S

Re: WK 6 Jackson (4-1) @ Marietta (2-3)

Post by MariettaPride21 »

a game of turnovers

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I obviously didn't make it to the game, but I got some updates, talked to people who were there, and listened to most of the fourth quarter. Congrats to the Ironmen on a hard fought win. Seems as though Jackson was able to move the ball well on the ground once again with Brown, Huff, and Arthur all having good nights. Turnovers were a problem offensively...those have to be eliminated or the next four weeks won't go well.

I'm pretty worried about Jackson defensively. This is the second straight week where a team with a wide open offense pretty much moved the ball at will. The Ironmen need to play much better on the defensive side of the ball the rest of the season. They were able to get some key turnovers at opportune times, but they need to step it up against the pass, and even against the run.

Also, once again the killer instinct just wasn't there. Up 35-14 and the Ironmen got careless. They let Marietta march down the field and score to make it 35-21 and then didn't recover the onside kick, which led to yet another Marietta TD. Jackson HAS to finish out games...the 4th quarter is winning time...you can't let up!

All of that said, Jackson sits at 5-1 and the opportunities are there for the taking. The intensity and focus levels need to be through the roof from here on out. There's still a shot at a league title and the playoffs. Gotta play solid, mistake-free football the rest of the way.

Tough loss for Marietta. They're obviously very improved from a year ago and they have some talented players. Huge game for Wheeler...definitely one of the top backs in the league. Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the way.

MariettaPride21
S

one of the top backs if not the best

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Huff is pretty Impressive as well.....

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Sure is.

144 carries for 886 yards and 11 TDs through six games. Also an INT return for a TD.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

ironman02 wrote:Sure is.

144 carries for 886 yards and 11 TDs through six games. Also an INT return for a TD.

Any idea what the rushing record for Jackson in a single season is?

MariettaPride21
S

my vote is for wheeler over 450yds in the past 2 games :shock:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

loyaldevilfan wrote:

Just off the top of my head, I think it is about 2,300 yards by none other than Shane Wolford in 1997.

Shane had about 2,180 during the regular season to go with 34 TDs. I believe he had about 120 yards rushing and a TD or two in the playoff game against Youngstown East that year, bringing his total to somewhere around 2,300 yards and about 35 or 36 TDs.

This is all just from memory and isn't exactly correct, but it's close enough. The Jackson Football History Book doesn't have individual statistics...yet.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

MariettaPride21 wrote:my vote is for wheeler over 450yds in the past 2 games :shock:

wheeler is good as well but what are his season stats?

MariettaPride21
S

on the stats thread

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

ironman02 wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:

Just off the top of my head, I think it is about 2,300 yards by none other than Shane Wolford in 1997.

Shane had about 2,180 during the regular season to go with 34 TDs. I believe he had about 120 yards rushing and a TD or two in the playoff game against Youngstown East that year, bringing his total to somewhere around 2,300 yards and about 35 or 36 TDs.

This is all just from memory and isn't exactly correct, but it's close enough. The Jackson Football History Book doesn't have individual statistics...yet.

I was thinking around 2100 so I was close...yeah Shane was one of the most impressive backs I have seen...

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Just adding in what he had tonight to the stats from seoalfootball.com, I think Wheeler has about 721 yards rushing and 12 TDs. Extremely close between he and Huff.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

ironman02 wrote:Just adding in what he had tonight to the stats from seoalfootball.com, I think Wheeler has about 721 yards rushing and 12 TDs. Extremely close between he and Huff.

They are both valued assets to their respective offenses....

MariettaPride21
S

both fine fine athletes

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Here is the story in which my Marietta colleague Joe Davis of The Marietta Times sent me plus my additions at the end. If you click on the Marietta Times website, the box score is at the end of the report. Enjoy.

Ironmen bounce back, escape Tigers’ den

By JOE DAVIS
Special to The Times-Journal

MARIETTA — As a former standout running back, Jackson head football coach Shane Wolford knows the joy of setting goals and attaining them.

Thus, he could appreciate the fact that Marietta’s sensational passing combination of quarterback Cody Westbrook and senior receiver Sean Munfield both attained career records in their respective areas of expertise Friday night.

Even more, Wolford appreciated the fact that the Jackson Ironmen withstood a 249-yard passing barrage by Westbrook and still emerged with a 35-28 victory to dampen Marietta’s Homecoming game festivities at Don Drumm Stadium.

