Week 3 Warren @ Athens

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Week 3 Warren @ Athens

Post by Steely Dan »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Warren - Honestly, your bright spot? Your QB. Best HS QB I've seen in over 20 years.

Really? No disrespect to this kid but you must not have seen Angle or Conrad from Logan, Gregory from Athens, Johnson from Gallia,or Humphries from Jackson, in my opinion all of them were better than this kid and they all played in the last 10 years. He does throw a good ball on short and intermediate routs but the deep ball needs work and he tends to throw a little behind the receiver alot (that's what caused both tip ball INT's). Warren gave the kid excellent protection during the game allowing him to sit back and wait for coverage to break down and to his credit he took advantage of it. The young man is better than average but has some work to do to be in the discussion with the players above in my opinion. Let's hope he progresses nicely and makes that happen.
I knew my comment would provoke a response. It is called an opinion, and A-town, you have yours as well, which I respect. Out of that group, Johnson was the only one that I saw play live. He was good, but I did not see him throw deep balls with the accuracy that this kid did last night. He's got two more years to prove he's better, we will see.

As for Fivecoate not having a good game, I guess that I'd take a high school kid who had 11 catches for 150 yards in one game on my team anytime. Yes, he had a couple of drops, but so did a couple of other receivers for the Warriors.......

I was remiss on a couple points last night. Henthorn was fantastic on the defensive side of the ball for Warren. Him not in the line up, Athens would have literally, "run away" with this game. Germano for Athens, he's a tough nut on D as well. I enjoyed watching him play, too.

Great game. Fans for both schools should be proud of their boys. Quite a fight last night.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Last nights game put me to sleep in the first half and put me on my feet the entire 4th quarter. Is Warren ever going to play an entire game? The first 3 quarters by the Warriors was pathetic sorry to say. Warren was inside the 5 yard line 3 times in the first half and scored once. There was the first chance to get a comfortable margin early and it was spoiled by dropped passes and poor play calling. Does anyone want to speculate how many dropped passes last night? Leffingwell was 50% passing last night for 350 yards, I'm guessing another 10-15 passes that should have been pulled in, some of which in very critical field positions. If Warren catches a few of these this game doesnt need to go to OT.

I give the little Leffingwell boy an applaude. Why?? Third quarter he threw 2 quick interceptions that swung the momentum to Athens. He could have lost all of his confidence and gave up like so many young football players do, but no. Little Leff. put together 2 quick scoring drives in 9 minutes to send this game to OT. Folks this kid is a sophmore, he will be one of the best to come out of this area in a long time. There didnt seem to be a pass that he couldn't make last night long or short which accuracy. A-town I have no idea what you were looking at but this little sophmore took over the 4th quarter of this game and OT.

The defense didn't look bad in the first half, but they came out uninspired in the third quarter. The coaching staff finally made an adjustment in the 4th quarter and the large chunks of yardage by Athens started to go away. Why wasn't this adjustment recongized and implemented earlier?

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Steely Dan wrote:Great game. Fans for both schools should be proud of their boys. Quite a fight last night.
Absolutely. Very proud of the young men in green and gold. This team is getting better every week, and although it is never fun to lose games, I have a feeling they are going to be glad these tough first few games were on the schedule.

I'll say the same thing I said immediately after the Gallia game, "I think we're going to be just fine," and I do think this team is much better than a lot of people realize.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

AND I want to thank all the young men last night for putting on one *** of a show. Athens you have a great team and will win most if not all of your remaining games, very underrated team.

WarriorMom
Waterboy

Post by WarriorMom »

diamondD1 wrote:
Steely Dan wrote:Great game. Fans for both schools should be proud of their boys. Quite a fight last night.
Absolutely. Very proud of the young men in green and gold. This team is getting better every week, and although it is never fun to lose games, I have a feeling they are going to be glad these tough first few games were on the schedule.

I'll say the same thing I said immediately after the Gallia game, "I think we're going to be just fine," and I do think this team is much better than a lot of people realize.
I completely agree, I work in Athens and I was haven’t to defend your team yesterday. I explained that just because you were 0-2 didn’t mean you were not a good team. I expected nothing less then what happened last night. A battle from the 1st kick off to the last play of the game. Athens wins will come, and I do believe you will be a threat in the TVC. Hang in there bulldog fans and support your team, they deserve it.

I was glad to see the Warren Defense improve last night, but I also wondered why it took so long to make the adjustments in the 3rd quarter. Last night game was a thrill ride, I was on my feet most of the night and can’t even talk today. I know there is a lot of talk about the QB, I personally think he is one of the best I have seen as well. If he hadn’t had so many dropped passes he would have had 400-500 yards passing last night. One more behind us Warriors now it’s time to get ready for Portsmouth. That will be another tough game, especially with the drive. Let’s go get them Warriors!

walley777
Waterboy

Post by walley777 »

I did not mean to take away from Fivecoats athleticism but I stand by the fact that this was not his best game. The passes he dropped were right to him unlike at least a couple of the other receivers where the ball was thrown a bit behind. Don't get me wrong I know some other receivers flat missed also. I think the strongest players of this game were Henthorn, Venham, and Leffingwell. Leffingwell may have thrown a few a bit behind but what a night! Even the pro-boys throw a few off! We'll want this kid's autograph someday! Mark my words!

