Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

SpeedKillz

Re: Ironton vs Kirtland State Championship

Post by SpeedKillz »

TigerMania wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:33 pm I sure hope the coaches are watching the state championship game film from last year. Hopefully seeing what didn’t work and what will work! Kirtland is definitely beatable, but it will take more than what we have been doing this far especially offensively.
Go Tigers and bring home #3.
Agreed. I feel like a couple wrinkles w the right personnel could take some pressure off Carrico offensively. QB1 has showed he is more elsusive than what he gets credit for. I'd like to see that mixed in saturday and I would also try to get the West kid the ball in space ( slant, bubble screen, wildcat/end around maybe) & then also, the stack I w Carrico blocking for an array of backs ( Carter, Deer, etc) was real effective down the stretch. Maybe bring somethin outta the bag where QB can get the ball out quick & keep the Kirtland LB's honest. If they get beat a time or two it may loosen Kirtland up. Even champs second guess.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm They're gonna have to use a few slip screens, tunnel screens, dump passes, short sideline outs, button hooks , short crossing routes and slants or a trick halfback pass or double reverse, something to offset that Kirtland defense. I'd be very surprised to see a few of these but you gotta throw some Dabo, Nick and Urban ball in there with Woody and Vince ball nowadays. JMO
Ironton has a couple weapons that could do just that w the ball in space.

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:39 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm
Koondogger 2.1 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Yeah. Why not just rewrite the entire offense this week? My take on this is IHS has done pretty well dancing with the girl they brought. If you tweak anything it might be something on one play. Otherwise you lose execution. Execution is what put them in this game in the first place. try to remember that.
Didn't say rewrite the playbook. After all I mentioned I said "something", not meaning all. You can ride the horse that brought you but you gotta throw in a wrinkle or two at championship time. I've watched Ironton play off and on for over 50 years with some great teams in reg. season and playoffs and have watched 5 of their 10 State final games in person. They've always been run oriented, had great rb's and have great defenses but sheer power alone won't get it done in today's football world.
I would agree whole heartedly here. I’m not sure where rewrite that playbook came in but I’d say it’s a safe bet LaVerde will have them ready for the horse that bought you. I agree with mix it up some. To quote coach Yoast (one of my favorite movies) “He’s onto your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”
Both teams wanna muscle ya outta the game. Push ya up & down the field. Make ya offense one dimensional. Wear ya down w the run. Kirtland likes to pound the defense and then p/a over the top to the tall wr. Ironton likes to pound the rock & find Howell downfield. I feel like the "medium range game" could be a factor here. Both teams are gonna have to make plays in the shallow half of the field. If the LOS is a stale mate turnovers, tackling and penalties may decide this game.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 pm
FANOSPORTS wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Didn't say rewrite the playbook. After all I mentioned I said "something", not meaning all. You can ride the horse that brought you but you gotta throw in a wrinkle or two at championship time. I've watched Ironton play off and on for over 50 years with some great teams in reg. season and playoffs and have watched 5 of their 10 State final games in person. They've always been run oriented, had great rb's and have great defenses but sheer power alone won't get it done in today's football world.
I would agree whole heartedly here. I’m not sure where rewrite that playbook came in but I’d say it’s a safe bet LaVerde will have them ready for the horse that bought you. I agree with mix it up some. To quote coach Yoast (one of my favorite movies) “He’s onto your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”
Both teams wanna muscle ya outta the game. Push ya up & down the field. Make ya offense one dimensional. Wear ya down w the run. Kirtland likes to pound the defense and then p/a over the top to the tall wr. Ironton likes to pound the rock & find Howell downfield. I feel like the "medium range game" could be a factor here. Both teams are gonna have to make plays in the shallow half of the field. If the LOS is a stale mate turnovers, tackling and penalties may decide this game.
That WR has been used less this year than others. There has been multiple games 5 other receivers in the same game had more catches and yards. I will agree with others that our passing game is quite a bit better than what I’ve seen in years past
Last edited by Kirtland80 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6O HORN3TS 🐝
SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Also, I think the pressure is on Ironton saturday. Regardless the outcome, Kirtland is solidified. 40 straight. AP rankings. Multiple titles.

Ironton is unproven on the big stage. And you average in revenge factor and not wanting to lose back to back title games vs the same team? Soph QB1 who didnt have any reps against Kirtland last season. Talented ( but young) staff vs an elite staff ( Leverde staff). And the All Americans very last night as a Tiger. Soph RB's status/health is questionable or at the very least ( mysterious) The lights couldn't get any hotter for the Fighting Tigers. I feel like these two teams matchup so evenly that intangibles are gonna decide and play calling is gonna be something to play close attention to. Also clock management and overall awareness on the field. Carpenter as a young QB1 is gonna have to make himself aware of clock as will Pendleton & staff to avoid the time mismanagement they experienced vs Kirtland last season ( Salyers/staff)

SpeedKillz

Post by SpeedKillz »

Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:40 pm

That WR has been used less this year than others. I will agree with others that our passing game is quite a bit better than what I’ve seen in years past
Kirtlands qb has a good arm. Hes accurate and has multiple targets. Demarco. Grazia. Sullivan. Etc. All of em can pile up YAC yards on ya too!! Kirtlands offense is def more diverse this year. Gotta respect it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Good luck to the Tigers.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SpeedKillz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm

That WR has been used less this year than others. I will agree with others that our passing game is quite a bit better than what I’ve seen in years past
Kirtlands qb has a good arm. Hes accurate and has multiple targets. Demarco. Grazia. Sullivan. Etc. All of em can pile up YAC yards on ya too!! Kirtlands offense is def more diverse this year. Gotta respect it.
Run right at you and sustain drives by running is our main objective. It keeps defenses on the field and we wear teams out that way. If we can do it that way, expect very few passes. We’ve only passed like 25 times the whole playoffs. Our advantage usually comes from conditioning and keeping defenses on the field and wearing them out

6O HORN3TS 🐝
TigerMania
JV Team

Post by TigerMania »

Sure hope Ironton staff is watching film on last year’s state game vs Kirtland. Should definitely be able to find somethings that we didn’t do well that they thought would work, but mainly somethings we should take advantage of. Everyone has a weakness you just have to find it and take advantage of it even if it means getting out of your comfort zone aka wishbone. These kids can beat Kirtland but you all have to put them in the best situations to do so let’s bring home #3. Go Tigers!

