Freshman Team

Re: Ironton @ Coal Grove in Jamboree game

Post by queenofhearts »

any injuries? i always hate to see injuries during scrimmages

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Photos from last night's jamboree are now online. Great game!!

Click here to get to them: http://www.buckeyeshots.com/football.html

juke boxer
JV Team

Post by juke boxer »

You are correct Frogtown, Wilkes did score. JP was caught from behind (that cat from CG has some wheels). You are also correct 2trap, both teams need A LOT of work. I'm sure both coaches will see more things done wrong than right when they review the films. How about Coach Ward, Lutz and Lucas on the field at the same time ! How many years of football between those 3. 12 state championships between Lutz and Ward. Carl Ward has probably forgot more about football than 75% of High School coaches know.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

juke boxer wrote:You are correct Frogtown, Wilkes did score. JP was caught from behind (that cat from CG has some wheels). You are also correct 2trap, both teams need A LOT of work. I'm sure both coaches will see more things done wrong than right when they review the films. How about Coach Ward, Lutz and Lucas on the field at the same time ! How many years of football between those 3. 12 state championships between Lutz and Ward. Carl Ward has probably forgot more about football than 75% of High School coaches know.

Juke, when I saw Lucas and Lutz at the 50 and Ward on the sideline my first thought was how those men have probably forgotten more about high school football then we will ever know.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

fuzzhead wrote:Here's a list of my concerns about Coal Grove's upcoming season. I listed these on another thread. Ironton and Coal Grove fans, how do you feel CG did in these categories? Please don't be disrespectful and leave the coaches/players' names out of the smear game - I'm just wondering how everyone feels after the big scrimmage, going into the season.

In you guys' opinion, how did they fare in these categories:

1. Adjusting to changes (if you feel there were any) to their offensive style. I felt the Grove didn't adjust at all, they looked right at home running the ball but looked lost when we were passing

2. O-line play. This is were I am worried, like I said they ran the ball good, but pass blocking concerns me, they didn't hold their blocks for very long. If we are going to put the ball up and I believe this quarterback can, then we need to give him time.

3. Defense (especially the secondary). Thought the secondary looked good, I put on another thread on here that the defense's only problem is when it comes to the option and misdirection, they looked completely lost last night on misdirection plays.

4. Attitude/disipline. I believe we have the attitude we just didn't have the disipline last night, which we need to get in a hurry because Meigs will put points up if we don't show displine.

5. Stamina/endurance Another area of concern, Frank was blowing air after the second offensive series, we need to get the stamina up, I believe that the cooler temps we had early on in July and August hurt us, we couldn't handle the weather very good last night..

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

this sounds interesting. i bet it was a huge crowd :idea:

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

There's some video clips on Irontonfootball.com

Watch the run after the catch in clip #7 by JR RB Tres Wilkes as he leaps a defender at about the 20 on his way into the end zone.

http://www.irontonfootball.com/09-video ... expage.htm

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

jim creamer said to sell all your stock in calpreps!!!!!!!! under performers as far as predictions go!! the talent gap between these 2 teams is greater than anyone here wants to admit. delawder is a good back but hardly the second coming of ron dayne. he will do well against the 160 lb lineman across from him in the ovc

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

so ironton beats cg in a scrimmage and they are tops, while they get their butts kicked by wayne and it was just a scrimmage :roll:

either way its just a scrimmage, . . a scrimmage
duh cg you aren't gonna be amazing, still workin with what you had last year

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

2trap_4ever wrote:1. Adjusting to changes (if you feel there were any) to their offensive style. I felt the Grove didn't adjust at all, they looked right at home running the ball but looked lost when we were passing

I felt the same way. . . I'd like to see the pass game be a viable and comfortable option, but not a staple. 5-10 passes a game with one or two on first down. . .

2trap_4ever wrote:2. O-line play. This is were I am worried, like I said they ran the ball good, but pass blocking concerns me, they didn't hold their blocks for very long. If we are going to put the ball up and I believe this quarterback can, then we need to give him time.

Now see, I've alway been told that pass blocking was easier and so I wasn't expecting it to be like that. It seemed like there was some confusion on a few assignments in the passing game. Hopefully they'll get it together.

2trap_4ever wrote:3. Defense (especially the secondary). Thought the secondary looked good, I put on another thread on here that the defense's only problem is when it comes to the option and misdirection, they looked completely lost last night on misdirection plays.

Hopefully they'll get that worked out. The secondary will be tested against Meigs though, if they're going to pass like everyone says they are.

