if that's what you believe then let me tell you and promise that this is the year Minford will shut alot of people up.

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

This much is true, the SOC-II is a great conference year in and year out! The three "Ws" will be in the thick of it along with Minford and even Valley having a say in it before all is said and done. Northwest will be interesting to watch having a year under their belt with Coach Thompson and his staff. Might even see an upset or two before the season is over. No doubt there will be two or three of these teams playing in week #11.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

These teams better get this young West team this year, because loaded will be an understatement next season. Next years team will be have lots of experienced Seniors and maybe the most talented team West has put on the field. They will be worthy D4 title contenders.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

siderman wrote:These teams better get this young West team this year, because loaded will be an understatement next season. Next years team will be have lots of experienced Seniors and maybe the most talented team West has put on the field. They will be worthy D4 title contenders.

That would be Pendleton's senior year correct? Yes I agree the senators will be a very tough ball club that year, and possibly a D4 contender.

As for next year I believe it is a 3 horse race, with Waverly and Valley maybe getting an upset or two. The 3 horses of course being Minford, West, and Burg.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

Burg may again be the word, did I say that? Burg will be nice and West despite losing some studs will be tough.

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

1.Portsmouth West
1.Minford
2.Wheelersburg
3.Waverly
5.Valley
6.NW

West over Minford at West
Minford over Burg at Minford
Burg over West at Burg :122247

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Runner00 wrote:1.Portsmouth West
1.Minford
2.Wheelersburg
3.Waverly
5.Valley
6.NW

With that prediction it would be a three-way tie, I have feeling that could be the case this year...however I would rather see West lose to Minford than to Burg :122249

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Runner00 wrote:1.Portsmouth West
1.Minford
2.Wheelersburg
3.Waverly
5.Valley
6.NW

Valley beat Waverly last year 47-7. Valley has a LOT coming back, dont see Waverly finishing in front of them.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Been getting the football fever, so I watched a few West games lately. The more I watched, the better I felt about their chances this year. Murphy hasn't got enough credit locally for how good he is and everyone knows about Pendelton. Except for Sparks, last years offensive line was basically undersized, and every game I watched they dominated the trenches. This years line will be bigger and much stronger with Newman and Cooper. The Burg game gave me the most smiles. Unless they get alot stronger up front, especially at the Defensive ends, I just don't see them beating West. West really manhandled them up front.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

There are alot of solid teams in the SOC 2 this season. Very well could be a share of the title.

- Burg. They have the skilled positions and speed. Question mark once again is their size and the line play. If they are small like last season, they must find a more balanced offense attack.

- Minford. Should be another solid year for the Falcons. Experience QB in Osech with 3 yrs of experience under his belt. IMO, he is the best passer in the league. Speed in the backfield as well.

- Valley. Much improved again this season and will return alot of speed/skill positions. The Indians could make a play at the title.

- Waverly. Should be another solid team as well returning alot of talent and athletism. Roback can be a game changer.

- West. One would think this team would be down from last season loss of the large senior class, but don't count out the Senators. Pendelton and Murphy should be a force. We will see how far this program has come to regaining the past West football tradition.

- Northwest. Still a couple years away from potentially competing in this league with an impressive jr high team last season. If they stay together, NW might just make a run at the title in a couple years.

Faclons Forever
Freshman Team

Post by Faclons Forever »

FALCONS all the way! It should be a very close conference though.. The only team I would count out would be NW, but even they've been talking up a big season next year. We just have to see if they can back it up...

Indian till death
Waterboy

Post by Indian till death »

Faclons Forever wrote:FALCONS all the way! It should be a very close conference though.. The only team I would count out would be NW, but even they've been talking up a big season next year. We just have to see if they can back it up...

I agree faclons, Northwest sadly won't make any noise in the conference despite the well known local hype and excitement, and the FaLcons shall be a formidable opponent, but I truly believe valley will come out on top this year. We didn't lose many players, but don't get me wrong. Evans was a big part of our team. We still have a large sophmore class and some great junior lineman and backs such as Shultz and Crabtree, not to mention Utley is returning for another season as a starter. I believe only good comes from returning so many long time starters. The team is finally mature and I'm looking forward to a great season out of my Indians.

1. Valley
2. Burg
3. West
4. Minford
5. Waverly
6. Whoever wants it
7. Northwest

It sure is going to be a long and competitive season...

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

BULDOG wrote:There are alot of solid teams in the SOC 2 this season. Very well could be a share of the title.

- Burg. They have the skilled positions and speed. Question mark once again is their size and the line play. If they are small like last season, they must find a more balanced offense attack.

- Minford. Should be another solid year for the Falcons. Experience QB in Osech with 3 yrs of experience under his belt. IMO, he is the best passer in the league. Speed in the backfield as well.

- Valley. Much improved again this season and will return alot of speed/skill positions. The Indians could make a play at the title.

- Waverly. Should be another solid team as well returning alot of talent and athletism. Roback can be a game changer.

- West. One would think this team would be down from last season loss of the large senior class, but don't count out the Senators. Pendelton and Murphy should be a force. We will see how far this program has come to regaining the past West football tradition.

- Northwest. Still a couple years away from potentially competing in this league with an impressive jr high team last season. If they stay together, NW might just make a run at the title in a couple years.

Osech will be a senior this coming year??

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

CANNIBAL wrote:
Osech will be a senior this coming year??

Yes and there should be 8-9 senior starters on offense as 10 of 11 offensive starters are returning from last year's team.

Return to “Football”