Wheelersburg 42 McNicholas 35 2022

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Burg vs Archbishop

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:37 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:47 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:37 am

Holden was definitely special, but Burg has had some good ones over the years.

I don’t remember those in the 70’s but do some of those in the 80’s and 90’s:

1) Brad Walke: was a star in basketball, baseball, and track; best Burg basketball player I have ever seen. He also started at QB his freshman year at Oak Hill but never played football for Burg. Went to UNC Charlotte.

2) Matt Miller class of ‘90: state football title as QB, state semis in basketball his junior year. Had Holden’s size. Would have been a helluva pitcher if he played baseball. Went to OU on a football scholarship although I think he could have went bigger in basketball.

3) Chris Ellis: three sport star. Starting LB as a sophomore on Burg’s state champ team; started as a sophomore on the basketball and baseball teams as well. Helluva baseball player. Went to OSU.

4) Jonathan Eaton: star in football, basketball, and track. In college, he actually made it into a Sports Illustrated story called Zips Mr Everything. Was leading Akron in tackles as the starting safety and was one of the top punters in the MAC.

Always hard to determine who was the best, but I think we’ll eventually see another “Holden”. Just might take a while.

You are correct sir!! I went to school with Walke and I know Coach Miller tried to get him to play. He just never would bite. I think he loved baseball more than basketball. Hard to believe that but in talking to him after we graduated, the pressure put on him by his dad made basketball just not that fun for him.

The other three were incredible athletes that’s for sure. Maybe I should have said the best football player I’ve ever watched at Burg. He could take over a football game anytime he wanted to. His talent was usually head and shoulders above anyone else on the field. Holden is just my opinion.
Not sure if you are aware, but Brad passed some time ago. Was living in Oxford, Ohio at the time.

He was my hero growing up, and when I was older, loved playing basketball with him. Not just an awesome player but a great guy.

Yeah, I knew Brad had passed. After we graduated in 83 Brad and I would meet up behind the old Burg grade school and play one on one. We had a blast. We would then sit and talk and he would always would bring up his Dad and how he really wasn’t fond of him.

I remember our Senior year, Brad had just scored 36 in a 20 point win over Portsmouth. It was one of the few games his dad came to watch. I was standing talking with Brad when his dad walked and Brad thanked him for coming and said to his dad did you see I scored 36. All his dad could say was, you should have scored 40. You missed 2 free throws and a layup. Not great game or anything. Just criticism. It was sad to see.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg 42 McNicholas 35 2022

Post by MrPerfect »

Very nice win here! Don’t sleep on the Pirates 🏴‍☠️

WWE HALL OF FAME
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congratulations Pirates, nice win.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:27 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:37 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:47 pm

You are correct sir!! I went to school with Walke and I know Coach Miller tried to get him to play. He just never would bite. I think he loved baseball more than basketball. Hard to believe that but in talking to him after we graduated, the pressure put on him by his dad made basketball just not that fun for him.

The other three were incredible athletes that’s for sure. Maybe I should have said the best football player I’ve ever watched at Burg. He could take over a football game anytime he wanted to. His talent was usually head and shoulders above anyone else on the field. Holden is just my opinion.
Not sure if you are aware, but Brad passed some time ago. Was living in Oxford, Ohio at the time.

He was my hero growing up, and when I was older, loved playing basketball with him. Not just an awesome player but a great guy.

Yeah, I knew Brad had passed. After we graduated in 83 Brad and I would meet up behind the old Burg grade school and play one on one. We had a blast. We would then sit and talk and he would always would bring up his Dad and how he really wasn’t fond of him.

I remember our Senior year, Brad had just scored 36 in a 20 point win over Portsmouth. It was one of the few games his dad came to watch. I was standing talking with Brad when his dad walked and Brad thanked him for coming and said to his dad did you see I scored 36. All his dad could say was, you should have scored 40. You missed 2 free throws and a layup. Not great game or anything. Just criticism. It was sad to see.
Heard that story. Always wondered if it was true. Very sad.

Didn’t really know Brad on personal level. My interactions with him were on that same playground at Burg.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:50 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:44 am
RBH23 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:43 am

Burg has good coaches, strong community support, good athletes…

But I think it’s the number of boys they have playing on the team that makes the difference; this year.

Having so many kids allows for more physical and competitive practices. During games, fewer kids go both ways, and coaches have more bodies to rotate in and out.

Burg has over 70 kids on the team. Now compare that to the rest of the SOC: Waverly is next largest with around 60; rest of SOC 2 in the 30’s.

Burg’s numbers are a huge advantage. If the other SOC schools had Burg numbers, the league would be far more competitive.

Quite a few kids on the field last night that didn’t play last week, especially Freshman. I don’t remember Burg ever playing a Freshman in my almost 50 years of watching Burg!!

I think they held there own last night and contributed quite well. The only name I can remember is Kenyon Evans. He ran the ball a few times and looked good.

I’ve heard some people talk about that class so they should be fun to watch the next few years.
Holden played as a freshman. Started at the end of the season due to injuries. I think one or two since have played as well.

But to your point, it is very rare.
there's been a few Freshman start and get playing time under Woodward. Been a few years now, but the class that had Wade Martin in it started 3 Freshman (including Wade). 2 others started on the OLine, can't remember who exactly, but definitely we're 2 others. Mitchell Warner and PJ Greeno maybe?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Huge road win for Burg that will generate a lot of playoff points going forward. The offensive line was absolutely dominant and Jones played a clean game (missed an open receiver on one long throw, but did a great job with his legs).

As others have said, penalties still a real issue. Couple of them appeared to be weak calls, but that probably to be expected when you're playing a nonconference game 2 hours away. I expect Burg to return the favor when McNick visits next year.

Burg needs to keep working on passing game and defense has some things to clean up this week as well. But overall, they look to be right on schedule to compete for SOC II and Regional Championships.*

Return to “Football”