Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

Mc1196
Riding the Bench

Re: Round 3. Ironton v West

Post by Mc1196 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:17 pm
NoseyRosey wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:14 pm People will talk about West losing the first game of the year, but teams change over the season as we saw last year when Burg knocked them off after getting blown out to start the year. Ironton has more talent but West is playing really well right now
Let them talk all they want. West should’ve honestly won that game. Fairland was a solid team but not the better team.

I was at fairland west game and fairland flat out played them

I think Ironton wins this game and I think it will be because they won’t be able to contain Perkins or the WR’s Ironton has. I think they’ll be fine in the run game.

FIDO
S

Re: Round 3- #5. Portsmouth West (11-1) Vs # 1. Ironton (12-0)

Post by FIDO »

Beergogglebluez wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:19 pm
FIDO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 pm On paper Ironton by 2 scores or greater. Then they play the game. Will it be streamed?
Will who dies Portsmouth will stream it but I hope my town makes it down as well
He was great last year during the burg tiger game. Itown would be a better production but something is better than nothing when ur 10k miles from the action

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

I think the Ironton skill group will be the key, west let Waverly score a boat load of points. If they can’t stop that I don’t think they win

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:52 pm I think the Ironton skill group will be the key, west let Waverly score a boat load of points. If they can’t stop that I don’t think they win
No disrespect to Irontons skill guys at all, but you said the same thing before the Burg game and comparing scores didn’t turn out to be a good indicator

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

This will be the first time West faces a balanced attack much like themselves, but with more athleticism. Ironton has a duel threat Quarterback as well. This game is a very tall task for West and staff.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

SiderBlood wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:14 pm
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:52 pm I think the Ironton skill group will be the key, west let Waverly score a boat load of points. If they can’t stop that I don’t think they win
No disrespect to Irontons skill guys at all, but you said the same thing before the Burg game and comparing scores didn’t turn out to be a good indicator
You’re correct about comparing scores but we can both agree that the Ironton skill group is better than waverlys. Again they play these games for a reason this just my judgment of it

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:35 pm
You’re correct about comparing scores but we can both agree that the Ironton skill group is better than waverlys. Again they play these games for a reason this just my judgment of it
They are better than waverlys but I also think waverly was better than given credit for. And it was kind of an outlier to be honest. It’s definitely no secret if west has an Achilles heel it is exploited on the big plays down the field. Most would say Portsmouth had an extremely powerful offense. They wracked up a lot of points this year and put together a pretty good season. We held them to 7 points. I know it will be a tall task for sure, but I think using the waverly game hasn’t been the best gauge. I credit a lot of that to the west coaching staff, I think they have done an outstanding job with these boys from motivating, play calling, preparedness and adjusting in the moment.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

SiderBlood wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:04 pm

They are better than waverlys but I also think waverly was better than given credit for. And it was kind of an outlier to be honest. It’s definitely no secret if west has an Achilles heel it is exploited on the big plays down the field. Most would say Portsmouth had an extremely powerful offense. They wracked up a lot of points this year and put together a pretty good season. We held them to 7 points. I know it will be a tall task for sure, but I think using the waverly game hasn’t been the best gauge. I credit a lot of that to the west coaching staff, I think they have done an outstanding job with these boys from motivating, play calling, preparedness and adjusting in the moment.
Even using Portsmouth though really doesn't compute because honestly outside of Ironton, no one in the OVC played defense this year. Ironton held Portsmouth to 7 twice, problem I see that West is going to have is that Ironton does have the capability to throw it all over the field and probably can on West sorry they're just not that good against the pass. At the same time West isn't going to be able to lineup to stop the the pass because Ironton prefers to run it, it's a dang if you do danged if you don't situation. You have to stop something or the West coaches have to be on their game in trying to stay ahead of the Ironton offense and hopefully hit the right defense at the right time.

Ironton does prefer to go downfield more so than sticking with the short stuff, so if West can limit the big play sustain drives this could be a good game. Ironton wasn't able to stop Hall for CG and that was the only thing CG could do at least West has the capability to get downfield with the pass. If I'm West I'm making this an ugly game playing keep away and see just how patient Ironton can be, all the pressure is on Ironton. Good Luck

basketballplayer123
Waterboy

Post by basketballplayer123 »

man oh man. don’t be surprised .

