September 1, 2023 Jackson 28 - 20 Wheelersburg

RBH23
SE

Re: September 1, 2023 Jackson 28 - 20 Wheelersburg

Post by RBH23 »

Prime Time wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:00 am Ironman 98 was waiting for someone to point out that Burgs offense would be no way close to what it is now without the Portsmouth player. So I bet you could do a better job at Coaching than Coach Woodward. Computer Coachs are the best, LOL. Maybe Coach Pendleton will transfer him and his staff to Wheelersburg. Now Wheelersburg can play Northwest and everything will be back to normal. Good Luck Wheelersburg and Coach Woodward, pressure is on this coming week! Coach RBH ,so how would you Coach and improve, let us know and maybe Coach Woodward will have your input on special teams, defense, and offensive schemes. Coach RBH do you think if they played Fairland, Chesapeake or this week Northwest or maybe Oak Hill you would be a happier. Maybe playing these better teams that talent level is more even and that you cant cakewalk over them. I say Coach Woodward does very well and I would pick him as one of best Coachs in all Southern Ohio.
Let’s start with the big picture and consider Burg’s performance over the past 5+ seasons. Special teams (except this year) and defense have been solid. Problems at Burg lie with the offense:

1. First rule of offense is “do no harm” via turnovers, yet Burg’s O has been a turnover machine.
- 2020 Burg lost to Pikeville 20-7 after turning the ball over five times! That has to be a school record.
- 2021 Burg gets crushed by IHS in the season opener after turning the ball over four times in one quarter (another school record) resulting in 28 straight IHS points.
- Jackson loss last year after costly turnovers, IHS and Jackson losses again this year. Costly turnovers in ‘21 against HP, etc.

2. Burg O has been unable to make halftime adjustments which have cost them seven games in three years. Those losses included twice to IHS, twice to HP, twice to Jackson, and once to West. In those seven losses, Burg was tied or leading at the half in most of these games only to be blanked after the half. Burg has scored a whopping 12 points in the second half of those seven games; all against Jackson!

3. Play calling that is often times “too cute.” What do I mean by this? Burg would pound the ball down the field, get inside the 10 yard line, and then start running jet sweeps or pass plays threat didn’t work. This problem was most obvious when Lattimore was in the backfield. Many times he would bulldoze his way down the field only to not get the ball at the goal line.

So what’s the problem and solution? Problem is that Burg is running an offense that does not work for them. It’s turnover prone, heavily dependent on a dynamic QB, and ineffective against teams of equal or greater talent. Need to switch to a basic, run heavy offense.

But how do we know this will work? Just watch Kirtland and Marion Local. These teams do not have more talent than Burg. In fact, these communities and school systems are very much like Burg. They win big games with offensives that are simple and effective while causing “no harm.” Burg loses big games with an offense that is complex and ineffective while also causing significant harm.

That’s a big step towards fixing Burg’s offensive problems but will require time to transition; especially with regards to the offensive line.

Will address this year’s issues on another post…

Pirate321
Waterboy

Post by Pirate321 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:37 am
Prime Time wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:00 am Ironman 98 was waiting for someone to point out that Burgs offense would be no way close to what it is now without the Portsmouth player. So I bet you could do a better job at Coaching than Coach Woodward. Computer Coachs are the best, LOL. Maybe Coach Pendleton will transfer him and his staff to Wheelersburg. Now Wheelersburg can play Northwest and everything will be back to normal. Good Luck Wheelersburg and Coach Woodward, pressure is on this coming week! Coach RBH ,so how would you Coach and improve, let us know and maybe Coach Woodward will have your input on special teams, defense, and offensive schemes. Coach RBH do you think if they played Fairland, Chesapeake or this week Northwest or maybe Oak Hill you would be a happier. Maybe playing these better teams that talent level is more even and that you cant cakewalk over them. I say Coach Woodward does very well and I would pick him as one of best Coachs in all Southern Ohio.
Let’s start with the big picture and consider Burg’s performance over the past 5+ seasons. Special teams (except this year) and defense have been solid. Problems at Burg lie with the offense:

1. First rule of offense is “do no harm” via turnovers, yet Burg’s O has been a turnover machine.
- 2020 Burg lost to Pikeville 20-7 after turning the ball over five times! That has to be a school record.
- 2021 Burg gets crushed by IHS in the season opener after turning the ball over four times in one quarter (another school record) resulting in 28 straight IHS points.
- Jackson loss last year after costly turnovers, IHS and Jackson losses again this year. Costly turnovers in ‘21 against HP, etc.