While Westbrook became Marietta’s all-time leader in career yards, jumping ex-MHS quarterback and current assistant coach Jason Schob, and Munfield supplanted Cody Kriechbaum as Marietta’s receiving yards leader, MHS senior tailback Perry Wheeler had another excellent individual game effort.

Wheeler rushed for 196 yards on 28 carries and accounted for all four Marietta touchdowns on runs of two, 38, five and five yards.

The Ironmen were able to prevail because Jackson had its own formidable offensive weapon with senior running back Cody Huff, who rushed for 126 yards on 21 carries.

When Huff got the Ironmen close to the goal line, senior quarterback Josh Brown usually did the scoring honors as he logged three touchdowns from 18, seven and six yards out.

Lukas Lindamood also turned in a momentum-swinging play, as he jumped the route on a screen-pass attempt, picked off a Westbrook aerial and returned 85 yards for Jackson’s first touchdown, countering Marietta’s first score.

Jackson (5-1 overall, 2-1 in the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League) took control in the second quarter, taking the lead for good as Brown faked a handoff to Huff and sprinted in untouched from 18 yards out at the 8:53 mark.

His run capped a seven-play series over 80 yards after a 32-yard field goal attempt by Marietta’s Zane Eschbaugh went wide left.

After Wheeler scored on a direct-snap play from 38 yards out, Jackson answered with a 10-play drive with Huff going over from one-yard out with only eight seconds left before halftime.

The key play on the series was a 34-yard run by Huff, as he cut into open field on the left side and eventually was chased down by Munfield.

Brown scored on Jackson’s initial possession of the second half, accounting for the lone score in the third period.

Brown added a six-yard TD run on a fake to fullback Klay Arthur and a run to the outside for Jackson’s last score, extending the lead to 35-14.

Marietta scrambled back into contention on Wheeler’s third and fourth TD runs — both coming within a span of 35 seconds as Garrett Kerr came up with the loose ball on an onside kick by Eschbaugh.

Kerr also had two fumble recoveries for Marietta (2-4 overall, 1-1 in SEOAL) on Jackson plays from scrimmage.

Brown also topped the century mark in rushing, carrying 15 times for 103 yards as Arthur added 52 yards — also on 15 totes.

As a team, Jackson amassed 287 yards on one carry shy of 50.

The Ironmen scored at least seven points in each period, including 21 straight to stake the 35-14 lead.

Ryan Mullins made good on all five of his extra points as Jackson, which trailed 7-0, scored five of the next six touchdowns.

The only thing the Ironmen didn’t have going for them were the team statistics.

Marietta held a 22-16 advantage in first downs, outgained Jackson 425-299, and lost none of its four fumbles compared to all four for the Ironmen.

Jackson returns to another Tigers’ den next week, that being the one of Tanks Memorial Stadium and the Fighting Tigers of Ironton.

It will be the third of three straight, and the final, road game for the Red and White this season.

Joe Davis is a sportswriter for The Marietta Times. Additional reporting by Paul Boggs, sports editor of The Jackson County Times-Journal.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

JJHale....Thanks for the kinds words on the preview article.

1959IRISHA
Waterboy

Post by 1959IRISHA »

ironman02 wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:

I was thinking around 2100 so I was close...yeah Shane was one of the most impressive backs I have seen...[/quote]
- Not only was Shane likely the greatest running back to ever play at Jackson but he was also a leader on what most people believe to be the two best teams of all time at Jackson High. TheIronmen made the post season in Shane's junior and senior seasons (96 & 97). In 1996 they made it to the regional finals where theyeventually lost to state power house Columbus Desales. Shane is the all time leading rusher at Jackson and he rushed for around 2300 yards during his senior season.

FROM http://sitekreator.com/ironman/page_of_fame.html

footballfan456
Waterboy

Post by footballfan456 »

how did #52 hughes do? any feedback i wasnt able to make it to the game

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Jackson came out and did what they had to do to win. I think we kind of shot ourselves in the foot at times but who ever makes the least amount of mistakes normally wins the football game. The refs did not call a good game for either side. Good luck to Jackson for the rest of the season.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

When Marietta has all eleven kids on the field going hard, they are pretty darn good. To many kids take plays off and don't give 100% every play. If they can do that, they will win games like last night.

Return to “Football”