Varsity

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:08 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:47 pm
GoBigI wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 pm

PROJECT A MATCHUP

neutral field
[2022] Ironton (OH) 26 (73%), [2017] Wheelersburg (OH) 17 (27%)

The 2022 Ironton team was the best to come out of southern Ohio in 30 years plus. You’d have to go back to the 89 Ironton and 89 Burg teams to find a formidable opponent.
2022 IHS is the most talented D5-D7 team in the history of Ohio high school football, but that didn’t always show up on the field.

Take the opening game against Burg that they won 12-3. If they played like that against the 2017 Burg team, Burg beats them by 3-4 scores. Same with the first half against VV and the game against SR.

Similar to 2018 for Wheelersburg , I think they had the likes of Salyers , Matthews , and the probably the best receiver in the state that year in Holden. They were heavy favorites to repeat as champions and were blown out in Jackson but a team who ran a very simple wing T type offense. Maybe Johnstown , I think it was.
Best wr where? 😭😭

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:32 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:07 pm

Burg was #3 that year in the final poll. They beat #2 in the regional final and lost to #4 in state semis. Orville was #11.

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/ ... -FINAL.pdf
Crazy how much firepower they had on offense and was totally out coached
What happened to all that "superior coaching & culture & doin more with less" I hear burg fans talk about? #lilsis 😭
Plenty of schools in Ohio have superior coaching to Burg. Just not Ironton.

I don’t drink the kool-aid and am willing to call Burg coaches out. You are unable to do the same when it comes to Ironton. Pendleton gets IHS beat 38-0 in the state title game? You still kiss his a$$. Would never criticize your god.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:33 am
RBH23 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:53 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 pm
Crazy how much firepower they had on offense and was totally out coached
The running game wasn’t good that year. However, it seemed like Salyers ran less his senior year versus his junior year. Were the coaches concerned about re-injuring his leg?

Frankly, I think they fell in love with the long ball. But coaching definitely wasted that firepower.
Can you find lil burg in this list?

#lilsis
Yes. According to OHSAA, Burg is #4. Oddly, Ironton seems to be missing.

Winning Percentages (minimum
695 & 500 games played)
.783 - Cincinnati Wyoming, 753-222-
48, 1931-2022
.750 - Massillon Washington, 932-299-
36, 1891-2022
.742 - Newark Catholic, 524-181-4,
1958-2019
739 - Wheelersburg, 526-184-6, 1956-
.725 - Youngstown Cardinal Mooney,
495-185-10, 1956-2019
.721 - Upper Arlington, 647-245-18,
1926-2019
.720 - Marion Pleasant, 433-165-11,
1962-2019
.712 - Steubenville, 822-323-34, 1900-
.712 - Avon Lake, 542-215-16, 1939-
.702 - Columbus St. Francis DeSales,
450-190-4, 1962-2019
.701 - Maria Stein Marion Local, 510-
216-7, 1955-2020
.701 - Kettering Archbishop Alter, 460-
187-0, 1964-2022
.700 - Covington, 517-218-13, 1947-
.699 - Akron Manchester, 550-236-3,
1942-2019
.696 - Canton McKinley, 846-358-42,
1894-2019
AA
§ ohsaa.org

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:33 pm
Ironmen98 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Similar to 2018 for Wheelersburg , I think they had the likes of Salyers , Matthews , and the probably the best receiver in the state that year in Holden. They were heavy favorites to repeat as champions and were blown out in Jackson but a team who ran a very simple wing T type offense. Maybe Johnstown , I think it was.
Burg pretty much lost their entire line on both sides. They were good but not near as good as the previous year
If I recall they didn’t even use Holden much. Was a head scratcher. Burg had so much more talent.

Holden didn't even want to play football his Senior year but what i heard is his buddies on the football team told him if he don't play football they won't play basketball. How do you go from Co DV offensive player of the year as a Junior to 2nd team all state as a Senior with the same QB and offense basically coming back.

Bottomline is he didn't want the ball his Senior year. Look at his numbers.
2017-87 catches for 1535 yards
2018-55 catches for 1014 yards. 32 less catches his Senior year. He wanted to focus on basketball and he told the coaches do not throw me the ball as much.I didn't go to the Johnston game but my brother told me they could have thrown to Tanner every play and probably scored but you could tell he didn't want the ball.Can't say I blame him. His passion was basketball and he knew that's what he wanted to play in college and he didn't want to get hurt.

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:33 pm

Burg pretty much lost their entire line on both sides. They were good but not near as good as the previous year
If I recall they didn’t even use Holden much. Was a head scratcher. Burg had so much more talent.

Holden didn't even want to play football his Senior year but what i heard is his buddies on the football team told him if he don't play football they won't play basketball. How do you go from Co DV offensive player of the year as a Junior to 2nd team all state as a Senior with the same QB and offense basically coming back.

2018-55 catches for 1014 yards. 32 less catches his Senior year. He wanted to focus on basketball and he told the coaches do not throw me the ball as much.I didn't go to the Johnston game but my brother told me they could have thrown to Tanner every play and probably scored but you could tell he didn't want the ball.Can't say I blame him. His passion was basketball and he knew that's what he wanted to play in college and he didn't want to get hurt.

Wow if your what you’re saying is true that speaks volumes about the staff and culture. I guess programs like Kirkland are rare.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I don't know what that has to do with the staff or the culture. They can't make the kid play and were probably just glad to have him because in Tanner's eyes, basketball was his ticket to college and why take a chance of blowing that getting hurt in HS football after he had already helped Burg get the big prize the year before.

