RD 3: Warren (7-1) @ St Clairsville (7-0)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: RD 3: Warren (7-1) @ St Clairsville (7-0)

Post by noreply66 »

If you are slow, speed will get you, no matter the size.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 pm
Ff3233 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 pm
countywide35 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:16 pm Warren , Belpre , Fort Frye , St Clairesville. Good football happening in that part SEO too
Belpre? Did you say good football belpre?

Well.....better....I should say....
Shadyside, Barnesville and River are also still alive and are geographically in SEO.

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 pm
countywide35 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:56 pm
Ff3233 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Belpre? Did you say good football belpre?

Well.....better....I should say....
Shadyside, Barnesville and River are also still alive and are geographically in SEO.

Yeah there’s quite a few teams still left in SEO.
NY , Ironton, Tha Burg etc.....
My post was more towards the Washington countians and giving them Praise for what’s happening there with multiple schools. I should have been a little more detailed. I left the door open to be picked at for the flaws of the statement.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Is this round of playoffs Sectional Championship games or we still a week away ?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 am Is this round of playoffs Sectional Championship games or we still a week away ?
This would be the Regional Quarterfinal in a normal season. Every top 8 seed except the 6 is still in our region.

Bluroon
Riding the Bench

Post by Bluroon »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:04 pm If you are slow, speed will get you, no matter the size.
Spot on!! I've watched several games over the years where a team exploits another teams size with speed. Last season, JG being much smaller up front handed St.C its last loss by setting up mismatches, working the edges, hitting passes, and defensively having aggressive linebackers. I have not seen St.C this season but if Warren's coaching staff can find the ''mismatch" then this could be a good match up. Best of luck to the Warriors
Last edited by Bluroon on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

beg003 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am
countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 am Is this round of playoffs Sectional Championship games or we still a week away ?
This would be the Regional Quarterfinal in a normal season. Every top 8 seed except the 6 is still in our region.

So two more games before the Regional championship correct ?

beg003
All Conference

Post by beg003 »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:04 am

Yes, this one and the semifinal

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

In this Covid season if compared with basketball season, this week is the district tourney :lol: :lol:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

FANOSPORTS wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am

In this Covid season if compared with basketball season, this week is the district tourney :lol: :lol:

I don’t mean to be getting off topic. But this Warren team has me going through the years of history. When they were good so forth. I remember a real darn good football team Warren had and that was their 1996 team. I was a 10th grade starting LB on prolly what is the best if not the best top2 team(s) Jackson has ever fielded. We were 10-0 that year regional runner up and the game against Warren was unbelievable. It was a modern day BIG12 score in the era that the air raid was just getting going. The final score that night was Jackson 64 Warren Local 42 You would have thought we just got beat by Warren with that dead silence of disappointment that a team just scored 42pnts on our defense. Shane Wolford for Jackson ran wild. With a few others as well obviously. But we just couldn’t not stop Warren that night. Maybe a Taylor was at QB. I can’t recall. Maybe one of You of Warren Warriors could think back to that time
And recall for sure the QBs name. Maybe it first name was Shawn? I don’t know. But what I do know is that kid slung it all over us that night in Jackson. It was like a 1000yrds ofntotalnoffense between us two teams. 106total points. I mean it was awesome that night. Of course us defense guys was shell shocked. Nobody did that to us. Not DeSales. No one. But that QB that night from Warren was pretty darn special.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Sports I know you are not from Washinton County. I didn’t mean to send that history game to Yiu. I hit the wrong avatar. My bad

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

countywide35 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm

I don’t mean to be getting off topic. But this Warren team has me going through the years of history. When they were good so forth. I remember a real darn good football team Warren had and that was their 1996 team. I was a 10th grade starting LB on prolly what is the best if not the best top2 team(s) Jackson has ever fielded. We were 10-0 that year regional runner up and the game against Warren was unbelievable. It was a modern day BIG12 score in the era that the air raid was just getting going. The final score that night was Jackson 64 Warren Local 42 You would have thought we just got beat by Warren with that dead silence of disappointment that a team just scored 42pnts on our defense. Shane Wolford for Jackson ran wild. With a few others as well obviously. But we just couldn’t not stop Warren that night. Maybe a Taylor was at QB. I can’t recall. Maybe one of You of Warren Warriors could think back to that time
And recall for sure the QBs name. Maybe it first name was Shawn? I don’t know. But what I do know is that kid slung it all over us that night in Jackson. It was like a 1000yrds ofntotalnoffense between us two teams. 106total points. I mean it was awesome that night. Of course us defense guys was shell shocked. Nobody did that to us. Not DeSales. No one. But that QB that night from Warren was pretty darn special.
It was Shawn Taylor, who is a current coach and whose son, Kurt, is the starting QB this year (and whose other son, Trent, will likely be the starter for the next 3 years). Kurt broke just about every school season and career passing record in the last two years, surpassing his dad (who was either #1 or #2) in all those categories.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

enigmaax wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 pm

It was Shawn Taylor, who is a current coach and whose son, Kurt, is the starting QB this year (and whose other son, Trent, will likely be the starter for the next 3 years). Kurt broke just about every school season and career passing record in the last two years, surpassing his dad (who was either #1 or #2) in all those categories.

