wheelersburg 2008

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Very true about Lang. If Lewis stays true to form, then Lang probably won't play on defense at all and that would be a shame. He is one of the hardest hitters on the team.

Taking Walker and Craigmiles off of the dline will be hard to do. Who do you replace them with? Those two caused alot of havoc on offenses this year.

Let's just hope they are able to get the turf put in, because if everyone thought this years team had speed, wait until next year.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

silvey will replace one of them and they won't miss a beat. its hard to leave 2 a your rbacks on the dline getting doubled the entire game and still expect them to spend much time at rb.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

NO DOUBT , WHEELERSBURG WILL PLAY THE BIG BOYS. ALWAYS HAVE. AND ARE REWARDED FOR IT. 8)

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Here is my initial take on next years lineup. If you remember on D Frowine and Silvey had some time on the D-Line this year. The major rebuild will be the OL as they were all seniors. Burg will have a very strong team again next season and are loaded at the skilled areas.

On D
NG - Silvey
DT Frowine
DT Adkins
LB White
LB Craigmiles
DE Hopper
DE ?
CB Shank
CB Walker
SS Lang
FS ?

On O
C Frowine
G Leach
G Adkins
T Maxie
T ?
TE/WR Hopper
HB/SB/WB Shank/Walker/Silvey/Craigmiles
FB White/Craigmiles
QB Lang

Jozef
Riding the Bench

Post by Jozef »

why in the world would Burg play Greenup County?

im sorry but we need to play better teams then that, our tough schedules has ALWAYS helped us in post season, and this is NOT a game we need.

tiger-fan67
Waterboy

Post by tiger-fan67 »

from what ive heard walker has never played corner and will never play it FS or SS will probably be his D spot next year

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

tiger-fan67 wrote:from what ive heard walker has never played corner and will never play it FS or SS will probably be his D spot next year

I bet he had never played NG or DT before either. :lol: never say never

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

Craigmiles at FB would be a waist. Keep him on D till his senior year. Keep him fresh. I would say LB with White or DE. Senior year, TB or FB it wont matter, he is good and will be strong enuff to play both ways all year. The kid is an animal! Not that he isnt able to play both ways now, I think he is a difference maker on defense and playing him 1 way his junior year is not going to hurt the team, he would definitley help it!

The oline this year had 1 starter returning. I figure we are in no better/worse shape come next year. The Sophs like frowine and Leach will be very good next yr. The kids who were on the undefeated frosh team a yr ago need to play. They are very good blockers and understand the scheme and their responsibilities. They DOMINATEd bigger kids and they were much smaller. VERSAILLES anyone?

Hopper will be fine. Roberson should play if he gets it together. 1 yr out though, he could get beat out for the job, should make him try better.

Shank, Walker at Rb in the wing or option. I like it! Hardnosed kids and Shank has the experience but walker is one tough cookie and may be as fast.

Lang at Qb. I dont know. Can he throw? We need to throw, more than you all think. The good seasons we have had with Lewis in the postseason are when we can pass. The Flex Lewis likes to run is shared between the oline doing their job and the line doing its job. If our line does a good job then the flex will be good. We should have a good oline next year or at least better than a group this year that exceeded all expectations imo. But if we run the flex or true option, how much will we pass? Can we pass out of that option with Lang at QB? Kaskey just went to the shotgun and threw the ball. Storey at QB, we went to win games. And we got it all year but when it came crunch time, we had no passing attack. CAN Lang throw the ball? I dont care about options and his running ability, I have seen how good that can be, I am talking about the post season and what Lewis can do on the spread and can Lang get both systems down like we want so we can be succesful both seasons, regular and post?

Kemper should be in the game plan alot. The kid has good hands and got alot of experience in JV role. With his size, I say split or TE. Hopper can fill the other role. Can Kemper block? Can Hopper? Hopper will be in the lineup because of his speed but Kemper needs to be in the mix because of hands and experience also. Good atheletes both.

Defense, Lang at Safety is good but if hes the qb, stay on the sideline. If not, he can play anywhere. Actually, I would play him at DE like Burleson did a few years ago. Get half the contact but if teams want to go at him, he can be the hitter that makes them go away. And what better way to say hello to an opposing Qb than to let Lang get a sack. WOW. That would be awesome.

I know I am forgetting some players. Stegman is a soph next year? Receiver? Isnt that all he has done for the last 5 years? Shanks younger brother? Good athelete. Hall definately needs to come back. I dont care about the problems last year, he is needed and we all need to keep talking to him on here! Let bygones be bygones, he is a good athelete and will get his chance sometime in the near future if he gets back in!