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

100% agree they’ve made it this far for a reason I hope to see West advance to represent the SOC

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

ItownFootball wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:09 am Hard to stop Perkins from Lucasville, Pittman from Ashland, Thacker from Ashland, Keyes from Mississippi, Fielder from Huntington WV, the noseguard from northwest, and the other players from rock hill and south point. Anyway, no one expects west to win since everyone who plays for them grew up on the west side.
Hating on kids…so small minded

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

greygoose wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:47 pm

Even using Portsmouth though really doesn't compute because honestly outside of Ironton, no one in the OVC played defense this year. Ironton held Portsmouth to 7 twice, problem I see that West is going to have is that Ironton does have the capability to throw it all over the field and probably can on West sorry they're just not that good against the pass. At the same time West isn't going to be able to lineup to stop the the pass because Ironton prefers to run it, it's a dang if you do danged if you don't situation. You have to stop something or the West coaches have to be on their game in trying to stay ahead of the Ironton offense and hopefully hit the right defense at the right time.

Ironton does prefer to go downfield more so than sticking with the short stuff, so if West can limit the big play sustain drives this could be a good game. Ironton wasn't able to stop Hall for CG and that was the only thing CG could do at least West has the capability to get downfield with the pass. If I'm West I'm making this an ugly game playing keep away and see just how patient Ironton can be, all the pressure is on Ironton. Good Luck

Couldn’t stop Hall? Did you not see the score?

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

That’s what I’m saying… he had 1 TD and 150 yards.

BigSpoon wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:10 am

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Ironton by 3 TDs

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Oh, I'm sorry did I talk about the score?? Nope I talked about Hall--153 yards on 24 carries or 6.4 yards per carry to the only player on CG that Ironton had to worry about stopping, so no they didn't stop him. When you stop a guy see you do like Kirtland did they knew they had to stop Ironton's rushing attack so in back to back years 48 yards rushing and 45 yards rushing as a team R. Carrico 11 rushes 35 yards in game 2. See that's stopping. 100% Ironton won the game and walked all over CG but the only game plan going up against CG is stop Hall or slow attempt to slow him down, didn't happen.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

greygoose wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:00 am

Oh, I'm sorry did I talk about the score?? Nope I talked about Hall--153 yards on 24 carries or 6.4 yards per carry to the only player on CG that Ironton had to worry about stopping, so no they didn't stop him. When you stop a guy see you do like Kirtland did they knew they had to stop Ironton's rushing attack so in back to back years 48 yards rushing and 45 yards rushing as a team R. Carrico 11 rushes 35 yards in game 2. See that's stopping. 100% Ironton won the game and walked all over CG but the only game plan going up against CG is stop Hall or slow attempt to slow him down, didn't happen.
Hall had two big runs and a TD in his first few Carrie’s then it was shut down city on him including a fumble.
Take those away he is looking at 75 yards for roughly a 3.5 carry or so.
Ironton made adjustments and shut hall down.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

Ironton needed that wake up call from Gallia they was sleep walking thinking they was unbeatable Gallia was a shocker.
Ironton is multi dimensional and West is a good team.
But I think Ironton will win by 3 scores and it will be close till after half time Ironton has depth and just to much skill position players to be slowed down.
Good luck Tigers may both teams come out healthy

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Reading all of these posts. The team that wins this game will be the one who takes care of the football. These are two fine teams who play this game the way it is supposed to be played. At this point in time all the weak teams are at home practicing basketball. We talk about the teams in Region 19 but there are some very good teams on the horizon in Canfield , Coldwater and Valley View who won't be push overs. Good luck to both teams.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fielddaddy wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:37 am Ironton needed that wake up call from Gallia they was sleep walking thinking they was unbeatable Gallia was a shocker.
Ironton is multi dimensional and West is a good team.
But I think Ironton will win by 3 scores and it will be close till after half time Ironton has depth and just to much skill position players to be slowed down.
Good luck Tigers may both teams come out healthy
You are not giving credit to west’s defense. Ignore the Waverly game.

21 point victory is not a stretch but I think it would be a tack on score late if it happens.

bluelioncrew
Waterboy

Post by bluelioncrew »

No skin in this game but I will be in attendance. Should be a slugfest, I'm predicting 24-17 Tigers

Return to “Football”