Region 27

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: Region 27

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:46 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 pm
icanpickem wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 pm

If NC had wins against racine southern, beallsville, Bridgeport and Cameron, WV would that justify their 5 seed?
They would be 5 in Harbin points when vote happened
I usually agree with greygoose but he’s completely wrong on this, LMAO.
That's ok to disagree with me, it's no big deal the facts are right there. They were a #12 point team without any significant win, even though Friday's game didn't count towards the seeding let's look at their body of work. They're a 3-3 team with wins against teams that have a combined record of 3-15, Maybe they win the region or make a deep run, but the numbers simply don't justify the #5 seed. Sorry man.
The coaches who actually watch football, and know the Region inside and out from coaching in region for 10+ years, were correct in seeding NC how they did. Phil Faires from Trimble, voted them #2; Luke Thimmes at FC, voted them #2; Mark Holenka at Shadyside, voted them #1; the coach from Reedsville Eastern, voted them #2; Tony Hurps at Berne Union voted them #3. They also had two second-place votes from Strasburg and Conotton Valley. Mike Flannery from River voted them #2, and Toronto’s coach voted them #1.

Two first place votes and six second place votes for NC. From coaches who know exactly what NC is and the caliber of their schedule.

And yet their votes summed to #5 seed because a couple coaches intentionally low-balled them and another coach just did the coward move by ranking them #16.
I get you're a Newark guy and I like I said no knock on them at all.

Try again.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 pm

I usually agree with greygoose but he’s completely wrong on this, LMAO.
That's ok to disagree with me, it's no big deal the facts are right there. They were a #12 point team without any significant win, even though Friday's game didn't count towards the seeding let's look at their body of work. They're a 3-3 team with wins against teams that have a combined record of 3-15, Maybe they win the region or make a deep run, but the numbers simply don't justify the #5 seed. Sorry man.
The coaches who actually watch football, and know the Region inside and out from coaching in region for 10+ years, were correct in seeding NC how they did. Phil Faires from Trimble, voted them #2; Luke Thimmes at FC, voted them #2; Mark Holenka at Shadyside, voted them #1; the coach from Reedsville Eastern, voted them #2; Tony Hurps at Berne Union voted them #3. They also had two second-place votes from Strasburg and Conotton Valley. Mike Flannery from River voted them #2, and Toronto’s coach voted them #1.

Two first place votes and six second place votes for NC. From coaches who know exactly what NC is and the caliber of their schedule.

Try again.
You're exactly right they got votes from guys with 10+ years coaching inside a region that know all about Newark's past traditions. So those coaches knowing that caliber of a schedule seen a team with wins against teams a combine 3-15 and they just realized how tough it was to get those 3 wins?? Come on, you can argue till you're blue in the face the ranking was based off their past. Nothing wrong with it they've got a great football tradition but that's where they rank comes from. Caldwell took the 6 seed with wins against teams that were a combined 16-8 and took a 1 score loss to a 4-2 Shenandoah team and a 26-0 loss to a REALLY good Fort Frye team.

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

Post by BeastOfTheSoutheast »

In my opinion, East Knox is the most underrated team in this region. They are flat out dangerous and everyone is overlooking them.

Statistics Are Like Bikinis...They Show A Lot, But Not Everything.
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 pm

Try again.
You're exactly right they got votes from guys with 10+ years coaching inside a region that know all about Newark's past traditions. So those coaches knowing that caliber of a schedule seen a team with wins against teams a combine 3-15 and they just realized how tough it was to get those 3 wins?? Come on, you can argue till you're blue in the face the ranking was based off their past. Nothing wrong with it they've got a great football tradition but that's where they rank comes from. Caldwell took the 6 seed with wins against teams that were a combined 16-8 and took a 1 score loss to a 4-2 Shenandoah team and a 26-0 loss to a REALLY good Fort Frye team.
Or they understand the Eastern Pike’s, Berne Union’s, Frontier’s, and Conotton Valley’s of Region 27 - all ahead of NC points wise - would get ran straight out on a rail against any one of Johnstown, Heath and L Heights; hence why NC is the only team in the region that plays the caliber schedule that they do!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

BeastOfTheSoutheast wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 pm In my opinion, East Knox is the most underrated team in this region. They are flat out dangerous and everyone is overlooking them.
Big agree.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

BeastOfTheSoutheast wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:12 pm In my opinion, East Knox is the most underrated team in this region. They are flat out dangerous and everyone is overlooking them.
Yeah they are one of the teams I can see winning this region.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

From watching a few of their games this year seems they lost a lot from last years team but they seem to have picked up right where they left off from last years deep playoff run i said in a post on another topic they would be tough

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:04 pm

Try again.
Or they understand the Eastern Pike’s, Berne Union’s, Frontier’s, and Conotton Valley’s of Region 27 - all ahead of NC points wise - would get ran straight out on a rail against any one of Johnstown, Heath and L Heights; hence why NC is the only team in the region that plays the caliber schedule that they do!
Now, I totally agree with you there and I'm not saying Newark should've stayed at 12 either. Just like the teams you mentioned I think Newark could've easily been justified as a 7-9 seed pretty easily. I don't believe they should've been placed above Caldwell just based on body of work, even placing them above Shadyside who had a tougher schedule is questionable.

