Great Article in Messenger: Athens ends SEOAL football ties

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

For around 40 years, there was no change in SEOAL membership. By the end of the 1920s, Portsmouth, Ironton, and New Boston left the SEOAL. From that point until the late 1960's, the SEOAL looked like this:

Athens
Gallipolis
Jackson
Logan
Middleport
Nelsonville
Pomeroy
Wellston

In 1967, Pomeroy and Middleport consolidated (along with Rutland) to form Meigs. Nelsonville and Buchtel-York also consolidated that year to form Nelsonville-York. Since Pomeroy and Middleport consolidated, that would have created an opening in the league for a new member to join. This is when Ironton joined the league for the second time.

In 1967, the SEOAL looked like this:

Athens
Gallipolis
Ironton
Jackson
Logan
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
Wellston

In 1969, a new league was created called the Tri-Valley Conference. This new conference was created in the wake of all of the school consolidations that had occurred in the previous decade. It was created in part so recently consolidated schools such as Vinton County and Warren would have a league to play in. Unintentionally, the new league would alter the makeup of the SEOAL as well.

In 1970, Nelsonville-York became the first long-time SEOAL member to leave the league for the TVC. They were joined in 1982 by Wellston and in 1983 by Meigs. And of course Athens will be the latest SEOAL charter member to join the TVC in 2008.

When Nelsonville-York left in 1970, this created an opening in the league and it was filled by Waverly. Waverly only stayed in the SEOAL for 13 seasons and was back in the SOC in 1983. After the 1984 season, Ironton also left the SEOAL.

With the losses of Wellston, Meigs, Waverly, and Ironton, the SEOAL was in danger of being down to only its 4 charter members - Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, and Logan. At the time, Marietta was interested in joining the SEOAL and joined in 1985 to fill the void left by Ironton leaving. In 1986, Warren decided to leave the TVC for the SEOAL.

So by 1986, the SEOAL looked like this:
Athens
Gallipolis
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Warren

In 1994, in the wake of consolidation, a new school district was formed in Gallia County - River Valley. River Valley was initially offered a chance to join the TVC, but turned it down in favor of joining the SEOAL. In 1996, Point Pleasant joined the SEOAL, which created an 8 team league.

Neither River Valley or Point Pleasant remained in the SEOAL very long. River Valley left the SEOAL after the 2001 season, and Point Pleasant left after the 2003 season. The SEOAL was then back down to six members for the 2004 season.

It was at this time that the SEOAL looked to expand again. Since no school in the immediate area of the existing members wanted to join, the SEOAL decided to expand its coverage area one more time, and brought in former members Ironton and Portsmouth and new members Chillicothe and Zanesville. This created the current 10 team league that began in 2006.

In 2008, the SEOAL will be down to 9 members, as Athens joins the TVC.

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:For around 40 years, there was no change in SEOAL membership. By the end of the 1920s, Portsmouth, Ironton, and New Boston left the SEOAL. From that point until the late 1960's, the SEOAL looked like this:

Athens
Gallipolis
Jackson
Logan
Middleport
Nelsonville
Pomeroy
Wellston

In 1967, Pomeroy and Middleport consolidated (along with Rutland) to form Meigs. Nelsonville and Buchtel-York also consolidated that year to form Nelsonville-York. Since Pomeroy and Middleport consolidated, that would have created an opening in the league for a new member to join. This is when Ironton joined the league for the second time.

In 1967, the SEOAL looked like this:

Athens
Gallipolis
Ironton
Jackson
Logan
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
Wellston

In 1969, a new league was created called the Tri-Valley Conference. This new conference was created in the wake of all of the school consolidations that had occurred in the previous decade. It was created in part so recently consolidated schools such as Vinton County and Warren would have a league to play in. Unintentionally, the new league would alter the makeup of the SEOAL as well.

In 1970, Nelsonville-York became the first long-time SEOAL member to leave the league for the TVC. They were joined in 1982 by Wellston and in 1983 by Meigs. And of course Athens will be the latest SEOAL charter member to join the TVC in 2008.

When Nelsonville-York left in 1970, this created an opening in the league and it was filled by Waverly. Waverly only stayed in the SEOAL for 13 seasons and was back in the SOC in 1983. After the 1984 season, Ironton also left the SEOAL.