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

Wow. This is not a contest against the receivers! These kids are on the same team. Warren has several exceptional receivers to choose from. That's the beauty of it. When one is covered there are several other sets of very capable hands waiting! So let's not make it a contest! Yes, Fivecoat dropped a few but he caught a ton! Maybe the old saying fits here "If you can't say something nice then just keep your mouth shut" I happen to be the mother of one of the "other receivers" as they are being called. He had several excellent catches and yes he dropped two. One was behind him (he can usually snatch these anyway but wasn't meant to be tonight) and one he just took his eyes off the ball (very unusual for him). He hasn't been catching the ball as often as he was running it before tonight. Hopefully he'll be ready to snatch them all next Friday. I'm not on here to make excuses for my kid. I just think sometimes these forums bring kids down. If I feel disheartened reading some of the comments I can only imagine how they feel. This is a team. Not a contest against members of the team. I am looking forward to a great season ahead. We have some issues to work through and some that we have already dealt with effectively. And a word on Dylan Leffingwell... another awesome amazing night! This kid works his tail off... even in the off season while some enjoy the couch. He's attending trainings and getting into the wait room. It's sure paying off! Grant Venham perfect timing on that interception! Changed the feel of the whole game. And Austin Henthorn puts his whole heart into every game and that's what it takes to build a team. My son came home saying that the team this year has way more heart than last year. Thank you Andy Schob for helping instill that in them!
Last edited by ttfn on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

footballmom
Waterboy

Post by footballmom »

I don't think that the Warren line gets enough credit in order for these amazing catches and throws to come through. I saw Hendrix break through the line putting pressure on the QB and tipped the ball that Venham intercepted. I saw the line protecting their QB in the pocket giving him time to throw those amazing passes. I saw a team on the field not just individuals.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Excellent Post Mom. You are a team player too. Good luck to both Teams as they play the rest of the year.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

To comment of the post about the best QB in 20 yrs--
I agree that Gregory, Johnson, Humph & Conrad were 4 of the best QB's around...
They also played much stiffer opponents and all played in the SEOAL when it was as Balanced from Top to Bottom that I had seen in many, many years...

To the Steely--
You're also right, give this kid some time, he is young and and can very well join the above 4 in time.

About the Game --
Best High School game I have witness since the Athens @ Jackson game of 2003 or the Logan @ Athens game of 2003.

Absolutely everyone in The Plains got their moneys worth for that one!
Give credit to both programs, both Warren and Athens deserved to win the game with effort alone...unfortunately only one could come out on top...

Warren is a good (3-0) team, and will Win many more games this season...
Athens is the best (0-3) team in Southeastern Ohio, and should finally get into the Win Column next week after 3 hard fought battles...

Good Luck to All TVC Teams the rest of the way and Good Luck to Warren, after a great game last night!

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

FootballMom... I totally agree! We were talking about Hendrix on our way home from the game. He was awesome last night. Without the line there is no passing and there are no holes to run through! Isn't it a nice problem to have.... so many kids did so well it's hard to comment about them all!! It's all about team! It has to be or we go nowhere! Go Big Blue!

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Time for a quarterback change.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Athens78--really?

Trey Harris was not the reason Athens lost Friday Night...

You got to put the game away with a 14 point lead, that falls on the entire Offense, not just one player...

Our D had some opportunities to put the game away, one play being a ball slipping through the hands of Mitch Rider who gave his entire heart and then some Friday Night, but that's football...and the truth of it was we battled back and took the lead, saw it slip away late, and a couple of bad breaks/calls found us down again in OT...

If you were at the game Friday, and saw the ball Trey threw to the corner of the endzone in Overtime that would have tied the game, it was as perfect of a thrown ball that could have been tossed and it simply just fell through out ball players hands...there is not another QB on our roster that could have stepped up in that situation and delivered that ball in the corner...

I played for Coach Adams when he was our RB/DB Coach and D-Coordinator and the one thing he instilled in us was 'We' win as a 'Team' and 'Lose' as a 'Team'...

To come on here and put the fault on one player is not something an 'Adult' like yourself should do...

Athens keep your heads up, you played an excellent game and are improving each and every week...
Some people on here have some short memory spans...like last year when Harris lead the Bulldogs to a League Championship...

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Steely Dan wrote:
A-Town Big Dog wrote:Warren - Honestly, your bright spot? Your QB. Best HS QB I've seen in over 20 years.

