Ironton @ Coal Grove in Jamboree game

queenofhearts
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton @ Coal Grove in Jamboree game

Post by queenofhearts »

Lets remember this a just a scrimmage game. Let's hope no player from either team goes down with a injury before the season actaully starts.. But i must say.. GO Tigers!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I know it is just a scrimmage, but CalPreps has Coal Grove winning a close game in a theoretical matchup between these 2 teams

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I don't put much stock in CalPreps, but I will say again that CG wouldn't get blown out.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

How's Coal Groves line this year?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Should be considerably better than last year.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

Ironton pretty much had their way, after the first series for both teams. But that does not reflect the true talent on both these teams, as a scrimmage is a measuring stick to see how far you've come and how far you have to go, in preparing for the season.

Improvements will be made by both ball clubs, in preparing for the opener.

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

Post by Frogtownbuckeye »

fuzzhead wrote:I don't put much stock in CalPreps, but I will say again that CG wouldn't get blown out.

Good call

juke boxer
JV Team

Post by juke boxer »

Bleeding Red wrote:The Ironton faithful will see what a RB Delawder is when they watch the scrimmage. He is probably the biggest, strongest and meanest RB you will be on the field with this year.

Unless ol Coach Lutz secretly ties Delawder's shoe strings together, he should put on a 5 yard a carry clinic. :122249

I could care less who has their way in this matchup,I dont have a dog in the fight, but I can tell you with 100% confidence, this Coal Grove team wont be a pushover this year. Not for Ironton, not for anyone.
:122246 :122246 :122246 Coal Grove will be hard to stop in the OVC, and Delawder will run well in the league. I think Ironton's offensive and defensive lines were a little to much at this point of the year. How about Tres Wilkes run. Highlight material. But, the Tigers have a lot of work ahead to compete with the teams on their schedule. Good Luck to both teams!!

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

was that the wilkes kids that jumped over a defender? and what grade is he in.WOW!!!!!

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

juke boxer wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:The Ironton faithful will see what a RB Delawder is when they watch the scrimmage. He is probably the biggest, strongest and meanest RB you will be on the field with this year.

Unless ol Coach Lutz secretly ties Delawder's shoe strings together, he should put on a 5 yard a carry clinic. :122249

I could care less who has their way in this matchup,I dont have a dog in the fight, but I can tell you with 100% confidence, this Coal Grove team wont be a pushover this year. Not for Ironton, not for anyone.
:122246 :122246 :122246 Coal Grove will be hard to stop in the OVC, and Delawder will run well in the league. I think Ironton's offensive and defensive lines were a little to much at this point of the year. How about Tres Wilkes run. Highlight material. But, the Tigers have a lot of work ahead to compete with the teams on their schedule. Good Luck to both teams!!

You are certainly right, Ironton's lines were way too much. I've heard for some time "Coal Grove and South Point could go toe to toe with Ironton year in and year out" if Ironton were to join the OVC. We see again tonight why there is no comparison. Coal Grove should be the cream of the crop in the OVC this year, but this playing toe to toe with Ironton talk can stop again at least until the dreamers start back up next year.

littlehornetsfan1214
JV Team

Post by littlehornetsfan1214 »

where was wetzel tonight?

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I read where it was 28-0 Ironton....????????

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

I believe Wetzel was wearing #40.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

It was 35-6 when I left.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Frogtownbuckeye wrote:I believe Wetzel was wearing #40.

Wetzel was #40 and scored 2 TD's

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

philthyphil wrote:It was 35-6 when I left.

Ironton 1st string........28
Coal Grove 1st string....0

Ironton 2nd string.........7
Coal Grove 2nd string...0

Coal Grove 3rd string....6
Ironton 3rd string..........0

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

juke boxer wrote:

That was a good run, but what was the highlight, the run or the fact he was caught from behind. :122245

But in all seriousness both teams did show a lot of weaknesses, Coal Grove really needs to work on timing in the passing game as well as blocking, if you are going to throw the ball up then one you need to make sure your quarterback has time and two you quarterback has to be able to hit the receivers, I don't think Ironton's pass defense was that good, they just met a team trying to put in a passing game with everything else they do. I though our running game was good, not great but looked like it should this time of year, Irontons run offense was a little better, if the Grove backs could take anything from Ironton it would be keep your feet moving after the first hit, thats where Ironton was getting there yards, after the first hit, which brings me to the our tackling, which needs a little work. All in all I think both teams have a lot to work on before the first game of the season for each, because in all personal opinion Ironton and Coal Grove will lose week one if they played like they did last night.

Frogtownbuckeye
Freshman Team

If I'm not mistaken Wilkes was not caught from behind....he scored after leaping the CG defender ala Beanie Wells.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove's kids are learning new stuff and trying to get it down. . . hopefully it clicks before week 1.
Biggest problem I saw was with the line and the fact that Ironton was in much better shape.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Here's a list of my concerns about Coal Grove's upcoming season. I listed these on another thread. Ironton and Coal Grove fans, how do you feel CG did in these categories? Please don't be disrespectful and leave the coaches/players' names out of the smear game - I'm just wondering how everyone feels after the big scrimmage, going into the season.

1. I'm hoping the alterations aren't so different that the players will have trouble getting them down. IMO, they don't need to pass 20 times a game, it just needs to be a viable and realistic option.

2. I'm hoping that the O-line is going to be better than it was last year in all facets.

3. As always, defensive backfield play.

Just missing the list are: (a) attitude problems/disipline issues and (b) stamina/endurance - this one has always irked me.

In you guys' opinion, how did they fare in these categories:

1. Adjusting to changes (if you feel there were any) to their offensive style.

2. O-line play.

3. Defense (especially the secondary).

4. Attitude/disipline.

5. Stamina/endurance.

Return to “Football”