2. Burg O has been unable to make halftime adjustments which have cost them seven games in three years. Those losses included twice to IHS, twice to HP, twice to Jackson, and once to West. In those seven losses, Burg was tied or leading at the half in most of these games only to be blanked after the half. Burg has scored a whopping 12 points in the second half of those seven games; all against Jackson!

3. Play calling that is often times “too cute.” What do I mean by this? Burg would pound the ball down the field, get inside the 10 yard line, and then start running jet sweeps or pass plays threat didn’t work. This problem was most obvious when Lattimore was in the backfield. Many times he would bulldoze his way down the field only to not get the ball at the goal line.

So what’s the problem and solution? Problem is that Burg is running an offense that does not work for them. It’s turnover prone, heavily dependent on a dynamic QB, and ineffective against teams of equal or greater talent. Need to switch to a basic, run heavy offense.

But how do we know this will work? Just watch Kirtland and Marion Local. These teams do not have more talent than Burg. In fact, these communities and school systems are very much like Burg. They win big games with offensives that are simple and effective while causing “no harm.” Burg loses big games with an offense that is complex and ineffective while also causing significant harm.

That’s a big step towards fixing Burg’s offensive problems but will require time to transition; especially with regards to the offensive line.

You must have your timeline wrong burg did not play pikeville in 2020

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Pirate321 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:12 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:37 am

You must have your timeline wrong burg did not play pikeville in 2020
My apologies.

They played in 2021. Burg lost 20-7. Fumbled four times (losing three) and throwing an interception. Pikeville had zero turnovers; obviously a program that tends not to beat themselves.

I was off a year and one lost turnover. Memory starting to slip with age. LOL!

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Looks like a vote needs to be taken in Wheelersburg and immediately make Coach RGH either the new Head Coach or Head Offensive Coach ASAP. Looks to me like someone needs to face reality instead of looking at past records and telling current staff how, what and who to play or what to run. Maybe your expectations of current talent is off and these young men are doing there best and giving 100percent. But if Im deducting here its all the Coachs fault and not the play of the players. To me giving up 20 points a game should be a issue also, but somehow your blaming the O and special teams.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:28 pm Looks like a vote needs to be taken in Wheelersburg and immediately make Coach RGH either the new Head Coach or Head Offensive Coach ASAP. Looks to me like someone needs to face reality instead of looking at past records and telling current staff how, what and who to play or what to run. Maybe your expectations of current talent is off and these young men are doing there best and giving 100percent. But if Im deducting here its all the Coachs fault and not the play of the players. To me giving up 20 points a game should be a issue also, but somehow your blaming the O and special teams.
First, I’m not saying Woodward should be canned. I’m saying he needs to consider if this offensive style is correct for the players he has. The turnovers, penalties, and inability to score in the second half of games (against good teams) is a year over year chronic problem within the program. Burg isn’t losing simply because the other teams are better. Burg is giving themselves no chance to win with these mistakes. And, since this is happening regardless of the players, it most certainly falls on the shoulder of the coaches. They are ultimately responsible for the team’s performance and results.

Second, your conclusion of the D being the problem based on 20 pts per game is based on zero analysis and thought. 24 points this year have occurred after turnovers and miscues were made resulting in the other team getting the ball in scoring position. That’s 8 pts per game of the 20. No team can turn the ball over 3-4 times every game and win consistently.

My critique is not out of line with what others from Burg think. It’s one thing to lose when the team is simply outmanned (ie the 2019 opening game against Ironton). It’s another to give yourself no chance of winning due to turnovers and penalties. Burg fans have a great deal of respect for Woodward, but he has work to do to correct these chronic issues that have been plaguing his teams.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

I don’t see others from Wheelersburg ranting and raving about this years results. They are playing teams that are as equal in talent. Has it ever entered your mind that these other teams are as talented and play great team ball. Who forces most turnovers, most of time other team D forces turnovers whether you like it or not. Then other reason would be maybe they really aren’t as good and doing the best they can. Don’t worry SOC schedule coming up. Northwest will make things right again . Minford should right things up . 20 pts a game on D is still 20 pts a game given up no matter how you spin it!

