D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: D III R12 Qtrs: #7 Jackson (10-0) at #2 Athens (10-0)

Post by WitnessProtection »

IronmenTradition wrote:People from the SEOAL like to talk trash and complain,
SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?
Confession is good for the soul, brother! :lol:

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Post by ucantcme »

WitnessProtection wrote:
IronmenTradition wrote:People from the SEOAL like to talk trash and complain,
SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?
Confession is good for the soul, brother! :lol:
Lets start a forum where you have to use your real name. I bet there would be less trash and more real talk about football. This is an even game. Athens will need to pass to win. Their running game has really fallen off since Skinner was hurt. With him out too much keying on Sharp and has been shut down. Germano not as good as Skinner but where they really miss him is Skinners running. He really opened up the run for sharp because of his keepers.

IronmenTradition
Riding the Bench

Post by IronmenTradition »

I am a Jackson fan and an SEOAL fan. I am just being honest here. SEOAL fans are usually full of themselves lol we all know it. In the past they had a reason to be, that was a loaded league when Logan was great, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Ironton, Jackson, Gallia Academy were all good teams. Now the league is slowing going down. Yes I believe SEOAL>TVC but not by very much anymore.
This is one of the best Jackson teams in the last 20 years, Athens has struggled against Jackson in these past years, looks like they better bring there best game come Friday.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Jackson... Big

I know some Athens coaches and players and wish them luck. But...Jackson BIG in this one.

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Random: In cases like this I really wish Athens, Nelsonville and the OHSAA could have gotten together and figured out a way to move the games to Peden Stadium on Friday. Yes, I know it would never happen but with both local schools having a game at the same day/time, and both opposing schools have great traveling fans, I think having the double-header there makes a lot of sense for everyone. It can handle all of the crowd (parking as well) it's not a true neutral site as it's in Athens so there is still some of that home-field feel to it and it would be good for the county.

/twocents

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

A double-header would be cool ... Athens and Nelsonville-York on one side - Portsmouth West and Jackson on the other ... Definitly would make the atmosphere unique.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

With that being said - it definitly concerns me that Devon Sharp's touches are slowly disinegrating throughout the second half of the season ... I'm doing the final TVC-Ohio leaderboard and Dustin Young of Nelsonville-York carried the ball 108 times over the last 5 games ... Sharp only recieved 77 carries? As opposed to leaning on your workhorse down the stretch - we seem to be abandon our run-game for some odd reason. Maybe there is a reason that I am not aware of. But seeing Young pound away at us Friday and watching NY almost come back to beat us because of it - made me think - why are we not trying to do the same with a 21-point lead and a talented tail-back in Sharp?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I love some great passing but it didnt seem that whoever was calling the plays was looking at the big picture.(eat clock, get first downs, move chains, win game in an easier fashion)

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

WitnessProtection wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:2003 was pure luck! We should have never tried to throw the ball 4 straight times inside the Jackson 10-yard line ... We had a great tail-back and did't even go to him.

:mrgreen:

Ah! Luck raises its ugly head again! You're not from Trimble, are you? :lol:
Sarcasm is hard to show in text and I'm sure he was grinning while typing. I know I02 and 93 are just having fun with each other and if you reread their posts in a sarcastic way as I know they intended there is some comic value there. :mrgreen:

Nybucks70-80
Varsity

Post by Nybucks70-80 »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:
Bishtakes wrote:Words of wisdom to those from Jackson traveling to Rutter Field. Wear boots as your footwear will get muddy. Take extra money due to the fact that the school parking lots were full and my wife drove down a side street looking for a parking space with no luck and had to pay a resident $10.00 to allow her to park in their driveway. I told her she was lucky because Dave and Jimmy had to pay $20.00 each. There is one entrance so depending on where you park, you might have to walk for a while. There were no port a johns on the visitors side.
The playing surface looked great, but everything outide of it is not fan friendly.
While these are areas that might get attention later as time and money allow, this is by no means a slam to Athens, just a few issues that we encountered last week.
We installed our turf 6 years ago at Boston Field, and we still have issues that we are dealing with trying to make it accomodating.
With that...Good Luck
We were in no way ready for the type of game/crowd that the N-Y game provided. The stadium is still in construction stage and nowhere near complete, I believe porta johns will be added for the playoff game and should have been for the N-Y game, parking will be greatly improved next year when the current/old softball field will be turned into a parking lot that I'd think will add 200 or so extra spaces. So while things aren't gonna be perfect its what we have to work with for the time being.
No way that will add 200 spaces...Maybe 50.

