Trevor Walls

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

I dont think 1 fan 1 was responding to your posts in particular.. merely making a point that most people in our area do not realize what it takes to get a full ride division one offer in any sport.. especially football or basketball. It seems that any player who has a great high school career people are crying out that they should be getting a scholarship to marshall or ou. It just doesnt work that way. Im not arguing that Trevor himself doesnt deserve one, I personally think that he is a mid to small d1 quarterback and a great athlete, i am only saying that it is very very difficult. Dont take things so personally im sure it wasnt directed towards you as an attack.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Also, his ACT, class rank, and personal decisions are really nobody's business but his and his parents.

I was responding to this comment, much of what he said is very true.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Don't be so touchy. I really WAS NOT responding to your post personally at all, and I didn't know you were his coach, so I in no way wanted to make you defensive or offend you. I apologize if i did. My bad.

I really was just generally making the comment that it is tough to get recruited D-I and a lot of people who don't know anything about it think it's easier than it is.

It's up to the players, parents, (I guess coaches, too, for some,along WITH parents) to decide if a player wants his academic situation and grades published, and I have no problem with those who do at all, either, as long as its okay with the kid. (Some might not have such terrific news to broadcast and I have seen others discuss that in public forums, and I don't approve of that.)

I do think, however, that there's enough pressure as it is on some of these seniors wanting to get recruited without everyone else in a community adding to it. Publicity is good; pressure is not.

In short, sorry, I didn't know what your job is, and I really wasn't commenting on it at all. I was just stating a general opinion. I am just sympathizing with Trevor Walls and the pressure he must be feeling.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Not touchy at all, just clearing the air. I make it clear who I am and my screen name is my real name. Trevor is a big boy and anyone that is in athletics knows what comes with the territory. Don't feel sorry for him. He has an official visit with Hal Mumme at New Mexico State University next week. Hal Mumme invented the Air Raid offense and he is a great QB coach!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

JohnKnight wrote:Not touchy at all, just clearing the air. I make it clear who I am and my screen name is my real name. Trevor is a big boy and anyone that is in athletics knows what comes with the territory. Don't feel sorry for him. He has an official visit with Hal Mumme at New Mexico State University next week. Hal Mumme invented the Air Raid offense and he is a great QB coach!
I think this would be a great fit for the big QB.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

JohnKnight Keep up the good work. everyone knows you have been doing all you can for him. do not let a few nay sayers get you down. unfortunately there are thousands of young men looking to play college ball and only so many schools who can make offers to them young men. I am sure Trevor knows you are doing all you can to help him out.

Josh218
Waterboy

Camps...

Post by Josh218 »

Can anyone tell me what camps he has been to throughout his high school career. I keep hearing people talk about kids from southern Ohio not getting looked at but the ones I have talked to have only been to a few local camps or none at all! The few kids I know that are getting looks are going to 3 and 4 camps or more a year and they are going to in state camps as well as out of state camps. I have told so many players over the years that camps mean everything! Many players get noticed at camps when their talent is singled out in drills and some schools will follow a kid that has been to their camp year after year! The other thing that can fit into this is going to the right camps. For example some large schools have so many kids there that they don't give serious look to everyone that is there and kids get lost in the numbers! Some camps are open to all offense players or defense players and kids just get grouped in and don't get important one on one time. Finally a kid should go to camps at schools he is interested in but also be realistic in picking a school that has a history running the type of program that he will fit into! For example if a kid is a pure pocket passing quarterback it doesn't do him much good to go to camp at a school that runs a spread option offense and uses a quarterback that can run! Also look for camps that are maybe smaller or specific to your position!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

With his GPA and success on the sports field, Walls should really look hard at an Ivy League education. Best of luck in whatever he and his parents decide.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I only saw two of his games this year, but based on them, I can't imagine why the MAC, at least, isn't after him. 6'6", 215 or so, a cannon for a right arm, and some speed in his steps, and he is still waiting? Whoever gets him is getting a steal. I wish he would have gone 5 miles south for high school.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Gosh, sorry again, Mr. Knight. I may have seen your name, but to assume anybody knows who you are???? I had (and didn't really care since the post really wasn't about you at all) no idea who you specifically are. I was just, as I repeat, stating my general opinion about the pressure of decision making and recruiting and how most people don't understand it. Had nothing whatsoever to do with you specifically or personally, so do not take personal offense when absolutely none was intended, ok? (I am wondering what you will find in this to be offended about, so please do not read something that is not there...) I also did not mean that I felt sorry for Mr. Walls, b/c he is one very lucky individual, in fact! I just meant that I sympathized with a young man who is pressured by everyone around him to make an important (and happy!) decision. Don't forget all or most seniors are making these types of decisions now, athletes or not, and as a high school teacher, I know this is a tough time for all seniors, scholarship candidates or not. That doesn't mean I feel sorry for him/them! I think it is in fact exciting time of life, but it is also scary for all of them! So, with enough apologies all around, let me finally say that I hope it all works out, which it will, and that Trevor Walls gets an opportunity to play a sport he loves at a school that will give him the education he needs, DI, DII or whatever; wherever.
I am sure we will all find out when he and all the other recruits and their families decide in a few weeks.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Assume what? It says under my name who I am. Trevor was offered by WV Wesleyan today BTW. Full Scholarship. If he gets an offer from NMSU he will get other DI offers.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

How did it go at Ohio Dominican?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

He is going Thursday.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

JohnKnight wrote:He is going Thursday.
Please keep me posted. He will love the stadium there.
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

After watching Trevor play for the past 3 years. I grew to like him even though i never met him. Just by his composure on the field. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Trevor is a great kid. Tremendous athlete and one heck of a person.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Apollo Creed
Waterboy

Post by Apollo Creed »

If a division II school lands this player it is a major steal. I believe that there are many Division I schools out there that are totally sleeping on this kid's skills. It puts me in the mind of the Conrad kid from Logan a few years back; wound up going to Glennville and was a total stud.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I believe the Quote from Hal Mumme about the MAC schools was "Bunch of IDIOTS"! We shall see how serious he was when Trevor returns. He is in Las Cruces today!

Apollo Creed
Waterboy

Post by Apollo Creed »

JohnKnight wrote:I believe the Quote from Hal Mumme about the MAC schools was "Bunch of IDIOTS"! We shall see how serious he was when Trevor returns. He is in Las Cruces today!

Go Aggies!

Return to “Football”