Really? No disrespect to this kid but you must not have seen Angle or Conrad from Logan, Gregory from Athens, Johnson from Gallia,or Humphries from Jackson, in my opinion all of them were better than this kid and they all played in the last 10 years. He does throw a good ball on short and intermediate routs but the deep ball needs work and he tends to throw a little behind the receiver alot (that's what caused both tip ball INT's). Warren gave the kid excellent protection during the game allowing him to sit back and wait for coverage to break down and to his credit he took advantage of it. The young man is better than average but has some work to do to be in the discussion with the players above in my opinion. Let's hope he progresses nicely and makes that happen.
I knew my comment would provoke a response. It is called an opinion, and A-town, you have yours as well, which I respect. Out of that group, Johnson was the only one that I saw play live. He was good, but I did not see him throw deep balls with the accuracy that this kid did last night. He's got two more years to prove he's better, we will see.

As for Fivecoate not having a good game, I guess that I'd take a high school kid who had 11 catches for 150 yards in one game on my team anytime. Yes, he had a couple of drops, but so did a couple of other receivers for the Warriors.......

I was remiss on a couple points last night. Henthorn was fantastic on the defensive side of the ball for Warren. Him not in the line up, Athens would have literally, "run away" with this game. Germano for Athens, he's a tough nut on D as well. I enjoyed watching him play, too.

Great game. Fans for both schools should be proud of their boys. Quite a fight last night.
I understand that it was your opinion Steely, and understand the kid is young. As I said I hope he continues to make strides and improve because the kid has the potential to be an excellent quarterback. I love wathcing excellent talent play no matter what team they play for, I'm just saying that the kid isn't currently on the level with some of the top quarterbacks I've seen even in the last 10 years. I truly hope he is able to grow and improve because you can see flashes of excellence that could grow into next level talent.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

[quote="Cap'n Scoop"]Great heart by both teams. Athens has some great skill players and controlled the line of scrimmage. But Warren gave Leffingwell lots of time to throw the ball, and for a sophomore, the kid is really good. I saw him hit a couple "deep" passes so I'm not sure what A-Town is talking about there.

You guys are assuming that I am making these comments in a mean or angry way and nothing could be further from the truth, I'm just making observations of what I saw. I never said he didn't complete any deep balls, I said he needs a little work on throwing a deep ball. While he was able to connect on a couple of deep passes, there were several times the Warren receivers had easily cleared the Bulldog corners and the ball either wasn't on time or wasn't on target. The young man is only a sophomore so game experience and repetition will help with his abilities in time and if my math is correct he has at least 27 more games at the high school level so I'm sure he'll figure it all out. Also I don't know how old the players on the Warren O-Line are but that group deserves alot or credit for the passing game success, I can only think of two or maybe three time that Athens was able to get pressure on the QB. If the line and the QB are gonna be around for another year or two this team could get really good.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

Great game by the bulldogs, 189 yds rushing by Sharp and a great 70 punt return for a TD. Good job by the line you guys put it out there. Once again your head coach took that game out of your hands, avg. close to nine yds a carry with 3 min plus remaining you choose to pass. It souunds so familiar (Nelsonville, Coal grove last week, And Nelsonville two yrs ago). I am saying what a lot of athens fans and those who know about football are afraid to say and that is Coach Adams folds under pressure. How do you throw when you have a lead and you are in there territory with 3 min to go. Those kids put it all out there on that field so congrats on a great effort.

WarriorMom
Waterboy

Post by WarriorMom »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:
Cap'n Scoop wrote:Great heart by both teams. Athens has some great skill players and controlled the line of scrimmage. But Warren gave Leffingwell lots of time to throw the ball, and for a sophomore, the kid is really good. I saw him hit a couple "deep" passes so I'm not sure what A-Town is talking about there.

You guys are assuming that I am making these comments in a mean or angry way and nothing could be further from the truth, I'm just making observations of what I saw. I never said he didn't complete any deep balls, I said he needs a little work on throwing a deep ball. While he was able to connect on a couple of deep passes, there were several times the Warren receivers had easily cleared the Bulldog corners and the ball either wasn't on time or wasn't on target. The young man is only a sophomore so game experience and repetition will help with his abilities in time and if my math is correct he has at least 27 more games at the high school level so I'm sure he'll figure it all out. Also I don't know how old the players on the Warren O-Line are but that group deserves alot or credit for the passing game success, I can only think of two or maybe three time that Athens was able to get pressure on the QB. If the line and the QB are gonna be around for another year or two this team could get really good.

A Town Big Dog, four of the five offensive line for Warren are Seniors this year. Timberman, Hendrix, Greathouse (all 3 year varsity starters) & Tenney are Seniors. They also have Buck who is a Jr. Warren will have to replace most of their line next year, but they do have the players and talent to do so. They have done a good job this year pass blocking for the QB. Dustin had some problems last week with some of the snaps because your nose tackle was so fast. I actually snapped a picture where our center and your nose tackle were hitting each other upright before the offense or defense line had moved. I gave a copy to your O-line coach and posted it on the Warren Warrior face book page. There is a bunch (hundreds) of really good pictures from the varsity & JV games if anyone is interested in looking at them on the Warren Warriors Football Pride face book page.

Return to “Football”