Had his buddies not blackmailed him and that's basically what they did I don't think he plays at all.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:33 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:25 am

Wow if your what you’re saying is true that speaks volumes about the staff and culture. I guess programs like Kirkland are rare.
What does Holden not wanting to play have to do with staff and culture? It’s not Woodward’s fault Holden preferred basketball.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:44 am I don't know what that has to do with the staff or the culture. They can't make the kid play and were probably just glad to have him because in Tanner's eyes, basketball was his ticket to college and why take a chance of blowing that getting hurt in HS football after he had already helped Burg get the big prize the year before.

Had his buddies not blackmailed him and that's basically what they did I don't think he plays at all.
I believe he didn’t even want to play his junior year either but his dad pushed him.

During the Johnston game, I didn’t see Tanner getting open much. To your point, his heart did not appear to be into it.

football watched
Waterboy

Post by football watched »

I have a gut feeling burg comes out on top with a late td in the 4th. After seeing the team photo of ironton and seeing how many seniors they lost that were top athletes in the OVC, I just don’t think they’ll be as dominant as they have been. No doubt they’ll win the OVC but 10-0 and State Championship appearances in ironton are traditions. I just don’t think this year it’ll be that case

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:44 am I don't know what that has to do with the staff or the culture. They can't make the kid play and were probably just glad to have him because in Tanner's eyes, basketball was his ticket to college and why take a chance of blowing that getting hurt in HS football after he had already helped Burg get the big prize the year before.

I thought you said he played but didn’t want the ball thrown to him as much because he really just wanted to focus on basketball.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:34 am

I thought you said he played but didn’t want the ball thrown to him as much because he really just wanted to focus on basketball.
Pretty much!!!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:47 am
Ironmen98 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:34 am

Pretty much!!!!
Losing to Johnstown wasn't tanners fault or the coach's for that matter. Yes Tanner was a super talent but opposing teams blanketed him and game planned for him.

Here's some reasons why burg went down

1. Johnstown was really good and very hungry in that game, they wanted it more
2. Our line wasnt as strong on both sides
3. this was the game when middletown madison made that big stink with ohsaa. big distraction

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Wheelersburg logic:

When Ironton loses a big game, it’s because their coaches are morons!

When Wheelersburg loses a big game, it’s because their players are so good at other sports that they stop trying!

As for this year’s game, fans from both sides seem to think their teams are loaded. With the out of league schedules for each team, we will find out.

To me, the winner of this game will be the team that can move it effectively running and passing. Both teams have reason to be excited about lines, backs, and passing game. If either can make the other one dimensional, that’s a massive edge, given both defenses figure to be well coached and full of athletes.

Perhaps the biggest question mark for both teams is at quarterback. Both have a lot of potential but have yet to do it on Friday night. I could see both playing great and I could see both struggling.

Good news is we are 14 days from finding out.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:09 am Wheelersburg logic:

When Wheelersburg loses a big game, it’s because their players are so good at other sports that they stop trying!

As for this year’s game, fans from both sides seem to think their teams are loaded. With the out of league schedules for each team, we will find out.

To me, the winner of this game will be the team that can move it effectively running and passing. Both teams have reason to be excited about lines, backs, and passing game. If either can make the other one dimensional, that’s a massive edge, given both defenses figure to be well coached and full of athletes.

Perhaps the biggest question mark for both teams is at quarterback. Both have a lot of potential but have yet to do it on Friday night. I could see both playing great and I could see both struggling.

Both teams have talent, edge to Ironton for being at their place. Burg should be in this the entire contest and may sneak out with the upset but Ironton should be favored. Praying for a injury free game.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

I’d probably make Ironton around a touchdown favorite, probably less. Expecting higher scoring than the last couple of meetings for sure.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Selective reading on your part:

Have I been critical of IHS coaching? Absolutely. But read my posts about Burg coaching in 2018. Have been just as critical. Burg play calling against Johnston was atrocious.

As for “Burg players stop trying…”, we are talking about the true interests of ONE player, not multiple players. And frankly, this is well known and has been for over six years. Everyone at Burg knew his true love was bball.

Now back to 2023…

Agree that QB play is a huge question mark. I give the edge to IHS since they will be starting a senior. Sophomore making his first varsity start at the Tank is a tall task.

3rd Knuckle
Waterboy

Post by 3rd Knuckle »

Crazy rivalry for sure

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

RBH23 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am

Selective reading on your part:

Have I been critical of IHS coaching? Absolutely. But read my posts about Burg coaching in 2018. Have been just as critical. Burg play calling against Johnston was atrocious.

As for “Burg players stop trying…”, we are talking about the true interests of ONE player, not multiple players. And frankly, this is well known and has been for over six years. Everyone at Burg knew his true love was bball.

Now back to 2023…

Agree that QB play is a huge question mark. I give the edge to IHS since they will be starting a senior. Sophomore making his first varsity start at the Tank is a tall task.
Thacker was the starting QB for Ashland his Sophomore year, not like he’s new to the position, he’s going to be just fine.

Stats as a Sophomore:

122-181 completions for 1522 yards - 2 INT’s and 18 TD passes.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Cal Preps has Ironton by 17 I’d say Ironton -7.5

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Lol if you let the burg fans tell it Holden was a top rated two sport recruit that coulda played in the NFL or NBA. 😭

But the truth is: Holden WASN'T a highly rated recruit in EITHER SPORT AND HE WAS NOT 👈 NOT recruited in basketball by ANY blue blood program and last year when he finally got a chance to TRY to compete on a big stage -he didn't make an impression and then RAN back to his tiny pond.

No G league
No Drew league
No big 3
No NBA
No Kansas or Nova or Uconn
Not even a UC or Xavier look in state.
1 forgettable season warming a bench in Columbus and a career of swimming in a TINY forgettable pond.

Btw he's a grown man, not a kid anymore so you don't have to white knight for him.

Facts.

#lilsis

Return to “Football”