2. Chilli
3. tie- Portsmouth
Itown
ZHS
6. Marietta
7. tie --Jackson
GHS
9. Warren

Not a final yet. Close. But come the season & scrimmages, a little tinkering and I'll be ready for a final prediction before kickoff.

billcox
Varsity

Re: 2008 SEOAL

Post by billcox »

I just don't see Zville having "it" this year. They lost Gaiters and just about everyone else! Is it possible that they could have a bunch of kids step in and perform at a very high level? Sure. But any time a team loses as much as Zville did they can't be expected to pick up where they left off.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Read my critique on the ZHS thread. They won't win the SEOAL, but they are a top half team. Many of those kids played last year and come from multiple Jr. Hi programs to the H.S. ZHS kids are used to playing a higher competitive schedule unlike many in the SEOAL. Look at their schedule. Name the league losses.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

My pick to win the SEOAL in 2008 is going to be Logan. I think the Chiefs will most likely be even better overall than they were last season. The competition may be a little tougher this time around, so I don't see Logan blowing everyone out in the fashion that they did last year, but they're clearly the team to beat in my opinion.

Portsmouth should be very talented. Some of their younger guys might be lacking in varsity experience, but with Logan off the schedule this year, they have a shot to make a run at the league title.

Chillicothe and Ironton should be good this year as well and could end up in the thick of things.

Here's how I would group the teams for the upcoming season.

The Favorite
Logan

Contenders
Portsmouth
Ironton
Chillicothe

Second Level, but could move up.
Jackson
Zanesville
Gallia Academy

Lower Level
Marietta
Warren

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Zanesville 2008 Schedule:
Aug. 22 - AT Newark
Aug. 29 - VS Licking Valley
Sept. 5 - VS Wheeling Park (WV)
Sept. 12 - VS Chillicothe *
Sept. 19 - VS Warren *
Sept. 26 - AT Logan *
Oct. 3 - AT St. Charles
Oct. 10 - VS Marietta *
Oct. 17 - AT Gallia Academy *
Oct. 24 - AT Jackson *

The fact that Zville misses Ironton and Portsmouth does give them a better chance to finish in the top half of the league. The reason I made my overall predictions in groups is because there is a good chance that multiple teams will tie for various spots in the standings. Where I placed Zville in my groups was an indication of how good I feel they will be in comparision to the other teams in the league. Zville losses in the league will be Chilly, Logan, Jackson and possibly GAHS.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Good

Here's mine --
Home -- Chilli --loss, Warren --easy win, Marietta -- win

@ Logan-- Big Loss, @ Gallia-- Big win, @ Jackson-- Big win

And compare ZHS, Gallia & Jackson non-league schedules. Thats not even close.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Paladin,

I agree that the non-league schedules of Jackson and GAHS don't come close to Zanesville. However, I don't think that's necessarily the deciding factor between those three teams. I do see Jackson, GAHS, and Zanesville being similar in talent, but Zanesville has both of those games on the road. The better non-league competition will help Zanesville, but it doesn't guarantee that they will beat Jackson or GAHS. I would agree with SouthernStorm that Zanesville will most likely lose to Chillicothe, Logan, and then lose one of the two games at GAHS and Jackson, leaving them with three league losses. We'll obviously have to wait and see what happens, but I don't see a team with 4 returning starters having BIG wins AT Gallia Academy and Jackson when both the Ironmen and Blue Devils should have fairly good football teams.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin

You have said that Portsmouth will go 3-3 or 4-2 in the league because they have too many young players without experience. However, Zanesville is returning only 4 starters and will rely mostly on inexperienced varsity players, but that doesn't matter for them? They'll still go to Galliapolis and Jackson and win big with their only challenges in the league coming from Logan and Chilli?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

'02

I wouldn't call bottom half teams in the SEOAL "good" teams. I know it appears that way when you throw in non-league games that will be no contests & blow-outs.

ZHS kids have played at a higher competitive schedule forever. They play at a higher level than Gallia or Jackson. They won't be as good as last year, but they'll have plenty in putting Gallia & Jackson away. It comes from having multiple Jr Hi teams which plays lots of kids, prepping them. The only thing that "looks" bad about ZHS is the tough non-league schedule, which in turn, makes them much better and tougher than the typical SEOAL team, even with average talent.

Neither Gallia nor Jackson would consider playing any one of ZHS's non-league games, much less ALL 3. Gallia & Jackson will both be wins for ZHS. Add in Marietta & Warren and they are a top half team with a shot early AT HOME vs. Chilli. Logan will be the class once again & ZHS has no chance with them.
Last edited by Paladin on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Storm

Those ZHS kids played alot last year and are NOT Soph.. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Those kids have ALL played at multiple Jr. Hi for years, they try to play platoon FB at lower levels and play a more aggressive schedule than most in the SEOAL. Certainly Gallia & Jackson, who play wimps. Not one team from Gallia nor Jackson's non-league schedule can compare with any one of ZHS's non-league schedule .

Apples & oranges. And its been that way for a long time. BTW, you have no idea the talent at ZHS. In their worst year in the SEOAL, I would be amazed if they played in the bottom half. The SEOAL has improved competitvely. Gallia & Jackson have not kept up.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

It is amazing to me that you are constantly so down on Jackson and Gallia Academy. Especially when you consider the fact that they have both beaten Logan more consistently than anyone else in league history, with the exception of Ironton's glory days.

