Wellston drops Jackson starting in 2020

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Wellston drops Jackson starting in 2020

Post by Ironman92 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm I understand completely. Starting 0-1 virtually every year stinks.
As for Jackson beating up an average or below average smaller school, does nothing but give them a win,it does nothing as far as preparing them for schools they will see in the playoffs.
And yet we’ve had our only postseason in our history of 2 playoff wins recently by opening with 4-6 Wellston

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

And I am sure beating up on a smaller, school who struggles more times then not help prepare Jackson a lot.
Don't get me wrong I root for Jackson in the Wellston match up, and I stick by is does nothing to help prepare them for the playoffs,
I also understand the gate.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 am And I am sure beating up on a smaller, school who struggles more times then not help prepare Jackson a lot.
Don't get me wrong I root for Jackson in the Wellston match up, and I stick by is does nothing to help prepare them for the playoffs,
I also understand the gate.
Not sure of the correlation.

2014...regular Jackson type schedule go 10-0, make playoffs, win in week 11 and then played DeSales right in week 12

2015...regular Jackson schedule and go 9-1, make playoffs, drill Bexley in week 11, beat Bishop Watterson in week 12, lose to Zanesville in regional final

2016...schedule up by playing the regulars (Burg, Chillicothe) but add Winton Woods and WV power Cabell Midland....miss playoffs

2017....back to regular type schedule make playoffs but lose in week 11

Maybe the athletes decide who wins in the playoffs more times than not

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What’s this do for Wellston? You hope things are done well and replacing this game with a likely win will get them some points and with their improvements a playoff appearance or two....if that happens you can see a rebound of the entire Wellston program that may last a long long time, maybe helping to keep Wellston athletes in Wellston.

If they keep going 4-6 and 5-5 and don’t play Jackson...I think it gets worse and their losing of athletes continues.

Coach seems to have the kids going the right direction so hopefully they keep progressing the right direction.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

You hate to see a long-time rivalry like this end, but it's probably a good thing for both schools. Wellston can schedule an opponent it can compete with better and Jackson can schedule an opponent that can bring it more playoff points.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Why would Wellston want to continue losing for a few thousand dollars? If you think athletic departments are self sufficient nowadays, you are sadly mistaken! Most schools that I know have to use general fund money to support the athletic department. Jackson fans ,would you keep a team on your schedule that you lose to almost every 6ear for $15000 every two years? I dont think you would support it.

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Post by WellstonLover »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:46 pm Why would Wellston want to continue losing for a few thousand dollars? If you think athletic departments are self sufficient nowadays, you are sadly mistaken! Most schools that I know have to use general fund money to support the athletic department. Jackson fans ,would you keep a team on your schedule that you lose to almost every 6ear for $15000 every two years? I dont think you would support it.
They do that with the burg haha

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

WellstonLover wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:57 pm
eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:46 pm Why would Wellston want to continue losing for a few thousand dollars? If you think athletic departments are self sufficient nowadays, you are sadly mistaken! Most schools that I know have to use general fund money to support the athletic department. Jackson fans ,would you keep a team on your schedule that you lose to almost every 6ear for $15000 every two years? I dont think you would support it.
My thoughts exactly . But you have to work harder to catch the best small school program In Ohio. I would be very upset if Jackson dropped Burg despite the losses .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:02 pm
My thoughts exactly . But you have to work harder to catch the best small school program In Ohio. I would be very upset if Jackson dropped Burg despite the losses .
Same here

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Wellston superintendent and AD both wanted to keep it. Why would they want to keep it? Must’ve had a reason or two.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Jackson/Burg series started in 2012, with Jackson 1 win.

Can only go back to year 2000 on Joe Eitels site, but fro those 17 years Wellston has won 1 game against Jackson.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Wellston superintendent and AD both wanted to keep it. Why would they want to keep it? Must’ve had a reason or two.
Don’t know, but I am just giving why I would make the decision to drop them. Why would Jackson want to keep them?

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Both schools make a lot of $$ off of this game. When Wellston host it pays for 40% of the total athletic budget for all sports for the entire school year. That is why the Wellston AD and Superintendent want to keep it.
Last edited by hsfbfan on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Don’t know, but I am just giving why I would make the decision to drop them. Why would Jackson want to keep them?
I am glad it's over . I don't blame wellston at all

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hsfbfan wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:17 pm Both schools make a lot of $$ off of this game. When Wellston host it pays for 40% of the total athletic budget for all sports for the entire school year. That is why the Wellston AD and Superintendent what to keep it.
There is a reason both supers and both AD’s want this to continue.

Bring on Gallia Academy

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Wellston is just adopting Portsmouth's philosophy: "If you can't beat 'em, run away with your tail between your legs".

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

I think Jackson should look to schedule Upper Arlington or Pickerington Central. Cicinnati Colerain or St. X would be good, too! That would be a good opener. What do you Ironmen guys think?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ravensfan09 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:19 pm I think Jackson should look to schedule Upper Arlington or Pickerington Central. Cicinnati Colerain or St. X would be good, too! That would be a good opener. What do you Ironmen guys think?
What’s your comparison? Please say D1 to D3

I know one thing....as many Wellston players have shown on twitter, they work their tails off and cherish the chance to knock Jackson off. Jackson would never beat those teams but our kids would love to go up against a team like that. Any team should.....but I feel your comparison is very bad.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Why is that bad? Why don't you guys open your season for 50 years playing a school that doubles your enrollment. I agree you wouldn't ever beat them, so I guess you guys are looking to adopt the Portsmouth philosophy, and run from them with your tails between your legs?

Jackson is a nice program, but who are your tough games? I'll give you DIVISION 5 Wheelersburg and Chillicothe, but then who??? You all need to adopt your philosophy and cherish the opportunity to play someone good! Playing a guaranteed 8 win schedule isn't good for one of the biggest schools in the area.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That was an Ironton/Portsmouth poster who made that statement.

I’ve already spoken that Wellston kids aren’t running from this game....they wanna play it from all I’ve read.

To answer your “who we play?” I answered it above when talking to Licking County Fan.

The D1 to D3 isn’t equal to D3 to D5

Jackson has 75% more boys than Wellston per OHSAA enrollment numbers. St Xavier has 400% more boys than Jackson. The difference between Jackson boys and Wellston boys is a small D6 school....The differ nice between St Xavier and Jackson is a huge D1 school and nearly 1,000 boys. I believe you could add Jackson + Wellston+ Oak Hill all together and St Xavier still has more than double the boys and the difference would still be a D1 school.

Return to “Football”