Is South Gallia joining the SOC 1

redeagle
Riding the Bench

Post by redeagle »

This would be a much better fit for SG than the TVC-Hocking..I mean how long would it take SG to get clear to Waterford & Miller?..That's a long trek..The SOC I is a great fit..hope it happens for the students & Faculty..This would make it EXTREMELY EASIER for the AD..

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

hmmm... the distance factor would be a problem if they wanted to join the TVC Hocking.... the SOC is a pretty good fit for them... So is anything gonna be official before to long... :?:

SW HIGHLANDER GRAD
Waterboy

Post by SW HIGHLANDER GRAD »

THE TVC HOCKING NOT A GOOD FIT. :(

SOC 1 HAS TO BE THE ONLY WAY. PLAY THE TEAMS ALREADY. :-D

balding_mullet
Waterboy

Post by balding_mullet »

any news yet? are they in or out?

squiggy
Freshman Team

Re: Is South Gallia joining the SOC 1

Post by squiggy »

I think manchester would be agood fit for the soc

steelpride
Waterboy

Post by steelpride »

sets up a good rivalry for sv to :evil:

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

The SOC is not fond of any sort of change, I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I do not see it happening anytime soon. I believe South Gallia has tried several times and I doubt if they would ask again as long as the current AD is there, just no reason to beat a dead horse.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Is there any chance or at least talks of restarting the SVAC with the local teams in your area, like:

Mercerville South Gallia D6
Chesire River Valley D4
Hannan, WV Class A
Racine Southern Meigs D6
Wahama, WV Class A
Buffulo, WV Class A
Reedsville Eastern Meigs
Stewart Federal Hocking D5

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I know this is the football board, but football isn't the 100% picture. Think about hoops, baseball, softball and volleyball. These sports are in consideration, too. The travel to SV and OH aren't bad. Neither is SW if you take the Oak Hill route. Let's not forget Clay and New Boston that don't play football but most of the other sports. Clay is 70 or so miles (1.5 hours) by Mapquest and New Boston isn't that much better. Heck, I forgot about Western in Latham, OH. 82 miles from Mercerville which would amount to close to an hour and 45 minute drive for the sports not counting football. Those are tough on a school night. Just a little FYI.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Good point XandOs-the SOC I has 5 teams for football and 8 teams for all other sports. Eight teams is just about the best number for a league. Which means 14 league games in all other sports except for football. I can see that the SOC would not want to change and for some the trip to Mercerville is a long trip. Also think of this, what is a short trip for SG can be viewed as a long trip for another school. The majority of the SOC is in Scioto County so a trip to Gallia County seems long and the trip from Western to South Gallia would be a haul.

For now SG is content to play the SOC I football schools as a non-league game and play an independent schedule in all other sports. This can actually cut down on long trips in other sports.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I was told and understood it as South Gallia wanted in the SOC I for football only...and not any other sport. If I understood that right and that is true than it would work out.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I didn't think the league would allow a football only deal. I remember in the past when St. Joe football wanted out of the SOC but the rest of the sports stay and they were basically told no. I guess this would/could be considered a different senario.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Add teams and go to 3/4 divisions

Invite the southern SEOAL (Ironton and Portsmouth) teams along with OVC teams and it works
Ironton
Portsmouth
W'Burg
Rock Hill
West
Waverly
Jackson
Gallia Academy
Would be a heck of a league

DII
South Point
Northwest
Valley
Minford
C'Peake
Fairland
C Grove
River Valley

DIII
Symmes Valley
Oak Hill
Notre Dame
South Gallia
Green
Sciotoville
Manchester

DIV Non Football schools
Eastern
Western
Ironton ST Joe
Clay
New Boston
Last edited by bengalfan76 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

A couple of summers ago, SG was offered a chance to join the TVC Hocking. The vote was put before the various head coaches at South Gallia.

The softball and track coaches voted "yes" to joining the TVC Hocking. The other head coaches -- football, boys/girls basketball, baseball -- voted "no."

Travel distance was mentioned as a primary factor in the voting by the coaches who were faced with weeknight games. There was also a bit of holding out for an SOC offer, too.

The SOC is a good fit for SG; nobody denies that. The Rebels just haven't been able to get enough of an endorsement from current SOC members to officially join the league.

I hope that eventually the Rebels do get into the SOC.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

bengalfan
Although I like the idea of a third division, yours may be a little overboard. I doubt those OVC schools would want to dismember their conference. I could, however, see the SEOAL schools leaving to join the SOC. Also, you left out Clay, New Boston, and Symmes Valley.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Thanks
Make a division of the non football schools.
Invite Peebles and North Adams and you would have the old Tri County League.lol

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

who would fit the soc from seoal :?:

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

Portsmouth, Ironton, Jackson, and Gallia Academy would all fit in an upper division with Waverly and Burg. That would leave West, Valley, Northwest, Oak Hill, Minford, Notre Dame, Green, East, and Symmes Valley to make two smaller divisions in football (probably would have to add another smaller school or two... South Gallia).

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I would love to see the SOC give South Gallia a chance. With its improvements to the baseball fields, every sport has a decent facility......

Return to “Football”