You would be amazed if ZHS ever played in the bottom half of the league? Maybe you should take a look back to 2006. The only league teams they beat were 3-7, 3-7 and 1-9.

Zanesville 2006
8/25 H Whitehall-Yearling (0-10) [3:12] W 53-13
9/1 A Newark (4-6) [1:3] L 7-49
9/8 H Wheeling Park (WV) (6-3) [1:0] L 0-35
9/15 A Portsmouth (3-7) [4:15] W 35-6
9/23 H Warren (3-7) [3:12] W 55-0
9/29 A Logan (8-3) [1:3] L 7-33
10/6 A Athens (1-9) [3:12] W 33-19
10/13 H Marietta (4-6) [2:7] L 21-28
10/20 H Ironton (6-5) [4:15] L 7-48
10/27 A Chillicothe (7-4) [2:7] L 14-27

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Gaiters broke his leg and missed games. Gallia & Jackson didn't play them that year.

And you are looking at ancient history. The SEOAL has changed. Competition is up. Logan is playing up. ZHS is playing up. Gallia & Jackson are playing "down".

Watch the results again this year.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Paladin,

I am well aware of the benefits of playing a tough non-league schedule and I agree with you that Jackson could definitely improve in that area. However, I don't understand why you act like schedule strength is the ONLY thing that ever matters. I'm going to give you an example using the two teams that we're most familiar with, Logan and Jackson.

In 2004, Logan played the following non-league schedule with these results:

Lancaster - Lost 21-24
Chillicothe - Lost 28-29
Pickerington North - Lost 10-13
Zanesville - Won 28-14
Gahanna Lincoln - Lost 35-14

In 2004, Jackson played the following non-league schedule with these results:

Wellston - Won 55-0
Waverly - Won 42-18
Vinton Co. - Won 29-6
London - Won 57-8
Franklin Heights - Won 61-33

Jackson then traveled to Logan in Week 6 and beat them 21-14 on their home field. Shoudn't Jackson have been throttled by Logan because of the Chiefs' difficult non-league schedule? The point I'm trying to make is that strength of schedule is not the only factor in high school football games. Schedule strength does go a long way in helping the overall strength of a program, but you can't judge a team based completely on its schedule. And for that matter, you can't really judge a team on the fact that they draw from multiple middle schools, either.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin wrote:Gaiters broke his leg and missed games. Gallia & Jackson didn't play them that year.

And you are looking at ancient history. The SEOAL has changed. Competition is up. Logan is playing up. ZHS is playing up. Gallia & Jackson are playing "down".

Watch the results again this year.

So now all of a sudden, one player being out for Zville takes them from never being in the bottom half of the league to only beating bottom feeders such as Athens and Warren?

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

And how good was Logan that year ?? Now, in what direction is Logan headed now ?? In what direction is ZHS headed ??

Folks are selective here. Schedule is part of it. In ZHS's case ( and thats been the arguement here), they'll win for these reasons over Gallia & Jackson --

1. Non-league schedule is far tougher, making them stronger & better prepared

2. Kids come from multiple Jr. Hi were they got more play time , more teams

3. Kids played lots at Frosh & Res. levels with platooning..

4. Many of these kids returning PLAYED ALOT last year at ZHS.

5. Gallia & Jackson are nowhere near as talented and are bottom half teams

6. I rate ZHS skill players as better and Scott , a two way player as dominate.

7. I rate the coach as better

8. I rate ZHS as the better D team than Gallia & Jackson

9. ZHS reserves were good last year against a superior schedule

10. Be prepared -- ZHS will throw the ball this year as well. Big QB.

It is the background & direction teams are headed ,in addition to talent level.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Storm

Be my guest. Go argue with yourself. Watch the games. Note the results this year.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Paladin wrote:Storm

Be my guest. Go argue with yourself. Watch the games. Note the results this year.

Go argue with myself? What is that supposed to mean? I thought that I was discussing this with you. After re-reading your posts it has become quite obvious that you are VERY selective when choosing what to acknowledge. Considering that, it seems that you are the one who is arguing with yourself.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Paladin wrote:And how good was Logan that year ?? Now, in what direction is Logan headed now ?? In what direction is ZHS headed ??

How good was Logan? Apparently they were good enough to play Lancaster to a 21-21 tie before losing on an amazing 47 yard FG. The Chiefs played Lancaster better that year than they have since. The Chiefs also were good enough to win a share of the SEOAL.

It's obvious that Logan is better now than they were that year, but you just refuse to see the point in all of this. I have said many times that I agree with you about the benefits of playing a strong schedule. I just don't think it's fair to judge teams based solely on that criteria. We'll just have to agree to disagree because this happens every football season. I just think that there's more to the formula than simply looking at non-league schedules all the time. Your arguments about coaching and the strengths and weaknesses of each of the teams is what I'm looking for...not just simply saying, "Zanesville is better because they play a tougher non-league slate".

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

athens and jackson made the playoffs top 4. we hade no answer for marty exline. copley kicks a field goal beats us 3-0 at memorial field.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Interesting discussion.

I agree with '02's picks overall except I would switch Marietta and GAHS for the "second level but could move up."

Everyone has interesting view points, but it has stayed pretty civil. Keep it up, these are hte kind of threads SEOPS needs.

Return to “Football”