Nelsonville-York all time record vs. TVC OHIO teams

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

In terms of games played, NY has played 12 schools at least 10 times since 1967. Here are the top 20 rivals in terms of games played for the Buckeyes:

1. Vinton County - 40 games
2. Belpre - 38 games
2. Trimble - 38 games
4. Alexander - 36 games
5. Wellston - 35 games
6. Athens - 28 games
6. Meigs - 28 games
8. Logan - 27 games
9. Federal Hocking - 23 games
10. Miller - 19 games
10. Warren - 19 games
12. Crooksville - 13 games
13. Fairfield Union - 6 games
13. Jackson - 6 games
15. Portsmouth West - 5 games
15. River Valley - 5 games
17. Fort Frye - 4 games
17. Fairland - 4 games
17. North Gallia (now River Valley) - 4 games
17. Wheelersburg - 4 games
17. Zanesville Rosecrans - 4 games

NY has played Ironton 3 times, and will play the Tigers in 2008 and 2009, so that would then bring Ironton up to 5 games, and placing the Tigers in a tie for 15th place in terms of games played verses NY.

There are TONS of schools NY has played between 1-3 games.
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joliet jake
Waterboy

Post by joliet jake »

Hey Boil, hows the games going at the Derrow Dome this year? :lol: :lol:

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

NYBuckeye96...

Great work. I wish I had the time to do the same for Belpre.

It goes to show that in my mind, the 2 biggest games each year for Belpre are Warren and Nelsonville. Winning these 2 games always makes for a great season.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Captain Jack wrote:
joliet jake wrote:Check with the state. NY turned themself in when they relized what happend. If they wanted to cheat or get away with anything they would have just kept their mouths shut or fixed the records. they didnt. They had a league championship and give it up to do the right thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's not the way I heard it went down. They were told to turn themselves in or somebody else would. Keeping their mouths shut is exactly what they were going to do.

Also, how about your wrestling team? ;-)

I guess Vinton County dominated you in basketball AND wrestling over the weekend. :-D

Congrats on getting us this year in wrestling and bball. This is definitely a rebuilding year in wrestling. With 7 kids on the team, gonna be hard to do well as a team. BB, well you guys are the king in that. But, since we are talking about football, sorry the game was so close for you guys this year as we would have had to put in the reserves on you guys and you could have picked up a co-championship yourselves. :(

joliet jake
Waterboy

Post by joliet jake »

There is some truth to what you are saying CJ. The boys family moved in from Alexander. The principal’s office that checks on eligibility did not catch the grades. Alexander knew this from the beginning of the season but did not call until the season was over. They called our office and our Principal checked and then called the state to turn it in. Alex thought that they would get the win but it turned out to be Wellston. While Coach Arno was heading to the Bengals game the day of the league meeting that he didnt have the class to show up for, But according to my buddy who was in the limo with him he was in no shape to go to a meeting anyway he told them that they knew the kid was ineligible from the start but was going to wait to see how many games he played in before they turned him in. Of course the assist. Coach from alex that did go to the meeting let the other coaches know this. This is how the word got out. Coach McC is the source while his head coach was heading to cincy Blabbing his head off. This Was reported to the state before the playoffs started. If the state would have acted at that time Belpre would have not made the playoffs and Lucasville would have. NY did turn themselves in. When they knew of the mistake they owned up to it. NY's head coach didnt know there was a problem until they had already been turned in. The head office deals with eligibility. See Ny's head coach had no idea about this young man until it was too late. Had he known, he would have set out like they have made many athletes do in the past. Especially a freshman that would have no barring on the outcome. Now my question is. Why did alex hold out knowing that NY had no idea they had a freshman boy playing that was ineligible. How ethical is Alex. I know its not their responsibility But they thought they may get a victory and also thought it would be an 0-10 season for the Buckeyes. Again this has fired the boys up about league play like you wouldnt believe. They had a 5 year run and now they are more fired up than a team that hasnt won more than 1 game since they came into the league. I cant wait till Alex visits NY next year.

As far as wrestling goes. They have won the league for 5 years and you finally get a win. Good for you, it must be tiring getting beat up by this little school when you are the big dog on the block. VC.

joliet jake
Waterboy

Post by joliet jake »

No CJ if you check most pricipals office handles eligibility. Even as the state goes the pricipal is the one who has the last word on anything as far as sports goes. At NY the pricipals office handles all the eligibility and drug testing then gives that information to the AD and then from the AD to the coaches.

Coach Boston had no dealing in this, any angle you go at it, So give it up. He takes care preparing football players to play the game on the field. And for the last 5 years has taken care of business.

Coach Bostons response to having to forfiet was, he felt it was unfortunate but first wanted to protect the young man involved. He's a good kid, just a freshman and that was his biggest worry. All you know about Coach Boston is that he is a feirce competitor. You dont see the way he takes care of his athletes on and off the field and long after they graduate.
He said there is nothing we can do but move forward get in the weight room and get ready for the 08 season. This is over and is now history.

joliet jake
Waterboy

Post by joliet jake »

Captain, If I was from Vinton I would be more of a Basketball fan too, They are pretty good. As far as a man crush. That must be a vinton county thing. Here its just looking out for a friend that looked out for you. Taking care of a hometown guy. We rip on him around here from time to time but we're allowed, you however are not. I would do the same thing if you bad mouthed our Pricipal, Basketball coach, English teacher ect. I may not even like them but they are Buckeyes and you are not.

