D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

Izladoom
All State

Re: D6 State Semifinal Valley vs Kirtland

Post by Izladoom »

Hoping kirtland looks past valley. I know we are not getting much respect on Twitter.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

The guy I talked to from Kirtland said they are a power I team with two tight ends and just line up and pound it. 80%of the time it is run. Nothing pretty or fancy. They just line up and pound it and dare you to stop it. They had over 300 yards rushing and had the ball over 34 minutes to control the clock against a very good Loudenville team.

thechosenone
Varsity

Post by thechosenone »

When the playoffs came up i picked loudonville to win it all and kirtland pounded them.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Is anyone doing Valley Tshirts/sweatshirts for the final 4?

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

lineman7 wrote:Is anyone doing Valley Tshirts/sweatshirts for the final 4?
Boosters are selling them: orders can be made at HS no later than Tuesday for game Friday

However they will probably still take regular orders also.

They are black with reference to state bound and regional champs design . The design is floating around on facebook if you know any Indian fans

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I'm trying to figure a scenario where valley can win this one. Here's the best two.

1. Valley opens up and let's Rolfe sling it. Matching score for score.

2. Valley plays bend but don't break defense. Makes Kirkland have long time depleting drives. And still matches scores

I don't think valley will keep them from scoring, but if they can match them, or speed up the game, then valley can win.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Over the past five years, here is Kirtland's record:

50-0 regular season
19-2 playoffs
69-2 overall
1 Division 5 Championship
1 Division 5 Runner-up
1 Division 6 Championship
5 conference championships
4 regional championships
1 regional runner up
The win against Loudonville was the Head Coach's 94th win in only his ninth year as head coach at Kirtland.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

nutronron2012 wrote:Over the past five years, here is Kirtland's record:

50-0 regular season
19-2 playoffs
69-2 overall
1 Division 5 Championship
1 Division 5 Runner-up
1 Division 6 Championship
5 conference championships
4 regional championships
1 regional runner up
The win against Loudonville was the Head Coach's 94th win in only his ninth year as head coach at Kirtland.

Now that's an impressive resume.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

He also wears jeans on the sideline

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Here's an interesting post from a Kirtland fan and parent from another site. Its a good read.

"Very nice summary of the Valley Indians team!

They sound like a formidable team, and I'm sure that the Hornets are looking forward to the challenge.

As I've posted on many threads before this one, the key to stopping Kirtland is to stop their running attack. The Hornets are a power I, two tight, ground and pound offense. They will get 3 to 4 yards per crack and chew up a lot of clock doing it. The last team to stuff Kirtland's running game was Coldwater, in the 2012 D5 Championship game. The last team before that to stop Kirtland's running attack was Ursuline, in the 2010 regional final game.

The Hornets just decisively beat an outstanding Loudonville team (that scored an average of 49 per game and gave up only 8 points per game) that many, including me, predicted would be D6 champs this year.

In order to beat Kirtland, I believe that a few things are going to have to happen:

1. I believe that the Indians quarterback is going to have to throw the ball early and often and maintain possession to keep Kirtland's offense off the field. That's a tall task because Kirtland has dominated time of possession this year against all teams that they've faced, including Loudonville, by an average ratio of 34 minutes versus 14 minutes.

2. Kirtland is going to have to have to make many, many mistakes, both multiple turnovers and multiple penalties. I know that it sounds like I'm bragging, but Kirtland is simply that good. The only team to stop Kirtland this year has been Kirtland. Kirtland runs a low risk offense with few passes, and no razzle dazzle. It's as exciting as watching paint dry, but if you're the opposing defense, its like Chinese water torture because Kirtland will just keep pounding and pounding the ball, and then they will pound it some more, 3 to 4 yards per crack, moving the sticks and eating up clock, and defenses have found themselves utterly helpless to stop it. That's where defenses start cheating 9 or 10 guys to the line to stuff the run, because everyone in the stadium knows what's coming, and that's when Kirtland will throw over the top or a runner will break through line the line for a long score. Again, I don't mean to brag, but it seems that I've been watching these Hornets do the same thing, over, and over, and over again for the past 5 years on a seemingly endless video loop.