2trap_4ever wrote:5. Stamina/endurance Another area of concern, Frank was blowing air after the second offensive series, we need to get the stamina up, I believe that the cooler temps we had early on in July and August hurt us, we couldn't handle the weather very good last night..

I know I've beat this point like a dead horse, but I'd like to see them doing some serious running of some sort - speed and endurance.

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

tl895 wrote:jim creamer said to sell all your stock in calpreps!!!!!!!! under performers as far as predictions go!! the talent gap between these 2 teams is greater than anyone here wants to admit. delawder is a good back but hardly the second coming of ron dayne. he will do well against the 160 lb lineman across from him in the ovc

You guys can dish it out, but can you take it? I think week 5 will answer that question.

queenofhearts
Freshman Team

Post by queenofhearts »

Heard Dion is likely done for the season with an ACL tear.. anyone know for sure?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

queenofhearts wrote:Heard Dion is likely done for the season with an ACL tear.. anyone know for sure?

I heard he was having an MRI done this evening, havn't heard the results. It's a shame if he has a torn ACL, he's a great Athlete.

Dion will be in our thoughts and Prayers for a quick and healthy recovery.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

none of us could figure out who this guy was , that was going to average 5 yardsa carry for the hornets. as i saw it, they mostly went backwards. i too, am sick of hearing how coal grove and south point could play with ironton year in and out. we stomped a mudhole in both. i don't see where there is any argument. and furthermore , with ironton's schedule i see no ovc team winning more than 2 games. not being rude , just a fact. the last 2 games we played coal grove it was a combined 100-0. and we have put 40 plus points on south point in the first half of most games. it simply does not add up. but here is always next year.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

and tiger bait I am tired of hearing it to, seeing that it seems to always come from the Ironton people, not many Coal Grove people come on here and say this, nor do South Point people, I would like for this season for all the Ironton people to get over themselves, and look at the facts, you beat a Div 5 school, way to go, you really came out there put on the big boy pants and beat a school smaller than you, how about this, Ironton people, you can brag when you finally beat Logan, if that will happen.

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

Bigger Schools Ironton has beatin.
Just to name a few..

Ashland
Jackson
Chillicothe
Zanesville
Marietta
Warren
Desales
Belfy

Just a few...

Now what about Grove?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

2trap, after the bithday wishes , and everything. my point exactly. if you go back to page one, you'll see i said this was not the type of game ironton needed to get ready for wheelersburg. and as far as enrollment, you are wrong about enrollment, check the numbers. i bet there is not much more than a dozen different in enrollment.

ironton was not saying gonna run for 5 yards a carry. honestly, i am not trying to argue. money wise, not really a bigger crowd than say anybody else local. but we are an extremely small d4. i'm not hurling insults like some may think, i'm saying that game did nobody any good. coal grove got shoved around, and ironton was not tested. we need to change this in the future. because everybody knows the tigers start slow for some reason. ironton/burg, in week 8. with both teams healthy, would likely not be a close game, any year. take it for what it's worth. thats the equivalent to you all playing a poor d6 team, then opening with meigs, which you do. and meigs of late has been pretty good. and as far as logan, the series is 16-7 , in ironton's favor, at least we play them. coal grove should be lucky they don't play our schedule.i won't comment on it again, but i told you all so.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Hey, I don't have any problem at all with Ironton's Football team. I've said on here before that I just don't get why Coal Grove fans cheer when Ironton is losing on friday nights (actually, I do know why they do it) and then go cheer for them when they make the playoffs.
What gets me is the smug, arrogant attitude some of these Tiger fans bring on here. You saw what happens when the two teams meet up (at a scrimmage, what's more!) GOLD MINE!!! While these Tiger fans are sitting here bragging about being the best team in that there Lawrence County, the Hornets are counting the dough, while plotting a playoff run of their own in region 19.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i wish coal grove and all the other local teams all the luck in the world. i'd love to be able to go to playoffs friday and saturday. you may not know it , but i'm a fan of every body local. i hope they all make the playoffs , and kick the northern teams butts. nothing would make me happier this football season than to watch the fighting tigers , on friday, and an ovc team on saturday. i don't know how old you are, but one of my favorite all time series was the coal grove/burg playoff tilts. :-D

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I've been looking for them on video. . . but I've seen the scores and I can only imagine how exciting they must have been.
I'd like to see Ironton, Coal Grove, and Symmes Valley all make the playoffs this year.
And btw, I played little league against your Rock Hill b-team. . . we got skunked. :lol:

Return to “Football”