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:13 pm I don’t see others from Wheelersburg ranting and raving about this years results. They are playing teams that are as equal in talent. Has it ever entered your mind that these other teams are as talented and play great team ball. Who forces most turnovers, most of time other team D forces turnovers whether you like it or not. Then other reason would be maybe they really aren’t as good and doing the best they can. Don’t worry SOC schedule coming up. Northwest will make things right again . Minford should right things up . 20 pts a game on D is still 20 pts a game given up no matter how you spin it!
I get contacted by other Burg fans: messages, texts, even calls. And some of these fans are not just your average Joe.

This isn’t a one season issue. This is a many year trend. Teams that turn the ball over loose. And Burg is turning the ball over in large numbers. Just think what happens in the Jackson game if Burg doesn’t turn it over, or if Jackson turns it over three times.

Yes, these problems I listed happen against the better or equally talented teams. Burg turns it over far more than these other teams do; if talent was equal, turnovers wouldn’t always be lopsided against Burg. Hell, Kirtland doesn’t turn it over against IHS despite having far inferior talent. Team discipline that comes from the coaches does matter!

Also, the seven games I mentioned where Burg has scored a whopping 12 points in the second half. Other teams are figuring out Burg O, and the coaches are unable to adjust. Burg O is simply not effective against better teams. Hence why they should copy Kirtland and Marion Local. These schools do not have superior talent; nowhere near the talent of Jackson or IHS. Yet they win state titles more often than Burg wins the SOC!

Their secret? Strong run game, strong fundamental play, solid D, don’t beat themselves. Nothing fancy at all!

Now let’s talk about this year, and specifically the IHS game.
- On the first possession, Burg gets the ball into field goal range thanks to IHS’ parade of penalties. IHS basically gave Burg 3 points. However, the Burg coaches call a play that puts the sophomore QB into a tough situation: trying to complete a pass near the goal line. Big mistake. Sophomore QB does what first time starters often do… he throws and interception.

- A few possessions later… once again Burg is closing in on field goal range. With the wildcat QB in for Burg, the coaches call another pass play into the end zone. Another interception. No way should the backup QB brought in to run the ball be passing.

Burg cost themselves 6 points with those two boneheaded play calls. These are the mistakes that keep happening year over year…. And mistakes that have cost them in their first three games of this year.

I’m not thinking just SOC. I want to see Burg play well come playoffs. Want to simply see them not beat themselves.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

As armchair coaches in the stands we see what the coaches see. I trust the coaches will do what they need to do be successful. We all have our opinions.

I wish we could run it more, but do we have a back that can carry that many carries. Right now the coaches like their outside skilled kids. I agree they are talented. Maybe they will find something in practice that will allow them to run it more efficiently.

Burg's defense is pretty good in my opinion. They will eventually get the offense more efficient. Even with their so called struggles, they have still racked up a lot of yards and found the end-zone. We haven't seen a clean game out of the Pirates. They can beat anyone in this area when they do.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:01 pm As armchair coaches in the stands we see what the coaches see. I trust the coaches will do what they need to do be successful. We all have our opinions.

I wish we could run it more, but do we have a back that can carry that many carries. Right now the coaches like their outside skilled kids. I agree they are talented. Maybe they will find something in practice that will allow them to run it more efficiently.

Burg's defense is pretty good in my opinion. They will eventually get the offense more efficient. Even with their so called struggles, they have still racked up a lot of yards and found the end-zone. We haven't seen a clean game out of the Pirates. They can beat anyone in this area when they do.
I agree with your last two sentences: “we haven’t seen a clean game out of the Pirates.” And “they can beat anyone in this area when they do.”

Come the HP game, don’t need to see a win to indicate improvement. Want to see dramatic improvement in turnovers/penalties. Also want to see a competitive second half; a score or two would be a nice step forward.

As for who can run the ball that many times, Burg would obviously have to do it by committee. However, I think the bigger challenge is the Oline. They are coached to operate in the spread, not to be a grind it out power run team.

