August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

RBH23
SE

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:05 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:25 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:02 pm

If somebody cant stomach trash talk then sports isnt for you. Find a church league to follow. 😭 I bet mayo is too spicy too huh?
Thanks for making my point that some Ironton fans on here just want to talk trash, and I’m completely fine with that.

But despite my best efforts, talking trash with you is very sad. Feel like I’m picking on a mentally handicapped person. Did you ride the short bus during your school years?

As for your church league comment… I was once a captain of a bball team in a church league. We lost a close game in the championship. Why did we lose? Half the team was out. My center and pg were arrested and considered accomplices in a recent murder while my small forward was on trial for armed robbery. Not all church leagues are created the same :)
Only in your head do ya not sound corny investigator. 😭 Tell me more of that church league team gone bad after school special you were mappin out for me my guy? Lmao

#lilsis
It’s a crazy story but 100% true.

I lived in North Canton at the time and was attending a large Nazarene church (around 900 members) located in Canton; on the border with North Canton. Was a very nice church that did a lot of outreach work in the community. Part of this includes opening the basketball league to others in the community, especially troubled youth and young adults.

Was my first year in the league. We played at Heritage Christian which is best known for Marylin Manson. Middle of the season, four young adults (two in their teens, two in their early 20’s) joined the league and were put on my team. All four had went to school at Canton Timken high school; one played fball for Akron but dropped out. Another played fball at Malone but also dropped out. None were good at bball, but they were really good athletes.

The kid who played at Akron and one of the others were arrested and questioned about a murder. Fortunately they were released due to lack of evidence to charge. Really don’t know if they did it or not, although I do know they were involved in many illegal activities.
The kid that played at Malone did go to prison; was very sad. Definitely a dangerous group of young men, but they were always cool with me. Never had a problem.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:11 pm After watching the burg inter squad scrimmage, the biggest thing that jumped out to me was how big the line is End to End. There are some big dudes, and it may be the biggest line I have seen Burg put out. Again we will see if they can hit, looked like it during the scrimmage, but you really can't tell what they want to accomplish out there with the teams mixed up.
I heard the same about the line. Also heard that Creed looked great along with the linebackers.

Just need the sophomore QB to grow up fast.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:53 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:11 pm After watching the burg inter squad scrimmage, the biggest thing that jumped out to me was how big the line is End to End. There are some big dudes, and it may be the biggest line I have seen Burg put out. Again we will see if they can hit, looked like it during the scrimmage, but you really can't tell what they want to accomplish out there with the teams mixed up.
I heard the same about the line. Also heard that Creed looked great along with the linebackers.

I think Rucker getting some reps last year with the varsity will be huge. If the line can give him some time, he will make the throws. What he will need to pick up on really quick is when to tuck it and run for positive yards. Can't just sit in the pocket and take sacks.

If the line is as big and strong as I have heard, they might not even have to throw the ball and just ground and pound it down the field.

I'm ready for some football and its two weeks away from today for the first game in the area!!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:55 am
RBH23 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:53 pm

I think Rucker getting some reps last year with the varsity will be huge. If the line can give him some time, he will make the throws. What he will need to pick up on really quick is when to tuck it and run for positive yards. Can't just sit in the pocket and take sacks.

If the line is as big and strong as I have heard, they might not even have to throw the ball and just ground and pound it down the field.

I'm ready for some football and its two weeks away from today for the first game in the area!!
Sounds like this is going to be a big battle in the trenches with both lines being huge.

FORREST
Waterboy

Post by FORREST »

FORREST SAYS: Obviously I will take the Pirates by 30🏆

Brutus SG
Waterboy

Post by Brutus SG »

I tried to post this a couple days ago but it says it has to be reviewed. I’m driving down from Columbus to finally see this game and was wondering where are some places to park and where is a good place to eat?

Brutus SG
Waterboy

Post by Brutus SG »

Hello, I have tried to post this a couple of times but it keeps saying the comment needs to be approved? Just wanted to know where a good place top park would be and if there is a good place to eat in Ironton before the game. I’m driving down from Columbus and cannot wait to see this game. Have been wanting to see this for quite sometime. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

wobycat wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:15 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm The burg lucked out on their tournament pairings. They somehow, miraculously, didn't have to play Kirtland or a MAC school. They would have been blown out otherwise.
Burg's championship was no fluke nor did they get lucky. The last two teams they played were legit. Beating them was quite an accomplishment. Saying otherwise shows lack of football knowledge.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 21 (53%), [2019] Kirtland (OH) 20 (47%)
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2022] Ironton (OH) 26 (73%), [2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 17 (27%)

The 2022 Ironton team was the best to come out of southern Ohio in 30 years plus. You’d have to go back to the 89 Ironton and 89 Burg teams to find a formidable opponent.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

GoBigI wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm The burg lucked out on their tournament pairings. They somehow, miraculously, didn't have to play Kirtland or a MAC school. They would have been blown out otherwise.
Burg's championship was no fluke nor did they get lucky. The last two teams they played were legit. Beating them was quite an accomplishment. Saying otherwise shows lack of football knowledge.

