Meigs(22) @ (26)Logan

doubleplay643
S

Re: WK3 (1-1) Meigs @ (0-2) Logan

Post by doubleplay643 »

Honestly struggling a little bit with the Chiefs "falling off" a bit or at least what it seems based on what I have read.

Was pretty familiar up until last year with how each Logan class stacked up comparatively since I have watched them play Jackson from 7th all the way through varsity for last 5-6 years. This years sophomore and junior class should be I thought fairly physical and athletic unless there has been some kids not play or something else I am missing. I would have predicted they would have filled in missing pieces to the senior class fairly effectively.

The Dublin game doesn't count it just is what it is, can't really judge much by that other than effort perhaps, but I thought they would compete against TV. The special teams maybe helps explain that a bit.

This week at home I would expect them to get untracked and beat Meigs, if not then it may be a pretty rough season.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Logan gets a breather this week. Meigs is banged up and just does not have the horses to compete with a D2 school. Even if it is Logan. Next week will be a little tougher on them, and the following week it will be back to the wood shed for the Chiefs. But they have relief coming in the form of Athens, and then an easy win with Minford so if they stay healthy 5-5 is still a possibility. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Back to playing SEO teams will help a young Logan team. And special teams always open up a close game othwise if you make mistakes. Schedule gets easier.

Have gun, will travel
BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Unfortunately for Meigs, they've spent the last two seasons banged up.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:17 am I know I'm usual an optimist about the Chiefs.

But last week was maybe the most disappointing game I can remember. Teays Valley is a good football team - and better than Logan - but no where near 35-7 better.

The two kick off returns didn't feature amazing return men. Outstanding blocking. Or even luck.

Logan had poor effort and desire. On the opening kick off four players ran themselves out of the play. No one got within about an 8 yard halo of the kid.

And then Logan gets themselves back in the game thanks to a HUGE TV fumble - and they kick again - to a different player - and have almost a repeat of the same kick off.

Logan's offense can not make plays in the passing game. So TV was putting 9 guys in the box. Logan's offense is really designed for misdirection or offense, which makes it really hard to run the football against 9. When you run the wing-t or triple option you can swing numbers in your favor, but it's not really what Logan has ever done.

I'd expect Logan to use more QB run game in the future to help out with the numbers problem.

This isn't an awful team, the offensive line is battling. The defense is pretty darn good. The backs run hard. The QB is smart and a good athlete. I think they'll figure it out. but it needs to happen quick.

Friday is pretty close to a "must win" for this team.
LL you are so right on that! These boys aren't that bad. All are very talented.

AT THE RESERVATION
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm Back to playing SEO teams will help a young Logan team. And special teams always open up a close game othwise if you make mistakes. Schedule gets easier.
You forgot to mention it's back to playing D4 and D5 SEO teams. :lol:

But those D3 SEO teams, though still smaller than Logan, make it a little tougher on the perennially ever so "young" Chiefs. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:37 pm Back to playing SEO teams will help a young Logan team. And special teams always open up a close game othwise if you make mistakes. Schedule gets easier.
Make up your mind :lol:
First you say to stop playing Southeastern Ohio teams so they can get into a central Ohio league, then you say they should play Southeastern Ohio teams because they are young.
Pick one........... :roll:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Mind is made up. Over time the schedule will change and they will stop playing most SEO teams. For now, the schedule is what it is as they scramble to find games. Given the youth, playing SEO teams will be a breather to playing Central Ohio teams. :lol:

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

doubleplay643 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:27 am Honestly struggling a little bit with the Chiefs "falling off" a bit or at least what it seems based on what I have read.

Was pretty familiar up until last year with how each Logan class stacked up comparatively since I have watched them play Jackson from 7th all the way through varsity for last 5-6 years. This years sophomore and junior class should be I thought fairly physical and athletic unless there has been some kids not play or something else I am missing. I would have predicted they would have filled in missing pieces to the senior class fairly effectively.

The Dublin game doesn't count it just is what it is, can't really judge much by that other than effort perhaps, but I thought they would compete against TV. The special teams maybe helps explain that a bit.

This week at home I would expect them to get untracked and beat Meigs, if not then it may be a pretty rough season.
DP -

The strength of this team is still the Sophomores/Juniors. Only one significant deflection there.

And they are a physical group. They were completely mismatched against Jerome, as expected, but except for the horrendous special teams efforts they weren't out muscled or outplayed by Teays. It looked to me like Logan WAS missing some key kick coverage guys from the sophomore/junior classes who were in street clothes. Same guys weren't in the JV game on Saturday.