Assume you know of Brian White: played for Ed Miller back in the day and went on to coach Hilliard Davidson. Lead them to two D1 state titles and six regional titles running Ed’s offense. Their OL execution was a thing of beauty.

Their style is very similar to Kirtland and ML. It’s the style winning programs without top talent use to successfully compete.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:01 pm As armchair coaches in the stands we see what the coaches see. I trust the coaches will do what they need to do be successful. We all have our opinions.

Jackson handed Wheelersburg a touchdown with the bad snap and punt , the penalties took 3 points off the board , and also clean up the deep pass defense and Burg probably don’t score.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:37 pm

I wish we could run it more, but do we have a back that can carry that many carries. Right now the coaches like their outside skilled kids. I agree they are talented. Maybe they will find something in a practice that will allow them to run it more efficiently.

Jackson handed Wheelersburg a touchdown with the bad snap and punt , the penalties took 3 points off the board , and also clean up the deep pass defense and Burg probably don’t score.
What was the box score? Total yards, penalties/yards, etc.

I was told Burg actually out gained Jackson but the penalties and turnovers negated that advantage.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg gave you three turnovers. Plus I think the penalties actually hurt burg. Jackson pinned burg back with the punt. If they kick it, burg at least gets it at 20 on the ensuing kick off. The 3 points wouldn’t have made a difference at that point. I’m not trying to take away Jackson win but I’ve talked to someone close to Jackson team and they believe they stole one.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:40 pm

Burg gave you three turnovers. Plus I think the penalties actually hurt burg. Jackson pinned burg back with the punt. If they kick it, burg at least gets it at 20 on the ensuing kick off. The 3 points wouldn’t have made a difference at that point. I’m not trying to take away Jackson win but I’ve talked to someone close to Jackson team and they believe they stole one.
Stole one 😂, it was 14-0 and Jackson had a breakdown in the secondary, then a bad snap had Jackson punting from their end zone giving Burg the ball at Jackson’s 40 which resulted in a touchdown , penalties took 3 points off the board. Jackson was the better team and has been for a while , thus the 4 game won streak over Wheelersburg.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Turnovers decided the outcome.

A team that is +1 in turnover margin wins about 70% of the time. Jackson was +3 which comes out to about 82% chance of winning.

Many people underestimate how damaging turnovers truly are.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:49 pm

A team that is +1 in turnover margin wins about 70% of the time. Jackson was +3 which comes out to about 82% chance of winning.

Jackson had many mistakes as well, handing the Burg points. Got to clean that up.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:51 pm

Jackson had many mistakes as well, handing the Burg points. Got to clean that up.
But zero turnovers. That’s a big deal.

Other mistakes hurt, but turnovers are often what decide football games.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:53 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:51 pm

But zero turnovers. That’s a big deal.

Other mistakes hurt, but turnovers are often what decide football games.
If Jackson cleans those things up they could be a good Jackson team, we’ll see how they progress.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Bottom line is Wheelersburg is 1-2. Soon to be 2-2 and then probably 2-3. Then cake walk thru SOC to finish year either 7-3 or 6-4. Then win 1 to 2 games in playoffs and end up 9-4 or 8-5. This is the bottom line. From now until next season, I hope you can either join the staff or get used to these typical 2-4 losses a year. Maybe become a staff writer for newspaper and give a rundown on all the negatives of each game.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Prime Time wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:01 pm Bottom line is Wheelersburg is 1-2. Soon to be 2-2 and then probably 2-3. Then cake walk thru SOC to finish year either 7-3 or 6-4. Then win 1 to 2 games in playoffs and end up 9-4 or 8-5. This is the bottom line. From now until next season, I hope you can either join the staff or get used to these typical 2-4 losses a year. Maybe become a staff writer for newspaper and give a rundown on all the negatives of each game.
Burg has the fourth highest winning percentage in the state of Ohio. They’ve had only 5 seasons in the past 50 where they lost four or more regular season games. Five in fifty years!!

If four losses per year becomes the norm, Burg admin will definitely be making changes to the football team.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

Have you ever thought Wheelersburg always played weaker teams for all those years to start the season and then run rough shod thru SOC, besides occasionally Waverly or West. It was a cake walk seasons. Where they avoided the better teams in area for years until they thought they had better players..

Return to “Football”