An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Warren Warriors

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Re: An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Warren Warriors

Post by air4ce1 »

today is the first official weight lifting session for the warriors...8-10 am or 530-730 pm...hopefully well have a good turnout...ahhhh i can smell the gridiron already :-D

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

2-8
or
1-9

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Helmet fittings were on Tuesday and numbers are great! It is the first time in a long, long time that folks haven't been concerned about getting kids out. Moreover, pretty much everyone that you would want to play is playing. Hoon and Cox are both playing and getting stronger. This group has been spread across the JV and Varsity for the last 3 years. They are a group that has been winning ball games. Now they are together as juniors and seniors and it will mean more progress for the Warriors.

Heck, there are even 35 kids signed-up for the Jr. High team!

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

thats great news...hey do you know any numbers on how many 9-12 graders we have?

also those new helmets are pretty nice!!! i love mine :-D

bacf game is tomorrow i believe

anyone heard if spence is playing?

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

I was in the weight room this morning and i realized something that puts a big smile on my face....

This years Warriors actually have a good, tight group of seniors.

Dunfee, Cox, Lemon, Weekley, Johnson, Coffman, Pettit, Hoon, Seth Wellspring, David Wellspring, and maybe/hopefully Spence.
This will be the first time all of these kids wil be playing on the same team since freshman year. Hoon did not play last year and David Wellspring did not play Sophmore or Junior year. And Seth Wellspring took his sophmore year off as well. Pettit hurt his foot pretty bad sophmore year and played alot of J-V last year and got some varsity time.

Not only do they have a good group of seniors butthey have alot of solid under classmen.
Jon Arbuckle will most likely start on offensive and he'll be most likely be the first back-up at the D-tackle position. Kaleb Wolfe will once again be starting linebacker and may even seed some carries come his way. Kyle Pritt should see some significan playing time at linebacker this year and could get some time in the backfield. Cody Alfred should be contributing quite a bit on both sides of the ball.

Overall i believe Warren has a chance to have a good year. Its gonna be tough though, seeing as we only have 4 home games which is kind of a downer for our seniors but all of them are optimistic and working hard.

It should be a great year

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Well, with the conclusion of summer basketball it is finally time to focus solely on football. The Warriors will be participating in the Nelsonville 7-7 next Saturday so football is really and truly upon us. Everyone has been working very hard, so this year's version of the blue and white will be strong. It will be the same Coach and the same system (with a few twists) so that makes it nice for the players (that hasn't happened for a while). I was disappointed to learn of the academic ineligibility of several players, including some seniors that would have had a big impact. Wow, that is disappointing. Regardless, the program is moving in the right direction and everyone is excited. I'll keep everyone posted on events as usual via my "sources."

Upcoming Events:
Saturday July, 12 Nelsonville 7-7
Monday July, 21 Varsity Football Camp Begins
Saturday July 26 7-7 w/Caldwell

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

What a coincidence, we'll be at Nelsonville, too. :122245

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

And play each other at 11:30 on field 2 (turf)!!!!

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

so it looks like warren still cant stop mariettas intermediate passing game. they are going to really struggle in the real game if they can't find a way to stop it.

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

airforce
i agree with you 100%. if warren doesnt stop thos pesky crossing routes, week 5 does not look good for the warriors.

but remember these things have no pressure from D linemen. and the O linemen and D linemen will also have an effect on where the ball will be thrown.

in all honesty you cannot decide how a team will do in a real game based on how they perform in a passing scrimmage.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

How did Warren's passing offense look?

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren placed 9th out of 12 teams in the Nelsonville Tourney Saturday. It's not really fair to make too much of the results as Warren has Coach Gribble installing some elements of the spread and they really haven't had a chance to work on things yet. The QB this year will be either the JR Wolfe or the SO Hilverding. I'm not sure that either of them separated himself from the other. We'll have to see how they perform when the pads are on. The brightest spot was definitely Tyler Cox who made fantastic catches over everyone that tried to cover him. Venham was not present due to shin splints. However, with both Cox and Venham on the field, they will be a formidable pair this year. Defense looked very good at times with the Andrews (Coffman and Dunfee) performing well. Wolfe had a pair of picks from the LB position. Overall not bad. They beat the teams they should have beaten, but they gotta improve to compete with the caliber of teams that they will be playing against during the season.

The next 7 on 7 is against Caldwell in two weeks.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

I saw a lot of potential, but a lot of work needs done before the spread is ready for the SEOAL. Improvement from the past definitely shown!!!

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

looking back at the results to the games...
based on score alone, the warriors had one of the better showings against the first place winners Grove Port Madison.

this was a huge improvement over last year and all i can say is the warriors are excited to start this season

sports_nut
Riding the Bench

Post by sports_nut »

I thought Ellenwood was a quarterback? Hilverding & Wolfe?

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

It's unclear what will be happening at QB. Ellenwood has been told that he may be at Wing or Tailback, but that he also may be QB and will have to learn the QB position along with the other new position(s). He did not get reps at QB during the passing tournament. Some of the confusion may be because they don't know exactly what offense they will be running, and last I heard assistant coaches had not been assigned to positions yet (although that may have happened during the last couple days). Right now Wolfe, Hilverding, Ellenwood and maybe one or two others are being told that they will need to learn the QB role. That still leaves the JV QB position wide open. So, there are a LOT of things up in the air. I guess things will get sorted out during camp . . .

Warriorfan08
Waterboy

Post by Warriorfan08 »

It seems like every year Warren has talented skills people but lacks the size up front. They lost some key players to graduation last year, so a lot of players are going to have to step it up. If the coaches can somehow get the ball to their athletes in space (Venham, Wellspring, Dunfee etc...) the Warriors have a good chance of competing. What are the numbers looking like right now?

Go Blue

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Unfortunately, Wellspring will not be playing this season. Huge loss . . .

I think numbers are probably about where they were last year. Numbers could have been better, but the team has been really, really dinged by grades. I was told that as many as 18 players are ineligible. The Sophomore class, in particular, has many players that are not going to get to play. Many very key kids from this group will be in the stands. The Senior class will be missing a couple key players (starters/contributors). Not sure about the Junior class; I actually haven't heard about anyone from this group that will be ineligible. Don't know about Freshmen either.

Sigh.

Camp starts Monday and football won't stop until October as camp will flow right into practice.

We'll see how many players are there on Monday.

Warriorfan08
Waterboy

Post by Warriorfan08 »

That is unfortunate

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

AHHHH - The unattainable 2.0 average!!!!!!!

As you said - fan - SIGH!

Return to “Football”