Ohio vs.WV

GAHS83
JV Team

Re: Ohio vs.WV

Post by GAHS83 »

mr.hyde wrote:The Ohio peeps are just sore losers. They can't get depth in the tourney so they have to tear down everybody else.

Wahama was a strong team.

Maybe the SEO teams need to admit they are more like W.Va. teams than the teams from the civilized parts of Ohio?
There's more to this than people in SE Ohio like to admit. In general (there are always some exceptions), if you combined OH and WV, the further north you are in that geographic area, the better the football is.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I agree southeastern Ohio football isn't on par with the northern part of the state ... or even the southwest part with Cinci and Dayton ... which is why I disagree with some posts on this thread ... some WV siders are comparing their quality of football to this part of the state, when in fact, SOUTHEASTERN OHIO and WEST VIRGINIA probably are not as good as NORTHERN, CENTRAL & SOUTHWEST Ohio teams.

its just a fact ... if it wasn't ... we would have won some titles in the last 15 years.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ohio is top 5 football and wv is bottom 5. We all remember parkersburg winning state and losing to Logan 60 to 0 in regular season. Seo can win state like northern ohio. Put athens skill on Trimble or all best linemen come to athens

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

93Bulldog wrote:The day WVU learns to play defense - is the day I MIGHT give them a shot against OSU ... but since they havn't and don't - I can name at least three other Ohio schools that would probably beat them.

:)
You are basing your comment that WVU doesn't play defense on one year? 3 other Ohio schools that would probably beat them? Really?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yep, osu, ohio, and moeller.lol

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I'm not going to take the time to look up population numbers but Athens = Morgantown? Parkersburg and Beckley = Marietta and Chillicothe?
If you go from Portsmouth to Circleville to Zanesville to Wheeling or just south of Wheeling... we are more like WV than the rest of Ohio whether you want to admit it or not.

I still want to know who those other 3 Ohio schools are that are going to beat WV... LOL

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Yep, osu, ohio, and moeller.lol

LMFAO... you are too funny. That's only 2 others by the way.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I REMEMBER SOME AWESOME IRONTON/WVA GAMES
the games with dupont, capital, cabell midland, huntington high, etc

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

1. Ohio State Buckeyes
2. Ohio Bobcats (the team that showed up in the bowl game)
3. Kent State - who played in the MAC championship and beat one Big East team already in Rutgers.
4. Toledo - who beat another Big East team in Cincinnati.

I mention the Big East because Syracuse, who thumped WVU in the bowl game, lost to both Rutgers and Cinci.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

93, surely you have been around and know enough that you don't compare scores.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Raiderball wrote:I'm not going to take the time to look up population numbers but Athens = Morgantown? Parkersburg and Beckley = Marietta and Chillicothe?
If you go from Portsmouth to Circleville to Zanesville to Wheeling or just south of Wheeling... we are more like WV than the rest of Ohio whether you want to admit it or not.

I still want to know who those other 3 Ohio schools are that are going to beat WV... LOL
So the top team in wv losing 60 to 14 means nothing. Southeast ohio has very little population and kills so called powerhouses from cities with 100k ppl in wv. We know we aren't Cleveland, youngstown, cbus, or Cincy. All of southeast ohio is smaller than one of those cities. Those cities have 2 or 3 catholic schools and rest are average. Like I said, put athens skill on Trimble and u win state 3 years in a row. Wv of 3million is way behind seo of 500 or 600k

Tdriver64
Waterboy

Post by Tdriver64 »

Didn't Desales play GW out of Charlston WV this year? I'm sure Desales rolled in that one didn't they?

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

GW 49, CD 20.

fbfever9
Freshman Team

Post by fbfever9 »

And Ashland beat GW 21-14, then got beat by Ironton 27-17..... it doesn't matter. You are also throwing in a traditional power who wasn't all that good this year. DeSales finished 5-5 against a weaker than usual (by their standards) schedule.

The bottom line is that like EVERY state, there are good and bad teams. There are some WV schools who would thump some Ohio schools and likewise going the other way. I think the arguement that most seem to be trying to make is this:

Rank ALL WV schools from best to worst 1 - whatever (50, 100, 300) the cutoff. Then rank ALL Ohio schools from best to worst. Then matchup 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, etc. and the Ohio schools are going to win a majority of the time.

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

GW played Ashland with WV State POTY Ryan Switzer, who was out with a concussion. He has committed to play at UNC.

GW lost 63-14 in the state semifinals to Martinsburg...and lost by 20 points to Capital.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

The fair comparison would be to rank all of WV against Ohio's southeastern schools. Even then, on average, I'm pretty confident that Ohio is stronger overall. Once you get past a few strong programs like Wahama, West Virginia football gets pretty thin pretty fast.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

wahama(5) vs liberty union or trimble
wayne(3 or 4) vs st clairsville, gallia, or athens
martinsburg(1) vs tri-valley or zanesville

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
Raiderball wrote:I'm not going to take the time to look up population numbers but Athens = Morgantown? Parkersburg and Beckley = Marietta and Chillicothe?

So the top team in wv losing 60 to 14 means nothing. Southeast ohio has very little population and kills so called powerhouses from cities with 100k ppl in wv. We know we aren't Cleveland, youngstown, cbus, or Cincy. All of southeast ohio is smaller than one of those cities. Those cities have 2 or 3 catholic schools and rest are average. Like I said, put athens skill on Trimble and u win state 3 years in a row. Wv of 3million is way behind seo of 500 or 600k
Name one city in WV with a population of 100,000.

http://www.citypopulation.de/USA-WestVirginia.html

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The Ohio River is an artificial barrier.

We have more in common with the WV schools than we do with the schools along and north of I-70 or along and north of I-71.

There are at least 10 cities in Ohio bigger than Charleston WV.

2009tigerfb
Waterboy

Post by 2009tigerfb »

P-burg is more than double the size of Marietta (31,000 compared to 14,000)

Return to “Football”