Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Re: Marietta - The next to leave the SEOAL ??

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

A couple thoughts ...

* The OVAC, as noted above, does break its teams down into four divisions, based on enrollment. But here is the problem with the OVAC -- it does NOT have mandatory scheduling. That was a problem for us. While we enjoyed great relationships with the likes of Park, Steubenville and East Liverpool over the years, it was hard to get the other schools to play us. Many cited the distance (just like in the SEOAL, we were on the periphery of the membership map). We occasionally played a team such as Brooke, but not every year. We never played John Marshall, except in some girls sports. Anyway, to "qualify" for an OVAC championship, you have to play a certain number of games against OVAC opponents. In all our time as a regular competitor in that league (and yes, we are still a member), there were very few times we played enough football games to qualify for the championship. In basketball, geez ... most of those teams ran away like scared schoolgirls. East Liverpool and Park were about the only ones who would play us.

* I believe this proposed alignment would be a separate entity. There are a couple like that within the structure of the OVAC. A school such as Marietta might have, like us, "dual citizenship."

* I'm a little dubious about so quickly relating Warren to the MVL. I have been told for several years now that one reason why Zanesville is NOT attractive to the MVL is its size. Granted, I think we're a shade smaller than Tri-Valley now, but league insiders tell me the principals would prefer to bring in a school that is right about in the middle of the pack when it comes to enrollment. Warren might not fit in that regard, either, and I guarantee that some of the league schools would crow about the travel distance (they're not as accustomed to hitting the road like we are in Zanesville!). I know Tri-Valley people grumble about the trip to Morgan, for instance. I think Warren would have to think long and hard before it just ups and bolts the SEOAL. Would Warren be a candidate in this proposed league? Perhaps.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

marietta could do that be a "dual citizen" we could be a top team in one league for a sport and maybe a a top team in another sport for the other league or is that even possible

I read some of the stuff above breifly

Army
S

Post by Army »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:A couple thoughts ...

* The OVAC, as noted above, does break its teams down into four divisions, based on enrollment. But here is the problem with the OVAC -- it does NOT have mandatory scheduling. That was a problem for us. While we enjoyed great relationships with the likes of Park, Steubenville and East Liverpool over the years, it was hard to get the other schools to play us. Many cited the distance (just like in the SEOAL, we were on the periphery of the membership map). We occasionally played a team such as Brooke, but not every year. We never played John Marshall, except in some girls sports. Anyway, to "qualify" for an OVAC championship, you have to play a certain number of games against OVAC opponents. In all our time as a regular competitor in that league (and yes, we are still a member), there were very few times we played enough football games to qualify for the championship. In basketball, geez ... most of those teams ran away like scared schoolgirls. East Liverpool and Park were about the only ones who would play us.

* I believe this proposed alignment would be a separate entity. There are a couple like that within the structure of the OVAC. A school such as Marietta might have, like us, "dual citizenship."

* I'm a little dubious about so quickly relating Warren to the MVL. I have been told for several years now that one reason why Zanesville is NOT attractive to the MVL is its size. Granted, I think we're a shade smaller than Tri-Valley now, but league insiders tell me the principals would prefer to bring in a school that is right about in the middle of the pack when it comes to enrollment. Warren might not fit in that regard, either, and I guarantee that some of the league schools would crow about the travel distance (they're not as accustomed to hitting the road like we are in Zanesville!). I know Tri-Valley people grumble about the trip to Morgan, for instance. I think Warren would have to think long and hard before it just ups and bolts the SEOAL. Would Warren be a candidate in this proposed league? Perhaps.

So are the 6 schools seeking to create a league among themselves and also hold status in the OVAC? I surely could see Warren Local in that format with the other 6 schools. But, would the other teams want them in, due to the travel distance. What would be the longest drive for Warren if they jumped to that possible league...Wheeling Park?

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

I really can't imagine 2 of the founding members of the SEOAL being asked to leave the league. GAHS and Logan I can't imagine going anywhere. I do agree that gas prices are going to difficult at best for many schools to justify.

Also, since Rt 33 runs North to South I think that South of Rt 70 and East of 23 are what most people consider the SE quadrant of the State.

It is hard for the larger schools in the area to find a good fit for a league and that has long been the problem of the SEOAL. The schools are just so far and few between. I hope the SEOAL can work these things out and perhaps if the schools do keep dwindling a dual membership would be required by any of the remaining schools to help fill the schedule.

I, for one, hate the thought of schools in the SE portion of the state to have to give up anything due to the geography of the state. There have long been talks of schools needing to consolidate just to make it. That is unfortunate for any city/townor village to have to give up a sense of community. I mean where else can you see so many people interacting with neighbors and friends than at a school event?