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

TigerMania wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:36 pm Sure hope Ironton staff is watching film on last year’s state game vs Kirtland. Should definitely be able to find somethings that we didn’t do well that they thought would work, but mainly somethings we should take advantage of. Everyone has a weakness you just have to find it and take advantage of it even if it means getting out of your comfort zone aka wishbone. These kids can beat Kirtland but you all have to put them in the best situations to do so let’s bring home #3. Go Tigers!
I wouldn’t necessarily say there is a weakness. They are very good in all facets of the game. You just got to try and make more plays and beat them that way. I would say that with this Ironton team as well. I think their only weakness has been themselves lately with some turnovers. That Bacon game shouldn’t have even been close. If they get that cleaned up, I expect a great game. Anyone is beatable if you make the plays and I think that’s what this will come down to. Whoever makes the most plays in critical situations. Every team we face knows our game plan coming into it. We want to run at you, grind out first downs and wear you out. They all know that. It just making the plays in those situations to prevent it

6O HORN3TS 🐝
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

This is our best plays, stop us if you can. Most successful coaches rarely deviate from their base plays, as previously been discussed. They may have a wrinkle or two off those base plays and formations but I wouldnt think either team would have wholesale changes. .

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

From this tiger rooting for the fighting tigers I hope you guys can get it done this time around, I think Ironton wins 20-13

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:14 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:05 am They have been in the weight room for almost 2 hours. 7:15 all of them were there. They are a gritty, determined bunch that does not care what sacrifices it takes. They did it all week last week for 3 and 4 hours at a time after practice, well every week this season for that matter
I've read things about the weightroom. If this is legit, then to me it's more impressive than their win streak

As far as the game, I agree with another poster Ironton's best shot was last year. Carrico has willed this team in the playoffs. They had some serious luck with the Ridgewood quarterback being out, as Ridgewood was better than the team last night just as it was last year. But either way you have to hand it to Carrico, he is tough. Kirtland won't let him run, someone else will have to beat them and he doesn't exist on this team imo
We talked a few days ago about this, about the weight room. I said they were back in there the next morning after the Otsego win and they go 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I dug one of these up from you guys newspaper. Straight from LaVerde himself
Attachments
31410ED2-30F4-4E98-B040-D9B07487646A.png
04206D1D-F612-4DE3-B73D-78E259C8EB53.png

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Giorgio Tsoukalous
JV Team

Post by Giorgio Tsoukalous »

Ironton 14 Kirtland 10. I believe irontons line has the advantage on both sides of the ball in this game. Ironton shouldn't change anything, just go out, execute, and bring state title #3 back to I-town.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Run right at you and sustain drives by running is our main objective. It keeps defenses on the field and we wear teams out that way. If we can do it that way, expect very few passes. We’ve only passed like 25 times the whole playoffs. Our advantage usually comes from conditioning and keeping defenses on the field and wearing them out
Just watch out for a long Pass the first play of the game from Kirtland 😳

Irontons conditioning is much better than last year in my opinion, they put the time in during the off-season after last years State Championship game.

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 am
Kirtland80 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Just watch out for a long Pass the first play of the game from Kirtland 😳

Irontons conditioning is much better than last year in my opinion, they put the time in during the off-season after last years State Championship game.
I think they did that long pass to try and keep you honest to try and get the run game going plus no one expected it, so I think it was smart. We can pass too but run is what we want to do. We didn’t wear them down last year. They were pretty good at getting their defense off the field. The 10 teams we have played so far haven’t been and you can see in a few of games where we played starters late, the second half is where we pulled away. 15-13 game last week ended 39-13 because they couldn’t get their defense off the field and we wore them out. If we can keep the run going and sustain drives, it’s going to take its toll in my opinion but like I said, they got them off the field pretty good last year

6O HORN3TS 🐝
artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

I would say the reason the soph.rb has carried the ball less,too many fumbles.A great player no doubt but ball security lately has been a problem.

gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

If ironton takes care of the ball and does not commit the silly penalties they have in my opinion A5050 chance. If they play with all the mistakes like they did last week and in several other games it will be running clock

Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

gobucs20 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 am If ironton takes care of the ball and does not commit the silly penalties they have in my opinion A5050 chance. If they play with all the mistakes like they did last week and in several other games it will be running clock
Idk about a running clock. I believe they’d have to make many mistakes for that to happen but I do think it will be a good one as long as they play a clean game. Last year neither of us had a turnover so hopefully we both can play a clean one again

6O HORN3TS 🐝
Kirtland80
All State

Post by Kirtland80 »

Giorgio Tsoukalous wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 am Ironton 14 Kirtland 10. I believe irontons line has the advantage on both sides of the ball in this game. Ironton shouldn't change anything, just go out, execute, and bring state title #3 back to I-town.
They have size advantage for sure. We are small but don’t underestimate their strength because they are small. These guys live in the weight room

6O HORN3TS 🐝

Return to “Football”