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

The 2022 Ironton team was the best to come out of southern Ohio in 30 years plus. You’d have to go back to the 89 Ironton and 89 Burg teams to find a formidable opponent.
2022 IHS is the most talented D5-D7 team in the history of Ohio high school football, but that didn’t always show up on the field.

Take the opening game against Burg that they won 12-3. If they played like that against the 2017 Burg team, Burg beats them by 3-4 scores. Same with the first half against VV and the game against SR.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:47 pm

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

2022 IHS is the most talented D5-D7 team in the history of Ohio high school football, but that didn’t always show up on the field.

Take the opening game against Burg that they won 12-3. If they played like that against the 2017 Burg team, Burg beats them by 3-4 scores. Same with the first half against VV and the game against SR.

Similar to 2018 for Wheelersburg , I think they had the likes of Salyers , Matthews , and the probably the best receiver in the state that year in Holden. They were heavy favorites to repeat as champions and were blown out in Jackson but a team who ran a very simple wing T type offense. Maybe Johnstown , I think it was.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

I disagree. Perhaps they could match up with the 2017 team of burg, but to stake claim that they were the best team fielded in 30 years after getting whipped in the state game is not a great claim.

I think the 2019 ironton team was the best in Pendletons tenure so far. They were terrific on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:08 pm

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Similar to 2018 for Wheelersburg , I think they had the likes of Salyers , Matthews , and the probably the best receiver in the state that year in Holden. They were heavy favorites to repeat as champions and were blown out in Jackson but a team who ran a very simple wing T type offense. Maybe Johnstown , I think it was.
Burg pretty much lost their entire line on both sides. They were good but not near as good as the previous year

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:33 pm

Burg pretty much lost their entire line on both sides. They were good but not near as good as the previous year
If I recall they didn’t even use Holden much. Was a head scratcher. Burg had so much more talent.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Yes, they lost that game 32-14 to Johnston. Not quiet Ironton/SR bad, but definitely an a$$ kicking.

Burg scored on the first/second play of the game, then got a 3 and out. After that, Burg O was basically “throw it deep into double coverage to Matthews or Holden” despite Salyers having open field in front of him to run. Burg O did nothing and the D wore down. Burg O coach should have been canned on the spot. Terribly called game; should have ran Salyers to keep the D honest.

Of course the Orville coaches were smart enough to recognize this and took advantage. Their QB who had a whopping 300 yards rushing all season, ran for over 200 yards and four touchdowns against Johnston.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:33 pm

If I recall they didn’t even use Holden much. Was a head scratcher. Burg had so much more talent.
When Burg got rolled by Coldwater, there’s not much they could have done differently. They were outclassed in talent, skill, and coaching. That lost was disappointing but really not shocking.

The loss to Johnston, especially how bad it was, was a shock. The coaches did not have a good offensive plan for the game, and it showed. Kids playing in the backyard could design plays on the fly that would have been better than what Burg called.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field

Burg was #3 that year in the final poll. They beat #2 in the regional final and lost to #4 in state semis. Orville was #11.

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/ ... -FINAL.pdf

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:07 pm

Burg was #3 that year in the final poll. They beat #2 in the regional final and lost to #4 in state semis. Orville was #11.

Crazy how much firepower they had on offense and was totally out coached

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 pm

The running game wasn’t good that year. However, it seemed like Salyers ran less his senior year versus his junior year. Were the coaches concerned about re-injuring his leg?

Frankly, I think they fell in love with the long ball. But coaching definitely wasted that firepower.

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

What happened to all that "superior coaching & culture & doin more with less" I hear burg fans talk about? #lilsis 😭

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:53 pm

The running game wasn’t good that year. However, it seemed like Salyers ran less his senior year versus his junior year. Were the coaches concerned about re-injuring his leg?

Frankly, I think they fell in love with the long ball. But coaching definitely wasted that firepower.
Can you find lil burg in this list?

#lilsis
Attachments
Screenshot_20230804_003003.jpg

Return to “Football”