I definitely think Chillicothe is a great fit for the SEOAL due to the proximity with Logan and Jackson. So those three should definitely stay in the conference along with GAHS. Though I have heard enrollment at GAHS continues to shrink as a lot of schools are experiencing in this part of the state.

Army
S

Post by Army »

I think if Marietta and Warren really leaves the SEOAL for greener pastures elsewhere, the 6 members left is still a really good league. Most of the teams are really close in.

Chillicothe D3 is centrally located in the right part of the SEOAL. :-D

1. Jackson D2 is 30 plus miles away.

2. Portsmouth D4 is a little over 45 plus miles away. A team I might add, that our Chillicothe Cavaliers has played off and on in football since 1898. That series would most likely continue even if the SEOAL folded.

3. Ironton D4 is most likely the longest drive about 70 plus miles for our CAVS.

4. Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) D4 is a little over 62 plus miles away which would become the second longest drive for our CAVS.

5. Logan D2 is about 42 plus miles away.

If we revert to an SEOAL like this, I can't see Chillicothe going anywhere. :-D

We will all just have to wait and see. The extra two non-league games we all would have to pick up, might relate to some travel for some of the SEOAL Teams but I still think this would be an outstanding league with very competitive teams for years to come. The question is, will Ironton stay or are they still contemplating on going back independent? There are some on the river that still want out.

I believe all the rest of the teams will stay committed to the SEOAL unless the SOC II changes their position and invites Portsmouth in. Which I wouldn't blame Portsmouth at all to accept an offer like that. :-D

The only offer our Chillicothe Cavaliers D3 would have if the SEOAL folded is, the slight chance to request membership, and slim chance to be accepted to play in the South Central Ohio League (SCOL) which has one slot open at the present with; Greenfield McClain D3, Hillsboro D3, Washington C.H. D3, Washington C.H. Miami-Trace D4, London D3, London Madison-Plains D4 and Clinton-Massie D4 or go the independent route.

Gallipolis and Jackson has possible opportuities, slim, but some leagues could change their attitude towards them and let these schools in, like the SOC II for Jackson and the OVC or TVC-Ohio for Gallipolis Gallia Academy if the SEOAL league would crumble and disband.

I don't really know what Logan D2 would do if the SEOAL really fell apart. The OCC just made all their divisions an 8 team format starting this season with 4 divisions. I don't know if the MVL would offer a slot to them either? Most likely, the Chieftians would have to go independent.

I do like the 6 team SEOAL possibility though. That league format is close enough for most of the teams except the drives for Portsmouth and Ironton to Logan.

Ironton to Logan is about 85 plus miles.

Portsmouth to Logan is about 87 plus miles.

Time will tell. I can't blame Marietta and Warren for looking at the possibility to leave the SEOAL though. Look how far they are out on the SEOAL Map.

As stated, I do like the possible 6 team SEOAL future format with:

Chillicothe D3
Jackson D2
Portsmouth D4
Ironton D4
Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) D4
Logan D2

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Don't see the SEOAL telling Logan to go away after being a long-time staple in the league. If Logan did find itself in an interesting position, the two best options for the Chieftains would probably be the OCC or MSL, whichever had openings.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Army ...

There are some instances where OVAC schools have banded together to form a "league." This guarantees scheduling among them, which the OVAC itself does not do.

It is possible that Marietta, for example, could leave the SEOAL for such a league and NOT be a member of the OVAC.

Prior to our entry into the SEOAL, the OVAC considered a vote to determine if it wanted to go to mandatory scheduling. It was defeated (consider, for example -- how many would have wanted to be forced to play Steubenville?). Had it not been defeated, we would most likely NOT have joined the SEOAL. But that vote caused our district into another consideration which, at that time, was the most viable one.

Because of our dual membership, some of our sports -- such as track, cross country, swimming, golf -- continue to participate in OVAC league meets (I think our golf team has won it three straight years).

Once we leave the SEOAL after this season, we will continue to be OVAC members unless we join a league that precludes it.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVITE THE REAL BEASTS OF THE SOUTHEAST BACK INTO THE SEOAL. ----------------------------------- THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY NOW, AFTER A COUPLE YEARS OF MEDIOCRE FOOTBALL. THEY ARE BUILT NOW FOR THE LONG HAUL. NOBODY WANTS TO DEAL WITH THAT YEAR IN , AND YEAR OUT. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

I can only hope that you're kidding, when it comes to schools running from Ironton. :roll:

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Gallipolis has cut back on assistant coaches in all sports. The Old French City may not be able to offer summer programs (weight lifting, open gum, etc.,) next year because of budget cuts.

If that happens, along with continued high gas prices, will GAHS and other schools have to go to club level athletics with volunteer coaches in the future?

