Region Change Could End Gibsonburg's Dream Season, Time To Look At Ranking Changes

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Region Change Could End Gibsonburg's Dream Season, Time To Look At Ranking Changes

Post by EasternDspy »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:24 am
radiodavel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:10 pm The Top 32 ranked teams will not compete for the State title
It has been this way for eternity in Ohio. There are several teams every year that would or would not have made the playoffs had they been in a different region, so no, one random example this year doesn't mean there's a need to overhaul the entire system.

The state is too big geographically and there are too many teams to throw everyone into the same pool.
224 schools make the playoffs, over 1/3 of all schools. It is a pretty good system with lots of opportunity for just about every situation (big schools, small schools, powerhouses, budding programs, urban, rural, public, private, etc.).

That’s why I purposed to take top 32 teams by harbin points then have a committee seed them by geography.

enigmaax
All State

Re: Region Change Could End Gibsonburg's Dream Season, Time To Look At Ranking Changes

Post by enigmaax »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 am
radiodavel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:10 pm The Top 32 ranked teams will not compete for the State title
It has been this way for eternity in Ohio. There are several teams every year that would or would not have made the playoffs had they been in a different region, so no, one random example this year doesn't mean there's a need to overhaul the entire system.

The state is too big geographically and there are too many teams to throw everyone into the same pool.
224 schools make the playoffs, over 1/3 of all schools. It is a pretty good system with lots of opportunity for just about every situation (big schools, small schools, powerhouses, budding programs, urban, rural, public, private, etc.).

That’s why I purposed to take top 32 teams by harbin points then have a committee seed them by geography.
That still doesn't improve anything (mostly because there isn't a huge problem to begin). What is the trade off? A couple different teams every year make the playoffs and you still create the potential that there'd be longer trips for some of the other schools involved. Somewhere in that plan, some schools are going to have to play out of their region because the "new" regions (your re-seeding) would be unbalanced.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 am

My fear would be that this would be the same committee that thinks it is a good idea to hold the state championships in Canton instead of central Ohio. Lol

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Seeding by geography, wouldn't seem to help. If we were seeding the top 32 teams.. what if 4 of the top like 6 schools are from the same area? Now they're gonna be mad because they're a top 32 team and have to play a top 5ish team in round 2 while you may have another area playing games vs low 20s in 2 straight rounds.

dpatty
Freshman Team

Post by dpatty »

How about this method. 1-4, and 28-32. Mix and match to create the least amount of distance with each matchup. We might have 1 vs 28 and 2 vs 32 but we are saving drive time, gas, etc.

If someone wants to do this with a Division, be my guest, I dont have the time to right now but I am interested in seeing the results.

dpatty
Freshman Team

Post by dpatty »

This may have been suggested already but another solution could be, Top 6-7 from each region then the best 8 or 4 regardless of region.

Return to “Football”