With the losses of Wellston, Meigs, Waverly, and Ironton, the SEOAL was in danger of being down to only its 4 charter members - Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, and Logan. At the time, Marietta was interested in joining the SEOAL and joined in 1985 to fill the void left by Ironton leaving. In 1986, Warren decided to leave the TVC for the SEOAL.

So by 1986, the SEOAL looked like this:
Athens
Gallipolis
Jackson
Logan
Marietta
Warren

In 1994, in the wake of consolidation, a new school district was formed in Gallia County - River Valley. River Valley was initially offered a chance to join the TVC, but turned it down in favor of joining the SEOAL. In 1996, Point Pleasant joined the SEOAL, which created an 8 team league.

Neither River Valley or Point Pleasant remained in the SEOAL very long. River Valley left the SEOAL after the 2001 season, and Point Pleasant left after the 2003 season. The SEOAL was then back down to six members for the 2004 season.

It was at this time that the SEOAL looked to expand again. Since no school in the immediate area of the existing members wanted to join, the SEOAL decided to expand its coverage area one more time, and brought in former members Ironton and Portsmouth and new members Chillicothe and Zanesville. This created the current 10 team league that began in 2006.

In 2008, the SEOAL will be down to 9 members, as Athens joins the TVC.

NYBuckeye96,

By the way, great post and history of the SEOAL and TVC.

Do you know who all the charter members of the TVC were in 1969?

New Boston left the SEOAL I believe in 1935. I'll check on it. I think Athens left the SEOAL for 1 or 2 years too. In 1929 or 1930?

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

WOW!!!! :shock: :shock:

NICE JOB GUYS!! OUTSTANDING POSTS!! THERE IS ALOT OF LEAGUE HISTORY FROM THIS AREA. ;-)

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Nice article about the Bulldogs.........

Army, Ironton was the last AA state champion in 1979 not 1969.......you might want to take that 1969 out of your post above........ ;-)

Army
S

Post by Army »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:Nice article about the Bulldogs.........

Army, Ironton was the last AA state champion in 1979 not 1969.......you might want to take that 1969 out of your post above........ ;-)

Corrected, Thanks

Army

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

Army,

TVC charter members were Belpre, Federal Hocking, Vinton County and Warren. The league formed in 1969. Nelsonville-York was admitted in 1970, Alexander in 1973, Trimble in 1978, Wellston in 1982, Meigs and Miller in 1983. Warren left in 1986. After Eastern and Southern were admitted in 1993, the TVC divided into the Ohio and Hocking Divisions.

Belpre, Meigs, Nelsonville-York, Vinton County and Wellston made up the Ohio Division and the remainder were in the Hocking Division.

That arrangement lasted until Waterloo was admitted and placed in the Hocking Division in 1997, at which time Alexander switched over to the Ohio Division. And that is where the TVC stands today.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

ALL THESE years i never knew warren was in the tvc :oops:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

1992 was in reality the last year their was a unified TVC. When the divisions came in 1993, it marked the beginning of the end of unity within the conference. When you don't play teams in the other division OR if you do play them and they don't count in league standings, that is not a league rival. With additional expansion in the TVC OHIO, there is even more seperation between the Ohio and Hocking Divisions. They are essentially two different leagues.

TVC OHIO in 2008 -
Alexander
Athens
Belpre
Meigs
Nelsonville-York
Vinton County
Wellston

Of these seven schools, four came from the SEOAL originally.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

how long do you think athens will stay

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

does the tvc offer soccer :?:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I think Athens is here to stay in the TVC. A large majority of the people at Athens wanted this move to happen. Most of the coaches wanted it, and all of the administrators wanted it. When it was voted on by the school board, it was a unanimous vote to leave the SEOAL and join the TVC. It is more economical to be in a local league then one that spans 25% of the landmass of the state. I'm sure if other teams in the SEOAL had a chance to join a local league, they would take it in a heartbeat. Zanesville would jump at the chance to join the ECOL or MVL, but those leagues chose not to offer Zanesville membership. Likewise, I'm sure Portsmouth or Ironton (unless they wanted to be independent again) would seriously consider joining the SOC, but the SOC chose not to offer these schools membership. The TVC chose to offer membership to Athens and Athens accepted.

The TVC does not offer soccer. Athens, like Alexander, will play an independant soccer schedule. Their is even talk about forming an independant soccer league for schools that have soccer, but are not in a league that offers soccer as a league sport.