This IS the best Logan defense since Logan was in the playoffs. They are a little undersized up front, but the linebackers and safeties can really get to the football and make plays. The corners have performed well as well so far. The one big pass play TV got was on a busted coverage - TV went "quick" on a third and ten and Logan didn't get line up quickly enough.

On offense, the line is physical and the backs are solid. Like I said above - it's REALLY hard for a traditional pro-style offense to run the ball on eight and nine man boxes. And so far they have not been able to take advantage of these situations in the passing game.

Whether it ends up being more option and misdirection to get back to even on numbers I don't know, but I think this staff will figure it out. The offensive guys are good at figuring out how to win - they were here before in Burke's first year (2013) after Lane Little broke his collarbone in the first game of the season. That team went 6-4 and won the SEOAL.

I still think this team has a floor of three wins - but the ceiling has dropped from 8 wins to 6 or 7. I think I'll know more after Friday.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

loganlocos wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:26 pm
doubleplay643 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:27 am Honestly struggling a little bit with the Chiefs "falling off" a bit or at least what it seems based on what I have read.

DP -

The strength of this team is still the Sophomores/Juniors. Only one significant deflection there.

And they are a physical group. They were completely mismatched against Jerome, as expected, but except for the horrendous special teams efforts they weren't out muscled or outplayed by Teays. It looked to me like Logan WAS missing some key kick coverage guys from the sophomore/junior classes who were in street clothes. Same guys weren't in the JV game on Saturday.

This IS the best Logan defense since Logan was in the playoffs. They are a little undersized up front, but the linebackers and safeties can really get to the football and make plays. The corners have performed well as well so far. The one big pass play TV got was on a busted coverage - TV went "quick" on a third and ten and Logan didn't get line up quickly enough.

On offense, the line is physical and the backs are solid. Like I said above - it's REALLY hard for a traditional pro-style offense to run the ball on eight and nine man boxes. And so far they have not been able to take advantage of these situations in the passing game.

Whether it ends up being more option and misdirection to get back to even on numbers I don't know, but I think this staff will figure it out. The offensive guys are good at figuring out how to win - they were here before in Burke's first year (2013) after Lane Little broke his collarbone in the first game of the season. That team went 6-4 and won the SEOAL.

I still think this team has a floor of three wins - but the ceiling has dropped from 8 wins to 6 or 7. I think I'll know more after Friday.
Ok, that makes sense to me and puts some clarity into what I was thinking with those two classes (sophomores and juniors) being a handful through their varsity years.

I just glanced at your schedule and think 6-7 is likely and 8 is not out of the question but Chilli will be a handful for anyone this year, so I will go with 7.

And, I saw what you did there with the 2013 SEOAL reference and slipping that in lol...a gift from Jackson ;).

Good luck this week.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Paladin wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 pm Mind is made up. Over time the schedule will change and they will stop playing most SEO teams. For now, the schedule is what it is as they scramble to find games. Given the youth, playing SEO teams will be a breather to playing Central Ohio teams. :lol:
You forgot to mention that playing D4 and D5 teams "will be a breather" from playing teams from schools their own size. :lol:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

doubleplay643 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Ok, that makes sense to me and puts some clarity into what I was thinking with those two classes (sophomores and juniors) being a handful through their varsity years.

I just glanced at your schedule and think 6-7 is likely and 8 is not out of the question but Chilli will be a handful for anyone this year, so I will go with 7.

And, I saw what you did there with the 2013 SEOAL reference and slipping that in lol...a gift from Jackson ;).

Good luck this week.
Logan could use more of the "grit" that 2013 had.

I think with our offense 6+ wins is optimistic. But still like where the program is. This team is one outside threat away from being a playoff contender IMO.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan will probably go 3-7 or at best 4-6

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:39 pm Logan will probably go 3-7 or at best 4-6
Yes they'll need to schedule a lot more D4 and D5 teams and sprinkle in a few D6 and D7 teams if they want a chance to do any better than that. :mrgreen:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Troll

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:39 pm Logan will probably go 3-7 or at best 4-6
I will take that bet, and put a side wager they "upset" you for what the third year in a row?

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Sorry to hijack the Meigs thread lol, back to the topic.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Ground Buck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Yes they'll need to schedule a lot more D4 and D5 teams and sprinkle in a few D6 and D7 teams if they want a chance to do any better than that. :mrgreen:
Opinions like that is why you do not COACH anymore! :mrgreen:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

moonshine wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:14 am
Ground Buck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 pm
Opinions like that is why you do not COACH anymore! :mrgreen:
bucky i was wondering..... do you go on the athens threads and say stuff like this to them or are you chicken?

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

They know who he is and is chicken.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Football”