GO BURG!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

DEManiac,

Why would Craigmiles at FB be a waist in the option set. Splitting he and White should keep them both fresher on D. And this would give both he and white more chances to run the ball.

I wonder if the coaches will move Craigmiles and Walker from the DL based upon the D's success this season. It would be hard not to want them back there.

Don't look for Robertson to come out next season either. At least that is what I understand from close sources. Wish he would as he could really help on the OL and DL.

Lang can throw pretty well but the concern would be his accuracy and distance. Although a short passing game is a big key in HS. 5-10 yards a pop and move the chains. Go deep when D gets too agressive on the short routes. I agree we should continue to throw the ball. Probably not like this season but a decent mix of both. We have the players to make the plays.

Not sure about Kemper but I think he'll get a chance somewhere on O or D. I did not think he ran any receiver spot on JV this season. Only QB so I'm not sure about his experience. Hopper can block as they used him this season almost exclusively in the TE set to keep Conley fresh for D and he did pretty based upon watching game film. Seems to stay with his block most of the time. Both Kemper and Hopper can catch and bring size. Hopper has decent and deceiving speed with good leaping ability. Not sure of Kempers speed or blocking but the O can utilize and work on both. Both can contibute on O somewhere.

Lang is probably too small for DE height wise in my opinion. Maybe move to FS but this takes him out of making many tackles. His SS position fits him well but can he take the punishment at QB and SS for a season?

Not sure if Stegman will be ready for the step to Varsity but with his size he may help on the OL/DL. Younger Shank may be able to step into one of the DB roles.

I have mixed feelings about Hall. The concern for me is accepting his role on this team. Maybe a year off has humbled him a bit. He seems to be a good kid and could definitely help this team.

I guess we have a whole year to talk about it!

oldschooler
Waterboy

Post by oldschooler »

Craigmiles will be at LB with White next year. Lang can do anything he needs to do, run, throw deep, short, but we will run a lot next year. Walker will stay on the line because he is mean.

Demaniac, no one has a problem with Hall. Not sure what bygones you are talking about, I'll talk about him when he does something to talk about. I have a real problem with people saying this and that about a player, and making excuses for them. Every opportunity to play

Buldog, wasn't being odd singleing out a specific player, you were talking about next season and I was giving my opinion

Burg will be a running team next year, some won't like it, but we will watch. Little Schankie will see playing time next year, and will be fun to watch brothers play together. I think the last time that happened was the Peaches.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i heard today from a realible source within the school that this is how the 08 schedule looks

week one - home v.s. ironton
week two - away v.s. south point
week three - home v.s. portsmouth
week four - away v.s. greenup co (1 yr deal with possible 3 more years)
week five - home v.s. rock hill (4 yr deal)
week six - away v.s. valley
week seven - away v.s. waverly
week eight - home v.s. northwest
week nine - home v.s. minford
week ten - away v.s. west

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Where's Coal Grove dogg?

You kept saying all along that they were playing the Grove and we tried to tell you that as long as Dave Lucas is at CG, they won't be playing the Burg. He got tired of losing to them in the regular season and it knocking them out of the playoffs.

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

Didnt mean to offend anyone or cause any probs on here. You guys know Im aggressive poster and sometimes I dont have my facts so straight seeing that most posts go so fast and alot of us dont have time to post alot because of work etc... but we love coming on here and giving opinions and whatever other knowledge we know of or have heard.

To my last post and responses:

Craig is too good defensively to play a position that white has done for 2 years. Its obvious that White will play FB his senior year even though I think he would be better at the OL position as much as we get run blocks. The option may get him more yards this year but not like Timberlake or Pyles did. They were smaller and quicker and better runners than White imo. Not saying white cant run, just havent seen it happen in 2 yrs he has been the fb. Craig would definitely be a better option IMO in the option run scheme if White was on the line, but it wont happen. So, leave Craig on D exclusively and let White get the running game for the Burg going next yr. Only thing I keep wondering is can Craig play RB? I think I saw him do some good running in his frosh year much like Stamper this year. If its the Wing T then no. If the option then he could be a tough and fast RB and sub with shank. How about WR? More confusing every time I get on here. He is such a good player.

Lang at DE is not that far off. He isnt so small that he cant play it and he is fast enuff to get to the QB and is strong enuff to take on blocks and make tackles. He is a good tackler and if we run the option, it wont hurt him that much to play both positions. He played LB all year till the Freddies game and that says alot for a soph. If Spradlin would have gone done with an injury, Lang would have filled in and I dont think he would have been subbed in his defensive position. So DE would get him half the hits and get him alot of chances to hit a QB and cover the flats against receivers, and cover receivers like vs Waverly.

kemper I do believe played WR or something during practices. I know he was WR in frosh. I know he QB'd for JV but we had to have someone with only 12-14 players available? That tells me the coaches think he is an athelete and he did do a good job. Hopper or Kemper at TE. Both have good height and Hopper we know has speed. If hopper at TE, then who spreads the field? If we come out of a Wing T to throw, I think Kemper comes in!