It is a good move for everyone involved.

This type of move is a major decision and isn't taken lightly. None of the other SEOAL schools that left for the TVC ever returned to the SEOAL and I think the same will apply to Athens.

Offsides
Waterboy

NYBuckeye-An Outstanding Post! Tremendous History!

Post by Offsides »

I want to thank NY Buckeye, Logan Locos, and all of you other interested posters for this tremendous review of the formation and operation of both the SEOAL and the TVC.--Some of these details I have known for over 60 years, but had forgotten due to old father time working on the old brain. -I'm really happy that we do have some younger, more intelligent, sports junkies in southern Ohio who have a vested intrest in history.-One of these days Old Sportfolio, Jottings, GAHS 4-ever, Tigertown, and other older guys will be gone, so I'm glad to pass the torch to this alert younger generation who can keep up with both the past, present, and future of athletics in southern Ohio.-Thank all of you very much!

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I think Athens is here to stay in the TVC. A large majority of the people at Athens wanted this move to happen. Most of the coaches wanted it, and all of the administrators wanted it. When it was voted on by the school board, it was a unanimous vote to leave the SEOAL and join the TVC. It is more economical to be in a local league then one that spans 25% of the landmass of the state. I'm sure if other teams in the SEOAL had a chance to join a local league, they would take it in a heartbeat. Zanesville would jump at the chance to join the ECOL or MVL, but those leagues chose not to offer Zanesville membership. Likewise, I'm sure Portsmouth or Ironton (unless they wanted to be independent again) would seriously consider joining the SOC, but the SOC chose not to offer these schools membership. The TVC chose to offer membership to Athens and Athens accepted.

The TVC does not offer soccer. Athens, like Alexander, will play an independant soccer schedule. Their is even talk about forming an independant soccer league for schools that have soccer, but are not in a league that offers soccer as a league sport.

It is a good move for everyone involved.

This type of move is a major decision and isn't taken lightly. None of the other SEOAL schools that left for the TVC ever returned to the SEOAL and I think the same will apply to Athens.

NYBuckeye96,

I think it was the best move Athens has ever made concerning there sports programs for the kids. I would like to see a forgiving spirit from all the TVC Schools for Chesire (River Valley) who now plays in the OVC for rejecting the first time offer in the 90's to play in the TVC when the 4 Gallia County Schools consolidated to form River Valley, and instead at the last moment they opted to join and play in the SEOAL. That didn't last long before they left for the OVC. They have not been very successful in the OVC either. Just my personal thought, I think they would be a great 8th team to round out the TVC Ohio. They will be close enough to all the Ohio Division Schools with maybe exception of Belpre. There new high school is going to be located at Bidwell close to the middle school on Rt. 160.

If not them, I have seen the talk on here about Crooksville from the MVL but I really doubt that VC or Wellston would be a yes vote for them to come into the TVC Ohio to be the 8th team.

Others have mentioned that Warren Local would be a great 8th team and letting them back in the conference would be a benefit. I am not sure Meigs, Wellston, VC and Alexander would vote yes in favor of there return. It would give the TVC 3 soccer programs, but I think Warren Local would rule in several sports except Football. I don't know how Athens would feel about Warren Local petitioning to re-enter the TVC either?

Two other's mentioned was Point Pleasent, WV but we all remember the scheduling mess when they were in the SEOAL. Due to WV and Ohio playing later and earlier?

Another possibility that has re-surfaced is, having Division 5 Stewart Federal Hocking or Glouster Trimble D6 move up to the Ohio Division from the Hocking Division. I think all members from the Ohio Division would vote yes for this format, especially with all the Ohio Division Teams familiar with Federal Hocking and Trimble.

I do know in the past that Jackson has been attending some of the TVC meetings, but I doubt if they even have a snowballs chance of being invited to join the TVC Ohio. They would rule everything except Basketball, and Basketball has never been much of a priority at Jackson.

My pick would be River Valley. Close enough school and has ties of playing against several TVC Schools in several sports. Look at the rivals.