Also understand the Gallipolis City School District may have to pay $250,000 back to the state because of a mistake on the number of students enrolled in the district last fall.

Another setback at GAHS this coming school year is all athletes have to pay a $90 participation fee, up $40 from last year.

That means if you've got three youngsters in grades 7-12 who play three sports it would cost a parent $270 per sport or $810 a school year.
Last edited by jottings on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GalliaGrad78 wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVITE THE REAL BEASTS OF THE SOUTHEAST BACK INTO THE SEOAL. ----------------------------------- THE IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY NOW, AFTER A COUPLE YEARS OF MEDIOCRE FOOTBALL. THEY ARE BUILT NOW FOR THE LONG HAUL. NOBODY WANTS TO DEAL WITH THAT YEAR IN , AND YEAR OUT. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

I can only hope that you're kidding, when it comes to schools running from Ironton. :roll:
---------------------------- JUST WAIT AND SEE WHO STARTS RUNNING THIS LEAGUE AGAIN. THEY'RE BACK.

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

WOW....what is happening the SEOAL over the last few years......

Army
S

Post by Army »

bman618 wrote:Don't see the SEOAL telling Logan to go away after being a long-time staple in the league. If Logan did find itself in an interesting position, the two best options for the Chieftains would probably be the OCC or MSL, whichever had openings.

If the SEOAL for some reason did fold due to these high gas prices continuing to rise, I could see Logan making their case to request to go into either league, but with that said, I doubt either one would say yes. Where would they go? The OCC and MSL is full up right now! Both have 8 team divisions already secured? I couldn't see either the MSL-Buckeye or Ohio Divisions saying come on in Logan? :-D

Can you see Bloom Carroll, Lancaster Fairfield Union or Amanda Clearcreek saying yes? :-D

Or a Newark Catholic D6 or Heath saying come on in Logan? :-D

Sorry, but I would have to agree, yes they would try, but doubt either conference would welcome that request. :-D

Most likely the only route or option they would have would be the MVL? And I don't see that league saying yes either. :-D

Especially, Crooksville D5 agreeing to play another D2 team. Do you? :-D

I would say Logan would end up playing as an Independent, until a possible new league could be formed. Maybe with some of the SEOAL Teams that were left after such a possible break up, and some other ones in the area.

Here is the new OCC Format starting this season:
Division A
Gahanna-Lincoln
Grove City
Groveport-Madison
Lancaster
Newark
Pickerington Central
Pickerington North
Reynoldsburg

Division B
Dublin Jerome
Dublin Scioto
Marysville
Olentangy
Olentangy Liberty
Westerville Central
Westerville North
Westerville South

Division C
Central Crossing
Dublin Coffman
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson
Thomas Worthington
Upper Arlington
Westland
Worthington Kilbourne

Division C
Big Walnut
Delaware Hayes
Franklin Heights
Hilliard Bradley
Mount Vernon
New Albany
Olentangy Orange
Watkins Memorial

Mid-State League

MSL-Ohio
Bexley
Granville
Gahanna Columbus Academy
Heath
Newark Licking Valley
Hebron Lakewood
Whitehall-Yearling
Newark Catholic

MSL-Buckeye
Circleville
Circleville Logan Elm
Columbus Hamilton TWP
Ashville Teays Valley
Canal Winchester
Amanda Clearcreek
Carroll Bloom Carroll
Lancaster Fairfield Union

MSL-Cardinal
Sugar Grove Berne Union
Lancaster Fisher Catholic
Grandview Heights
Canal Winchester Harvest Prep
Baltimore Liberty Union
Summit Station Licking Heights
Millersport
West Jefferson
Last edited by Army on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Jottings wrote:Gallipolis has cut back on assistant coaches in all sports. The Old French City may not be able to offer summer programs (weight lifting, open gum, etc.,) next year because of budget cuts.

If that happens, along with continued high gas prices, will GAHS and other schools have to go to club level athletics with volunteer coaches in the future?

Also understand the Gallipolis City School District may have to pay $250,000 back to the state because of a mistake on the number of students enrolled in the district last fall.

Another setback at GAHS this coming school year is all athletes have to pay a $90 participation fee, up $40 from last year.

That means if you've got three youngsters in grades 7-12 who play three sports it would cost a parent $270 per sport or $810 a school year.

Jottings,

Were there more or less students enrolled? $250,000? WOW!

Army
S

Post by Army »

Zanes-Vegas wrote:Army ...

There are some instances where OVAC schools have banded together to form a "league." This guarantees scheduling among them, which the OVAC itself does not do.

It is possible that Marietta, for example, could leave the SEOAL for such a league and NOT be a member of the OVAC.