Hall needs to come back. Good athelete, team needs him. I wont say anything more.

I still like Shank at RB of course, but Walker needs to rotate with him. And Walker needs to stay on the Dl also if possible. I remember seeing a Peach go both ways. And he was a tough runner! Very quick and played the FB position if I remember correctly.

SO, here is MY D, and O, for next year! YEAH...

Offense: Oline: Center - Frowine
Gaurds- Maxie, Adkins
Tackles Roberson, Leach, Bentley, Allard

Skill positions: QB - Lang
RB - Shank, Walker, White, Craigmiles
TE - Kemper
SE - Hopper
WR - Hopper, Stegman, Craigmiles, Kemper

Defense: Dline: NG - Walker, Little Shank
DT - Adkins, Leach
DE - Craig, Lang, Hopper
LB - White, Hopper, Lang
FS - Little shank
SS - ?
CB - Hopper, Shank

Getting very tough to call because I dont know all the atheletes coming up next year from the frosh team and who knows what some of these juniors and sophs that didnt play 1st string this year can do for the team next year, ie.. Lewis, McNeal, Silvey, Scott, Horner, Hacker, Allard. I didnt see riepenhoff doing so well at LB and all of a sudden, he made a believer out of me in the Jackson scrimmage! And look what happened.

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Where's Coal Grove dogg?

You kept saying all along that they were playing the Grove and we tried to tell you that as long as Dave Lucas is at CG, they won't be playing the Burg. He got tired of losing to them in the regular season and it knocking them out of the playoffs.

how many times have they made the playoffs since they quit playin burg

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

Didn't Coal Grove play the burg regularly when Lucas was there the first time around? I believe they did. He also played Gallia academy regularly. Correct me if I'm wrong. :?

fblvr
Waterboy

Post by fblvr »

Yes, Coal Grove and Burg did play regulary. The overall series was 15-8 Burg.

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

Any ovc team would be a great pickup for burg in terms of Playoff points but will that make us any better once we get in? I think we are in the Ironton and Portsmouth syndrome where we have a really good team but we dont play the competition to make ourselves better in week 11. Oh well, Like Lewis says every year, you set 2 goals, SOC2 champs, state champs. What else do any of us want?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

TigerMack wrote:Didn't Coal Grove play the burg regularly when Lucas was there the first time around? I believe they did. He also played Gallia academy regularly. Correct me if I'm wrong. :?

Yes, they used to play in the regular season every year for quite a few years. I think that after the Burg beat them in the regular season and then knocked them out of the tourney on a couple of occassions that Lucas decided he wasn't going to play in the regular season anymore.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

craigmiles may move back to linebacker. If he plays like he wants to. Walker will most likely stay a down lineman, he might play SS, but i see him staying at nose or tackle.. he is a strong fast kid, and a very good football player, but I dont know if he has the feet and cover skills to play SS. As for the Offense, look for the flex and the option again. Burg wont be as athletic this year in the backfield and that will hurt their passing game.. they should be able to run the ball well though, until they run into a physical defense like st. c from last year.. I dont think any teams on the sched have that type of d though so it may not be until the playoffs that their weaknesses offensively are exposed.. much like 05. I think this team has a better chance at being very successful than 05 did because of lang at qb.. he will give burg a chance to win because they CAN be two dimensional, idk if they will make the plays, but it is possible, as opposed to 05. Burg needs to have some kids really work hard in the off-season to be a very good football team. lang, Walker, Adkins, Cmiles, shanke, white, hopper, frowine, and leach. These are all good players, but to take it to the next level they need to work their buts off in the offseason. In doing this burg will need a few others to follow and emerge in their footsteps as good hs football players. One thing about this years team was burg did not have one bad player on either side of the ball.. I hope these kids work hard and keep the tradition going at the burg.!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
TigerMack wrote:Didn't Coal Grove play the burg regularly when Lucas was there the first time around? I believe they did. He also played Gallia academy regularly. Correct me if I'm wrong. :?

Yes, they used to play in the regular season every year for quite a few years. I think that after the Burg beat them in the regular season and then knocked them out of the tourney on a couple of occassions that Lucas decided he wasn't going to play in the regular season anymore.

hey 77 how many times have they made the playoffs since they quit playin burg

Return to “Football”