SE

Re: Quitting A Sport

Post by boilermaker »

I always told my kids ,,,You start it you will finish it no matter what! :!:

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

As a rule, I tell my children that they aren't allowed to quit a sport.

However, there are always exceptions to the rules.

Scenario One: A 17-yr. old's father dies and his mother doesn't make enough money to make ends meet with a family of six. So the kid quits a sport to help work and pay for stuff for his family. I see nothing wrong with that.

Scenario Two: Although this situation is a stretch, what if a kid is having academic troubles and the only way for him to graduate is to give up sports?

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

My position as a parent is similar to most, you start it, you finish it. Now, I agree with Boogerred, there will be extenuating circumstances in which the child must stop participating in extra-curriculars to take care of things at home or school. Any decent parent would take the same position.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but, seems to me the biggest beef for most of us parents who subscribe to the motto that you start it, you finish it, is those parents who let their kids quit because they don't like the coach, don't like a teammate, or are unhappy with their playing time. It is those instances where little Johnny quits that gets my goat. What the hell are these parents teaching their kids?

They are teaching them the wrong message, obviously.

As for those kids who quit one sport to play another, I'm not too keen on that. Unless you have a situation like BigMcCauley presented. Too many kids in one sport, not enough in the other sport, and you'd do more good for the team with not enough kids. That though, is the exception, not the rule.

Good conversation on this thread.

Return to “Football”