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm
From watching a few of their games this year seems they lost a lot from last years team but they seem to have picked up right where they left off from last years deep playoff run i said in a post on another topic they would be tough
I agree with that. A lot like Trimble. Lost a lot of solid kids, but somehow managed to pickup right where they left off and it’s like they haven’t missed a beat. This region could get wild. I can’t wait! Just hope they start letting some fans come in or at least start live-streaming all playoff games.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

BeastOfTheSoutheast wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:24 pm
I agree with that. A lot like Trimble. Lost a lot of solid kids, but somehow managed to pickup right where they left off and it’s like they haven’t missed a beat. This region could get wild. I can’t wait! Just hope they start letting some fans come in or at least start live-streaming all playoff games.
Have a feeling they will probably stream them for a small fee lol

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I know with them going to 12 teams next year a lot of people were on the fence and a lot were knocking it. I have to say though it seems like this year has made a playoffs a bit more entertaining though. Spoke with a guy last night who thought this was great said they should go to a 7 game schedule and continue on this way.

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

MrFirstTake wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm
BeastOfTheSoutheast wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Have a feeling they will probably stream them for a small fee lol
I know that’s right. You know they ain’t missing out on any money. Haha. But hey, desperate times call for desperate measures, I’ll fork out the money to watch this region pan out!!

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Id pay to watch any game this season has been my favorite so many games to watch its been nice

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm I know with them going to 12 teams next year a lot of people were on the fence and a lot were knocking it. I have to say though it seems like this year has made a playoffs a bit more entertaining though. Spoke with a guy last night who thought this was great said they should go to a 7 game schedule and continue on this way.
I don’t like the whole 7 game schedule idea just because you run into what the TVC Ohio is running into which is crowing a conference champion. Yes, I understand that you can get your conference games in that schedule (for the normal conference) but that don’t leave much room to fit your rival games in the regular season (Trimble VS Nelsonville) other than that, 12 seed playoffs would make it interesting!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Now, I totally agree with you there and I'm not saying Newark should've stayed at 12 either. Just like the teams you mentioned I think Newark could've easily been justified as a 7-9 seed pretty easily. I don't believe they should've been placed above Caldwell just based on body of work, even placing them above Shadyside who had a tougher schedule is questionable.
I'm glad we're starting to reach some agreement.

Forgive me, but I feel a need to get this said: I'm impassioned toward advocating for NC to be seeded highly because having watched the former region 23 (now region 27), it is clear that the region is the difference of good programs beating good teams 9/10 and that it has always been that way.

When I look at Region 27, there are four-to-five really good perennial programs: Trimble, Newark Catholic, Shadyside, Waterford and Danville. I'm not including East Knox only because this is their first year of playing in Division 7 (and they had always played in Division 5 I believe in the six-division format.) A case could be made for River, I suppose. But that's it. And even in years where those five might not have the best team in school history, they just plaster the teams they meet in weeks 11 and 12 from programs that frankly don't have much in the way of a consistently good program. It's not necessarily a product of the team getting blasted being "bad" or their entry a result of a "watering down" of 6 divisions to 7 (it happened all the time in the six division set-up as well): it's just the direct result of a successful program fomenting years of experience under good coaching and against strong competition that ultimately is the 'X' factor against a team that happened to string together a good season. That's why I just don't put much stock into the wins accrued against the bottom-feeders of D7 football as being a more impressive body of work than what an NC has -- the schedules are just light years away and there is a great difference in the depth + experience between a Conotton Valley or Frontier compared to an NC. If you think Caldwell is more deserving of a higher seed than NC - OK sure, fine. That's at least halfway sensible, even though I disagree personally.

What gets me though is if we ever find ourselves having to vote teams in and not let the Harbins factor it out, again, then what's even the point of NC playing their schedule if enough coaches just decide to not even take it into any consideration? Or if they get edged out at the 8/9 spot and miss, when Drew Pasteur says they have the #5th toughest schedule in D7 or whatever and the team that inched them out in the computers had the 83rd toughest schedule? Since 2013, the first year of the 7th division, only one school in this region has played Newark Catholic in the regular season. And that school no longer plays them simply because the two programs are going in divergent directions (although I hope they play NC again soon!) Paint Valley also played them a year that they were D7, but PV is now D6 and a different region. Ask NC's athletic director how hard it is to get teams to schedule them. The only school in Region 27 I think that would be willing to schedule Newark Catholic in the regular season is Trimble (since they scheduled Lucas for this year but it got canned.) Maybe also Danville. But that's it. No one wants to schedule games they might lose.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:44 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 pm

I'm glad we're starting to reach some agreement.