Athens-Alexander
Wellston-Vinton County
Meigs-River Valley
Belpre-Nelsonville-York

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

nybuck96 i think it will start a domino effect :!:

Army
S

Post by Army »

91blue14 wrote:nybuck96 i think it will start a domino effect :!:

91blue14 / nybuck96,
Who do you see as the possible invite for the 8th team to round out the TVC Ohio Division that all TVC Ohio Division Schools could come to an agreement and promote a majority yes vote :?:

I do see a domino effect with a possible break off of the 5 South Division SEOAL Teams forming a new league with the three major SOC II Teams. There has been rumors flying? But we will have to wait and see. You know how rumors go. If that did happen the league would be a true SE-Ohio League. Mainly Ohio and Scioto River Teams consisting of;

1. Chillicothe D3
2. Jackson D2
3. Waverly D4
4. Portsmouth West D5
5. Portsmouth D4
6. Wheelersburg D5
7. Ironton D4
8. Gallipolis D4

Word also has it that there could be a few TVC Ohio and Hocking Division Teams leaving along with a OVC Team and SOC I Teams forming a League that disbanded in the early 90's? The SVAC.

1. Wellston D4
2. Racine Southern Meigs D6
3. Reedsville Eastern Meigs D6
4. Oak Hill D5
5. Willow Wood Symmes-Valley D6
6. Chesire River-Valley soon to be Bidwell River-Valley D4
7. Mercerville South Gallia D6

Respectfully

Army

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I think Warren Local would be a great addition to the TVC. I think they are closer than Belpre. Jackson is too big. Aren't they DII? I could be wrong about that one.

Army
S

Post by Army »

buckfan84 wrote:I think Warren Local would be a great addition to the TVC. I think they are closer than Belpre. Jackson is too big. Aren't they DII? I could be wrong about that one.

Yes Jackson is D2. Even though that is Wellston's arch-rival and they play Vinton County and have Athens in the SEOAL, plus Nelsonville-York in past history along with Meigs while they were in the SEOAL, the TVC would be foolish to let them in. They would most likely run the table in almost every sport within the TVC Ohio, year in and year out.

Warren Local would be a closer fit than Belpre, I agree, and could be defeated by several Ohio Division Teams and even some Hocking Division Teams in Football, but Warren would run the table in a lot of the other sports like basketball, baseball, and some girls sports.

I don't see Vinton County, Wellston, Meigs and Alexander voting yes for them to come back in the TVC. Maybe I am wrong, but I got the feeling when talking to Warren Fans at the Basketball playoffs last season that they left the TVC because it was below there standards. I am not sure if the TVC Ohio Teams want them back. Didn't they even have Athens number in Football the past couple of years?

I like the idea of letting River Valley in and balancing the TVC across the board. They may not be a powerhouse in Football, but could with the right staff, they have the kids and they have size. I looked at there linemen a few years ago playing against Southeastern-Ross at Londonderry and there is no way they should of barley won that game. Man they were much larger than SE-Ross from the SVC. River Valley would compete well in Baseketball, Girls Sports and Baseball too. They could compete in the TVC a lot better than they do in the OVC and prior membership in the SEOAL.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i dont see the seoal banding together i see personal choices like an athens did just opened the gate. :idea:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Well whoever is added to the TVC OHIO, I think it has to be one of the teams mentioned because after that we would be talking schools too far away from the area. Although another option would be in Washington County......Fort Frye (they were in the TVC for one year in 1970).

I don't think Wellston would leave the TVC to be in a new Ohio River league. That doesn't make much sense. That made me think of something.....I'm currently going through microfilm of the Athens Messenger to chronical the scores to every NY game. I came across an article in a 1971 edition of the Athens Messenger that said the OVC made an offer to Wellston to join the OVC, and Wellston seriously considered it. Right after NY left the SEOAL, Wellston started thinking about leaving as well. They decided to remain in the SEOAL, at least for the time being, and they remained there for another 11 years.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

91blue14 wrote:i dont see the seoal banding together i see personal choices like an athens did just opened the gate. :idea:

I agree with that.

Jackson would probably be the dominant team in football, not sure about other sports.

Some Warren fans may feel that way, but I am sure not all. Warren used to be the big dog in BB but not so much anymore sine Chilly and Zanesville entered the SEOAL. I do think that SEOAL BB is much stronger than the TVC. Rather the premier teams of the SEOAL (ie: Chilly and ZV) They would definitely be strong in Bball but I think VC, for one, would hold it's own.

NY, VC and Alex would definitely compete in Girls Basketball and Athens and Alex would be just fine in Volleyball.

Return to “Football”