Prior to our entry into the SEOAL, the OVAC considered a vote to determine if it wanted to go to mandatory scheduling. It was defeated (consider, for example -- how many would have wanted to be forced to play Steubenville?). Had it not been defeated, we would most likely NOT have joined the SEOAL. But that vote caused our district into another consideration which, at that time, was the most viable one.

Because of our dual membership, some of our sports -- such as track, cross country, swimming, golf -- continue to participate in OVAC league meets (I think our golf team has won it three straight years).

Once we leave the SEOAL after this season, we will continue to be OVAC members unless we join a league that precludes it.

So my question to your post is, does it look like those teams are going to come together and actually form some type of league? :-D

If so, when? I remember when you shared with some of us, after Zanesville was leaving the SEOAL, that Aronholt was working on gathering the teams listed except Parkersburg-South and try to form a Football and Basketball League with those teams? :-D

One of those teams being Marietta. :-D

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Army...More.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

You all missed your calling ..... should have been athletic directors!

High school sports - as we know them might become a thing of the past if this country continues to ___________________________________ - this is for the political forum.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Jottings,

Were you all classified still a D4 school or was the numbers high enough to raise you all back to D3? Was it just over-looked?

The present OHSAA Divisional breakdown goes:

Division III 257 to 364-Boys
Division IV 187 to 256-Boys

ZaneVegas,

If Marietta and the other 5 join such a league when will it probably take place? Is there any talk of asking Vincent Warren Local into that mix too?

Lets see the difference between the OVAC Teams and the SEOAL Teams:

OVAC Teams
Marietta to Parkersburg, WV (Parkersburg South H.S.) 15 plus miles.
Marietta to Glendale, WV (John Marshall H.S.) 73 plus miles.
Marietta to Zanesville, Ohio (Zanesville H.S.) 73 plus miles.
Marietta to Wheeling, WV (Wheeling Park H.S.) 93 plus miles.
Marietta to Wellsburg, WV (Brook H.S.) 109 plus miles.

SEOAL Teams
Marietta to Vincent Warren Local 16 plus miles.
Marietta to Logan 73 plus miles.
Marietta to Gallipolis (Gallia Academy) 68 plus miles.
Marietta to Jackson 88 plus miles.
Marietta to Chillicothe 106 plus miles.
Marietta to Portsmouth 126 plus miles.
Marietta to Ironton 159 plus miles.

Can't blame the Tigers for seeking elsewhere. :-D

I wonder if there is still talk of the TVC-Ohio forming three 5 team divisions?

I know there was talk of a:
TVC-Muskingum Division
Marietta
Vincent Warren Local
The Plains Athens
Pomeroy Meigs
McArthur Vinton County

TVC-Ohio Division
Wellston
Albany Alexander
Nelsonville-York
Stewart Federal Hocking
Belpre

TVC-Hocking Division
Corning Miller
Glouster Trimble
Waterford
Reedsville Eastern Meigs
Racine Southern Meigs

Lets see what Marietta's distance of travel would be in a TVC-Muskingum format.

Marietta to Vincent, OH (Warren Local H.S.) 16 plus miles.
Marietta to Athens, OH (The Plains Athens H.S.) 50 plus miles.
Marietta to Pomeroy, OH (Pomeroy Meigs Local H.S.) 48 plus miles.
Marietta to McArthur, OH (McArthur Vinton County H.S.) 75 plus miles.

If I was Marietta and Vincent Warren Local, I would be making my case to have a TVC with three divisions. Offering the TVC gifts and showering them with promises forever, if they let both Marietta and Vincent Warren Local in. :-D

I think, at least for Marietta, the OVAC format would be a closer league for them in comparison to the SEOAL. I am sure that goes for Vincent Warren Local too.
Last edited by Army on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

John Marshall High school is 71 miles from Marietta not 38

John Marshall is up near Wheeling.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Army ...

I do not know what the disposition of this proposed league might be. I'm a little too swallowed up right now with rebuilding Sulsberger Stadium and my son's Legion baseball schedule to keep up with it. But I don't believe that it is a hot issue at the moment anyway.

I think I answered the Warren issue before -- could be of interest, but I don't know as they've been included in any formal discussions.

I would say this -- plot where the schools are on your maps, and then overlay the interstate highways. Most of them are fairly close to either I-70 or I-77. THAT is where this league would show some merit. If you're going to have to travel fairly long distances to play another school, it's far better to do it on interstates than otherwise. I think most of the SEOAL membership should be able to understand that. In our case, it's a much "easier" drive to Marietta than it is to almost all other league schools.

Army
S

Post by Army »

swamisez wrote:John Marshall High school is 71 miles from Marietta not 38

John Marshall is up near Wheeling.

Thanks! Updated :!:

Return to “Football”