Forgive me, but I feel a need to get this said: I'm impassioned toward advocating for NC to be seeded highly because having watched the former region 23 (now region 27), it is clear that the region is the difference of good programs beating good teams 9/10 and that it has always been that way.

When I look at Region 27, there are four-to-five really good perennial programs: Trimble, Newark Catholic, Shadyside, Waterford and Danville. I'm not including East Knox only because this is their first year of playing in Division 7 (and they had always played in Division 5 I believe in the six-division format.) A case could be made for River, I suppose. But that's it. And even in years where those five might not have the best team in school history, they just plaster the teams they meet in weeks 11 and 12 from programs that frankly don't have much in the way of a consistently good program. It's not necessarily a product of the team getting blasted being "bad" or their entry a result of a "watering down" of 6 divisions to 7 (it happened all the time in the six division set-up as well): it's just the direct result of a successful program fomenting years of experience under good coaching and against strong competition that ultimately is the 'X' factor against a team that happened to string together a good season. That's why I just don't put much stock into the wins accrued against the bottom-feeders of D7 football as being a more impressive body of work than what an NC has -- the schedules are just light years away and there is a great difference in the depth + experience between a Conotton Valley or Frontier compared to an NC. If you think Caldwell is more deserving of a higher seed than NC - OK sure, fine. That's at least halfway sensible, even though I disagree personally.

What gets me though is if we ever find ourselves having to vote teams in and not let the Harbins factor it out, again, then what's even the point of NC playing their schedule if enough coaches just decide to not even take it into any consideration? Or if they get edged out at the 8/9 spot and miss, when Drew Pasteur says they have the #5th toughest schedule in D7 or whatever and the team that inched them out in the computers had the 83rd toughest schedule? Since 2013, the first year of the 7th division, only one school in this region has played Newark Catholic in the regular season. And that school no longer plays them simply because the two programs are going in divergent directions (although I hope they play NC again soon!) Paint Valley also played them a year that they were D7, but PV is now D6 and a different region. Ask NC's athletic director how hard it is to get teams to schedule them. The only school in Region 27 I think that would be willing to schedule Newark Catholic in the regular season is Trimble (since they scheduled Lucas for this year but it got canned.) Maybe also Danville. But that's it. No one wants to schedule games they might lose.
I somewhat agree with what you're saying and I'm sure for NC it is difficult to get certain teams to play. My sole basis for this years vote was I felt they were up there based on past traditions and I think you have to agree to some extent that is the case. Like I said I think Caldwell and Shadyside probably could've gone 5/6 and NC slid in at 7. Given what this region has I'm sure one of the teams you listed, Trimble, Shadyside, Waterford, Danville, East Knox, and possibly NC win this region. My argument was just going into I just didn't see that signature win that I felt should've propelled them up to #5. I mean Shadyside jumped a long ways as well but when you look at that schedule those dudes played tough teams all year with the exception of 1 week in there. I also took into consideration that NC played both Johnstown-Monroe and Heath last year beating both teams, Johnnies by 21-10 and Heath 41-16 and that's a huge turn around for what happened this year considering NC lost to both teams. That's a big point swing from one year to the next and the 2019 NC schedule featured 5 teams with winning records and 4 that made the playoffs much tougher and better prepared to make the deep run like they did. This is just that anomaly year where things are all messed up in terms of rankings and how things unfolded. I mean if they went solely off points this year for teams look at how things would've worked out for a team like Shadyside, Waterford and NC doesn't even get a shot at the playoffs and that would've been a terrible scenario.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Can’t argue with that. Well-said.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:15 pm
Big agree.
Been saying this I think they are the favorite over Trimble.

BeastOfTheSoutheast
JV Team

Just for fun since I seen on another thread that CalPreps is batting like 85% this year on predictions.

Tomcats - 26
East Knox - 19

Trimble - 27
River - 17

Tomcats - 26
Danville - 10

Tomcats - 19
Newark Catholic - 14

Tomcats - 24
Caldwell - 17

Tomcats - 31
Shadyside - 20

Tomcats - 40
Beaver Eastern - 14

Like I said, all for fun because I got bored. Don’t take it personal.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:34 pm
formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:15 pm
Big agree.
Been saying this I think they are the favorite over Trimble.
Ek's starting running back broke his leg in the middle of the 3rd qtr in a 42-0 game in week 5. Not the same stud(D6 Off POY) they had at rb last year, but still pretty good player.

Return to “Football”