State Semi Finals: Wheelersburg 15 Middletown Madison 10

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Re: Middletown Madison vs. Wheelersburg DV State Semi-Final

Post by #ReachHigher »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am Lmao 14svt is all over yappi! Said we are a terrible fan base!! Haha y’all are Missing out!!
Made an account but it never sent my email for me to verify my account so I can’t post anything. I seen him whining about when Burg came out and Johnnies were on the 50. Tell him I said that’s about the only time the Johnnies crossed our 50 the whole game haha

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 am
#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 am

Eastwood is favored by 9 with 78% chance to win. Could go either way I suppose
Like I said. I’d rather it be them. Burg would shut them down.
Do you think South Range is the best team left or best team other than us? As long as Burg don’t beat themselves, I don’t see any of the 3 beating us
Other than us. OF COURSE. They are the more balanced team out of the other 3. But I would rather get in a dog fight with Eastwood and have to stop the run than have to defend both run and pass. Both are wing T teams I believe. Just like this Madison squad is.

For us to even worry about it, Burg has to execute. One thing I’ve noticed, the seem is wide open. That kid couldn’t cover a peanut with a tarp if he head to.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 am
Like I said. I’d rather it be them. Burg would shut them down.
Do you think South Range is the best team left or best team other than us? As long as Burg don’t beat themselves, I don’t see any of the 3 beating us
Other than us. OF COURSE. They are the more balanced team out of the other 3. But I would rather get in a dog fight with Eastwood and have to stop the run than have to defend both run and pass. Both are wing T teams I believe. Just like this Madison squad is.

For us to even worry about it, Burg has to execute. One thing I’ve noticed, the seem is wide open. That kid couldn’t cover a peanut with a tarp if he head to.
Well in that case I hope Eastwood does win because we already know we can stop the run. I think Burg executes and rolls just like last week. Lmfao @ couldn’t cover a peanut with a tarp bahahaha 😂

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Well in that case I hope Eastwood does win because we already know we can stop the run. I think Burg executes and rolls just like last week. Lmfao @ couldn’t cover a peanut with a tarp bahahaha 😂
That’s my thinking. But whatever. Burg gets there, Burg will be ready for anybody.

Also on this game. The pump and go is there. They play tight man to man on every down. Never do they go to a zone. I think our athletes beat them every snap. Get off the bump and go. We ar faster. The oline HAS to keep their blocks. They have been getting penetration against everyone.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:41 pm

That’s my thinking. But whatever. Burg gets there, Burg will be ready for anybody.

Also on this game. The pump and go is there. They play tight man to man on every down. Never do they go to a zone. I think our athletes beat them every snap. Get off the bump and go. We ar faster. The oline HAS to keep their blocks. They have been getting penetration against everyone.
Yes I read that their D line is very good. Man to man, sounds like there may be enough butter spread around for everyone’s rolls for Thanksgiving haha

Da_Burg
Freshman Team

Post by Da_Burg »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Yes I read that their D line is very good. Man to man, sounds like there may be enough butter spread around for everyone’s rolls for Thanksgiving haha
:lol: Hell yeah! Johnstown loved them some Butter!! Who doesn’t love em some Butter!?

Reach Higher
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Lol. I think so. If they line him up in the slot he will be unstoppable. They may put a safety over the top but if they do that they lose a guy in the box. They run a 4-4 and use a linebacker to cover the slot.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Lol. I think so. If they line him up in the slot he will be unstoppable. They may put a safety over the top but if they do that they lose a guy in the box. They run a 4-4 and use a linebacker to cover the slot.
I’d love to see a linebacker on butter all night! Madison D line may give us a few fits here and there but I think this Burg team is just too good on D and too many weapons for them to handle. If they put a safety over the top you just dump it off to someone else
Last edited by #ReachHigher on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Da_Burg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

:lol: Hell yeah! Johnstown loved them some Butter!! Who doesn’t love em some Butter!?
I’d say there is quite a few teams this year that don’t love them some butter. Madison is probably the next

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

I was very impressed with the team speed by Wheelersburg Friday. The one play that JM running back(quick little guy) broke a long run on the far sideline your middle line backer chased him down. Pretty impressive. #35 I believe his number was.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:17 pm
I’d love to see a linebacker on butter all night! Madison D line may give us a few fits here and there but I think this Burg team is just too good on D and too many weapons for them to handle. If they put a safety over the top you just dump it off to someone else
Or just run a 12 yard dig from the slot and leave Holden 1 on 1 on the outside.