It took 20 min's to get to the restrooms from the visitors side. Ladies room had a line out the door at 6:30 The scoreboard end isnt finished..So you cant walk around that way.
Only 3 windows at the concession stand. .
And I know people who walked 1/2 a mile from where they parked....Jackson fans- get there early if you want to park at the HS. Even then you will have to walk Down and Up a hill.
No way Athens should host a 2nd round game (This year)

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

qualified101 wrote:With that being said - it definitly concerns me that Devon Sharp's touches are slowly disinegrating throughout the second half of the season ... I'm doing the final TVC-Ohio leaderboard and Dustin Young of Nelsonville-York carried the ball 108 times over the last 5 games ... Sharp only recieved 77 carries? As opposed to leaning on your workhorse down the stretch - we seem to be abandon our run-game for some odd reason. Maybe there is a reason that I am not aware of. But seeing Young pound away at us Friday and watching NY almost come back to beat us because of it - made me think - why are we not trying to do the same with a 21-point lead and a talented tail-back in Sharp?

I was thinking the same thing. I love some great passing but it didnt seem that whoever was calling the plays was looking at the big picture.(eat clock, get first downs, move chains, win game in an easier fashion)[/quote]
I told you guys in a previous thread about a previous game what was going on here and got lamb basted for doing it, so I won't say it again in an open forum.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

nybucks70-80 ... Depends on the game ... We hosted a 2nd round game in 2009 (I think it was Wheelersburg) and their was like 1/4 the fans their compared to last Friday.

A-Town Big Dog ... Posts have definitly been sarcastic ... After spending all season posting info & facts in conjunction with trivalleyconference.com; I decided to take a step back and just enjoy this weeks games.

I AM HOWEVER STILL KEEPING STUFF UPDATED ON THE SITE ... HERE IS THE FRONT PAGE PLAYOFF PICTURE OUTLINED: http://trivalleyconference.com/Home_Page.html

(The Mitch Rider-Austin Osborn photo is pretty cool.)

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

nybucks70-80 wrote:
A-Town Big Dog wrote:
Bishtakes wrote:Words of wisdom to those from Jackson traveling to Rutter Field. Wear boots as your footwear will get muddy. Take extra money due to the fact that the school parking lots were full and my wife drove down a side street looking for a parking space with no luck and had to pay a resident $10.00 to allow her to park in their driveway. I told her she was lucky because Dave and Jimmy had to pay $20.00 each. There is one entrance so depending on where you park, you might have to walk for a while. There were no port a johns on the visitors side.
The playing surface looked great, but everything outide of it is not fan friendly.
While these are areas that might get attention later as time and money allow, this is by no means a slam to Athens, just a few issues that we encountered last week.
We installed our turf 6 years ago at Boston Field, and we still have issues that we are dealing with trying to make it accomodating.
With that...Good Luck
We were in no way ready for the type of game/crowd that the N-Y game provided. The stadium is still in construction stage and nowhere near complete, I believe porta johns will be added for the playoff game and should have been for the N-Y game, parking will be greatly improved next year when the current/old softball field will be turned into a parking lot that I'd think will add 200 or so extra spaces. So while things aren't gonna be perfect its what we have to work with for the time being.
No way that will add 200 spaces...Maybe 50.