Good luck to you guys next year too. Looks like your basketball team may not even be challenged this year in the TVC.

Bill Porter
Waterboy

Post by Bill Porter »

Hey hey hey hey hey hey Hawkeye, I I I I saw you at a couple VC games this year, but your belt was MIA.

Ever wonder why your friends stop laughing once they see you walking towards them?

So So So Sorry JA, I like your work.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Ok, lets start the bidding on what the score to the NY Alex game will be next year. We'll have opening bids start at.....

NY 60 Alex 0. Do I hear 65-0?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Ok, lets start the bidding on what the score to the NY Alex game will be next year. We'll have opening bids start at.....

That's funny.

Unfortunately, Coach Boston has more class than some of the posters on here or the score would be astronomical. Coach Boston realizes that while he might be getting back @ a school, he would ultimately be deflating an entire program. The VB coach from Alex has the right idea. In order to make his program stronger, the only way to do that is to make the league stronger. I know for a fact that he has assisted fellow TVC Coaches and offered any advice asked of him.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Ok, lets start the bidding on what the score to the NY Alex game will be next year. We'll have opening bids start at.....

Even better, how many times does Arno make a complete horse's behind out of himself during the game? I am putting the over/uner at 5. He went over this season, but am thinking he will calm down a bit after the deficit reaches 30+.
This is not over yet. It may be over from NY's end, but there is still some investigating to be done. Stay tuned.

BTW, I have also become quite experienced in the offering of assistance and "advice."

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Guess what comes around, goes around, huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by NYBuckeye96 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Bill Porter wrote:Hey hey hey hey hey hey Hawkeye, I I I I saw you at a couple VC games this year, but your belt was MIA.

Ever wonder why your friends stop laughing once they see you walking towards them?

So So So Sorry JA, I like your work.

Haha. Billy has joined us. You know, you kind of stole that joke from me and I stole it from JA. However, the joke was meant to be used on a different target. Any chance you visit this site enough to become a regular?

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Ha Ha, :lol: :lol: :lol: ! I can laugh at myself children. Again, you have me at a disadvantage. Please feel free to find the courage to introduce yourself to me and quit slinging mud from behind your privacy fence. You know who I am, find me I am at a Vinton County game wearing Maroon.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Toilet I havnt been to a Wellston Basketball game in years , prefer football when its played within the rules ;-)

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96,

One thing about Nelsonville-York, it seems after they left the SEOAL, they became a whole different football team. They have had the Wellston Golden Rockets, Athens Bulldogs and Meigs Maurauders number since transferring to the TVC. Meigs seems to have faired better than Wellston and Athens against the Buckeyes since 1967.

Is there any research in the making concerning the old Nelsonville Greyhounds when they were in the SEOAL from 1925-1966? I believe Wellston had there number in the SEOAL in Football. I am not sure about the Athens Bulldogs or then the Middleport Yellow Jackets and Pomeroy Panthers. Great info on the Buckeyes though. It seems when Dave Boston Sr. got the program rolling, it never stopped, and now continues under Dave Boston Jr. I remember watching Wellston defeat Nelsonville when they were still the Greyhounds. My older brother was a junior in H.S. at Wellston when Nelsonville played it's last season as the Greyhounds before consolidating with Bucthel-York for the 67 season.

Again.....great history on Nelsonville Football.

Hope to see some on the Greyhound history.

Respectfully

Army

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Thanks Army. I think I will go back in time even more and research the Nelsonville Greyhounds history. I think I will even record the Buchtel-York scores as well since that information will probably be found on the same page as I find the Greyhound info.

The Nelsonville Greyhounds were not a "football school". In contrast, the Greyhounds were a basketball school hands down. Four-time SEOAL champions in basketball and the 1952 Class A State Runner's Up. The Greyounds also did well in baseball and won the State Championship in baseball in June of 1967, as the last official sporting event ever for the Greyhounds.

Even though the Greyhounds were not a football school, thousands of fans attended the Greyhounds vs. Chieftans football game each year. This was "THE Game" for both schools, and it was often the final game of the season for both schools. The Logan vs. Nelsonville games were fan favorites, even though Logan dominated the series.

One thing that you also need to consider is school size. As a consolidated school, Nelsonville-York was still a small school in the SEOAL in the late 60's. Now, imagine the Greyhounds, at only half the size of the Buckeyes, competing in the SEOAL for 40 years!!! Nelsonville, Pomeroy, and Middleport were by far the smallest schools in the SEOAL.

However, I think being the little guys on the block really helped the Greyhounds in sports like basketball and baseball come tournament time. Some of the old basketball articles I have read on the Greyhounds make reference to Class A Nelsonville basicly playing a Class AA schedule and how that gave them an edge for deep tournament runs in basketball.

And on a side note, while wrestling has been a strong sport at NY, if you go back to the 1970s, NY was very dominate in golf. NY won several TVC Championships in golf in the 1970s. I seen many articles in the Messenger from the 70s concerning NY Golf as I was researching the football scores.

Return to “Football”