One thing I haven’t seen since probably Watterson, is that short crossing route. Where has that been?

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:40 pm I was very impressed with the team speed by Wheelersburg Friday. The one play that JM running back(quick little guy) broke a long run on the far sideline your middle line backer chased him down. Pretty impressive. #35 I believe his number was.
Lane Charles if he was about 5’9” a buck 70. I know the play you’re referring to. I want to thank Chillicothe for hosting these. Awesome to have 3 at Herrnstein. Not too bad of a drive and your stadium is second to none. Very nice!
Last edited by #ReachHigher on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm

One thing I haven’t seen since probably Watterson, is that short crossing route. Where has that been?
I’m not sure. Maybe keeping a little surprise in their pocket? It worked well against Watterson. They had no answer for it

Mash Potato
Waterboy

Post by Mash Potato »

Burg wins this game. Period. It'll be another week of the Dogg striking up the band

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm

I’m not sure. Maybe keeping a little surprise in their pocket? It worked well against Watterson. They had no answer for it
Yea. That’s what I thought. But they never tried it against Academy when we were down. So idk if they are. Maybe it’s just been lost. Could be that simple. 😂

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Da_Burg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 am In all seriousness, We are undefeated against Mohawks!
I see it staying that way.

We need 14 Svt back or something, it’s Monday and we only have 5 pages?
I know. I kind of miss her insane stats and unbeatable team posts. Now I hear she is running her mouth about us on another site. lol

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:37 pm
Da_Burg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:27 am In all seriousness, We are undefeated against Mohawks!
I see it staying that way.

We need 14 Svt back or something, it’s Monday and we only have 5 pages?
I know. I kind of miss her insane stats and unbeatable team posts. Now I hear she is running her mouth about us on another site. lol
Yea. But she’s just spewing right now. She got mad about the video. Lmao.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 am As for this game. Madison does run the wing t very well. The backs are patient and wait for holes to open up. Their qb doesn’t throw very good but he does carry out some nice fakes! Burg is going to have to stay home in defense and not over Persue the fake. Otherwise Madison will run all night long for 4 yards a pop..
Pretty much the same as the last two games. Stop the run and shut them down

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Watching the highlights from the Madison-West Jeff game and no way is Madison faster than JM. Sure, they did wait until the hole opened up but so did JM and guess what, not a lot of holes to hit. The Burg LB's fill those holes and cause all kinds of havoc for the offense. Look for the same to happen Friday.

Hope to see man to man on the Pirate receivers. Pretty tough bunch to match up with one on one. Just too many options for Trent to throw to. If he gets time he can stand in the pocket and pick the one he wants. If no one is open he does a nice job of tucking and running.

Is it Friday yet???

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

No question that this Wheelersburg team is one of the best in WHS history, but I seriously question as to it being the best every to come out of Scioto County. There have been a lot of responses about the 2000 and 2001 PHS teams, but the 1954 Trojans went undefeated, playing in the Greater Ohio League (Middletown, Hamilton, Springfield, Lima), and that PHS team featured Leroy Carr (Ohio State), Curt Gentry (Chicago Bears), Preston Smith, and Leo Brown. The schedule that the Trojans played was so tough that in many years PHS finished in bottom half of the league even with good teams.

Wheelersburg has a GREAT PROGRAM and OUTSTANDING football team, but to say that this is the best team ever to come out of Scioto County is a misguided statement. They could in no way compete with the Greater Ohio League teams or even the non-conference teams that Portsmouth played (Canton McKinley, Upper Arlington, Newark, Zanesville, and Cincinnati Elder), to name a few. To be fair, Wheelersburg is a much smaller school than the Portsmouth HS of the 1950's and 1960's, and that in itself makes a huge difference in comparing these teams.

The Portsmouth Trojans back then were playing in a different world, far removed from the local scheduling that existed in the rest of Scioto County and to an extent still exists today.

There is no debate, though, that the Wheelersburg football program is the current model for sustained success that no one else in the entire SE district is able to duplicate.

Return to “Football”