It took 20 min's to get to the restrooms from the visitors side. Ladies room had a line out the door at 6:30 The scoreboard end isnt finished..So you cant walk around that way.
Only 3 windows at the concession stand. .
And I know people who walked 1/2 a mile from where they parked....Jackson fans- get there early if you want to park at the HS. Even then you will have to walk Down and Up a hill.
No way Athens should host a 2nd round game (This year)
The softball field will hold way over 50! We had close to 100 in there for the Chillicothe game with the fense still up and people parking in all directions. The fenses will come down as will the equipment building and old visitors concession stand and the whole space will be parking. The estimated available parking will be around 200. Think of the space between Johnson Rd and the home locker room, it is probably 20 cars wide with door room and maitenence space factored in and will stretch back to High School dr., it should add around 200 with ease. I do agree that hosting a second round game this season is a bad idea for several reasons, limited parking, limited concessions, etc.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

It doesnt have to be Sharp to be effective. It can be any of your tailback/fullback combos. it is hard for me to believe that athens doesnt have a clockeater(for lack of a better word) formation/package for these situations. jmo.

I see logan scored 30+ on jackson. As a loganite and knowing what transpired in football this year, was this mostly in garbage time or during meaningful minutes? If it was meaningful minutes, i would be alarmed as a jackson fan because Logan had alot of trouble scoring points this year. Not trying to start anything, just wondering. Any thoughts?

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I consider Chris Russell our clock eater type of back, but he was returning from an injury against N-Y that kept him out of the second half against Alex and the entire game against Wellston and while he played very well on defense, I'm sure they were a little hesitant to over use him. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self this week and unless we fall behind early we'll run the ball a lot more.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

thx Atown.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

ACCBiggz wrote:Random: In cases like this I really wish Athens, Nelsonville and the OHSAA could have gotten together and figured out a way to move the games to Peden Stadium on Friday. Yes, I know it would never happen but with both local schools having a game at the same day/time, and both opposing schools have great traveling fans, I think having the double-header there makes a lot of sense for everyone. It can handle all of the crowd (parking as well) it's not a true neutral site as it's in Athens so there is still some of that home-field feel to it and it would be good for the county.

/twocents
Great idea! Massive gate!
First round games aren't neutral site anyway.

IronmenTradition
Riding the Bench

Post by IronmenTradition »

The Jackson Logan game was this first league game of the year. Jackson/Logan/Gallia games don't matter who is better or what the records are, they are the big dogs in the SEOAL and always have solid games against each other. Logan was definitely down this year and Jackson should have beat them worse than they did. That was probably the worse game the Ironmen have played all season. We had a snap over the punters head for a TD, gave up a long pass play, just sloppy play by Jackson in that game. Other than that game the Ironmen have been on fire, scoring nearly every time they have the ball, defense has been great, and special teams too.

What makes Jackson good is they have 4 players that can score any time they touch the ball whether it's a pass, run, interception, fumble, kick/punt return. #10 Austin Osborne QB/SS/KR/PR, #7 Drew Ervin RB/LB/PR/KR, #22 Tyson McNelly WR/C/PR/KR, #12 Morgan Landrum FB/LB. Every single one of these guys make huge plays on both sides of the ball. The key to Athens doing well is to not turn the ball over or let one of these guys bring back a long return on defense or kicks. Usually most teams are in the game in the first half until one of these guys breaks momentum on a long play.

Sharp worries me a little bit because although Jacksons good at defending the run he is a great fast back that could give us a ton of trouble. I think Jackson will do fine because Jackson is good at stopping the run. We are able to do that because our Corners are good enough to lock up 1 on 1 on the outside letting our safety's roam free wherever they need to go. If Athens starts to pass heavy then I think we will start to control the game clock and take over the game. Our DB's have done great this season and I don't think they will have to worry about the pass too much. Our d line puts too much pressure for them to pass the entire game.

I know that Athens QB is pretty darn good, but do they have really good wide receivers? I

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Schwarzel: 33 receptions for 569 yds and 2 TD's
Stanley: 15 receptions for 301 yards and 4 TD's
Sharp: 11 receptions for 209 yards and 1 TD.

Athens TE's like to catch the ball as well.

Maxson: 6-122 (1 TD)
Mack: 3-35 (3 TD)

ShoeHorn
JV Team

Post by ShoeHorn »

The preliminary plans show 225 parking spaces.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson opened up a 35-7 lead on Logan in the 2nd quarter. The Ironmen were very sloppy from that point forward. I don't think there's much to be taken from that game when evaluating Jackson overall.

Return to “Football”