Is that right ??????? Wow....thanks for that info. Pretty cool stuff. Gonna make me fellow this even more so now.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Shaun Taylor was the QB and is the father of the current QB at Warren.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

96Champ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:15 pm This is going to be a dog fight. Who throws the last punch
Like Warren's last game it might be who blocks that last punch!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Common. Sectional champions are basically the thing of the past unless you have a bad program or it’s a minor sports.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

E High wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:49 am
Common. Sectional champions are basically the thing of the past unless you have a bad program or it’s a minor sports.

Yeah you are right it. I understand that. But with the playoffs in modern day football the prestigious of a post season playoff berth is all but gone. Especially this year. Every team in So my apologies if I have lost track of these “play-off” games to get to the top 4 teams of each region. Which if I’m
Not mistaken the OHSAA expanded the playoff to the top 12 teams if each region beginning in the fall of 2021?? I maybe wrong in saying that. It will be great teams that are not aged to ever playing a post season game. The next 15yrs for them will be a fun time and a chance to change the programs history. For programs like Trimble, N-Y, Jackson , Ironton, Tha Burg, Waverly, etc.will only be talked about for not making the 12team play-off

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:00 am

Yeah you are right it. I understand that. But with the playoffs in modern day football the prestigious of a post season playoff berth is all but gone. Especially this year. Every team in So my apologies if I have lost track of these “play-off” games to get to the top 4 teams of each region. Which if I’m
Not mistaken the OHSAA expanded the playoff to the top 12 teams if each region beginning in the fall of 2021?? I maybe wrong in saying that. It will be great teams that are not aged to ever playing a post season game. The next 15yrs for them will be a fun time and a chance to change the programs history. For programs like Trimble, N-Y, Jackson , Ironton, Tha Burg, Waverly, etc.will only be talked about for not making the 12team play-off
To answer your question and equate the two tournaments, the sectional tournaments always reduce the total number of remaining teams to 64 in a given division, while the Regional tournament further reduces it to 16. So a sectional champion is one of the final 64 teams and a district champion is one of the final 16.

Depending on the size of the sectional and seeding of a team in basketball, it takes 7-9 games to win state, but it is always 6 games from district semi-finals to state finals. In football, it normally takes five games, so essentially playoffs start at the district championship equivalent.

When it goes to 12 teams, the first round games of 5 v. 12, 8 v. 9, etc. are at the same mark as a district semifinal. Essentially, every football playoff team has “won” a sectional championship when you draw a line to correlate the two.

This year, the first round of the playoffs is the same level as a basketball sectional championship. There are less teams per region in football because there are more divisions, so a team who played a first round game would need to win 7 games to win a state title (same range as a high-seeded basketball team in a small sectional, where it is a one-game sectional). Last week’s games were the same as next year’s first round, except the 1-4 won’t have a game - they’ll still only need to win 5 games, while a 5-12 will need to win 6.

So this week, while it is nothing more than a regional quarterfinal that would be every team’s first round game in the past, is the same tier from a state title as a district championship - 5 wins from this point on to get a state title.

Sorry that’s long, but hopefully it makes sense to answer your original question.
Last edited by enigmaax on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

enigmaax wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:13 am
countywide35 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:00 am

To answer your question and equate the two tournaments, the sectional tournaments always reduce the total number of remaining teams to 32 in a given division, while the Regional tournament further reduces it to 16. So a sectional champion is one of the final 32 teams and a district champion is one of the final 16.

Depending on the size of the sectional and seeding of a team in basketball, it takes 7-9 games to win state, but it is always 6 games from district semi-finals to state finals. In football, it normally takes five games, so essentially playoffs start at the district championship equivalent.

When it goes to 12 teams, the first round games of 5 v. 12, 8 v. 9, etc. are at the same mark as a district semifinal. Essentially, every football playoff team has “won” a sectional championship when you draw a line to correlate the two.

This year, the first round of the playoffs is the same level as a basketball sectional championship. There are less teams per region in football because there are more divisions, so a team who played a first round game would need to win 7 games to win a state title (same range as a high-seeded basketball team in a small sectional, where it is a one-game sectional). Last week’s games were the same as next year’s first round, except the 1-4 won’t have a game - they’ll still only need to win 5 games, while a 5-12 will need to win 6.

So this week, while it is nothing more than a regional quarterfinal that would be every team’s first round game in the past, is the same tier from a state title as a district championship - 5 wins from this point on to get a state title.

Sorry that’s long, but hopefully it makes sense to answer your original question.

awesome rundown. Been one of the better explanations I have read.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 am awesome rundown. Been one of the better explanations I have read.
One thing I edited - districts are the last 64 teams, district championships are the last 32 teams (which is where we are now in football - 8 teams per 4 regions). There are always 2 district basketball games to make it to regionals.

Return to “Football”