3. The Indians have to find a way to stuff the Hornets' running game for 4 quarters. Some teams have done it for one quarter (Loudonville, for example), but Kirtland's offense has been able to grind and wear teams down on the ground as the game progresses. I'm sure that the Indians will put up a good fight, as they have had an impressive run of their own, and much to be proud of especially with the adversity that they faced this season (with the coach's heart surgery and couple difficult losses).

4. Kirtland's defense has only given up an average of 8.3 points per game this year. Matt Finkler, a 6'3", 230 pound LB has received much praise and attention this year as a D1 college recruit. When you get hit by Finkler, you'll feel it for a while! However, the unsung hero to me has been Ethan McCasilin, who plays DE and up blocking back in Kirtland's power I formation. I have to give him serious props as he was in the backfield against Loudonville on practically every play against bigger linemen. On offense, he has opened holes for Kirtland's other RBs, Hess and Boyd, both 1000+ yard rushers, each with 22TDs this year. Your QB is going to have his work cut out for him on Friday. His best bet is probably short, quick slants and screen passes. He won't have enough time for deep passes because Kirtland's defense will be holding team meetings in the Indians' backfield for most of the game. The Indians have to try to find a way to keep Kirtland "honest" by using play action passes, which means that the Indians have to try to establish some running game. Otherwise, it will be a long night for the Indians.

Best wishes to the Indians, and I hope that they can keep the score close in this one. While I'm certainly rooting for Kirtland (my son is on the team), I don't want to see any teams embarrassed on any level. I prefer to see close tough fought games."

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

GO VALLEY!!!!

Hope you guys win it all!

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Good luck valley!! The shoe is waiting on you!!

niholly
Freshman Team

Post by niholly »

Good Luck Valley, it is a tall task that you guys are taking on and possibly the best team you've faced during your amazing run over the past few yrs. Just leave it all out on the field, play flawless football and see where you're at after 48 min. Most importantly enjoy it only 4 teams left standing that's something to be proud of win or lose.

callie11
Freshman Team

Post by callie11 »

Have seen Kirkland play this year, the tribe has two chances, none and none.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

callie11 wrote:Have seen Kirkland play this year, the tribe has two chances, none and none.

Who is this Kirkland team you talk of? Clearly they are D1 college school or maybe an NFL team?

I have watched film on Kirtland, the team valley is playing, and they are excellent... but I believe they can be beaten

If you aren't pulling for Valley or willing to give real input then don't post

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

We know kirtland is the favorite to win. They might just be the best team valley has ever faced. Stopping their run game will not be easy. For us to win we will have to pass it a lot. I just don't see us running on them. No matter what happens I am proud of this team.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Back in 2002 they told West they had 2 chances against Ursuline which were none and none. The Siders chose option 3 and went out and won the football game.

The word "upset" is out there for a reason. Valley has to play the PERFECT game to upset Kirtland....but it is possible.

Roll Tribe

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

chicken_coop wrote:Back in 2002 they told West they had 2 chances against Ursuline which were none and none. The Siders chose option 3 and went out and won the football game.

The word "upset" is out there for a reason. Valley has to play the PERFECT game to upset Kirtland....but it is possible.

Roll Tribe
West was unreal that year. Valley has a chance because they are playing the game. All of SOC should rally around the tribe.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

GOOD LUCK INDIANS!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

wobycat wrote:
chicken_coop wrote:Back in 2002 they told West they had 2 chances against Ursuline which were none and none. The Siders chose option 3 and went out and won the football game.

Roll Tribe
West was unreal that year. Valley has a chance because they are playing the game. All of SOC should rally around the tribe.
Yes they were...but Ursuline was a MACHINE. They lost 5 games 3 of those were to 3 state champs, a D1 school and Cardinal Mooney. They crushed anyone close to thier size except West. Im just saying its possible.
Last edited by coop on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”