Week 1: Vinton Co-33 Unioto-20 Final

Eaglepapaw
S

Re: Week 1: Unioto (SVC) @ Vinton County (TVC-O)

Post by Eaglepapaw »

vctransplant wrote:True. True. Hopefully we will make them wish the were still with us.
Welcome back Transplant,missed your insight and knowledge on Viking athletics and look forward to a great year coming up. From what I've been hearing the Vikings are going to be a much improved team and may surprise a lot of folks on here.Hope to be able to catch a couple of games this year.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Would love to see ya there. The count down is on. 19 days and counting. Good luck to them Eagles!

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

17 Days!!! LETS GO VIKES!!!

GAHSGurlie
Waterboy

Post by GAHSGurlie »

35-22 in favor of the Vinton County Vikings.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Viking1995 wrote:35-22 in favor of the Vinton County Vikings.
The only prediction I'll make on the Shermans season is that they won't give up 35 to anybody this season. The defense should be very stout and athletic. They have only given up that many points twice in the past 2 seasons and I think this will be their best D under Coach Hudnell.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

15 Days!!! Bo VIKES!!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Danic, will you be attending the Unioto/Gallia scrimmage? I'd love to hear how it goes.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I'm going with V.C. by a score.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Watched Unioto scrimmage GA today and we better not sleep on them. They a physical and scrappy. I think Dannicalifornia is right no one will score 35 on them this year. I still think us by a TD. but we better be ready.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Roll Tanks

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Just saw a roster and Unioto has 61 kids out this year, I can't imagine a recent time when they have had that many. I guess that's what a small taste of success will do for a program. Hopefully that only means good things going forward for Coach Hudnell and the Shermans. I'll hopefully be able to stop out tomorrow and get a glance at them and then I'll make a game prediction.

After some major lean years, the Shermans have had much more success the past 4 years (3,3,4,5 wins after 0 in 07 and 08) and hopefully this is the year they get back over .500 for the 1st time since 02 and only the 2nd time since Ben Hartsock's graduation in 98. I think with the league not having a big dog for the 1st time in years, this could be a big year for the Purple and Gold!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

i like vinton county in this spot. maybe by 2 scores. Unioto has nice numbers and younger kids looking really good. but at the varsity level i think they are still a step slow. see this as vinton county 21-7

HustlinHornet
Waterboy

Post by HustlinHornet »

Question mark for the tanks is at QB, as Taborn is inelligible, but they have an athletic Junior and Sophomore competing for the spot (as well as, i have to mention, a 5 foot nothing freshman with a cannon- he should be something to watch in a few years once he can see over Austin Houser). Also, I think 61 is steep- Hudnell put that roster on the Site, but i think he just took every single athletic and/or freshman boy and put them on there. by seeing them on the field I would say 45-50 kids- still sizeable. The Shermans are rather big and talented- with a starting package of skill positions comparable if not better to any team they will play. Their size and experience will put them up in this one. although they lost some key linemen and skill positions, they return their Running Back Committee in large-part, and only lost 1 WR (McCalla not returning). They do pick up Detillion, though if he can stay healthy. The kid's back scares me. The U has 2 big TE's (Detillion and Sagraves [yes, I'm vouching for my brother- don't start a flame war]- both are 6'1- 220-230ish) as well as returners in every other skill position other than QB.

Defense shouldn't be a question. Metzler is a good coach, and we have Big kids. Ryan Spencer is returning at MLB- kid is mean. Sagraves, Detillion, Houser, Parker, Lindsey, Hosley, Fallow, North, Binegar, Staten, etc are all returning starters/ saw significant playing time last year.

Captains for the tanks are: Binegar 11, Sagraves 12, Spencer 12, Staten 12.

no score predicition, but Unioto wins.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Is the Caudill (spelling??) from VC playing? If so what position is he offensively and defensively?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Good breakdown sagraves.
doubleplay.. Caudill is playing. He will be a starting tight end and I believe he played some corner and linebacker last year so either one of those positions on defense. He will be a sophomore this year.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Dundas wrote:Good breakdown sagraves.
doubleplay.. Caudill is playing. He will be a starting tight end and I believe he played some corner and linebacker last year so either one of those positions on defense. He will be a sophomore this year.
Kid is and is going to be a player, and football not even his best sport. Coaching staff needs to find a way to get him some touches in addition to Ousley. VC has some upside and probably gonna surprise some people and win a few that no one was expecting them to in my opinion.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Caudill and Ousley (Tailback/Linebacker) are both sophomores. Add them in with junior Max Ward (wr/safety), junior jt Hayes (tailback/linebacker), and junior Quarterback Andy Long, and you've got a solid core group coming back next year as well. I look for this to be the year VC makes a move up the rankings but I am really looking at next season as a possible playoff contender. Hopefully they are 1 year ahead of schedule!

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Caudill is playing d/end this year.

GAHSGurlie
Waterboy

Post by GAHSGurlie »

Unioto is going to have to pick their poison against Vinton's offense this year. Take away Ward and the passing game, you'll have less men to deal with three 210+ RB's that are pretty fast for their sizes. Then add in Schrader and Long into the running game also, you've got the best rushing attack that VC's had in a long long time.

Now,if Unioto decides to stack the box & leave Ward, Wallingford and Hall alone, good luck. Long's arm will just pick apart the Sherman secondary. That is if he has enough time to throw.. Just like last year, Long needs the time to throw and make plays. He had good protection last night and he threw for probably about 100+ yards on a few passes.

Overall, this is by far the best offensive team VC's had in a long time. Probably since the last playoff contending class.

Defensively, VC looked great against a weak Huntington team. But they had some great plays with silly penalties that hurt them. Clean up the mistakes, VC's defense is pretty good too.

Can't wait for August 30th. Good luck to the Sherman Tanks. Hopefully both teams come out injury free. It's gonna be a good game if I say so myself. Lets go Vikings.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Viking1995 wrote:Unioto is going to have to pick their poison against Vinton's offense this year. Take away Ward and the passing game, you'll have less men to deal with three 210+ RB's that are pretty fast for their sizes. Then add in Schrader and Long into the running game also, you've got the best rushing attack that VC's had in a long long time.

Now,if Unioto decides to stack the box & leave Ward, Wallingford and Hall alone, good luck. Long's arm will just pick apart the Sherman secondary. That is if he has enough time to throw.. Just like last year, Long needs the time to throw and make plays. He had good protection last night and he threw for probably about 100+ yards on a few passes.

Overall, this is by far the best offensive team VC's had in a long time. Probably since the last playoff contending class.

Defensively, VC looked great against a weak Huntington team. But they had some great plays with silly penalties that hurt them. Clean up the mistakes, VC's defense is pretty good too.

Can't wait for August 30th. Good luck to the Sherman Tanks. Hopefully both teams come out injury free. It's gonna be a good game if I say so myself. Lets go Vikings.
Nicely put 95. Let us not forget Caudill at tight end and other role players like Martin and Sharp who are gonna be a big help in relief and role playing.

Return to “Football”